Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Urban Meyer is the worst NFL hire of the last 10 years, easily!

On 1/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ministry of Pain said:

This is a pure last pay day of his life, there will no Pete Carroll reincarnation in Jacksonville, Pete is a completely different type of coach and I don't think Meyer will be able to hold the locker room together when things go South.

Didn’t Pete Carroll leave USC just before all hell broke loose on the Reggie Bush scandal? That seems easily as bad as the scandal hopping from Meyer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adam Gase has been hired twice in that span. A very risky hire to be sure, but no way it is the worst hire.

I didn't want to pound down in the Jags team thread but I did want to weigh in and see if others are left scratching their heads. -No NFL experience, NONE! Let's start there -A laundry list

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer told reporters that first-round RB Travis Etienne will take all of his minicamp reps at WR. “Worst case scenario you have a running back that's elite with receiver skills,” M

5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I don't think details of his contract are known, are they? That $12m amount was made up by the internet.

You’re not likely to find the details unless you get your hands on the actual contract. It was widely reported he was seeking 12 mil. Ian Rapoport pushed back on the story but it wouldn’t be the first time he carried water for the NFL (his bosses). It was widely reported Matt Rhule got 9 per from Carolina, so if you think Urban and his inflated ego would settle for anything in that ballpark or south of it, I don’t know what to tell you. Given his mercenary nature and possibility of this being his last big cash grab, I would be very surprised if he didn’t get the 12 or very close to it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Didn’t Pete Carroll leave USC just before all hell broke loose on the Reggie Bush scandal? That seems easily as bad as the scandal hopping from Meyer. 

What Carroll did was happening on every campus in the country. I had the pleasure of living in SoCal/LA/SantaMonica from '00-'08, got to watch USC rise the entire time. I grew up in Miami/South Florida on the Miami Hurricanes, there were similarities plus the. Canes won in '01 with a dream team, they bent a few rules like everyone else, players get money put in their laps/hands in a variety of ways. 

42 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

What Carroll did was happening on every campus in the country. I had the pleasure of living in SoCal/LA/SantaMonica from '00-'08, got to watch USC rise the entire time. I grew up in Miami/South Florida on the Miami Hurricanes, there were similarities plus the. Canes won in '01 with a dream team, they bent a few rules like everyone else, players get money put in their laps/hands in a variety of ways. 

They bought Reggie’s parents a house. That’s slightly more than bending a few rules. lol

This Urban Meyer hire has reeked of desperation from the start. Yeah the Jags are dysfunctional but this opening is the best since LaFleur went to Green Bay. These are the things the Jags have going for them:

-maybe the best QB prospect ever in their laps.

-extra picks in 1st, 2nd, 5th. 

-loads of cap space in a year where it matters a lot
-low expectations, so as a coach you’re getting three years 

-in a weak division

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

More Proof this turkey got a payday and will crawl with his tail between his legs from the NFL...wait a minute is he really going to get Trevor Lawrence? Because I mean there is a chance that Sasquatch saves the day and have a big say in all of this and if he's as good as I think he will be and the rest of the known Universe I mean there's a chance Meyer could actually win a few games, right?

This guy makes my skin crawl. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Tim Tebow!

33 yrs old and ready to start at Tight End

Well it's well known that TEs take time to mature. Sounds like Tim has been around plenty long enough.

• Like 3

Considering the cap room and draft capital they had, I really don't see them as all that improved. This is still a bottom 5 NFL team. I'd be kind of surprised if Meyer was still the HC in 2023.

39 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Tim Tebow!

The funny thing is, if Tebow had made the switch in say 2012 or so, I think he could have actually been a decent TE prospect. 

30 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Well it's well known that TEs take time to mature. Sounds like Tim has been around plenty long enough.

6 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Considering the cap room and draft capital they had, I really don't see them as all that improved. This is still a bottom 5 NFL team. I'd be kind of surprised if Meyer was still the HC in 2023.

The funny thing is, if Tebow had made the switch in say 2012 or so, I think he could have actually been a decent TE prospect. 

Maybe the Jags can start wearing lightning bolts on their sleeves. 

• Thinking 1
1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Tim Tebow!

Silver Lining - it will take some of the media attention/pressure away from Trevor Lawrence.  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

This is really giving me pause as to hopping on the Trevor Lawrence train. 

It was always Trey Lance. When you were a child, it was Trey Lance. As a teenager, Trey Lance. You grew up, Trey Lance. You moved to the suburbs, Trey Lance. You summered? Trey Lance. Yes, even in Urban areas, Trey Lance.

Oh dear word, did I just do all that to set up a horrible pun? Yes, yes I did. But the real point of this is Trey Lance.

• Like 1

2021 Week#1 will be the first JAX game I have any interest in watching since their 2017 playoff run. It wouldn't surprise me if Urban Meyer triples the season win total.

15 hours ago, trader jake said:

Silver Lining - it will take some of the media attention/pressure away from Trevor Lawrence.  :dunno:

They may be terrible, but it certainly won't be due to Tim Tebow taking the roster spot of some other developmental TE4 in August. 

• Like 1

Not sure why Tebow is on this team, and I love Tim Tebow. Perhaps it’s the work ethic, perhaps it’s the offense (I doubt that, bc the offensive mastermind behind Tebow is coaching in Gainesville right now). 

Urban hasn’t really been the same coach since he had the breakdown that led to him leaving UF. He could still recruit which brought him success at tOSU, but getting through the big 10 was not the same challenge as the SEC. 

I see this ending up kind of like spurrier only it will take a little longer bc he actually has a solid qb.

9 minutes ago, Gatorman said:

I see this ending up kind of like spurrier only it will take a little longer bc he actually has a solid qb.

Coughlin had a pretty nice run in the 90's, but since the 90's I think there's a very real chance Meyer is the most successful coach in Jacksonville. That Coughlin run was decades ago.

Posted (edited)

Tim Tebow would have been, at minimum, my second or third string QB for the past ten years.

Give him a great defense, good line/strong running game and he would win you games. You guys underestimate leadership and toughness at the QB position. 

This philosophy works for almost all QBs but teams are built so piss- poorly. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Tim Tebow would have been, at minimum, my second or third string QB for the past ten years.

Give him a great defense, good line/strong running game and he would win you games. You guys underestimate leadership and toughness at the QB position. 

Typically teams/players don't look to backups for leadership

I also think Urban was a terrible hire but it still might work out because of Lawrence. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I also think Urban was a terrible hire but it still might work out because of Lawrence. 

Urban might be the next Chuck Pagano.

• Laughing 2
10 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Urban might be the next Chuck Pagano.

Yep, I can also see shades of Bill O'Brien. He would still have his job if he had just stayed coach and not gotten into the GM role too. Amazing what an elite QB can do for a coach. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

How does one define leadership and toughness?

Tebow started for essentially one season - 2011.  As far as I can tell, he did not sustain any sort of meaningful injury during that season.

I believe Tebow had a reputation as a "tough" runner, but he led the league in fumbles and fumbles lost in 2011.

He did engineer a number of come-from-behind wins in '11.  But I can confirm as a Bears fan: sucking for the first 55 minutes only to pull victory from the jaws of defeat is not sustainable, it's not fun not watch, and it's not reasonable.

It is fascinating which players are labeled tough and soft.  Everyone knows about Cutler being "soft" when he failed to play on a sprained MCL, later confirmed as torn, in '10.  Brian Urlacher sprained his MCL in the final game of '11 and essentially missed the entire offseason, and no one blinked.  Perception is everything!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

This is what I think, too. And I think Lawrence will be in a position where we're forced to wonder what he could have been but for Meyer's playcalling and personnel decisions.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This is what I think, too. And I think Lawrence will be in a position where we're forced to wonder what he could have been but for Meyer's playcalling and personnel decisions.

It's unlikely that Meyer will call plays. Darrell Bevell is the OC.

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Certainly sounds like an overdrafted position to me.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

It's unlikely that Meyer will call plays. Darrell Bevell is the OC.

Right. But he'll certainly have an influence over the game plan and design, I would think. Plus, he's the last guy to make a decision about sending in the play. I don't know. I have little faith in Urban Meyer doing anything but flaming out a bit. Lawrence might keep him afloat with his natural talents, but it just seems like he's already out of his depth.

Now, he'll forget more football than I'll ever know, but I don't know, it just seems like he's out of his element.

"You're out of your element, Donnie!" - Walter, The Big Lebowski

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

Coughlin had a pretty nice run in the 90's, but since the 90's I think there's a very real chance Meyer is the most successful coach in Jacksonville. That Coughlin run was decades ago.

Marrone got to the AFC Championship game, Del Rio had a couple of good teams and won a playoff game. I don't think there is any reason to think Meyer will be better than either of them. He's a QB, but this is still a very rough looking, bottom 5 roster.

5 hours ago, Yenrub said:

Typically teams/players don't look to backups for leadership

Disagree wholeheartedly. Starters have more cache but there are leaders and follower on every team. There are varying degrees of leadership. Some by example. Others lead by being mentors and teachers. 

• Thanks 1

IMO, the Tebow thing is to build local buzz and interest in a team that really hasn't had much of that recently. Floridians will be interested to keep up with Tebow, and he brings a media circus with him wherever he goes. I'm not sure I see a leadership angle, as I am guessing the other players will all openly question why on earth is he there and what did he do to merit a roster spot. But if he sells some jerseys, puts a few fannies in the seats, and gets daily coverage for the team then it would be a win for the Jags.

4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

IMO, the Tebow thing is to build local buzz and interest in a team that really hasn't had much of that recently. Floridians will be interested to keep up with Tebow, and he brings a media circus with him wherever he goes. I'm not sure I see a leadership angle, as I am guessing the other players will all openly question why on earth is he there and what did he do to merit a roster spot. But if he sells some jerseys, puts a few fannies in the seats, and gets daily coverage for the team then it would be a win for the Jags.

I agree that is why they are doing the Tebow thing,  but I also think it's an example of Meyer being shortsighted.  He has a young team to develop and he thinks a media circus is good for that? He already had the thing with hiring his good old boy strength coach and now this. Doesn't make sense to me. 

I'll give him one thing though...he knows how to keep his team in the news that's for sure .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

You think a third string TE brings fans into the stadium? For how many games?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

You think a third string TE brings fans into the stadium? For how many games?

I'm in NE. They haven't stopped talking about Tebow this week. When the Pats brought him into training camp 8 years ago, they had so many media requests they couldn't fit everyone in their media room and had to move press conferences outside.

More recently, we have been to Florida many times (our son almost went to UF). There was Tebow stuff everywhere still and the locals kept talking about him playing football (when he was playing baseball at the time).

So yeah, there is a ton of interest in Tebow still. The fact that we are talking about a guy that will be 34 years old to start the season, is switching to TE,  and hasn't played in a game since 2012 should be indicative of that.

I don't know how many tickets Tebow will sell (some I would guess), but the media coverage of the Jags will definitely go way up.

13 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

I'm in NE. They haven't stopped talking about Tebow this week. When the Pats brought him into training camp 8 years ago, they had so many media requests they couldn't fit everyone in their media room and had to move press conferences outside.

More recently, we have been to Florida many times (our son almost went to UF). There was Tebow stuff everywhere still and the locals kept talking about him playing football (when he was playing baseball at the time).

So yeah, there is a ton of interest in Tebow still. The fact that we are talking about a guy that will be 34 years old to start the season, is switching to TE,  and hasn't played in a game since 2012 should be indicative of that.

I don't know how many tickets Tebow will sell (some I would guess), but the media coverage of the Jags will definitely go way up.

I personally still don’t get the appeal. Is it only because Tebow is a hardcore Christian or am I missing something else? 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

This is an excellent point that should not be overlooked and I will explain at least partially why there's a major disconnect. 

-First thing that needs changed/fixed is the mascot, period. There ain't no Jaguars in Florida and it really does nothing to pull people in or connect with the team. Miami has Dolphins, lots of them down here in open waters just off shore, not hard to find.  Do Buccaneers live in Tampa Bay? Who's to say but they celebrate pirates and buccaneers every year with the Gasparilla festival and Buccaneers are a big part of the history of Tampa Bay, it tied the city together. Jaguars??? I think the NFL, the owner who never named the team originally, and the fan base should work closely in renaming the team as a better reflection of Jacksonville. The Jags or Jaguars, it just doesn't make it easy to root for them. And the uniforms are hideous. The Jacksonville Makos/Sharks or some bird of prey that exists in Florida. We do have Florida Panthers but that's a hockey team already. 

-They continue to look half in and half out of Jacksonville with the owner's enthusiasm to play in London multiple times a year, there's been talk half a season could be played in London for them. There's extra stress right now loading up on to planes and flying across the ocean, I'm not anti-NFL abroad but it seems only a few franchises get their name called to play over in Europe during the NFL season. 

-Seond thing is you don't know Tim Tebow very well and the other players in Jacksonville at least this season will be too busy trying to save their own job to worry about who Tim Tebow is bumping by filling up a roster spot. Most in the NFL don't make it so I doubt he really is holding back anyone from becoming a star in the NFL. It didn't impact Kyle Pitts value in the draft. 

-I agree with you that this is a win for the Jags in terms of media and interest/buzz it creates. 

Tebow is the Kardashian of the NFL, who cares?

Man is this team a clown car show with Urban running it into the ground. Kahn's soccer team is about to relegated again - third time in the 8 years he has owned Fulham F.C. - and I would not be surprised if he is impatient with his $12M employee. He has gone through five managers in PL.

Then again, this guy gave Gus four years to amass 14 wins and Marrone finished last three of his four  years. But Urban has next level dysfunction vibes, this act is gonna wear thin fast IMO. Horrible hire. This is gonna be a painful period for a franchise that is addicted to misery. Fans deserve better.

4 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

-First thing that needs changed/fixed is the mascot, period. There ain't no Jaguars in Florida and it really does nothing to pull people in or connect with the team. Miami has Dolphins, lots of them down here in open waters just off shore, not hard to find.  Do Buccaneers live in Tampa Bay? Who's to say but they celebrate pirates and buccaneers every year with the Gasparilla festival and Buccaneers are a big part of the history of Tampa Bay, it tied the city together. Jaguars??? I think the NFL, the owner who never named the team originally, and the fan base should work closely in renaming the team as a better reflection of Jacksonville. The Jags or Jaguars, it just doesn't make it easy to root for them. And the uniforms are hideous. The Jacksonville Makos/Sharks or some bird of prey that exists in Florida. We do have Florida Panthers but that's a hockey team already. 

Fan contest back in the day to pick their name, right? I guess Florida Man liked the alliteration.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

There’s no Giants in NYC - except for maybe Nerlins Noel.

Giant buildings, Giant machines, Giants in Business, there's lots of them. But that name goes back 75+ years it would seem and so it's not an issue. There's no Lions in Detroit except in maybe a zoo but the history starts so long ago it's a non-issue in these places.

Jacksonville is a redneck town all the way, that's Southern Georgia for the most part, Nascar and Sport fishing, that logo and mascot could not be any further away from the target audience, it was not thought out well. And what looked cool at first with the teal and black over time has become a very ugly blend with the gold and off gold color being a lot more prominent and I think they look atrocious most weeks. I would flush the whole thing and get new colors, new mascot, you got a generational QB talent finally and I would let the fan base know it's a new day in Jacksonville...but wait they hired Urban Meyer and are starting a 33 year old ex-QB at Tight End who has never played the position or seen any NFL action in almost a decade.  

Yeah the uniforms and mascot are the least of their problems at the moment I suppose but there's a lot of truth in what i am writing here. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
23 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Giant buildings, Giant machines, Giants in Business, there's lots of them. But that name goes back 75+ years it would seem and so it's not an issue. There's no Lions in Detroit except in maybe a zoo but the history starts so long ago it's a non-issue in these places.

Jacksonville is a redneck town all the way, that's Southern Georgia for the most part, Nascar and Sport fishing, that logo and mascot could not be any further away from the target audience, it was not thought out well. And what looked cool at first with the teal and black over time has become a very ugly blend with the gold and off gold color being a lot more prominent and I think they look atrocious most weeks. I would flush the whole thing and get new colors, new mascot, you got a generational QB talent finally and I would let the fan base know it's a new day in Jacksonville...but wait they hired Urban Meyer and are starting a 33 year old ex-QB at Tight End who has never played the position or seen any NFL action in almost a decade.  

Yeah the uniforms and mascot are the least of their problems at the moment I suppose but there's a lot of truth in what i am writing here. 

Before we all get carried away, Tebow is far from a lock to make the final roster and no one has suggested he will be their regular starter. I don't believe he's officially signed yet, but I am guessing his contract will be for the league minimum with little or no signing bonus or guaranteed money. Essentially, he will be brought in for a tryout with very little risk or financial obligation from the team. Maybe he makes it through camp and ends up on the 53-man roster, but I doubt he will a) cost much, b) make the regular season roster, or c) be their starting TE. At this point he is famous for being famous. Who knows, maybe Meyer is looking at him as a player / coach, but I would be shocked if Tebow made any meaningful contributions on the field.

For comparison, when NE brought Tebow in as a potential TE conversion project, NE gave him $0 in guaranteed money so when they cut him they were not on the hook for anything and did not take any sort of cap hit. Eight years later, I can't see JAC doing anything different than what the Patriots did. By opening day, IMO, this whole thing will likely have been a blip on the offseason radar.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Before we all get carried away, Tebow is far from a lock to make the final roster and no one has suggested he will be their regular starter. I don't believe he's officially signed yet, but I am guessing his contract will be for the league minimum with little or no signing bonus or guaranteed money. Essentially, he will be brought in for a tryout with very little risk or financial obligation from the team. Maybe he makes it through camp and ends up on the 53-man roster, but I doubt he will a) cost much, b) make the regular season roster, or c) be their starting TE. At this point he is famous for being famous. Who knows, maybe Meyer is looking at him as a player / coach, but I would be shocked if Tebow made any meaningful contributions on the field.

For comparison, when NE brought Tebow in as a potential TE conversion project, NE gave him $0 in guaranteed money so when they cut him they were not on the hook for anything and did not take any sort of cap hit. Eight years later, I can't see JAC doing anything different than what the Patriots did. By opening day, IMO, this whole thing will likely have been a blip on the offseason radar.

Based on this thread title and the fact they are even thinking about how to make Tebow a part of the 53-man roster after almost a 10 year hiatus from any meaningful NFL games after he was run out of the NFL and one of the worst 1st round selections ever for a QB. 

You might understand why we are running this up the flagpole at the moment. 

-Some things we will be keying in on this season in regards to Meyer. Use of timeouts, challenges, awareness of NFL nuances and how flags are typically called, ability to mange the clock in the 4th quarter, his ability to accept blame for all the losses they are going to rack up this season. Number of players who land on the exempt list, those types of things. 

5 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Based on this thread title and the fact they are even thinking about how to make Tebow a part of the 53-man roster after almost a 10 year hiatus from any meaningful NFL games after he was run out of the NFL and one of the worst 1st round selections ever for a QB. 

You might understand why we are running this up the flagpole at the moment. 

-Some things we will be keying in on this season in regards to Meyer. Use of timeouts, challenges, awareness of NFL nuances and how flags are typically called, ability to mange the clock in the 4th quarter, his ability to accept blame for all the losses they are going to rack up this season. Number of players who land on the exempt list, those types of things. 

No offense, GB, but it's the media and football fans that are making the Tebow situation way more of a thing than it really is. I lived the Tebow-mania experience in NE. There was very little chance he made the roster. As I said, the Pats gave him nothing financially for a tryout. It was a media circus, but the media doesn't make roster decisions. Some felt that BB was doing Meyer and Tebow a favor by trying to create some buzz and potential interest from another franchise to bring in Tebow for a look, as all involved already knew he was never going to make the NE roster.

Meyer isn't saying Tebow is a lock to make the roster . . . in fact, it's more like Meyer is hemming and hawing if he should even sign him to the 90-man roster. Thirty-four year olds don't walk onto an NFL franchise and stick to play a position they never played before (especially when they haven't played the sport for years). I doubt that starts happening here. It should not take long for the Jaguars to figure out that Tebow is not an NFL caliber tight end.

There may be a litany of things coming down the road to bash Meyer on this year, but ultimately I doubt Tebow will be one of them. I literally would be SHOCKED if he ends up on their Opening Day roster. I would be surprised if they even gave him a spot on their practice squad. I expect a similar outcome as his baseball career (people don't make the major leagues when they haven't played the sport in years . . . and Tebow never made it all the way up to the majors in the regular season).

I can't for the life of me understand what Meyer / Tebow / the Jags are hoping to gain by this dog and pony show, but I doubt it amounts to anything more than the equivalent of NFL clickbait.