What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Cleveland at Kansas City -9.5 (57)*** Progressive vs State Farm (3 Viewers)

Cleveland has no defensive answer at all.  With the dropped passes by the Browns this game is over!  Good news Mayfield looks great.  
Mayfield has played well, and only has 3 points to show for it thanks to too many dropped balls and that screw job on the fumble/helmet to helmet. 

Anywhere else on the field you can't advance a fumble. It goes back to where the player lost the ball. Except there. So stupid.
I’m a fan of defense and I hate how all the rules have changed to favor offense. But this is such a stupid rule and maybe this will contribute to changing it. It should go to the spot of the fumble or at the very least make it a touchback with the fumbling team retaining possession. Loss of possession plus 20 yards of field position is the single most punitive call in the rulebook 

Doubt Cleveland was going to win anyway with a TD there but that was soul crushing fumble out of bounds when it would been 1st and goal at the 1.  Would have actually been likely better for him to be down at the 1 and run more plays so KC didn't get the ball back anyway.  In the end that pretty much put this out of reach.  Refs missed the penalty but what can you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody does Hindsight like Andy  ;)

If he scores instead of being hit H2H and fumble at the half yard line, we aren't having this discussion at all.
Except he didn't because he fumbled. 

It's not hindsight. A similar thing happened with a QB reaching over the goal line only to fumble (I forget who it was). Bad things happen when you expose the ball to turnover. Live to fight another day.

So what do you do about that touchback rule if you’re against it?

I like that it punishes dumb decisions but players are still not getting it. If they didn’t make it a turnover, what would be fair punishment for that kind of mistake?
Same as a fumble anywhere else. The ball isn't advanced. Back to spot of the fumble. Fixes everything. Fumble after crossing goal line is a score, anything before stays where it was fumbled unless recovered.

No idea how this rule ever existed.

Still a 2 score game 

Cleveland gets the ball 1st in the 2nd Half...Browns need a lot of bounces to go their way but KC cannot really milk clock thru the running game. If they can score a TD and make a stand on Defense, we got a football game. 

Browns have been kicked hard but that's nothing new for the Browns, all those miserable seasons should have hardened them for these situations. 

Still 30 Minutes of football left

-Should be noted that Mahomes didn't seem as bothered on the last drive before the half...the previous couple drives you thought maybe he might not be able to make the same throws and runs, he was looking better on the last drive, they just ran out of time. 

Anywhere else on the field you can't advance a fumble. It goes back to where the player lost the ball. Except there. So stupid.
Yea, such a dumb, game changing rule. It goes out at the 1, offense has ball at the 1.  It goes out 1 yard later, ball goes to the defense? wtf.

I don't think the offense should be rewarded for trying to score a TD and failing with the ball being spotted at the one. What I could live with is a touchback rule for the offense instead. First down at the 20.

Devastating, especially with the clear helmet-to-helmet. 
That's the part that people should be enraged about. I really don't get the hate for this rule, but I am really trying to avoid getting into why it at least makes sense as compared to any alternative.

I hate the rule, but that's a stupid mistake.  No need to reach out for the score like that. Plenty of time and you would have had the ball at the 1. Terrible. 

Oh no not The Dumbest Rule in Sports 

If the ball went out at the 1, Cleveland would have the ball at the 1. How does this rule exist?!????????
@SethCPayne: Lotta people on here claiming that's the dumbest rule in football have never tried to buy a beer in the 4th quarter.

Doubt Cleveland was going to win anyway with a TD there but that was soul crushing fumble out of bounds when it would been 1st and goal at the 1.  Would have actually been likely better for him to be down at the 1 and run more plays so KC didn't get the ball back anyway.  In the end that pretty much put this out of reach.  Refs missed the penalty but what can you do.
10 point play when you add in the FG.

So what do you do about that touchback rule if you’re against it?

I like that it punishes dumb decisions but players are still not getting it. If they didn’t make it a turnover, what would be fair punishment for that kind of mistake?
Was just coming to ask this.  I agree it's a stupid rule, but wondering what it should be.  Couple options (just brainstorming)

A:  Ball can't be advanced on one of these fumbles, Defense gets the ball at the 1 inch line.
B:  Ball is considered dead and stays with the offense on the 1 inch line.
C : Play does not count... goes back to redoing the down.
D : Some sort of weird touchback rule where the offense keeps the ball and it's backed up to the 20 yard line.
E:  You get 2 points and have to kick off the ball.

Yea, such a dumb, game changing rule. It goes out at the 1, offense has ball at the 1.  It goes out 1 yard later, ball goes to the defense? wtf.
Ok, it goes out at the 1, the offense gets it at the 1. Fair.

It goes out at the -1, the offense gets it at the -1? Automatic TD? Fair?

??? Am I losing my mind? Anywhere outside of the last 2 (or 4) minutes of a half, the fumble does not come back to the spot of the fumble, right? Right?
 Item 3. Out of Bounds.When a fumble goes out of bounds between the goal lines, the following shall apply: (a) If a fumble goes backward and out of bounds, the ball is next put in play at the inbounds spot by the team that was last in possession; (b) If a fumble goes forward and out of bounds, the ball is next put in play at the spot of the fumble by the team that was last in possession

(c) If a ball is fumbled in a team’s own end zone and goes forward into the field of play and out of bounds, it will result in a safety, if that team provided the impetus that put the ball into the end zone (See Rule 11, Section 5, Article 1 for exception for momentum). If the impetus was provided by the opponent, the play will result in a touchback; (d) Notwithstanding any of the above, when there has not been a change of possession during the down, and the spot of the ball is not at or beyond the line to gain after fourth down, the ball is awarded to Team B at the spot that the ball is declared dead. Item 4. Out of Bounds in End Zone.When a fumble goes out of bounds in the end zone, the following shall apply: (a) If a ball is fumbled in the field of play, and goes forward into the opponent’s end zone and over the end line or sideline, a touchback is awarded to the defensive team; or (b) If a ball is fumbled in a team’s own end zone or in the field of play and goes out of bounds in the end zone, it is a safety, if that team provided the impetus that sent the ball into the end zone (See 11-5-1 for exception for momentum). If the impetus was provided by the opponent, it is a touchback

Garrett has been a shell of himself since Covid. I hope he’s actually healthy enough to be playing and isn’t exacerbating lung damage or something. Had one play where he pressured Mahomes then got burned on the end around to Hardiman, who he ended up tracking down 40 yards later but then was so winded he missed the next series and has done nothing else. Just doesn’t look right to me 

Except he didn't because he fumbled. 

It's not hindsight. A similar thing happened with a QB reaching over the goal line only to fumble (I forget who it was). Bad things happen when you expose the ball to turnover. Live to fight another day.
i understand Andy, I do. But I also watched the KC defender lead with his helmet which is a clear violation of rules and the Refs did nothing. And Cleveland is in the Divisional Playoffs on the road, down 2 scores to the defending Super Bowl Champs who are 1 phantom offsides call from perhaps going to 3 straight Super Bowls...I wouldn't scold the WR for trying to make a play and score there but you are correct, it's risky and you gotta be a special player to do it and execute it. 

KC guy doesn't lead with helmet he scores, he saw green ahead and went for it, KC guy knew he would be beat so he went for broke and let the Refs decide if it was OK to lead with his helmet. 

Whatever the case, Hunt not being used is criminal. Not sure what kind of game plan I’d have to win in Arrowhead, but not using one of my most dynamic players wouldn’t be it. 

Ok, it goes out at the 1, the offense gets it at the 1. Fair.

It goes out at the -1, the offense gets it at the -1? Automatic TD? Fair?
To expand... You fumble at the 3, it goes out at the 1, you get it at the 1.

You fumble at the 15, it goes out at the 1, you get it at the 1.

??? Am I losing my mind? Anywhere outside of the last 2 (or 4) minutes of a half, the fumble does not come back to the spot of the fumble, right? Right?
I quoted the rule book, but yes, you are losing your mind. If the fumble goes forward, it goes back to the spot of the fumble. If it goes backwards, it goes to where it went out.

Tracy said Mahomes went into the locker room early...WTH s she talking about?

He drove them down to a FG with 5 seconds left, he didn't leave early. What a joke report.

This could have been a better game ...

Chubb with hands of stone ... and Higgins fumble thru the EZ.

What a shame.

Because Browns gonna Brown ...  I'm not very entertained today

... but I am very much looking forward to Bill vs Chiefs next week.

That was probably the end that most thought was coming

I'm so sorry Cleveland but there will be better days ahead. You won a Playoff game vs a heated rival, lots to build on in the off season. 

Mahomes and Allen next week should be terrific. 

Mayfield trying to do too much.  Too many drops and knowing the defense is no help.  Well always next year I guess.  

Garrett has been a shell of himself since Covid. I hope he’s actually healthy enough to be playing and isn’t exacerbating lung damage or something. Had one play where he pressured Mahomes then got burned on the end around to Hardiman, who he ended up tracking down 40 yards later but then was so winded he missed the next series and has done nothing else. Just doesn’t look right to me 
Wow. Garrett. He might be hurt otherwise and just not on the injury report. But he hasn't seemed right since they pointed out he had COVID. I don't watch enough to know.

This could have been a better game ...

Chubb with hands of stone ... and Higgins fumble thru the EZ.

What a shame.

Because Browns gonna Brown ...  I'm not very entertained today

... but I am very much looking forward to Bill vs Chiefs next week.
The Patriots didn't make the playoffs.

Stefanski tells CBS at halftime he needs to get the run game going - only 6 attempts in first half. So he comes out and calls 3 STRAIGHT PASS PLAYS. The Browns only hope was to impose their will with the top-rated O line and 3rd best run game ... and keep Mahomes off field.

Casual fan for this game.  Big fan of the greatness KC has displayed these past few years, but always a fan of the underdog (when my team is not involved), but Cleveland is not getting the breaks they need here.

Suddenly, doink!

This guy has that distance in his head. Game's not over. At all. Cleveland needs to get back to running the football. Plenty of time left.

Users who are viewing this thread