Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

[Dynasty] 2021 NFL Draft Class

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where I am before we enter the meat of silly season: I think there are 13 great bets to be starters in our game Lawrence, Wilson, Fields Etienne, Harris, Williams Chase, Wa

I get a kick out of amateur sports writers trying to use fancy words. You're looking to use "innate" here, chief.

Strategic bump so that this article is near the top of a fresh page - dominator rating & breakout age are useful variables to consider when you are looking at NFL rookies for fantasy football purp

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler "expects" the top-four rookie quarterbacks to go inside the top-10 overall picks in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The four quarterbacks are Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance. Fowler believes Mac Jones would be next but that his physical limitations could keep him outside of the top-10 mix. That's the belief of many draft analysts. Of the four he mentions, Lance's range of outcomes are the widest as a small-school prospect (North Dakota State) with just one year of experience. Lance's physical tools will likely make him an attractive lotto ticket somewhere in the first half of Round 1.

SOURCE: DCR Podcast

Feb 26, 2021, 10:28 PM ET

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein

Wait until you see La Tech defensive lineman Milton Williams' testing numbers - especially his 40 time and vert combination. Going to create a ton of buzz.

https://twitter.com/lancezierlein/status/1365761536699092992?s=21

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein

Milton Williams pro day at EXoS:

Milton Williams 
6’3” 
286 lbs 
32 bench reps
35” vert
4.63 40 yard dash

https://twitter.com/lancezierlein/status/1365787865821675527?s=21

2021 NFL Draft Rankings – Quarterbacks

Excerpt:

1. Trevor Lawrence - Clemson (6-6, 220)
2. Justin Fields - Ohio State (6-3, 230)
3. Mac Jones - Alabama (6-2, 215)
4. Trey Lance - North Dakota State (6-3, 225)
5. Jamie Newman - Georgia (6-2, 235)
6. Zach Wilson - BYU (6-3, 210)
7. Kyle Trask - Florida (6-4, 240)
8. Sam Ehlinger - Texas (6-2, 225)
9. Kellen Mond - Texas A&M (6-2, 215)
10. Davis Mills - Stanford (6-3, 220)
11. Shane Buechele - SMU (6-1, 205)
12. Brady White - Memphis (6-2, 215)
13. Feleipe Franks - Arkansas (6-6, 235)
14. Ian Book - Notre Dame (6-0, 210)
15. K.J. Costello - Mississippi State (6-4, 235)

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots are "aggressively scouting" the NFL Draft's top quarterbacks. 

The organization is doing its homework on every top QB prospect, including Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, BYU’s Zach Wilson, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, and Alabama’s Mac Jones. Landing a top QB would require the Pats to trade up from their No. 15 draft spot, a scenario that could be driven by the team's "real urgency to find a long-term answer at quarterback," per Howe. The Patriots would probably have to deal their No. 15 pick and their 2022 first rounder if they want to move into the top-10 in this spring's draft. Unless they somehow move into the first two picks, New England won't have a shot at Lawrence or Wilson. 

RELATED: 

Mac Jones

, Trevor Lawrence

, Trey Lance

, Zach Wilson

, Justin Fields

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 2, 2021, 9:13 AM ET

On 2/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, socrates said:

Marshall has the size (6-3, 200) teams are seeking, good hands and route running, and he has the speed to beat defenders deep.

Can you please point me to some articles that highlight his route running prowess?  I looked through his player thread and the linked articles there are a real mixed bag.  Two people say he is a good route runner, and a third says his route tree needs a lot of work.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Can you please point me to some articles that highlight his route running prowess?  I looked through his player thread and the linked articles there are a real mixed bag.  Two people say he is a good route runner, and a third says his route tree needs a lot of work.

I agree there is somewhat of a mixed bag when it comes to Marshall's route running.  I think it would be fair to say he is a bit inconsistent.  He runs certain routes very well, but his route tree, like you say, needs a bit of work.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/terrace-marshall-jr/BznkNXVGGC

"He offers terrific size, physicality, hands, ball skills, run after catch ability, route-running skills, and overall technical-refinement."

https://thegamehaus.com/nfl-draft/terrace-marshall-jr-2021-nfl-draft-profile/2021/02/14/

"He runs solid routes, which helps him get separation . . . While he is a good route-runner, his routes could be crisper because of his change of direction."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/terrace-marshall-jr-nfl-draft-profile-lsu-wide-receiver/

"We all knew that Marshall Jr. was a phenomenal athlete with a rare size-speed combination coming into Week 8. However, there were still some additional elements of receiver play missing from Marshall’s game. Among them, his consistent route running nuance and run-after-catch ability."

"Marshall ended up catching 11 passes for 235 yards and three scores against the Missouri defense. He used his speed to take the top off of the secondary on numerous occasions but was also able to use other aspects of his game, such as his size and route-running ability, to excel against the Tigers’ defensive backs."

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/2021-nfl-draft-rookie-profile-terrace-marshall-jr-fantasy-football/

Games viewed: Georgia (2019), Oklahoma (2019), Clemson (2019), Mississippi State (2020), Missouri (2020), Auburn (2020), Texas A&M (2020)

"He progressed towards being the big slot guy in 2020."

"With his size, you’d think Marshall would operate outside the majority of the time. In 2019, this is where he ended up with Chase and Jefferson commanding a ton of volume, and rightfully so. But he wasn’t “stuck outside” by the coaching staff for a lack of route running acumen. For being a tall guy, I actually found him smoother on his breaks than Chase, who could win with acceleration and toughness more than precision. In 2020, Marshall essentially replaced the Jefferson role in the offense as a big slot receiver. Per PFF, here is Marshall’s slot performance over his last two years:"

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/12/03/2021-nfl-draft-terrace-marshall-report/2/

"Like his talented predecessors before, Marshall has all the traits needed to become a legitimate threat at the NFL level. His biggest strengths are his size, leaping ability, and route running"

"He also has a great football IQ and runs extremely crisp routes for a college receiver. His high football IQ allows for a great understanding of how to attack the ball in the air."

https://nflmocks.com/2020/10/25/terrace-marshall-jr-boost-2021-nfl-draft-stock/

"He is a smooth route-runner who shows easy athleticism and the ability to win at all three levels of the defense."

https://www.dynastynerds.com/rookie-profile-terrace-marshall-jr/

"The big knock for me is that we don’t see a ton of razor-sharp routes from Marshall. There are a few routes I could show you where he creates separation with quickness and route-running, but they are far between. There are many routes where he rounds into his break and gives up separation; he doesn’t change direction well at high speed."

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/02/20/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-terrace-marshall-jr/

Route Running (6.25/10) 

"Marshall is amazing at a few distinct routes: slants, streaks, soft outs, and the occasional “sit in the hole” in zone defense. Due to his sluggish play speed, he can use stutter steps with high efficiency, though it hurts him being able to make effective double moves. Again, his skill set meshes perfectly with a vertical scheme, where he can be a deep threat from the slot."

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Thank you for that!  I feel like route running has become a bit more of a buzzword these past two seasons.  It used to be very rare that it was mentioned in any player's rookie draft profile, but many more writers are mentioning it in some fashion these days.

That makes these mentions both interesting and potentially useless, because it really comes down to the skill level of the writer who is evaluating these players.  I do appreciate that many mentions of different aspects of route running, though. 

Unfortunately, they don't help me decide whether or not he's going to be a technician as a pro.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Thank you for that!  I feel like route running has become a bit more of a buzzword these past two seasons.  It used to be very rare that it was mentioned in any player's rookie draft profile, but many more writers are mentioning it in some fashion these days.

That makes these mentions both interesting and potentially useless, because it really comes down to the skill level of the writer who is evaluating these players.  I do appreciate that many mentions of different aspects of route running, though. 

Unfortunately, they don't help me decide whether or not he's going to be a technician as a pro.

I'm leery of prospects who's best trait is their route running. I remember a quote from Kyle Shannahan a couple years ago with something to the effect of he doesn't care that much about route running in college WRs because it can be taught.

I can see both sides to it. On one hand, perfecting routes in college shows good work ethic, but route running is probably low hanging fruit for WR development in the NFL. Getting a guy who wins in college without running great routes probably means he'll take a little longer to contribute, but also has a higher ceiling. 

1 minute ago, jtd13 said:

I'm leery of prospects who's best trait is their route running. I remember a quote from Kyle Shannahan a couple years ago with something to the effect of he doesn't care that much about route running in college WRs because it can be taught.

I can see both sides to it. On one hand, perfecting routes in college shows good work ethic, but route running is probably low hanging fruit for WR development in the NFL. Getting a guy who wins in college without running great routes probably means he'll take a little longer to contribute, but also has a higher ceiling. 

I'm pretty much the exact opposite.  If a guy can't win by running routes in the NFL, how is he going to win?  And is that sustainable for a career.

My methods have turned me on to two huge successess in the past two draft classes, Terry McLaurin and Justin Jefferson.

There are other, more highly touted WRs that I covet for specific reasons, but if I'm judging two similar players their ability to separate via route running is the tie breaker.

Guys can win in a number of ways. Jefferson, for example is a prime example of "my ball" mentality which manifests itself in how strong his hands are.

Guys do have to run at least adequate routes though. 

OTOH all we heard about Jeudy last year was how great of a route runner he is. But it appears he may be deficient in other WR prerequisites.

17 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I'm pretty much the exact opposite.  If a guy can't win by running routes in the NFL, how is he going to win?  And is that sustainable for a career.

My methods have turned me on to two huge successess in the past two draft classes, Terry McLaurin and Justin Jefferson.

There are other, more highly touted WRs that I covet for specific reasons, but if I'm judging two similar players their ability to separate via route running is the tie breaker.

Same.

1 hour ago, tangfoot said:

Exactly but I feel like I have no choice but to try and parse thru that stuff. 

Edited by barackdhouse
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

OTOH all we heard about Jeudy last year was how great of a route runner he is. But it appears he may be deficient in other WR prerequisites.

I'm buying all the depressed shares of Jeudy I can get my hands on this offseason.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I'm buying all the depressed shares of Jeudy I can get my hands on this offseason.

Yeah I've been wanting to do the same but haven't pursued it that hard. Haven't had luck finding a good deal on it yet either but I do think it might be a smart move. Got any good examples where you were able to buy low recently?