Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

[Dynasty] 2021 NFL Draft Class

16 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

The tl;dr version of the "winners" articles are:

RB Felton, WR Eskridge, Safety Grant, and FWIW guard Meinerz

I wondered if he was going to turn some heads this week...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

The tl;dr version of the "winners" articles are:

RB Felton, WR Eskridge, Safety Grant, and FWIW guard Meinerz

Thanks.  I am curious what happened to Eskridge.  He was impressing in practice, but did he sustain an injury in practice, or did he just opt out once he generated some buzz?  He is an older prospect, so that may affect how high he is drafted, but Eskridge is one of the most intriguing wideouts in this class.

Fantasy Football Mailbag: What Makes the 2021 Rookie Class Special?

Excerpt:

What Makes the 2021 Rookie Class Special?

I love this question. I spend a lot of time on my podcasts talking about the character of each incoming class. It is often the first thing somebody just getting into the incoming class wants to know; what positions are strong and which are weak. The 2021 NFL Draft is no different, it has a lot of character to it.

The biggest takeaway from this year’s rookie class will be the depth of the wide receiver position. We talked a lot about how deep the 2020 NFL Draft class was and it pales in comparison. I can legitimately see anywhere from 12-15 wideouts being taken in the first two days of the NFL Draft. Even the ones selected on day three, though, still get me excited. In five years I fully expect us to be raving about the big names like Ja’Marr Chase and Devonta Smith but we also may be discussing names like South Dakota’s Cade Johnson or Alabama Birmingham’s Myron Mitchell and Austin Watkins. 

This time next year we will be yearning for the tight end talent that will go off the board. Kyle Pitts is dominating headlines but Brevin Jordan and Pat Friermuth would be headliners in many other classes. As we dig deeper into what are likely to be fourth and fifth round rookie draft selections, we also find high upside with tight ends like Hunter Long, Kenny Yeboah, Quintin Morris and Tony Poljan.

4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Kansas City Chiefs: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri

Waddya think of THAT @rockaction ! Lol

Lol. All's fair in speculation, I guess. I suppose they could use a run stuffer. Spags was always a get after the QB guy, though. Hmmm...

I wonder what they think of the five guys that they have on their offensive line going into the Super Bowl? I liked your first mock up of them a little better. 

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

Lol. All's fair in speculation, I guess. I suppose they could use a run stuffer. Spags was always a get after the QB guy, though. Hmmm...

I wonder what they think of the five guys that they have on their offensive line going into the Super Bowl? I liked your first mock up of them a little better. 

KC's got some roster problems developing soon and the OL is absolutely one of the big ones. A running back round 1 last year was a mistake and so would a LB this year. They need to use their few scarce resources at premium positions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

KC's got some roster problems developing soon and the OL is absolutely one of the big ones. A running back round 1 last year was a mistake and so would a LB this year. They need to use their few scarce resources at premium positions.

Indeed. They could use a true number two wide receiver, an OL, a DB. They were, however, first against the pass and last against the run throughout the playoffs, according to Aaron Schatz, but he said he believed they like it that way rather than the reverse. I tend to agree.

And they did make a mistake picking a running back in the first round last year, but I've been all over that ad nauseam here about picking the wrong one vs. drafting a different position, so I won't rehash it like I was saying what you're getting at, though I do agree with you. They didn't need a first round running back. At all.

Senior Bowl hype has grown out of hand. These are mostly old prospects at that game. I don’t even want to talk smack about Eskridge because I think he’s good and I had him as a Darnell Mooney type sleeper but first round? Whatever team does that is high. He’s a high end punt returner with a ceiling of a WR2. Good on him for boosting his stock but for fantasy purposes I have 18 or 19 WR’s ahead of him with no plans of changing it before draft capital is settled.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iceman03 said:

Senior Bowl hype has grown out of hand. These are mostly old prospects at that game. I don’t even want to talk smack about Eskridge because I think he’s good and I had him as a Darnell Mooney type sleeper but first round? Whatever team does that is high. He’s a high end punt returner with a ceiling of a WR2. Good on him for boosting his stock but for fantasy purposes I have 18 or 19 WR’s ahead of him with no plans of changing it before draft capital is settled.

I do not believe Eskridge is a first rounder.  Nor do I believe Chatarius Atwell is a first rounder, and I have seen that projected.  I also have my doubts that Kadarius Toney, who also generated a lot of chatter with his Senior Bowl practice performances, is ultimately a first round pick.  Pre-draft hype can no doubt get out of hand, but some of that hype is to generate clicks.  When you follow the hype, you get traffic.  Now, having said all of that, Eskridge did improve his draft stock at Senior Bowl practices.  I was disappointed that he disappeared once he generated some buzz, as I would have loved to have seen him in the game.  Still, one of the knocks against Eskridge was his lack of competition, and showing out in practices against top-level defensive talent answered some of that.  I currently have him as my WR14, but he could realistically move up from there.  Despite the good week, there are yet a couple of things that will likely keep him from being a first-round pick, namely age and size.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:19 PM, Faust said:

Fantasy Football Mailbag: What Makes the 2021 Rookie Class Special?

Excerpt:

We talked a lot about how deep the 2020 NFL Draft class was and it pales in comparison. I can legitimately see anywhere from 12-15 wideouts being taken in the first two days of the NFL Draft.  ...

So, I just don't understand wtf the author is thinking here.   The 2020 draft featured 15 WRs drafted in the first two days, yet he says that pales in comparison to his projection of 12-15 for the 2021 draft?

:confused:

A lawsuit alleges that Micah Parsons punched a player in the face and choked him, until the player pulled a knife. Hadn't heard about this before. Does this effect his draft stock and is this something to be concerned with? If true, this seems like a significant character defect. Not something that can be attributed to immaturity. 

https://fox56.com/news/local/former-psu-football-player-gives-details-on-alleged-hazing-by-teammates

1 hour ago, The Future Champs said:

So, I just don't understand wtf the author is thinking here.   The 2020 draft featured 15 WRs drafted in the first two days, yet he says that pales in comparison to his projection of 12-15 for the 2021 draft?

:confused:

I suppose he is talking about quality, rather than just quantity.  Last year's class was not only incredibly deep, but incredibly talented at all levels.  This is another loaded class of receivers, but I would not rank it as high as last season's crop, based on draft grades.  Ultimately, however, each class will be assessed based on how they perform in the NFL, rather than their draft grades.  There is certainly plenty to be excited about with the 2021 WR class.

9 hours ago, socrates said:

I do not believe Eskridge is a first rounder.  Nor do I believe Chatarius Atwell is a first rounder, and I have seen that projected.  I also have my doubts that Kadarius Toney, who also generated a lot of chatter with his Senior Bowl practice performances, is ultimately a first round pick.  Pre-draft hype can no doubt get out of hand, but some of that hype is to generate clicks.  When you follow the hype, you get traffic.  Now, having said all of that, Eskridge did improve his draft stock at Senior Bowl practices.  I was disappointed that he disappeared once he generated some buzz, as I would have loved to have seen him in the game.  Still, one of the knocks against Eskridge was his lack of competition, and showing out in practices against top-level defensive talent answered some of that.  I currently have him as my WR14, but he could realistically move up from there.  Despite the good week, there are yet a couple of things that will likely keep him from being a first-round pick, namely age and size.

I would probably agree with most of that. I think Atwell is for real and wouldn’t fault a team for grabbing him in the first if he really does run a 4.3 40. I have Atwell at 10, Eskridge at 18 and Toney at 22. We shouldn’t try to be explaining to scouts at this point that a player doing nothing for 3 seasons and barely breaking out as a senior (in Toney’s case) is not impressive and is quite the opposite. If all they gaf about is speed why isn’t Anthony Schwartz a first rounder too? Guy runs a 10.07 100m. There is only one Tyreek Hill and continuously chasing after the next one year after year is getting old. A ton of these guys are prototypical alphas and probably won’t go until the 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by Iceman03
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

I would probably agree with most of that. I think Atwell is for real and wouldn’t fault a team for grabbing him in the first if he really does run a 4.3 40. I have Atwell at 10, Eskridge at 18 and Toney at 22. We shouldn’t try to be explaining to scouts at this point that a player doing nothing for 3 seasons and barely breaking out as a senior (in Toney’s case) is not impressive and is quite the opposite. If all they gaf about is speed why isn’t Anthony Schwartz a first rounder too? Guy runs a 10.07 100m. There is only one Tyreek Hill and continuously chasing after the next one year after year is getting old. A ton of these guys are prototypical alphas and probably won’t go until the 2nd or 3rd.

Who do you think the alphas going in the 2nd and 3rd are?

9 hours ago, rockaction said:

Who do you think the alphas going in the 2nd and 3rd are?

I don't agree about the 3rd, but like last year expect some in the second. Who? Well, that depends on what the NFL leaks out over the next couple months. i.e. I am higher on Bateman and Rondale Moore than what I've gathered from poking around the web over the last month, but will those inevitable leaks cause the internet market to correct? If they do then I'd jump to Wallace, Elijah Moore, St Brown, and Dyami Brown. A few others are also on my radar, but I'm not up to speed on them yet.

• Like 1

Atwell a 1st rounder? Yikes. 

He's a better version of John Ross sure, but Ross shouldn't have been sniffing day 1. Atwell just fits the stereotype of an "NFL field stretcher" so NFL teams think he fills a role when he actually doesn't since he isn't THAT good. Day 1 developmental WR? shut up front offices and learn from mistakes already. These burners in round 1 are insulting. You want that get a guy who's immediate impact like Waddle, not a guy that takes 2-3 years to figure something out and finally become the WR4 on your NFL team. 

20 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

Atwell a 1st rounder? Yikes. 

He's a better version of John Ross sure, but Ross shouldn't have been sniffing day 1. Atwell just fits the stereotype of an "NFL field stretcher" so NFL teams think he fills a role when he actually doesn't since he isn't THAT good. Day 1 developmental WR? shut up front offices and learn from mistakes already. These burners in round 1 are insulting. You want that get a guy who's immediate impact like Waddle, not a guy that takes 2-3 years to figure something out and finally become the WR4 on your NFL team. 

I agree with your take. But nobody thinks Atwell will go ahead of Waddle.

4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I agree with your take. But nobody thinks Atwell will go ahead of Waddle.

Not saying that, I just see Atwell being a 1st rounder in some mocks. Waddle as well, and the difference between the two of them is massive. NFL teams (or mock drafters only?) are trying to fill a role there when the talent doesn't match up to the draft capital spent.