What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2021 NFL Draft Class (3 Viewers)

Strategic bump so that this article is near the top of a fresh page - dominator rating & breakout age are useful variables to consider when you are looking at NFL rookies for fantasy football purposes.
Checked it out. No comment, really, other than you're right that they are useful variables. Interesting to see their breakout ages. I think 2020 stats are, of course, best taken with a grain of salt. How much? I don't know. Terrace Marshall would seem to be affected, as would others, by 2020 as a statistical measure of breakout age and dominator rating.

Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech – NFL Draft Player Profile

Virginia Tech football: Khalil Herbert, Divine Deablo shine during Senior Bowl week

Jaret Patterson prepares to jump from UB to NFL draft

Excerpt:

Draft analysts have noted that Patterson has quickness and strong vision, and that while he’s listed at 5 feet, 9 inches and 195 pounds, he can sneak behind bigger blockers in order to create more yardage. Patterson has the ability to make opposing defenders miss in space, he can break for long runs and he can create yards after contact. His 4.7 yards after contact per carry was tied for the nation's best with Virginia Tech's Khalil Herbert, according to Pro Football Focus. 

Ausbon has the traits, but on the field left a lot to be desired. 
Disagree. I don't see any traits from him that really stand out. He's slow with slow feet, doesn't cut sharp or that explosive. I guess he has decent body control, hands, and tracks the ball well but he doesn't attack the ball.

He's in my unranked tier because of that and I won't touch those players. I see no floor, and no ceiling so to me he was a useless guy to rank. 

Disagree. I don't see any traits from him that really stand out. He's slow with slow feet, doesn't cut sharp or that explosive. I guess he has decent body control, hands, and tracks the ball well but he doesn't attack the ball.

He's in my unranked tier because of that and I won't touch those players. I see no floor, and no ceiling so to me he was a useless guy to rank. 
No, he does not - at all. He adjusts well to the play, but is passive at the catch point. My neck's crooked a bit with your slow feet comment, but I don't disagree about his cutting ability - that isn't his game. Our conclusion is similar though - I don't see any ceiling with him. We don't agree about the floor, but in our game I don't think it matters. WR's without a meaningful ceiling don't interest me.

I believe people are overvaluing Mac Jones in superflex leagues.  I don/'t play superflex, but I do know QBs are overvalued when it comes to drafting vs. better talent.  I would much rather roll the dice with Bateman, Waddle, Moore than the statute Mac Jones.  Draft too early at your own peril in superflex leagues.
The issue with SF (and 2QB) leagues is that the draft is really the only way to get a QB as they are very expensive in trade.  Because of that reaching a bit for a QB is necessary and worth the risk if there is any chance of being a starter for years to come.  Because of that scarcity you sometimes have to reach for lesser talents on the chance they pan out at the QB position.  

ETA:  Some times it's just a necessary evil - especially if you are desperate at QB.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with SF (and 2QB) leagues is that the draft is really the only way to get a QB as they are very expensive in trade.  Because of that reaching a bit for a QB is necessary and worth the risk if there is any chance of being a starter for years to come.  Because of that scarcity you sometimes have to reach for lesser talents on the chance they pan out at the QB position.  

ETA:  Some times it's just a necessary evil - especially if you are desperate at QB.  
IMO, its not really much different than young RB1's in more traditional type leagues. It just adds another element of the "elite" tier type player that you have to pay up for.

You still have to pay a 1st in most leagues to get a guy like Jacobs, or Mixon. Those guys are akin to guys like Carr or Cousins in a superflex league. According to DLF, players like Stafford are essentially the same value as a guy like david montgomery. In a 1 qb league, i doubt anyone is doing that straight up.

It just sort of balances the equation value wise, similar to how TE premium helps balance out values, imo

IMO, its not really much different than young RB1's in more traditional type leagues. It just adds another element of the "elite" tier type player that you have to pay up for.
It is very different in the SF league I am in. I took over an orphan with only one starting QB; the other was Brees. Inquiries around the league show that marginal starting QBs (Jimmy G, Jones, etc.) are valued in the 1.07 to 1.11 range. Probably much easier to pick up a RB2 than a backup QB in SF.

The context of the team you are negotiating with is also relevant. If I have 3 "starters" and you have 1, you are gonna have to pay up.

Same idea for young Rbs. (obv no '21 rookies in here, but throw Harris, ETN, and Williams in here)

CMC, JT, Kamara, Barkley, Cook, Swift, Chubb Dobbins, Henry, Akers, CEH, Zeke, Jacobs, Sanders, Jones, Gibson, Ekeler, Mixon, Robinson, Montgomery, Hunt, Carson

Depending on your league, most of these guys cost at least one 1st. Prolly iffy when you get to Hunt and Carson, but you get the point. There are almost an exact number of Qbs, (not including this years rookies, but you could add 4-5 more names to this list)

Mahommes, LJax, Murray, Allen, Watson, Prescott, Wilson, Herbert, Burrow, Rodgers, Tua, Stafford, Hurts, Tanny, Jones, Mayfield, Ryan, Cousins, Goff, Carr, Wentz, Jimmy G

These are DLF ranks, went 22 players deep, and the cutoff point is about the same where the 1st round asking price gets a little iffy. I think its pretty balanced, but I can also see another owner trying to squeeze you for a little extra value, Id prolly do the same in preliminary talks to take your temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread