What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are the chances Mahomes does not make it thru Concussion Protocol...Championship Week? (1 Viewer)

Chances Mahomes won't take the field this week despite looking punch drunk in the worst way when he

• 100%

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • 75%

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 50%

Votes: 23 17.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • 0%

Votes: 61 45.9%

• Total voters

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I feel if this was regular season like Week 8 that we wouldn't see Mahomes next week. 

But it's Championship week...and all that goes with it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect they will not skirt any rules on this one even though it would be tempting. This guy is the face of the NFL going forward, and they can't jeopardize that even for an AFCCG if he is not good to go. 50/50 at this point I think.

Crazy to think that until fairly recently, players finished games like this on the regular. And us fans were generally none the wiser.

insert name of your starting QB here____________________......they are playing.......lets not do the "Mahomes" thing....if its Rodgers or Brady or Allen they are all playing....

insert name of your starting QB here____________________......they are playing.......lets not do the "Mahomes" thing....if its Rodgers or Brady or Allen they are all playing....
The reason they are doing the "Mahomes thing" is because he is the one in this situation.  I haven't seen one person say that the others wouldn't try to get ready in 1 week when it typically takes longer. Your KC fan homerism is showing with this post as you defend a position that has not been made by anyone.

The final decision supposedly depends on an "Independent Neurological Consultant (INC), jointly approved by the NFL and NFLPA, who is not affiliated with any NFL club."

No need for a Whizzinator, just deny headaches and dizziness, and practice those Trump memory words - 'Person, woman, man, camera, TV.’
That's my thought.

Sure. 

I'm no doctor, but how do you objectively evaluate a concussion other than asking the person how they're feeling?  You watch during practice (when he gets that far) but unless he has really bad symptoms which are obvious, he's going to play.

FWIW - Jay Glazer reported that Mahomes' dizziness was more of a "choke out" situation as opposed to a shot/shock to the head or neck. Didn't seem too concerned over it.
This is what I saw and responded in the game thread. There was no hit to the head, he was literally choked out if you watch it on the replay. Actually if he would have just laid there until he got his air back to his brain as a fighter would have, then got up when he felt fine, he probably would have returned to the game in a couple of plays. But with the way he got up quick and stumbled around on National tv you had to take it more serious. 
He is fine and will be back to throw 4 TDs next week in my opinion.👍🏼

Patrick Mahomes II@PatrickMahomes

All good brother!

Mack Wilson@5mackwilson1

Prayers to @PatrickMahomes . I pray you back next week! Go be great like you have been!

----------------------------------------------------

Watching the play I was confused how Mahomes got hurt.  Mack didn't use his helmet and made no contact with Mahomes helmet.

Mack's shoulder never grazed his helmet, it was a shoulder hit to Patrick's shoulder pads.

Mack's hand came up but never touched Mahomes helmet, he was grasping and was only able to grab the top of his shoulder pads as Mahomes was still trying to go forward to gain extra yardage so Mack pulled him down.

The last half a second is how he got injured.  As Mack was pulling him down Mahomes could not get his arms out in front of him to cushion hitting the ground.  He hit awkwardly at the very top of his helmet going down at a weird angle and the full force violently slammed the back of his head to the point at the front of his helmet.

It really was much worse than it looked in real time and I hope Patrick is ok but it would not surprise me at all if he can't play next week.  I know everyone wants him to play and Ried and everyone is saying he's fine but it was a violent slamming of his brain into the front of his skull.  Definite concussion and I'm not buying that he's perfectly fine, he's not. 

FWIW - Jay Glazer reported that Mahomes' dizziness was more of a "choke out" situation as opposed to a shot/shock to the head or neck. Didn't seem too concerned over it.
I posted in the game thread that it looked more WWE/WWF than it did anything else. Like a wrestling choke out, exactly what happened. 

I posted in the game thread that it looked more WWE/WWF than it did anything else. Like a wrestling choke out, exactly what happened. 
Disagree and in this case Glazer is wrong.  It was not a choke, it was the force of Patrick's brain violently crashing into the front of his helmet.

Freakish play resulting in freak accident.  I'm trying to track down a vid-clip where a doctor broke it down in slo-mo to show exactly what happened.  

I have to agree with Bracie. I didn't see anything approaching a choke hold, and I definitely saw his head smack the turf, which is what I posted in the game thread at the time. I really don't understand people saying the head bounce off the turf didn't happen.

I have to agree with Bracie. I didn't see anything approaching a choke hold, and I definitely saw his head smack the turf, which is what I posted in the game thread at the time. I really don't understand people saying the head bounce off the turf didn't happen.
On the tackle it looked like he was brought down or when he went down that the tackle was mostly around his neck, I didn't mean that he was literally CHOKED out like Ric Flair but it was an arm around his entire neck, seemed awkward...look Reid says "He's doing great and that's a good sign" and he's the Head Coach, that should be good enough. 

It wasn't a choke hold.  See the video I linked and here is a post the doctor made specifically addressing that Patrick did not get choked-out by a choke hold.

-----------------------------------

Pinned by Brian Sutterer MD

Brian Sutterer MD

13 hours ago

For those saying he was choked out, first of all loss of consciousness from low blood flow would not cause fencing response. And second, the compression isn't long enough to cause LOC imo. Think of UFC fights. It takes a good 5+ seconds of a choke for a guy to go out. This was a second or two, maybe. Third, the angle of contact from the defenders arm is more straight down onto shoulder pads, not into the neck directly.

And my meter is broken apparently. Seems so obvious now that you pointed it out.  :bag:
When Reid updated Mahomes injury, it felt like a Used Car Salesman suddenly appeared across the desk..."yeah we can buff that right out, no problem"

His press conference after the game was just comical to me. I love Andy Reid, could not have been happier for him last season winning the Super Bowl as a Head Coach. But like any good head coach he is very crafty and he wanted to make sure everyone knew that Mahomes was almost ready to jump right back on the field. I don't blame Reid, I might have done the same exact thing. 

When Reid updated Mahomes injury, it felt like a Used Car Salesman suddenly appeared across the desk..."yeah we can buff that right out, no problem"

His press conference after the game was just comical to me. I love Andy Reid, could not have been happier for him last season winning the Super Bowl as a Head Coach. But like any good head coach he is very crafty and he wanted to make sure everyone knew that Mahomes was almost ready to jump right back on the field. I don't blame Reid, I might have done the same exact thing. 
Ii just hope he's right (and by that, I mean Mahomes is ok and they don't just manage to sneak him in to a game he shouldn't be playing in). I really feel like we'd be cheated out of a great game if Mahomes can't go. I did vote he'd be 100% playing though because I think they'll do whatever it takes to get him in the game. Then again, I fully admit to not being familiar with the full scope of concussion protocol for the NFL. Maybe the system can't be "cheated"?

I'm trying to track down a vid-clip where a doctor broke it down in slo-mo to show exactly what happened.  
This is the video where the doctor does a great job of breaking down the injury.

🎥  👉 VIDEO  👈
If it matters ... this Dr. Sutterer is the same guy that did a video breakdown of how and why Drew Brees would be able to be medically cleared at the four-week mark after 11 broken ribs. Sutterer posted that video within a few days a day of Brees leaving the field against SF.

EDIT: Sutterer accurately called the length of Brees' outage the very next day.

Except for the INT, Henne looked like the better QB.  With a week of starter's reps in practice, Henne should be able to knock off the rest.  I'd sit Patrick this week.
Even Matt Moore won a couple of games 2 years ago in KC. But the Reid scheme and talent at WR and TE won't be enough to keep up with Josh Allen and the Bills. KC will likely lose unless Mahomes plays.

KC reporter saying he did NOT receive a concussion. Not exactly choked out either. Says he had a nerve hit that temporarily knocked him out and caused that response.

This article about a “brachial stun” sounds like it matches up with what we saw and with what has been reported after the game.

Nobody outside the Chiefs right now actually knows obviously, but it seems to fit IMO.
just need a plausible alternative so they can avoid the standard concussion protocols.

it's all about the players health, you know

Yahoo News is co click-baity. They still -- right now -- have this article up among their brand-new news articles at yahoo.com. Reading the headline today means a totally different thing than reading the same headline this past Sunday afternoon. Sneaky, sneaky.

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes officially ruled out with a concussion

Uh oh -- he's officially out for the AFC title game, right? Not so fast -- check out the byline:

Charles Goldman
Sun, January 17, 2021, 4:39 PM
Really, Yahoo?

Doesn’t seem like a concussion, but nerves in your neck are nothing to mess around with either. The question would be, is there long term health implication if he gets hit in the same spot again soon after the initial injury?

Yahoo News is co click-baity. They still -- right now -- have this article up among their brand-new news articles at yahoo.com. Reading the headline today means a totally different thing than reading the same headline this past Sunday afternoon. Sneaky, sneaky.

Uh oh -- he's officially out for the AFC title game, right? Not so fast -- check out the byline:

Really, Yahoo?
What's Yahoo?

:P

Doug B said:

Really, Yahoo?
Did the exact same thing.

Of course Andy Reid is going to say Mahomes looks good, why would he say anything else?  Makes the Bills prepare for Mahomes no matter what. If Reid said Mahomes looks questionable/not good and then ends up playing, that would be a bad look the NFL and how serious they are taking the concussion protocol.  I’ve watched football for a long time and never heard/seen any play when a player was wobbling like they just got hit by Mike Tyson and the  reason was they were choked.  I voted 50%, if it wasn’t a playoff game, I would have voted 100%.

The Duff Man said:
Doesn’t seem like a concussion, but nerves in your neck are nothing to mess around with either. The question would be, is there long term health implication if he gets hit in the same spot again soon after the initial injury?
Exactly. These things can linger and cause problems. I hope its nothing like that but somethign doesnt feel right here.

What a storyline it would be if he did NOT play this week, Henne got the win and then the 2 weeks of speculation about Mahomes playing leading up to the Super Bowl.  Media would have a field day.

not that it means diddly squat...but the visual of him basically sprinting (on a bad foot nonetheless) to the locker room probably helps the optics a little.....we don't normally see that for some reason, they are usually walked off....for those that are concerned about those type of things....it did look bad as he was trying to get up, but that doesn't mean things actually are as many want them to be....it really might not be as bad as it looked....(it might be worse who knows, we'll find out)....thats why they leave it up to the professionals and have the protocols...I haven't heard yet of a scenario where they have approved someone to come back too soon and there was an issue....

What a storyline it would be if he did NOT play this week, Henne got the win and then the 2 weeks of speculation about Mahomes playing leading up to the Super Bowl.  Media would have a field day.
Sounds familiar... wasn't the 2001 Patriot's situation something similar - except Bledsoe came back in the AFCCG?  And there was a question who would start the SB? 

not that it means diddly squat...but the visual of him basically sprinting (on a bad foot nonetheless) to the locker room probably helps the optics a little.....we don't normally see that for some reason, they are usually walked off....for those that are concerned about those type of things....it did look bad as he was trying to get up, but that doesn't mean things actually are as many want them to be....it really might not be as bad as it looked....(it might be worse who knows, we'll find out)....thats why they leave it up to the professionals and have the protocols...I haven't heard yet of a scenario where they have approved someone to come back too soon and there was an issue....
The stakes are high and so am I...  It's in the air tonight - It's a free for all!

Mr.Pack said:
Wasn't a head injury or a concussion
It was a concussion and hit HEAD hit the ground with force.  He was fine until the top of his helmet struck the ground and his head/brain slammed to the impact causing his body to instantly react with a 'fencing position' which is a clear sign of a brain injury/concussion.

See video.

-------------------------------------

VIDEO: 🎥  👉  Patrick Mahomes SCARY Concussion! Doctor Reacts to Hit  👈

--------------------------------------

Pinned by Brian Sutterer MD

Brian Sutterer MD

2 days ago

Yea, I've seen the reports it was a "tweaked nerve" in his neck and not a concussion. But... There is no nerve in the side of the neck that would cause a fencing response when its hit. Could he have hit a nerve AND had a concussion? Sure, but the only thing that causes that fencing response is a brain injury/concussion.

Patrick Mahomes practicing again on Thursday Posted by Josh Alper on January 21, 2021, 1:12 PM EST

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is back on the practice field on Thursday.

Reporters at the open portion of Chiefs practiced shared word and images of Mahomes going through the session with his helmet on. Word from the team about his participation level will come later in the day.

There was some uncertainty about how much Mahomes practiced on Wednesday as the Chiefs changed his listing from full to limited participation, but he was on the field a few days after being forced out of a playoff win over the Browns. Mahomes is in the concussion protocol and has a toe injury as well.

Back-to-back days of on-field work is a good sign for Mahomes’ chances of clearing the protocol and playing against the Bills...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like he has progressed through stage four at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick Mahomes in NFL concussion protocol: What needs to happen for Chiefs star to play against Bills

... he must pass through the same five-step process to be cleared for a return.

What are those steps?

The first thing you should know is that prior to the season, every NFL player takes neurological and balancing tests when in a noninjured state to provide a "normal" score. Those results can later be used to help diagnose a concussion, and to determine when a player's neurological activity and balance has returned to its previous state following a brain injury. The five steps are:

Step 1: Based on symptoms, the player can engage in light stretching, balance training and eventually progress to light aerobic exercise.

Step 2: The player can graduate toward cardiovascular exercise and dynamic stretching, and then take neurological and balance tests. He can pass through this step once those test results match his baseline scores.

Step 3: The player can move toward a limited amount of football-specific exercise. That includes up to 30 minutes of practice time, under the supervision of an athletic trainer.

Step 4: Football activities can increase to noncontact drills such as throwing and running. Another set of tests must again show baseline results.

Step 5: This requires the team doctor to clear the player for contact. Once that happens, the player must be examined by an independent neurological consultant (INC). If the "INC" affirms the team doctor's decision, the player is cleared to practice full and play in the team's next game.

Users who are viewing this thread