What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Men's peacoat: Black or Navy Blue? (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
I'm a man and trying to decide on the colour of a peacoat. I want the best colour that is, classic, versatile and goes with almost anything. For example, would navy peacoat go with blue jeans and black shoes?  

What colour would you guys get, or have already got?

I'm a man and trying to decide on the colour of a peacoat. I want the best colour that is, classic, versatile and goes with almost anything. For example, would a navy peacoat go with blue jeans and black shoes? 
For me, a navy overcoat is fine with any dark color of leather (dark browns, black, dark oxblood/cordovan).

WTF is a peacoat?  I guess that tells you all you need to know about my opinion on the question
Peacoat pics. A classic peacoat worn by a U.S. naval officer

Some background on the style:

Though at first glance the name “pea coat” evokes hints of folksy Americana, the origins of the coat are actually Dutch. In the late eighteenth century, when the Netherlands was still a naval powerhouse, Dutch sailors wore pijjakkers, coats made from coarse wool “pije” fabric. Though the Dutch kicked off the use of the coat, it was the British Navy, and their ubiquitous colonial presence around the globe that made the coat truly popular. The “pije” coat became the “pea” coat, as the British adopted a version of the coat as a uniform for petty officers. To this day, pea coats are sometimes referred to as “reefer coats’”—reffering to the shorter pea coats, a.k.a. “reefers,” worn by petty officers of the British Empire. Higher ranking officers would wear a longer “bridge” coat. Eventually, the United States Navy also made the coat part of some of their standard issue clothing for cold weather jobs, and the coat crossed the Atlantic.

You've probably seen that kind of coat many times, just not realizing there was a specific name for it.

I always default to black but 1. I have no sense of style and 2. it's usually based on the fact that black doesn't show stains nearly as bad as a lighter color 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a black one and although I love it, it looks dumb with blue slacks.  I would go with charcoal as suggested or a medium gray. 

I went dark charcoal.  Goes well with everything.  The only time it looked a little off was when I wore it with my Packers Zubas.  

Black is versatile enough to wear around but can also be worn to a funeral. Charcoal is too but doesn't look like you were thinking about that when you bought it. 

Wait these are back "in"?
I remember peacoats being worn a lot circa 1990, when LL Bean and such got on the local radar (in college at LSU at the time). For some reason, I recall them being cut longer ... like down to the knees.

I remember peacoats being worn a lot circa 1990, when LL Bean and such got on the local radar (in college at LSU at the time). For some reason, I recall them being cut longer ... like down to the knees.
Mine wasn't that long :shrug: maybe a little longer than the current ones

Everything in the 90s was gigantic.  Just look at the clothes they wear on friends.

As far as the asnwer to this thread, I'd agree that charcoal/gray is most versatile, followed by navy, and black last (but most "formal" though I don't think a peacoat is very formal).  I personally have a black peacoat, and don't think it looks very good with jeans and more casual dress.

When I think peacoat I think of navy blue.  Then again my fashion sense isn't the best.  :lol:   

I had a navy one in 4th grade that I begged for ...loved it.  Probably the only thing I wore that has stayed timeless since then (dickies were also huge back then - and still had my corduroy greek fisherman hat)

I have 2 blacks and a blue... save for 1 funeral, have not worn any of them in several years at this point though. 

Users who are viewing this thread