What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 Years Ago - Violence flares in Washington during inauguration (1 Viewer)

jon_mx

Footballguy
APAC

JANUARY 20

By Jonathan Landay, Scott Malone

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Black-clad activists among hundreds of demonstrators protestimg today's swearing-in with police a few blocks from the White House, in an outburst of violence rare for an inauguration.

At least 217 people were arrested in the melees, police said.

The burst of civil disorder followed a fierce presidential campaign that ended in a contested victory  and left the country divided.

In the violence, knots of activists in black clothes and masks threw rocks and bottles at officers wearing riot gear, who responded with volleys of tear gas and stun grenades as a helicopter hovered low overhead.

At one flash point, a protester hurled an object through the passenger window of a police van, which sped away in reverse as demonstrators cheered. Earlier, activists used chunks of pavement and baseball bats to shatter the windows of a Bank of America branch and a McDonald’s outlet, all symbols of American capitalism.

Multiple vehicles were set on fire, including a black limousine. A knot of people dragged garbage cans into a street a few blocks from the White House and set them ablaze.

Police said six officers were injured in scuffles with protesters. The people arrested would be held overnight , Peter Newsham, interim chief of the Metropolitan Police Department, told a news conference. Newsham added that police would continue to monitor security around the night’s celebrations.

----- sorry, this was four years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
APAC

JANUARY 20

By Jonathan Landay, Scott Malone

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Black-clad activists among hundreds of demonstrators protestimg today's swearing-in with police a few blocks from the White House, in an outburst of violence rare for an inauguration.

At least 217 people were arrested in the melees, police said.

The burst of civil disorder followed a fierce presidential campaign that ended in a contested victory  and left the country divided.

In the violence, knots of activists in black clothes and masks threw rocks and bottles at officers wearing riot gear, who responded with volleys of tear gas and stun grenades as a helicopter hovered low overhead.

At one flash point, a protester hurled an object through the passenger window of a police van, which sped away in reverse as demonstrators cheered. Earlier, activists used chunks of pavement and baseball bats to shatter the windows of a Bank of America branch and a McDonald’s outlet, all symbols of American capitalism.

Multiple vehicles were set on fire, including a black limousine. A knot of people dragged garbage cans into a street a few blocks from the White House and set them ablaze.

Police said six officers were injured in scuffles with protesters. The people arrested would be held overnight , Peter Newsham, interim chief of the Metropolitan Police Department, told a news conference. Newsham added that police would continue to monitor security around the night’s celebrations.

----- sorry, this was four years ago.
:penalty: :penalty: :penalty: :penalty: :penalty: :penalty:

Click bait really should be beneath you, Jon.

Are you trying to say what happened a couple weeks ago isn't a big deal? What is the point of trying to compare it to other things? What are you trying to win or prove? I know many Trump supporters are doing this - I just don't understand it. Is there something a democrat can say to make you stop?

Are you trying to say what happened a couple weeks ago isn't a big deal? What is the point of trying to compare it to other things? What are you trying to win or prove? I know many Trump supporters are doing this - I just don't understand it. Is there something a democrat can say to make you stop?
Becsuse your poop does not stink.  We had natonal guardsmen screened and scruntinized for supporting Trump.  There were  millions of pro-Trump messages scrubed from social media, people banned from posting and accounts frozen.  The holier than thou mentality disgusts me.  

There is a point.  That is not much different than what happened a couple weeks ago.  But this was a blip on the news, not some catestrophic event where we have to hold 70 million people in contempt.  
Are you being serious? If so, you are grossly misinformed about what went down at the capitol two weeks ago. People broke into a federal building and had planned with clear intentions to murder specific politicians. That is no where near the same thing as people rioting and causing property damage. 

There is a point.  That is not much different than what happened a couple weeks ago.  But this was a blip on the news, not some catestrophic event where we have to hold 70 million people in contempt.  
Your headline is misleading clickbait and would ask you kindly to edit the headline to let posters know this is a story from 4 years ago.  

It certainly appears that way.. He said in another thread that the mob of insurrectionists that stormed and occupied the Capitol were just "horsing around"

Your headline is misleading clickbait and would ask you kindly to edit the headline to let posters know this is a story from 4 years ago.  
I'd agree with this. I'm just outside DC and have friends and family that live in Washington proper, and was worried when I saw the thread title.  Not cool.

I'd agree with this. I'm just outside DC and have friends and family that live in Washington proper, and was worried when I saw the thread title.  Not cool.
Hang on...you're worried now but weren't worried 4 years ago when it actually happened?  Huh?

I don't understand the OP's point. If his point is to create a contrast between liberals and conservatives by showing that liberals can protest at the nation's capital without storming Congress and killing police officers........well then, touché.

It's ironic that because January 6th was a right wing protest and not a BLM protest, the powers that be did not order in extra security.  If there would have been extra security then the protestors may have been stopped before they got to the Capitol, and you wouldn't have to be rationalizing them 'horsing around' to everyone.

Becsuse your poop does not stink.  We had natonal guardsmen screened and scruntinized for supporting Trump.  There were  millions of pro-Trump messages scrubed from social media, people banned from posting and accounts frozen.  The holier than thou mentality disgusts me.  
Good. Hate speech shouldn't be protected speech.

I think you need to look deeper into how Trump crapped on half the country. So many of you believed that the left never gave Trump a chance, when there was a real reason for the disdain for Trump, and to a lesser extent, the feelings of animosity towards his diehard supporters. 

Could you imagine if their were tornadoes in Kansas that ripped through a housing developement, killing people, and Biden said "they really need to build better, stronger house foundations in Kansas.  If the Republican governors could just pass laws to strengthen the foundations, then they wouldn't have all these deaths.  

Or how about if Biden reversed a tax bill and stated that interest on your mortgage can be written off unless your home is worth less than 250K.

Everything Trump did was advantageous to the Right and to divide.  And so many people on the right went "Hell Yeah".

Sorry if we don't all sympathize with you now.  

Are you being serious? If so, you are grossly misinformed about what went down at the capitol two weeks ago. People broke into a federal building and had planned with clear intentions to murder specific politicians. That is no where near the same thing as people rioting and causing property damage. 
That is an outright lie. There is no evidence at all about anybody's intentions to murder anyone.  

Even the FBI said there was no evidence. So I'm not sure why you keep trying to push this narrative. I mean I have my guesses as to why you are and I'll keep them to myself for the time being.

It is hugely different than what happened in January 6. People stormed the Capital building with the Presidential line of succession inside. 

That is an outright lie. There is no evidence at all about anybody's intentions to murder anyone.  

Even the FBI said there was no evidence. So I'm not sure why you keep trying to push this narrative. I mean I have my guesses as to why you are and I'll keep them to myself for the time being.
What about all the people chanting "Hang Mike Pence"?

It is hugely different than what happened in January 6. People stormed the Capital building with the Presidential line of succession inside. 
Imagine hundreds of protestors breaking into the White House with the President inside chanting “hang Donald Trump!” It would be a HUGE deal. This is just one step down the Presidential line of succession with the VP and Speaker of the House in the Capitol building - but also arguably of greater scale with the entire membership of Congress being present. 

I don't understand the OP's point....

His point is there's a demarcation point where partisan political hypocrisy pushes it's way into actually changing public policy to effectively demonetize, deplatform and silence the voice of the opposition.

The actual concern is the day when a conservative will wake up and realize a dystopian social credit system is soon to come in his lifetime and while he's "free" to speak, if he says the wrong thing to the prevailing group think, he will be doxxed, cancelled and attempts will be made to get him fired, lose his business, lose his licenses, have his kids taken from him and be shunned and ostracized by society in general.

Life is a game. Politics is a game. There's a problem when the rules are changed so one side always wins. That's the day the Republic dies in spirit. It might carry on for a time afterwards, but all the words holding up it's integrity will be dead and gone. They are merely a punchline to the gradual surrender of our nation's dignity.

Many here don't care because their politics lean left. However once the conservatives are wiped out, who is next? Then the woke cancel culture radical lefties will do a "purity test" to see who is not progressive enough for them. Then those people will be hunted too.

THOSE OF YOU ON THE LEFT, YOU ARE ALL ON THE CANCEL LIST TOO, JUST FURTHER DOWN.

At some point, this stops being out partisan politics and more about recorded human history. First, they take over the education system. Then how the masses are entertained. Then they change the language. They burn the books. Then they accuse their opposition of what they do themselves while feigning outrage. Soon they go after people's ability to earn a living and demand silence. Before long teachers are dragged outside, put on their knees and lined up and shot for doing something insane like teaching children critical thinking and/or actual history and/or encouraging individuality.

@jon_mx and I are first. How long we hold out it's uncertain.  But you are next. You refuse to believe you are next because you, like many others, won't pay attention until it impacts your speech and your viewpoints and your actual free will.

And if that day comes, and human history shows it won't take very long, if you live long enough to see your grandchildren silenced and hunted and begging on their knees for mercy, will you remember the days when this was all metastasizing and you just laughed at it? 

At least jon mx and I will go down battling for our free speech and our free will. It's not just in defense of us, it's also in defense of you too. But many like you will simply be ambushed. You'll wake up one day and that purity test will demand that the righteous and unrighteous alike will be cleansed in one relentless flame meant to crush all real hope.

The point is your laughter today is not free. Every generation of your line after you will have to pay with their freedom for your current indifference.

I like the new feature that lets us know when a moderator changes a thread title. :thumbup:
That isn't new. That feature has been around awhile. I remember seeing thread titles change by the mods for at least a year or so. In any event, thanks to Joe for changing the horribly misleading thread title with a clarifying date.

And for the record, I don’t hold 70 million people in contempt. They exercised their freedom to vote for the candidate of their choosing. 

That’s complete bull####. 
People were chanting ‘Hang Pence’, there were a few holding zip-tie handcuffs and I believe they confirmed at least some wanted to hold the politicians hostage. I guess it’s possible they wouldn’t have murdered them, but based on what’s out there I wouldn’t bet on it.

People were chanting ‘Hang Pence’, there were a few holding zip-tie handcuffs and I believe they confirmed at least some wanted to hold the politicians hostage. I guess it’s possible they wouldn’t have murdered them, but based on what’s out there I wouldn’t bet on it.
You wrote:  “with planned intentions to murder specific people.”   Now you are saying “I believe they confirmed at least some wanted to hold the politicians hostage.”

Which is it?   It sounds like you are speculating.  That is different than irrefutable proof.

You wrote:  “with planned intentions to murder specific people.”   Now you are saying “I believe they confirmed at least some wanted to hold the politicians hostage.”

Which is it?   It sounds like you are speculating.  That is different than irrefutable proof.
There’s really no need to embellish or speculate. The observable facts are bad enough. 

It was an unorganized, unruly mob. Thankfully we will never know what would have happened if they had actually confronted Mike Pence or Nancy Pelosi or AOR. Are certain people overstating the threat by suggesting they intended to murder? Probably. Are other people understating the threat by suggesting that there wouldn’t have been any murder? Certainly. 
But the fact that they were unorganized, without specific plans, doesn’t lessen Trump’s guilt in the slightest, because he incited a mob to enter the Capitol and people died. And it could have been far worse. And attempting to diminish what happened by comparing it to the protests from 4 years earlier is so insipid an argument that it’s honestly not worthy of significant rebuttal. 

Okay, I misspoke and should have said ‘planned intentions to kidnap specific politicians’, which still easily could have turned into murder.

Does that really make it any better or take away from the point I was trying to make?

So you think the people tossing fire extinguishers at the cops and hitting them with flag poles would have played nice if AOC, Pelosi, or Pence were in front of them?

.... doesn’t lessen Trump’s guilt in the slightest, because he incited a mob to enter the Capitol and people died. And it could have been far worse. And attempting to diminish what happened by comparing it to the protests from 4 years earlier is so insipid an argument that it’s honestly not worthy of significant rebuttal. 

George Floyd Riots Caused Record-Setting $2 Billion in Damage, New Report Says. Here’s Why the True Cost Is Even Higher

Even beyond face-value insurance costs, riots leave a lasting shadow on a city that haunts its economy for decades.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

https://fee.org/articles/george-floyd-riots-caused-record-setting-2-billion-in-damage-new-report-says-here-s-why-the-true-cost-is-even-higher/

Speaking of "diminishing what's happened", just the George Floyd riots caused 2 billion in damages, will inevitably ( along with the pandemic) cause the insurance industry to buckle if not collapse, and doesn't even begin to factor in that 75 percent of all small business owners are under insured and 40 percent of those hit in those riots had  zero insurance period.

So, no, no one needs to compare the Capitol riots to four years ago, they can compare them to the riots happening months ago, where many of the small businesses that were looted and burned out were owned by minorities.

Oh, wait, look, there's a thread started by Old Man Gekko talking about the Democratic politicians calling for unrest and violence.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/792083-hypocrisy-democrats-called-for-riots-harm-to-president-trump-for-all-of-2020-113-1059-pst/

So if it's a BLM riot that destroys people's lives, that's OK. Also if you live in a Big Blue city, you can set a business on fire and get away with it, but you can't own a business and open your doors for customers without being arrested. But any other kind of riot is really bad and unjustified.

How about all riots are bad? Is that so hard?

Did you want to justify some more hypocrisy here and paint it all under an "insipid" label?

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/792083-hypocrisy-democrats-called-for-riots-harm-to-president-trump-for-all-of-2020-113-1059-pst/

So if it's a BLM riot that destroys people's lives, that's OK. Also if you live in a Big Blue city, you can set a business on fire and get away with it, but you can't own a business and open your doors for customers without being arrested. But any other kind of riot is really bad and unjustified.

How about all riots are bad? Is that so hard?

Did you want to justify some more hypocrisy here and paint it all under an "insipid" label?
No one here has said that and just about everyone agrees that all riots are bad. 

It’s just never ending strawmen.  I initially thought the conflation of the summer riots (which were awful) with January 6 was a troll job.  Now I think they just don’t get it.  
Depends on the poster. Some are trolling, others just don’t get it. Actually I really don’t care one way or the other. I stopped at “BLM riot”; there’s no such thing. Really it’s not worth responding to. 

His point is there's a demarcation point where partisan political hypocrisy pushes it's way into actually changing public policy to effectively demonetize, deplatform and silence the voice of the opposition.

The actual concern is the day when a conservative will wake up and realize a dystopian social credit system is soon to come in his lifetime and while he's "free" to speak, if he says the wrong thing to the prevailing group think, he will be doxxed, cancelled and attempts will be made to get him fired, lose his business, lose his licenses, have his kids taken from him and be shunned and ostracized by society in general.

Life is a game. Politics is a game. There's a problem when the rules are changed so one side always wins. That's the day the Republic dies in spirit. It might carry on for a time afterwards, but all the words holding up it's integrity will be dead and gone. They are merely a punchline to the gradual surrender of our nation's dignity.

Many here don't care because their politics lean left. However once the conservatives are wiped out, who is next? Then the woke cancel culture radical lefties will do a "purity test" to see who is not progressive enough for them. Then those people will be hunted too.

THOSE OF YOU ON THE LEFT, YOU ARE ALL ON THE CANCEL LIST TOO, JUST FURTHER DOWN.

At some point, this stops being out partisan politics and more about recorded human history. First, they take over the education system. Then how the masses are entertained. Then they change the language. They burn the books. Then they accuse their opposition of what they do themselves while feigning outrage. Soon they go after people's ability to earn a living and demand silence. Before long teachers are dragged outside, put on their knees and lined up and shot for doing something insane like teaching children critical thinking and/or actual history and/or encouraging individuality.

@jon_mx and I are first. How long we hold out it's uncertain.  But you are next. You refuse to believe you are next because you, like many others, won't pay attention until it impacts your speech and your viewpoints and your actual free will.

And if that day comes, and human history shows it won't take very long, if you live long enough to see your grandchildren silenced and hunted and begging on their knees for mercy, will you remember the days when this was all metastasizing and you just laughed at it? 

At least jon mx and I will go down battling for our free speech and our free will. It's not just in defense of us, it's also in defense of you too. But many like you will simply be ambushed. You'll wake up one day and that purity test will demand that the righteous and unrighteous alike will be cleansed in one relentless flame meant to crush all real hope.

The point is your laughter today is not free. Every generation of your line after you will have to pay with their freedom for your current indifference.
Want to compare dystopian futures? “Free speech” reigns on the internet. Our enemies create virtual “people” and voice various lies, from virtual left and right alike, to sow division. They use this lack of regulation to recruit gullible people, disaffected loners, and others who distrust the government. They push lies and disinformation to influence elections. Suddenly your uncle, your mom, your neighbor, don’t believe in the integrity of our government anymore, and they march on the US Capitol, breaking their way in while congress is in session, murder a police officer and destroy the building. 

How does this end if Trump keeps his Twitter account?

No one here is against peaceful protests and we all condemn violence that sometimes spring from them, no matter who is doing the protesting.

What happened on January 6 was significantly different.  While there were plenty of people there to protest and that was fine, the storming of the capitol was an attempt to overturn the election and there were some there to capture and kill members of congress and the vice-president of the United States.  Those people are no better than the 9/11 terrorists and they deserve the harshest of penalties.

This should be perfectly clear to anyone that gives a damn about this country. 

I'll say it again:   No one here is against peaceful protests and we all condemn violence that sometimes spring from them  but it really saddens me that there are fellow Americans that are trying to minimize or equate Jan 6 to any other protest in our lifetime.   

So you think the people tossing fire extinguishers at the cops and hitting them with flag poles would have played nice if AOC, Pelosi, or Pence were in front of them?
Again, more assumptions. This is what got you guys in trouble during the impeachment hearings and with kavanaugh hearings.

I'll state this again: there is absolutely no proof that the rioters intended to murder anyone. Even the FBI says so.

Users who are viewing this thread