What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superflex dynasty roster limits (1 Viewer)

Snorkelson

Footballguy
I’m looking for opinions on how leagues handle the qb position in superflex leagues. Commish is kicking around the idea of having a roster limit for qbs so someone can’t have 5 starting qbs on their bench. Basically keep league integrity in that sense. Does anyone do this in their 2 qb or superflex leagues? Any thoughts/ideas are welcome, he’s still setting up the league and making these determinations. 

I’m looking for opinions on how leagues handle the qb position in superflex leagues. Commish is kicking around the idea of having a roster limit for qbs so someone can’t have 5 starting qbs on their bench. Basically keep league integrity in that sense. Does anyone do this in their 2 qb or superflex leagues? Any thoughts/ideas are welcome, he’s still setting up the league and making these determinations. 
My initial thought is that if the guy can get 5 starting QBs, he's going to want to trade at least one away because he's likely hurting elsewhere. Let him discover this on his own. I could be wrong though, that's just my first thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial thought is that if the guy can get 5 starting QBs, he's going to want to trade at least one away because he's likely hurting elsewhere.
Rosters are on the larger end (can’t remember offhand how many) so rostering guys wouldn’t be an issue. Also the reason we may limit qbs in some way.

Rosters are on the larger end (can’t remember offhand how many) so rostering guys wouldn’t be an issue. Also the reason we may limit qbs in some way.
I just meant talent wise he is likely struggling at other positions since he had to acquire those QBs somehow and they are often pricey in Superflex.

I just meant talent wise he is likely struggling at other positions since he had to acquire those QBs somehow and they are often pricey in Superflex.
It’s a new league, so cost is startup....but maybe it makes sense to limit qbs in the initial draft, and leave it to owners to value the players correctly after that.

If superflex I’d say probably not needed unless the QB scoring is really high comparatively. For 2 QB it makes more sense so that everyone has a shot at 2 starters. 

How many teams are in the league?  If you are in a large league (16+ teams) then there should be a limit for the initial draft.  However, for smaller leagues (<14) it shouldn't be a problem.  We started a 12 team Super Flex with IDP and nobody had any issues with getting QB's.  It is part of the strategy as everyone should be able to get at least one starter (all that is required) and if teams want to hoard them as their strategy so be it.  

I realize FFPC is it's own beast but in their SF format you can't come out of the startup with more than 3 QBs. After that all bets are off, but the overall roster size limits make it really difficult to hold too many of any one position. So as mentioned above, any owner that has 5 QB starters is either hurting elsewhere or is missing out on some trade equity. But, if roster limits allow it and it doesn't hurt his/her depth elsewhere then hoard away. I think the market forces of almost any format are going to enforce themselves on this question, but the startup might be an exception, where imposing a limit might make sense. 

I don't like the idea of limiting how owners can construct their teams.

If this is a 12 team league or less I am not sure its necessary. If it is more teams than that, then maybe you do need something so that all teams at least have the opportunity to get a starting QB.

No rule is going to stop someone from trying to hoard the QBs even after the draft through trades and pick ups. Same as people like to do at the RB position.

I suppose a rule that limits each team to only 3 QB would work, I just wouldn't like not having the option to make a trade for a QB because I already had 3 of them. It also causes me to ask if there should be roster limits to other positions then as well?

I don't like these restrictions but if it were limited to the start up draft maybe that accomplishes your goal of giving every team the opportunity to get one.

What I see such a rule doing in the start up draft is that it hurts the teams who pick QB higher because they wont be able to add more of them later in the draft where they will represent high value.

Perhaps just a rule like: you can't draft a third starting QB before round 6, or a fourth before round 9?

For reasons stated above, roster limits aren't a great idea.

I've seen similar issues in very large leagues where defenses score decent and are flexible. A couple guys drafted 4 or 5 of them and held them hostage. QBs in those leagues were more fairly distributed. I guess that shows that people are used to QB scarcity in superflex leagues.....not so much defensive scarcity

Thanks for the thoughts guys, it’s been helpful. Sounds like we will limit qb in the startup and owners need to value appropriately after that. 

I played in a league that limited QBs, which I didn't realize when joining. It was entirely stupid imo. The rest of the league seemed to agree and we overturned the rule unanimously a few years in. 

Let people build their team how they want to build them. And if someone doesn't prioritize the position and gets stuck that's their prerogative. Don't dictate how the rest of the owners can play to protect them. 

Plus, it's just superflex. You don't HAVE to start a qb in the SF spot. 

Users who are viewing this thread