What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ticketmaster fees.... are you kidding me? (1 Viewer)

HERBERT THE HIPPO

REAL Ultimate Power
Looking at buying tickets for the Green Day, Weezer and Fall Out Boy (my daughter loves all three), concert in Miami later this year...... $136.00 in fees, how is this ok?

$335.70

Tickets

Standard Ticket: $99.50 x 2

$199.00

Fees

Service Fee: $29.85 x 2 $59.70

Facility Charge: $36.00 x 2 $72.00

Order Processing Fee $5.00

Delivery

Go Mobile

Free

It makes no sense to me why this sort of thing isn't outright illegal.  One of the main reasons I've almost completely stopped going to concerts.

Yea, that's been my experience - the actual price is always about 1/3 higher than the total of the ticket prices. It's priced me out of shows. 

But people pay it.  

Looking at buying tickets for the Green Day, Weezer and Fall Out Boy (my daughter loves all three), concert in Miami later this year...... $136.00 in fees, how is this ok?

$335.70

Tickets

$199.00

Fees

Delivery

Go Mobile

Free
Just a small convience fee.

Just a small convience fee.
Went to a HS volleyball game last year.  No more hard tickets as you have to buy them online and show them on your phone.  The game tickets were 6.00 per ticket, fee 3.00 per ticket.  For HS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a "we've been out of business for a year" fee. I expect to be gouged for all "normal" activities whenever this thing is over. Was planning a Hawaii vacation before this all hit. Was going to be something like $15k all in. Doubt I will be able to do that same trip for under $20k whenever the window opens back up.

Probably a "we've been out of business for a year" fee. I expect to be gouged for all "normal" activities whenever this thing is over. Was planning a Hawaii vacation before this all hit. Was going to be something like $15k all in. Doubt I will be able to do that same trip for under $20k whenever the window opens back up.
Ticketmaster has been charging these types of fees for well over two decades. It has nothing to do with Covid.

Looking at buying tickets for the Green Day, Weezer and Fall Out Boy (my daughter loves all three), concert
Nothing wrong with wanting to see Weezer or Green Day. You don't have to hide behind your daughter, were all friends here. 😁

Seriously though, I've literally hit "cancel" at the last minute at least 5 times (pre covid) when buying tickets online amd seeing the total cost after all the ridiculous fees. Crooks. 

That seems a lot higher than normal.  Just looked at tickets for a jason isbell show in ny.   Its ~18 in fees.   Not sure what's going on with your show.   

ETA:  I think its the facility charge that's different than what I was looking at.  My tickets are only 55 so that's roughly the same percentage for the service fee but I have no facility charge.   

Ticketmaster is only partly to blame. Bands want to look like they’re the good guys to their fans so they contract with the venues and Ticketmaster to price everything so that the ticket prices are cheaper with lots of other fees. Bands could easily just price their tickets 30% higher to pay Ticketmaster and the venues with no extra fees, but obviously don’t want to do that because they don’t want to look like they’re greedy and gouging their fans. So they make Ticketmaster break out the other fees so that they come out looking better and everyone else looks greedy.

With that being said, those fees are ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see Weezer or Green Day. You don't have to hide behind your daughter, were all friends here. 😁

Seriously though, I've literally hit "cancel" at the last minute at least 5 times (pre covid) when buying tickets online amd seeing the total cost after all the ridiculous fees. Crooks. 
Exactly, and it's not like I can't afford to pay the fees, I just hate getting ripped off.

Ticketmaster is only partly to blame. Bands want to look like they’re the good guys to their fans so they contract with the venues and Ticketmaster to price everything so that the ticket prices are cheaper with lots of other fees. Bands could easily just price their tickets 30% higher to pay Ticketmaster and the venues with no extra fees, but obviously don’t want to do that because they don’t want to look like they’re greedy and gouging their fans. So they make Ticketmaster break out the other fees so that they come out looking better and everyone else looks greedy.

With that being said, those fees are ridiculous.
That's interesting, I never knew that.

Ticketmaster is like the airlines. Baggage fees. Service fees. Venue fees. First guy to board the plane fees. Processing fee. Tarmac fee.

FOR CRAPS SAKE JUST ROLL THE COST OF DOING YOUR BUSINESS INTO THE DAMN TICKET FEE SO YOUR CUSTOMERS DON’T FEEL NICKEL AND DIMED ALL DAY BECAUSE THAT BUSINESS MODEL JUST PISSES OFF YOUR TARGET MARKET YOU MORONIC BUSINESS PEOPLE.

:hot:

Ticketmaster is like the airlines. Baggage fees. Service fees. Venue fees. First guy to board the plane fees. Processing fee. Tarmac fee.

FOR CRAPS SAKE JUST ROLL THE COST OF DOING YOUR BUSINESS INTO THE DAMN TICKET FEE SO YOUR CUSTOMERS DON’T FEEL NICKEL AND DIMED ALL DAY BECAUSE THAT BUSINESS MODEL JUST PISSES OFF YOUR TARGET MARKET YOU MORONIC BUSINESS PEOPLE.

Or buying new tires. Tire is advertised at X price. Oh you want a valve stem in there? Wait, you want them actually on the car? We're going to charge you to balance them. Sorry but we have a shop fee and don't you love the planet so here's an environmental fee.

If you are close to the venue, buy direct from the box office and bypass TM.  It has saved me $ over the years.  

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just tell me the tickets are $170 each instead of making me feel like you sticking a furley up my butt.

On the contrary, I believe I have the perfect solution to the problem.  I am not going.  I won't be paying $136 in fees I don't like.  
Incorrect on all accounts. Problem solving is achieving your desired outcome despite the obstacles strewn all about your desired path. An an example, the only thing that stands between me and my not being convicted of murder is the fat rat furley testifying against me. You would say "you could have just not committed murder" ...... problem not solved. I on the other hand would toss the fat rat in to a vat of acid and shake it around until nothing is left except a remnant of his Sperry Topsiders..... problem solved.

Ticketmaster and Live Nation are both evil, but this is the price we pay for Napster and the downloading culture.  Most music artists, even many successful ones, cannot make a living anymore merely from sales of their albums and/or singles.  Touring is where they money is made, which is why prices are off the charts now.   For someone like me, who has spent most of my adult life buying as much music as I can, it is a tough pill to swallow, but for the younger generation, who thinks they should get all of their music for free, they can take their complaints about concert ticket prices and go spit. 

Incorrect on all accounts. Problem solving is achieving your desired outcome despite the obstacles strewn all about your desired path. An an example, the only thing that stands between me and my not being convicted of murder is the fat rat furley testifying against me. You would say "you could have just not committed murder" ...... problem not solved. I on the other hand would toss the fat rat in to a vat of acid and shake it around until nothing is left except a remnant of his Sperry Topsiders..... problem solved.
He's an angry Hippo.

Ticketmaster and Live Nation are both evil, but this is the price we pay for Napster and the downloading culture.  Most music artists, even many successful ones, cannot make a living anymore merely from sales of their albums and/or singles.  Touring is where they money is made, which is why prices are off the charts now.   For someone like me, who has spent most of my adult life buying as much music as I can, it is a tough pill to swallow, but for the younger generation, who thinks they should get all of their music for free, they can take their complaints about concert ticket prices and go spit. 
Did I just walk into a time machine? The youth of today isn't downloading music; they're streaming it from services that pay the artists greedy record labels.

Did I just walk into a time machine? The youth of today isn't downloading music; they're streaming it from services that pay the artists greedy record labels.
Sure, but most artists still make almost nothing from streaming.   Look up the numbers.  It's appalling. 

And we got to this place because of downloading.  The idea of buying your music went out the window for many decades ago. 

And I am not trying to sound like the old man yelling at the cloud (insert joke), but merely giving a reason why concert ticket prices are so high now.  If you want your favorite artists to keep making new music and touring, they almost have to overcharge for concerts cause they sure aren't gonna make a living off of album sales, unless they are Taylor Swift, Beyonce or the latest country pop star (whomever that might be), lol. 

What I do these days is not bother buying tickets until a day or two before the show. Someone will need to change their plans and you can get them cheaper then 
Good call.  U2 was in town three years ago and I got a ticket for less than $50 the day of the concert.  The seat wasn't the greatest, and no one else wanted to go (every U2 fan I know didn't want to go), but I went to a concert by myself for the first time ever and had a blast and made friends with some people in my row, and for a good price. :cool:  

What I do these days is not bother buying tickets until a day or two before the show. Someone will need to change their plans and you can get them cheaper then 
Many tickets that get compted go right to Stubhub, people get whatever they can for them.  Best to buy them from here as if there is an issue, you'll get your money back.  Also, the prices tend to drop as it gets close to the event, the market gets flooded and people settle for whatever they can get.  You are also avoiding the ticketmaster fees.

Many tickets that get compted go right to Stubhub, people get whatever they can for them.  Best to buy them from here as if there is an issue, you'll get your money back.  Also, the prices tend to drop as it gets close to the event, the market gets flooded and people settle for whatever they can get.  You are also avoiding the ticketmaster fees.
But you are paying StubHub fees which is a percentage of the sell price so they get fairly large as well.

ETA:  you are correct though that you can play the waiting game and the prices can fluctuate.  Really monitoring them for awhile will help too as you can see other tickets being purchased as prices move.  It's a game.

But you are paying StubHub fees which is a percentage of the sell price so they get fairly large as well.
I thought the stubhub fees are split between buyer and seller (cound be wrong)?  Many tickets on Stubhub are ones that were never made available to the public also.

Another thing about concerts that sucks is putting out the money 6-8 months ahead of the show.  

I thought the stubhub fees are split between buyer and seller (cound be wrong)?  Many tickets on Stubhub are ones that were never made available to the public also.

Another thing about concerts that sucks is putting out the money 6-8 months ahead of the show.  
They are split but it comes to about 25% (combined) of the ticket price once all said and done.  They essentially double dip.  It was very frustrating as a seller (I had season tickets for the LA Kings and lived 3 hrs away so we had to sell often).  I found TickPick to be much better where you can have a lower sell price but still pocket more money and vice versa when buying (ticket price might be more but total out the door cost was less when buying).

Bottom line is shop around for all the secondary market outlets and you can find some decent deals.

That seems a lot higher than normal.  Just looked at tickets for a jason isbell show in ny.   Its ~18 in fees.   Not sure what's going on with your show.   

ETA:  I think its the facility charge that's different than what I was looking at.  My tickets are only 55 so that's roughly the same percentage for the service fee but I have no facility charge.   
Obviously we’re all used to Ticketmaster fees, but the numbers quoted here do seem higher than normal and I agree it is the facility charge that seems out of whack here.

I rarely go to big venue shows anymore so don’t run into these guys more than a few times a year, but it is annoying every time. 

$335.70

Tickets

$199.00

Fees

Delivery

Go Mobile

Free
There's three of us going to this show at Petco Park in San Diego. We bought the tickets when they first went on sale -- in September 2019. 

For what it's worth, these were our fees:

USD $5.00 (Order Processing Fee)

USD $4.00 (Facility Charge) x 3

USD $19.95 (Service Fee) x 3

My daughter is really into My Chemical Romance, which was supposed to play their reunion tour last year. It got postponed to later this year, so I was looking at upgrading our seats. They're "Platinum Tickets," so I clicked the description:

"Platinum Tickets are tickets that are dynamically priced up and down based on demand. Platinum Tickets are not part of VIP packages - they are tickets only."

So essentially, "Platinum Tickets" are a way for Ticketmaster to scalp their own tickets, I guess. That's nice. 

A reunion tour would scare me buying that far out also.  What are the odds they play, unless they really need the money?

Users who are viewing this thread