What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden vs Girls Sports (1 Viewer)

I agree that safety does apply to limited sports and the competitive advantage applies to more but not all.  I would be fine with those be excluded if there a simple way to agree to it.  I don’t see that happening so by default I would imagine it’s all or nothing.

I understand it’s a difficult situation and sucks for those individuals - I would be in favor of states, cities and leagues deciding for themselves and not having it be an EO.  I’d hold the same stance at those levels but then at least I could decide if I wanted to participate and not have it default to all.  I’d be supportive of alternative leagues where this was allowed but I doubt there would be funding and enough participation to have them survive.
Except that states, cities and leagues play against each other.  What if one state or city or league allowed biological males to play female sports and the city they're playing against doesn't?  Seems like yet another unfair advantage. 

It has to be all or nothing.  I don't see any other way.  :shrug:

Actual males will ALWAYS have 1000x more testosterone than an actual female regardless of what extra hormones they are taking.
This is  the second time you asserted this.  Guess what?   It isn't close to being true.

"Generally, women’s bodies make about 1/10th to 1/20th of the amount of testosterone as men’s bodies." - Link

Maybe I'm missing something?
"It is what you learn after you know it all that counts"  - Earl Weaver or John Wooden or Harry Truman or ...

Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that if you were born with female parts and estrogen then you play female sports.  if you were born with male parts and testosterone then you play male sports.
I’m confused because you wrote “I would say no” when I asked you if a trans male taking testosterone should be allowed to participate in women’s sports.  Now it seems like you’re saying the opposite.

While discussing this issue I think it’s important to go back to some first principles.  What are sports for?  Why do we value them?  What are the benefits?

People seem to have very different ideas about these questions and that may be driving some disagreement.
I think trying to move heaven and earth for a significantly small % of the population is folly.  They should be conforming to the 99.9%.  The 99.9% should NOT be conforming to the .000004%.

I’m confused because you wrote “I would say no” when I asked you if a trans male taking testosterone should be allowed to participate in women’s sports.  Now it seems like you’re saying the opposite.
Okay, now I'm just confused.  is a "trans male" someone who was born female but is taking testosteronal supplements?  If so, then that person should be playing female sports but stop taking supplements since that will give her an unfair advantage over the other women.

I think trying to move heaven and earth for a significantly small % of the population is folly.  They should be conforming to the 99.9%.  The 99.9% should NOT be conforming to the .000004%.
These figure are not accurate.  And not all cis people are in agreement on this issue.  I’m a cis man but I think trans people should be able to play sports.  Don’t put me in the group that is forcing trans people to “conform.”

These figure are not accurate.  And not all cis people are in agreement on this issue.  I’m a cis man but I think trans people should be able to play sports.  Don’t put me in the group that is forcing trans people to “conform.”
You're not a "cis man", you're a man if you were born male.

And yes, transgenders are a significantly small % of the population to the tune of .004% (or something like that).  Life isn't fair.  I would say the faster you come to grips with that the better off you'll be.

You say you don't want to "conform", yet you expect everyone else to "conform" around transgenders.  That's absurd.

Okay, now I'm just confused.  is a "trans male" someone who was born female but is taking testosteronal supplements?  If so, then that person should be playing female sports but stop taking supplements since that will give her an unfair advantage over the other women.
1. Yes

2. As a general matter trans males take testosterone for reasons unrelated to sports.  It is a generally recognized treatment that benefits mental health for example.  Why should we prioritize competitive balance in sports as more important than a person’s mental health?  I think just the opposite.

This is  the second time you asserted this.  Guess what?   It isn't close to being true.

"Generally, women’s bodies make about 1/10th to 1/20th of the amount of testosterone as men’s bodies." - Link

"It is what you learn after you know it all that counts"  - Earl Weaver or John Wooden or Harry Truman or ...
It was an exaggeration to prove that men will ALWAYS have more testosterone than women, naturally and even when women are taking testosterone supplements.  But, yeah, thanks for proving my point.  :thumbup:

I would be in favor of states, cities and leagues deciding for themselves and not having it be an EO.
The Executive Order simply states that the federal agencies will apply the law of the land.  The law that was reaffirmed by the Supreme Court in Bostock v. Clayton County.

Here is the three page executive order.  What about it is inappropriate at the federal level?

Enforcing Prohibitions on Sex Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation. (a) The head of each agency shall, as soon as practicable and in consultation with the Attorney General, as appropriate, review all existing orders, regulations, guidance documents, policies, programs, or other agency actions (‘‘agency actions’’) that:

(i) were promulgated or are administered by the agency under Title VII or any other statute or regulation that prohibits sex discrimination, including any that relate to the agency’s own compliance with such statutes or regulations; and

(ii) are or may be inconsistent with the policy set forth in section 1 of this order. (b) The head of each agency shall, as soon as practicable and as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, including the Administrative Procedure Act (5 U.S.C. 551 et seq.), consider whether to revise, suspend, or rescind such agency actions, or promulgate new agency actions, as necessary to fully implement statutes that prohibit sex discrimination and the policy set forth in section 1 of this order. (c) The head of each agency shall, as soon as practicable, also consider whether there are additional actions that the agency should take to ensure that it is fully implementing the policy set forth in section 1 of this order. If an agency takes an action described in this subsection or subsection (b) of this section, it shall seek to ensure that it is accounting for, and taking appropriate steps to combat, overlapping forms of discrimination, such as discrimination on the basis of race or disability. (d) Within 100 days of the date of this order, the head of each agency shall develop, in consultation with the Attorney General, as appropriate, a plan to carry out actions that the agency has identified pursuant to subsections (b) and (c) of this section, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law. Sec. 3. Definition. ‘

1. Yes

2. As a general matter trans males take testosterone for reasons unrelated to sports.  It is a generally recognized treatment that benefits mental health for example.  Why should we prioritize competitive balance in sports as more important than a person’s mental health?  I think just the opposite.
2.  The whole purpose of sports is to play with the best and the elite, not to check of some box to make ourselves feel better.

It was an exaggeration to prove that men will ALWAYS have more testosterone than women, naturally and even when women are taking testosterone supplements.  But, yeah, thanks for proving my point.  :thumbup:
So your best argument in an exaggeration, a lie?    Something you made up out of thin air?

Seriously..who thinks of these things? 

You know Biden did not come up with this and yet he gets the blame for these awful ideas.  

Last edited by a moderator:
While discussing this issue I think it’s important to go back to some first principles.  What are sports for?  Why do we value them?  What are the benefits?

People seem to have very different ideas about these questions and that may be driving some disagreement.
I agree.  This is one of those issues that would probably generate a little more light and little less heat if we start from first principles, in part because most of us probably agree on most of them.  Here's where I come down, and my guess is that you and I are probably on the same page at first:

1) Sports aren't that big a deal.  We're trying to get through a global pandemic that has up-ended society for nearly a full calendar year at this point.  We're struggling to deal with issues regarding systemic racism and police brutality.  Economic inequality and the distribution of wealth has always been a massive issue and will continue to be so until the problem of scarcity disappears somehow.  Outside of the political realm exists a whole host of issues involving religion, art, philosophy, etc. that help people make sense of their lives.  Who gets to play what sport is really an insignificant issue in the broader picture.

2) Having acknowledged (1), we can also acknowledge that sports aren't totally unimportant either.  I don't think of myself as an athlete, but I do enjoy running.  When I was at my peak, I was a marginally-above-average marathoner.  On a typical day against a typical field, I could expect to finish around the 70th percentile or so -- toward the top end of the median half, but still a mid-packer.  I was never really competing for anything, but it was something fun to do.  I still like running, and I just got back from a short run.  Back in March, when we were talking about lockdowns and curfews, I was one of a handful of people who said that I would continue to run by myself even if it were made illegal to do so, so obviously it matters to me at least a little.  I'm therefore safe in assuming that sports also matter to at least some other people too.

3) Sports are something enjoyable that we do for leisure.  They have similar value to any other leisure activity.  They don't determine our worth as human beings or anything like that, but they provide a nice, safe outlet for our competitive instincts.  I see this point as following from (1) and (2), mostly.

4) Some people aren't good at sports for one reason or another, and some of those folks are going to be excluded from serious competition no matter how we structure athletics.  This point falls squarely in the "life isn't fair" bucket, and it's not necessarily a problem in need of fixing.

I suspect we more or less agree so far.

5) There is no one obviously correct way to structure competitive sports.  For example, we could decide as a society that we're just going to have open leagues where everybody competes against everybody else.  I would advocate against that position, but there's nothing inherently wrong that arrangement (in contrast to system racism, for example).  

6) That said, there are massive population-level differences between males and females when it comes to strength, speed, endurance, agility, etc.  Some females can outperform most males in athletics, but no females can outperform the top males.  These differences are mostly rooted in biology, which is why it's good to use the term "male" and "female" -- conflating sex and gender identity has the effect of downplaying this point.

7) Given (6), it's reasonable to let females have their own sports leagues or divisions where they can compete among themselves.  Again, there's no moral imperative here, but it opens up a valuable leisure activity to females that wouldn't exist otherwise.  This is the reason why we have "men's sports" and "women's sports" and it's sort of the reason why Title IX exists in the sporting world.

8) Once you accept that we're segregating by biological sex, not gender identity, then the issue of trans women in sports isn't difficult.  They're males, and they can compete with other males if they want.  Probably that means that most trans women won't be winning a lot of medals, but some people aren't good at sports for one reason or another, and that's not a problem in need of fixing.  

I'm sure we diverge somewhere in those last several points.

Another case where you are moving real numbers over two decimal places.
I see you're being the king of petty.  Congrats!

My point(s) stand.  It's a statistically insignificant amount.  You know what I meant, but you want to play games as some kind of distraction from the real point.  Is this your thing?  If so, I'd rather you either play it with someone else or try to focus on the real issue here. 

I appreciate your cooperation.  :thumbup:

How can a statistically insignificant amount of people destroy women's sports?
Cool.  If it's so small then it's not that big of a deal to NOT make 99.9% of the population conform around them.

See how easy it was to turn it around on you?  You can stop playing games now.

The real issue is that the president of the nation signed an executive order that the law of the land will be enforced.  The horror!
Kind of like the Biden wasn't wearing a mask  after signing a EO to follow CDC guidelines on wearing mask, as he followed CDC guidelines on wearing a mask

The real issue is that the president of the nation signed an executive order that the law of the land will be enforced.  The horror!
Yeah, not so simple as you're trying to make it out to be. 

You should focus on conversation instead of trying so hard to be the smartest guy in the room.  I'm guessing you love reading your own posts - you seem like that type of guy.  Also, the type of guy that likes to argue just to argue.

Can we get back to the issue now?  Or do you still want to play games?

How can a statistically insignificant amount of people destroy women's sports?
To use one example, the number of people who can play center competently in the NBA is statistically insignificant.  Those people would destroy the WNBA if -- for some weird reason -- they were forced to play in that league.  We all get that, and we all understand that that's why the WNBA exists as a women-only league.

Any time you're talking about any competitive activity -- sports, chess, poker, whatever -- it's going to be the statistically insignificant number of people who live on the right tail of the distribution who dominate everything.  Small differences in population-level means generally translate into huge differences at the tails.  In the specific topic of men's and women's sports this is even more pronounced because the population-level differences are really large, not small.   

Yeah, not so simple as you're trying to make it out to be. 

You should focus on conversation instead of trying so hard to be the smartest guy in the room.  I'm guessing you love reading your own posts - you seem like that type of guy.  Also, the type of guy that likes to argue just to argue.

Can we get back to the issue now?  Or do you still want to play games?
So funny  :lol:

I agree.  This is one of those issues that would probably generate a little more light and little less heat if we start from first principles, in part because most of us probably agree on most of them.  Here's where I come down, and my guess is that you and I are probably on the same page at first:
Thanks for the response I'll try to provide my perspective.

1) Sports aren't that big a deal.  We're trying to get through a global pandemic that has up-ended society for nearly a full calendar year at this point.  We're struggling to deal with issues regarding systemic racism and police brutality.  Economic inequality and the distribution of wealth has always been a massive issue and will continue to be so until the problem of scarcity disappears somehow.  Outside of the political realm exists a whole host of issues involving religion, art, philosophy, etc. that help people make sense of their lives.  Who gets to play what sport is really an insignificant issue in the broader picture.

2) Having acknowledged (1), we can also acknowledge that sports aren't totally unimportant either.  I don't think of myself as an athlete, but I do enjoy running.  When I was at my peak, I was a marginally-above-average marathoner.  On a typical day against a typical field, I could expect to finish around the 70th percentile or so -- toward the top end of the median half, but still a mid-packer.  I was never really competing for anything, but it was something fun to do.  I still like running, and I just got back from a short run.  Back in March, when we were talking about lockdowns and curfews, I was one of a handful of people who said that I would continue to run by myself even if it were made illegal to do so, so obviously it matters to me at least a little.  I'm therefore safe in assuming that sports also matter to at least some other people too.

3) Sports are something enjoyable that we do for leisure.  They have similar value to any other leisure activity.  They don't determine our worth as human beings or anything like that, but they provide a nice, safe outlet for our competitive instincts.  I see this point as following from (1) and (2), mostly.

4) Some people aren't good at sports for one reason or another, and some of those folks are going to be excluded from serious competition no matter how we structure athletics.  This point falls squarely in the "life isn't fair" bucket, and it's not necessarily a problem in need of fixing.

I suspect we more or less agree so far.
Yeah, I think we're pretty good through here.  Nothing worth quibbling about at least.

5) There is no one obviously correct way to structure competitive sports.  For example, we could decide as a society that we're just going to have open leagues where everybody competes against everybody else.  I would advocate against that position, but there's nothing inherently wrong that arrangement (in contrast to system racism, for example).  
I agree that sports can be structured differently, but I'm not sure why you created the strawman of "open leagues" that nobody seems to be advocating for here.  Right now we're talking about whether it's better to segregate leagues by: 1) how people were assigned their gender at birth; or 2) how people identify now.  So really I think the most useful way to approach the question is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the two approaches as compared to one another.

I6) That said, there are massive population-level differences between males and females when it comes to strength, speed, endurance, agility, etc.  Some females can outperform most males in athletics, but no females can outperform the top males.  These differences are mostly rooted in biology, which is why it's good to use the term "male" and "female" -- conflating sex and gender identity has the effect of downplaying this point.
I agree that people assigned male at birth as a general matter are more likely to be stronger or faster for physiological reasons, although there are wide variations within each gender so there are plenty of people assigned female at birth that are stronger or faster than a significant number of people assigned male at birth.  I don't agree with your point about the nomenclature but that seems somewhat irrelevant right now.

7) Given (6), it's reasonable to let females have their own sports leagues or divisions where they can compete among themselves.  Again, there's no moral imperative here, but it opens up a valuable leisure activity to females that wouldn't exist otherwise.  This is the reason why we have "men's sports" and "women's sports" and it's sort of the reason why Title IX exists in the sporting world.
Agreed.

😎 Once you accept that we're segregating by biological sex, not gender identity, then the issue of trans women in sports isn't difficult.  They're males, and they can compete with other males if they want.  Probably that means that most trans women won't be winning a lot of medals, but some people aren't good at sports for one reason or another, and that's not a problem in need of fixing.  
I feel like you skipped some steps in your reasoning here.  If we're trying to discuss the pros and cons of the two approaches, you haven't made much of a list.  So far you have identified one possible "pro" for the "segregate athletes by the gender they were assigned at birth argument" -- namely that it may be somewhat better than the alternative at dividing the superior athletes and the inferior athletes into different leagues.  Before moving on, I think it's worth discussing this "pro,"  Firstly, it's not THAT much of a pro, because under both systems there are some athletes in the higher-level league that are worse than athletes in the lower-level league.  If your objective is to have similarly-talented athletes compete against each other, both systems are kinda lousy.  Secondly, I think in a lot of instances this pro is actually fairly insignificant.  Lets say someone who was a pretty crappy male soccer player transitions and then becomes a pretty good female soccer player (but not some sort of superstar).  That doesn't really ruin things for anyone as far as I can tell.  It's just like if some good female soccer player joined one of the teams.  It really only seems like this has the potential for ruining stuff if the player is really, really good.

In any case, it doesn't seem like you have given any consideration at all to the "cons" of your approach. When you say "they're males, and they can compete with other males if they want" I think you're glossing over something that would absolutely be traumatic for a trans person.  If I'm living as a female and you make me play a team sport where everyone else is male, I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb, draw a lot of unwanted attention, feel as though my chosen gender is being ignored, etc.  Many trans people are not out to everyone-- your rule may create a huge problem for someone who is happily living as a woman amongst lots of people that ONLY know that person as a woman.  You are forcing this woman to announce to the world "I WAS BORN WITH A PENIS!!"  I think that's cruel.  These are not trivial matters.  The failure to recognize trans people as their chosen gender has been documented to be a source of serious mental distress for trans people.  

But what seems much more likely than the trans person playing in a different gender league is the trans person just choosing not to participate in sports at all.  Because why should she want to subject herself to that level of scrutiny about her most private health matters unless she absolutely had to?  And this is another big con.  Because we both agreed that sports can be a wonderful aspect of a person's life but you're making it so that very few trans people will actually participate in sports.  And that's a problem for the trans people.

I'd say it's also a problem for the cis people.  Because team sports are also a great way to meet new people and broaden your horizons.  Integration of sports teams was a useful tool in diminishing racism in this country from my perspective.  It could do something similar for transphobia if we allowed trans athletes to participate.  

I feel like I had more to say but this is already way too long so I'll stop here. 

Except that states, cities and leagues play against each other.  What if one state or city or league allowed biological males to play female sports and the city they're playing against doesn't?  Seems like yet another unfair advantage. 

It has to be all or nothing.  I don't see any other way.  :shrug:
We are playing sports locally and different schools and counties have different rules regarding wearing a mask.  Some schools allow players with medical exemptions to play without the mask.  Some do not and force those players to sit out (or they refuse to play that team).  These decisions are about both public health (spread of covid) and competitive advantage (playing without a mask is an advantage over playing with one).  It's no different.  If someone was trying to play someone that was born a male but identified as a female against my daughter I wouldn't let her play.  It's a competitive disadvantage physically and a safety issue because of that disadvantage.

If someone was trying to play someone that was born a male but identified as a female against my daughter I wouldn't let her play.  It's a competitive disadvantage physically and a safety issue because of that disadvantage.
Would you also pull your daughter out of playing if she faced a team with a cis female player that was really good and physically imposing?  If not, why not?  Seems like the same competitive and safety issues.

Would you also pull your daughter out of playing if she faced a team with a cis female player that was really good and physically imposing?  If not, why not?  Seems like the same competitive and safety issues.
WTH is a "cis female " and why do you keep using "cis" in your posts?  That's not a word.

Not if we’re trying to distinguish between cis females and trans females.  For this thread it’s important to keep those groups distinct because that’s the issue being discussed.
female = biologicial female (born XX and a uterus/ovaries)

male = biological male (born XY and ZERO uterus/ovaries)

trans female = male with a sex identity crisis

trans male = female with a sex identity crisis

trans female = male with a sex identity crisis

trans male = female with a sex identity crisis
These topics tend to get everybody on edge, and it's best not to inflame things like with "sex identity crisis."  It's factually true to say that trans women are male, but their mental state isn't relevant for the topic at hand and feels like piling on to people who have a rough go of it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread