What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Super Bowl LV Thread *** Kansas City Chiefs (-3) vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (O/U 56) (3 Viewers)

Overjoyed. 
Little surprised more people didn’t realize how big of a mismatch the Tampa dline vs that KC oline was. 
Seriously. I figured he'd throw a lot of parallel passes and screens to avoid the rush, and that Hill and Hardman and Williams or Edwards-Helaire would move the ball that way. They clearly didn't.

Bottom line is that no matter what part of the country you hail from, there's no reason to hate on the GOAT. He left Boston and now plays in Florida. Sure, he smacks the shizz out of your team, my team and basically everyone's team but the guy is the best ever. Not a bad bone in his body, no DV charges, no DUI's, Failed tests of any kind. Great family life and to be honest, he's not the most athletic mofo you'll run into. The guy just has one quality, he wins. He wins no matter who he is surrounded by, he wins no matter where he is.
My Bears have never been anything close to a rival of his, but the one time that I can remember it mattering was during the Urlacher era. Brady had something like 3rd and 8 from maybe the Bears 14 yard line and scrambled up the middle to get the 1st prior to a goal to go TD. But he totally juked Urlacher with a move that didn't look any better than if he tried it today, but Urlacher choked hard on it and it was the difference between a 4 yard gain and a 10 yard conversion. 

Yeah I should have remembered Godwin, I think he's gonna leave for more money. I could see AB signing if the front office wants him back. Evans, AB, Miller, Gronk?, Howard? etc. isn't chopped meat. I also see Najae Harris being mocked to TB a lot. I think Fournette is gone and Jones is a comp. back
Fournette ran with passion. He knew this was his best chance to win a title and he took it. But I think he might be back. Even if he follows the money, what's the market for a RB with some tread on the tires? I call that one 50/50.

Godwin is gone. He'll get paid somewhere. 

I saw a meme that said Tom Brady is statistically more likely to make the Super Bowl than Steph Curry is to make a 3-pointer. 
That's. Maybe the most incredible thing I've ever read. It is on par with being told there were more years of time that passed between the building of the Great Pyramid and the reign of Cleopatra than between the reign of Cleopatra and Tom Brady's 7th Super Bowl victory.

Bottom line is that no matter what part of the country you hail from, there's no reason to hate on the GOAT. He left Boston and now plays in Florida. Sure, he smacks the shizz out of your team, my team and basically everyone's team but the guy is the best ever. Not a bad bone in his body, no DV charges, no DUI's, Failed tests of any kind. Great family life and to be honest, he's not the most athletic mofo you'll run into. The guy just has one quality, he wins. He wins no matter who he is surrounded by, he wins no matter where he is.
He's a pretty sore loser and the cheating allegations up in NE. Nick Foles still wants a Congratulations handshake from Brady. 

Overjoyed. 

Little surprised more people didn’t realize how big of a mismatch the Tampa dline vs that KC oline was. 
What's up buddy. I know you and I threw jabs here and there on here. 

Cheers and much love on the title. :banned:

I'm down in Tampa all the damn time. One of these days I'm gone but you some damn drinks. Either way... cheers GB. 

Fournette ran with passion. He knew this was his best chance to win a title and he took it. But I think he might be back. Even if he follows the money, what's the market for a RB with some tread on the tires? I call that one 50/50.

Godwin is gone. He'll get paid somewhere. 
Godwin is getting franchised. 

What's up buddy. I know you and I threw jabs here and there on here. 

Cheers and much love on the title. :banned:

I'm down in Tampa all the damn time. One of these days I'm gone but you some damn drinks. Either way... cheers GB. 
It’s all love man, we are just goofin in here. Definitely take you up on that. Thanks buddy!! 

Seriously. I figured he'd throw a lot of parallel passes and screens to avoid the rush, and that Hill and Hardman and Williams or Edwards-Helaire would move the ball that way. They clearly didn't.
That was their best hope but the Bucs were beating them to the edges. I thought the Bucs were the better team sometime in the middle of the second quarter and would win, and they just poured it on from there. 

That was their best hope but the Bucs were beating them to the edges. I thought the Bucs were the better team sometime in the middle of the second quarter and would win, and they just poured it on from there. 
Yeah, some of the penalties were suspect and helped put KC in a position that they couldn't get out under from, but Tampa absolutely smothered the Chiefs tonight on defense and left no real doubt who was the better team. Too much speed on defense and all over the field, really, even on offense. Evans beat his guys on the two big defensive penalties on that last drive of the half and he just sort of accelerated right by them. Even Gronk looked spry. But David and White had a big responsibility in matching up with Kelce, and David especially proved up to the task of being able to cover him at least long enough to pass him off to a safety, something many LBs would be totally lost on.

Congrats on the win. Good job all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Bucs answered the Chiefs FG with a touchdown and then shutdown their next drive I knew it was over. Credit goes to Todd Bowles, the Bucs D showed up.

NFL defenses no longer dominate, making Bucs’ shutdown of Chiefs even more impressive

TAMPA — Around here the people still rave about Derrick Brooks, about Warren Sapp, about Ronde Barber and Shelton Quarles and John Lynch and all the 2002-03 defenders who brought Super Bowl glee to a football place so often glee-less.

Give it another generation, and will they rave about Shaquil Barrett, about the phenomenal Devin White, about Lavonte David and Jason Pierre-Paul and Sean Murphy-Bunting? Might a pedestrian on the Tampa Riverwalk in the year 2040 spot the occasional Vita Vea jersey amid all the old Tom Bradys?

Nah, they’ll probably just yammer on about Brady.

Yet the big fact hovers that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers just reached 2-0 in lifetime Super Bowls because their defense managed to spend their last three games shutting down Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and, in Sunday’s 31-9 Super Bowl LV victory, Patrick Mahomes. Clearly, they became unstoppable once they survived Taylor Heinicke.

Brees wound up 19 for 34 for 134 yards with three interceptions and a toothless second half. Rodgers went 33 for 48 for 346 but got sacked five times and found Tampa Bay too thorny when Green Bay had chances. Mahomes reached halftime Sunday night at 9 for 19 for 67 yards.

Those numbers just looked bad-dream wrong.

By the end, they stood at 26 for 49 for 270 yards. Even Mahomes’s improvisational theater came to suggest desperation more than imagination. Kansas City didn’t get any touchdowns. Kansas City didn’t get any touchdowns. Repeat it enough, and you might coax yourself into believing it.

“Yeah, I can’t give them enough credit,” head coach Bruce Arians said after Super Bowl LV, having said beforehand, “We’ve been winning with defense.” So while the 2020-21 Bucs finished sixth in the league in total defense where those 2002-03 Bucs had finished first, the former does have one edge. It overcame three greats where the old guys solved some very-goods: Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb and Rich Gannon.

“While the guys up front hunted, the guys in the back covered, so we worked hand-in-hand tonight,” said defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, having himself one doozy of a winter. The collaboration included some world-class “pushing the pocket” from one 34-year-old Ndamukong Suh, the lineman who got a first Super Bowl title in an 11th NFL season with a fourth NFL club.

“Especially when you’re struggling and playing a really good defense,” Mahomes said, “it’s hard to get drives going and get in the end zone.”

Hints of the red tide came in Week 12 when the two teams met. The Chiefs looked like the Chiefs in surging to a quick 17-0 lead, but the Bucs figured out some things and drew within 27-24 by the end. While conscientious sorts ought to remember that Kansas City lost left tackle Eric Fisher in the AFC championship game, and left tackles do matter deeply in American life, the Tampa Bay defense still seemed to gather excellence as the postseason went along. By the time it lined up opposite Kansas City again, it had become about as much of a beast as modern times will let a defense become.

The NFL’s state-of-the-art offense wound up with its ideas looking spent and its space looking scarce. Its big show had been ground into granular plays. “Just keep them in front of us,” Arians said, “and tackle real well.”

Bowles managed to direct pressure on 57 percent of Mahomes’s drop-backs in the first half, according to ESPN. Barrett and David kept turning up in ideal places at pivotal moments. White was marvelous again in his first postseason and second year in the league, with 12 tackles, eight solo tackles and a fitting, closing interception in the end zone. A secondary of a rookie, two second-year players and two third-year players seemed to keep getting older and wiser, all for a team that bolted from 7-5 to a closing 15-5.

“I love playing for Coach Bowles, man,” second-year cornerback Murphy-Bunting said. “I love it so much. I really do.” He referred to Bowles as “a mastermind.”

“The biggest thing,” Bowles said, “was trying to take away the first read.” Then the chases were on, and the chases were many.

“Listen, Todd had a good plan,” Kansas City Coach Andy Reid said, “but like I said, I could have done a whole lot better putting the guys in position to make better plays.”

Last Super Bowl, the Chiefs reached the seven-minute mark of the fourth quarter down 20-10 but still rich in realistic hope against a defense that had just about solved them. This Super Bowl, the Chiefs reached that mark down 31-9 and obviously done against a defense that already had solved them.

“You could honestly feel it with the change and the growth in the locker room,” said Barrett, “and that’s why we’re leaving with the Lombardi Trophy.”

Overjoyed. 

I'm pretty positive most knew it was a huge advantage, especially if they watched the playoffs from the start. The surprise comes from Reid and Bieniemy not game planning around it at all it seemed. They left their hobbled QB to fend for himself, which was a head scratcher. Overwhelmingly outcoached by Arians and staff on all levels.

Letdown of a game. Yeah refs got way too involved and it hurt the Chiefs in the first half, but the Chiefs had amole chances to make a comeback statement and did nothing. Can’t win football games if your QB is running the wrong way all night.

Surprised that KC could do nothing on defense  TB did whatever it wanted. Couple that with a dominating defensive effort and this was a blowout that wasn’t even as close as the score indicated. Yawner 

Leftwich will make a good head coach someday. Pretty sure his playing career started/ended while Brady was playing. 
You're absolutely correct. 2003-2012. Love your avatar, by the way. Wearing an American Beauty 50th anniversary shirt right now. Stonewashed, of course.

The Chiefs went with a 5 man protection on 92% of their offensive snaps last night. That’s the 3rd highest rate for any team since 2016 according to Next Gen Stats. With their O-Line injuries, that seems like it was a huge mistake and shocking that they never made an adjustment to give those guys help.

The Chiefs went with a 5 man protection on 92% of their offensive snaps last night. That’s the 3rd highest rate for any team since 2016 according to Next Gen Stats. With their O-Line injuries, that seems like it was a huge mistake and shocking that they never made an adjustment to give those guys help.
Their tight ends aren't exactly blockers. Kelce and Ricky Seals-Jones aren't. There's another guy I don't know who might be able to block. It probably didn't really fit their personnel. Which running back played that is good in pass pro? Not many of them. Bell maybe. But CEH and Darrel and Darwin? No.

So maybe it was that they didn't really have anybody, or that leaving Kelce into block doomed them anyway.

Congrats to you and all of the TB fans on here. Loved the beat down laid on Reid, Mahomes and Hill!

Yeah, this was tough to take. Reid made a lot of colossal mistakes in the game and leading up to the game. 

But, the Bucs just whipped them fair and square. Some things I wish the Chiefs would have done:

1. Get to Tampa earlier. Flying in the afternoon before was a huge mistake in my opinion. I can understand not being there the whole week, but they should have come in a few days early to get acclimated, allow the players to feel the excitement of Super Bowl week, etc. It's like they made the Super Bowl but didn't let the players soak up the excitement of that accomplishment. 

2. Help the O-line. Just an awful game plan by Reid.

3. Hey Reid - don't take timeouts at the end of the first half. Just pointless there. You were getting your ### kicked - just try and get to the locker room down 14-6. But no, stop the clock TWICE for the Bucs.  Maddening.

Reid clearly did not have his A game, and to me the mental stuff is what sucks the most. The Chiefs did not put up a fight at all, but to the Bucs credit they pounced on it and didn't allow them an inch. 

On a side note, I am massively disappointed on how CBS handled the Britt Reid story. And there was hardly a mention of that poor girl fighting for her life and the family that is dealing with the aftermath.  Britt Reid deserves every bit of anger coming his way if he indeed was impaired (which I believe he was and news accounts seem to indicate that). I watched a lot of coverage yesterday and can't recall any of the announcers calling him out or acting outraged or anything about that. Shameful, in my opinion.

Congrats to the Bucs and their fans - that is one hell of a team. They deserved that win - I just had higher expectations that the Chiefs would come in better prepared. 

Where’s the quick passes to account for the o-line injuries? Maybe all those teams passing on Bienemy weren’t crazy
I was thinking the same thing.  Was starting to feel bad for him as it was not a good audition for his future.  I did hear on some sport talk show that his interviews were underwhelming.  That makes sense if every team passed on him. Bienemy yakking it up during the NA was not a good look either.

Leftwich looks more the part of a future HC than Bienemy.

I was thinking the same thing.  Was starting to feel bad for him as it was not a good audition for his future.  I did hear on some sport talk show that his interviews were underwhelming.  That makes sense if every team passed on him.
Yeah, I would like to hear the true story on this vs the prevailing story that he isn't getting a head coaching job because of the color of his skin.

Clearly he is not interviewing well, or doesn't have a solid plan, or assistants lined up......or something. But to me, the media is being really lazy here and not digging into the truth.

If he was qualified and interviewing well, he would have had a job. Something he is doing isn't working.

Yeah, this was tough to take. Reid made a lot of colossal mistakes in the game and leading up to the game. 

But, the Bucs just whipped them fair and square. Some things I wish the Chiefs would have done:

1. Get to Tampa earlier. Flying in the afternoon before was a huge mistake in my opinion. I can understand not being there the whole week, but they should have come in a few days early to get acclimated, allow the players to feel the excitement of Super Bowl week, etc. It's like they made the Super Bowl but didn't let the players soak up the excitement of that accomplishment. 

2. Help the O-line. Just an awful game plan by Reid.

3. Hey Reid - don't take timeouts at the end of the first half. Just pointless there. You were getting your ### kicked - just try and get to the locker room down 14-6. But no, stop the clock TWICE for the Bucs.  Maddening.

Reid clearly did not have his A game, and to me the mental stuff is what sucks the most. The Chiefs did not put up a fight at all, but to the Bucs credit they pounced on it and didn't allow them an inch. 

On a side note, I am massively disappointed on how CBS handled the Britt Reid story. And there was hardly a mention of that poor girl fighting for her life and the family that is dealing with the aftermath.  Britt Reid deserves every bit of anger coming his way if he indeed was impaired (which I believe he was and news accounts seem to indicate that). I watched a lot of coverage yesterday and can't recall any of the announcers calling him out or acting outraged or anything about that. Shameful, in my opinion.

Congrats to the Bucs and their fans - that is one hell of a team. They deserved that win - I just had higher expectations that the Chiefs would come in better prepared. 
Totally agree with you on #1. The players were just as safe in a Tampa hotel as they were in KC. Ridiculous to not let them be around the super bowl all week. 

I posted about this possibility here when the news first broke. Given the family history with Reid, it was inevitable that this situation was going to be a big distraction for him. So I'm not really surprised they had the much weaker game plan tonight. It's a horrible situation and I hope they throw the book at Britt Reid, but I/m guessing Andy was preoccupied tonight.
I did see Andy address this after the game and he said most of the game planning was put in place already, which I assumed, but still does not account for lack of in-game adjustment.

I hate to pile on Andy, and this is absolutely not a great look for Beinemy either, but read some Next Gen Stats after the game which had me concluding this was one of the worst coached Super Bowls ever on the Chiefs side. Not that the NGS were anything eye opening, it just confirmed that the Tampa gameplan was basically what everyone but apparently the Chiefs thought it would be.

They played two high safety shells 87% of the time, a 5 year high for a Todd Bowles defense. I think most assumed they'd try to do this to slow down Hill. They heavily defended the sidelines trying to force throws over the middle. Some people were unsure if Tampa would blitz a lot due to Chiefs OL but they did not need to put a ton of pressure on the Chiefs and why is that? This one mystifies me the most. The Chiefs, a team with a patchwork OL used 5 man protections on 92% of their plays, that's the third highest rate in a game since 2016 when NGS started tracking it. This means they did not help their OT's in a game they were dominated.

Everything the way Tampa defended them called for Mahomes to heavily focus on shorter underneath throws over the middle. The fact that KC only had 5 players in protection should have afforded them plenty of outlets. Tampa's plan was basically to concede the shorter passes and have their safeties run downhill quickly.  Instead Mahomes, and this is hard to believe, back pedaled and scrambled for a whopping 496 yards yesterday. He never should have been holding onto the ball that long.

I’m an Andy Reid fan, but he did a terrible job in this game. I get that losing Fisher was brutal, but his game plan seemed like he thought it wouldn’t matter. And he made no adjustments. The timeouts near the end of the first half were so dumb (I was yelling that at that TV, lol). 

Brady will be the story, and for obvious reasons, but that Tampa D won the game. That was a dominant performance against what many consider one of the best offenses ever assembled. 

I’m an Andy Reid fan, but he did a terrible job in this game. I get that losing Fisher was brutal, but his game plan seemed like he thought it wouldn’t matter. And he made no adjustments. The timeouts near the end of the first half were so dumb (I was yelling that at that TV, lol). 

Brady will be the story, and for obvious reasons, but that Tampa D won the game. That was a dominant performance against what many consider one of the best offenses ever assembled. 

Yep.  I will never understand Reid calling timeouts near the end of the half.  The Tampa D should have shared the MVP.

It doesn't matter how good your QB is or how good your WR/TE are, the NFL game is always played (and won/lost) up front.  And Tampa destroyed KC in the trenches.  You can beat pretty much any NFL QB if you can get consistent pressure from just your front 4.  And TB did that, and it's amazing that Mahomes scrambled for about 4 football fields.  Not only TB got pressure, they were disciplined and didn't get Mahomes get clean rollouts from the pocket.  They made him go backwards and out of the pocket.

Tampa also had a much better balance, Fournette and Jones had 150 yds rushing between them.  So Tampa pretty much followed the old school method for winning football.....running the ball and playing great D.

Having the day off after your team wins the Superbowl- Priceless
I blocked my morning off from meetings just in case...quick trip to the mall now for lunch and to experience the fever, about 50 people in line at DSG for champ gear. Lots of people wearing Bucs, flying flags, etc. Beautiful day!

One good thing about the 17 game schedule is that it will hopefully push the SB back a week which would be ideal as it would push the Monday after the Super Bowl to presidents day.

For the first time in my life I was pulling for Tom Brady.  Nice story.
I get it.  It felt weird rooting for him after hating the guy after all these years.  Who am I trying to kid?   I still hate him but just less than the Chiefs. 

Tankathon has KC picking an OT with their first pick at 1.31. Hopefully Fisher will return from his achilles injury, but will he be the same?

I think that the odds catch up and even out in the long run.  I think that Atlanta and Seattle were colossal failures on the coaching end of their respective teams, and that the Giants had Coughlin and Spagnuolo for at least the first SB win, and Coughlin coaching along the way for the second SB win.

I think it's about fair that he's 7-3.
Exactly. It's just that only one player in NFL history has ever achieved a meaningful sample size

One of the major takes that I took from this game...

Tom Brady is much better at calling offensive plays than Josh McDaniels (NEP OC).

At one point last night, 3rd down as I recall, Brady looked to the sidelines, held up his hand slightly in a "wait" gesture, and mouthed "I got this". He huddled called the play from his wristband ... and executed to the tune of a first down. Would never, ever see him call off the play coming in when he was in NE.

:lmao:  I'm sure someone's already posted the call but worth posting even so :lmao:  

https://twitter.com/NOTSportsCenter/status/1358614082585321472

Really unnecessary late hit by security.

GB Kevin Harlan

Edit: Can't stop laughing at the 2 security in white......acting like they're players living out a dream  :lmao:  All the while the streaker had already given himself up.
Harlan has some great play by play calls over the years. My favorites are his LeBron dunk over Garnett - no regard for human life and Simultaneous call of the KC game and end of Miami-NE game in 2019"I calling both games!"

Users who are viewing this thread