What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lasik surgery recovery and driving (1 Viewer)

WDIK2

Footballguy
I thought we had a Lasik thread but I couldn't find it.  May have been Lasik discussion in other eyesight/glasses threads.

I'm going to get Lasik this year, but have a potential travel logistics issue.  I'm a single guy with no current SO.  The Lasik procedure would take place about an hour away from home (Omaha), but I work in Omaha.  Nearest family members are also an hour away from Omaha.  I know you cannot drive right after Lasik, so here are my thoughts/options.  I've been reading there is a next day follow-up visit needed also.

-Get a hotel room for a couple days near where the procedure would take place.  Hotel discounts available through work.  Can you use the Uber app shortly after Lasik?  Is it safe to be alone immediately after?  Not sure if the Lasik place will help with travel arrangements.  (calling a cab, etc.)

-Have a coworker/friend take me to and from the Lasik location.  I would still probably want to stay in a hotel if it is safe.  They wouldn't have a problem doing it, but I hate to be a burden on them especially if they would need to drive me to the follow up visit.

-Have a family member drive me to Omaha.  The most likely candidate that has the time would be my mom. :mellow:   She could take me directly home (an hour away), but then there is still the follow up visit issue.  She wouldn't have a problem driving me back to that but again, I don't like being a burden.

Ideally I would want to schedule the procedure for a Thursday or Friday.

Any thoughts from those that have had the procedure done, or others?

Yeah - no way you can drive after.  My eyes were really funky right after and very blurry.  Any of these will do, the biggest item, IMO, is to make darn sure that you keep the eye patches on overnight so you don't scratch your eyes in your sleep.  Given you will essentially be blind for a day/night it might be nice to have someone around to make sure you're ok.

I woke up the next morning with near 20/20 vision.  I had night halos for a while, but they subsided and I could drive no problem.

Follow up visit is important, when I went back for my follow up the next day they had to redo my left eye.

ask your mom to do some driving.

Yeah - no way you can drive after.  My eyes were really funky right after and very blurry.  Any of these will do, the biggest item, IMO, is to make darn sure that you keep the eye patches on overnight so you don't scratch your eyes in your sleep.  Given you will essentially be blind for a day/night it might be nice to have someone around to make sure you're ok.

I woke up the next morning with near 20/20 vision.  I had night halos for a while, but they subsided and I could drive no problem.
I thought I saw somewhere that they have these clear plastic shields now to prevent you from scratching your eyes, but I'm sure that depends on the place you get it done.

ETA:  I can see being alone could be an issue if you're basically blind for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had it done a little over a year and a half ago.  Was going to go the same route as you, but convinced my girlfriend to take off work just in case.  Really glad I did.  You honestly will not want to open your eyes for at least the rest of the day after that.  Even ordering a pizza to the hotel room will be difficult for you.  If you could convince your mother or a friend to come stay with you, you will not regret it.

Also, they have a follow up the next day and usually a week after.  I had mine done on Thursday and was able to get them to do the second follow up on Monday.  You won't be able to work for about 3-4 days after the surgery anyway, so definitely go this route as it will mean the least amount of missed work days.  I was able to drive myself to the second follow up 4 days later, but some people may not recover that quickly, so YMMV.

I was fine other than the drugs they give you to relax you for the procedure.  My sight was basically  perfect as soon as I sat up from the 2 minute procedure.  I would have had no problems seeing for driving but the meds were a different issue.  I went home took a nap (as directed) and woke up after about an hour and my eyes stung like they had been scratched.  Went back to sleep and woke up an hour or two later and all was well.  Sight was great.  Went back the next day for the checkup and all was perfect.

Just as added info, I had this done about 2000-ish and it was the best thing I have ever spent money on.  I am at the point now where I probably need a touch up (and probably reading glasses because I am getting old - which is what they had told me as something to expect).  

I had it done a little over a year and a half ago.  Was going to go the same route as you, but convinced my girlfriend to take off work just in case.  Really glad I did.  You honestly will not want to open your eyes for at least the rest of the day after that.  Even ordering a pizza to the hotel room will be difficult for you.  If you could convince your mother or a friend to come stay with you, you will not regret it.

Also, they have a follow up the next day and usually a week after.  I had mine done on Thursday and was able to get them to do the second follow up on Monday.  You won't be able to work for about 3-4 days after the surgery anyway, so definitely go this route as it will mean the least amount of missed work days.  I was able to drive myself to the second follow up 4 days later, but some people may not recover that quickly, so YMMV.
Well damn.  I need to find a girlfriend before I do this.  :kicksrock:    How do you think, "needs someone to drive them to and from Lasik appointments" sounds on an online dating profile?  :lmao:  

I do have a retired buddy that might be willing to drive me I guess.  I used to stay at this place all the time, so that wouldn't be anything new.  Would cost me quite a bit of beer though.  Probably worth it.

I had mine done a little over a decade ago. Wife drove me home from the appt that afternoon, but I woke up the next morning and drove to work no problem. 20/15 at that point.

all these responses sound like 24 hours of blind terror after the procedure
I wasn't blind after the procedure.  I was VERY VERY light sensitive.  When I got home I laid in a dark room for a number of hours.  After that things improved rapidly.  I'm sure experiences vary but I felt like mine was pretty mild. 

I was able to drive fine the next day.  I actually drove that night just b/c i like to do stupid stuff.   So either just uber home (lasik place should be able to help you set this up if needed) or have your momma drive you.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I saw somewhere that they have these clear plastic shields now to prevent you from scratching your eyes, but I'm sure that depends on the place you get it done.

ETA:  I can see being alone could be an issue if you're basically blind for a while.
Yep - had the plastic shields, but you want to make sure they don't come off, etc.  The worst thing that can generally happen is you damage things after the surgery or get it infected.  So having someone there to help you make sure the shields are secure, stay on, etc. would be great.

all these responses sound like 24 hours of blind terror after the procedure
For me it was ~16 hours of blurry vision, bad night of sleep, etc.  Then I woke up the next morning and could see my alarm clock crystal clear.  That was awesome.  I had some dry eye and my eyes were pretty light sensitive the next day, etc., but was able to drive and do normal stuff starting that next morning.

I still say that the money I spent on Lasik was the best money I've ever spent.  The quality of life improvement is just massive.

Derailing question - anyone had it done recently that has astigmatisms? Back when I looked into it, probably 20 years ago, it seems that it wasn't possible or suggested.

Derailing question - anyone had it done recently that has astigmatisms? Back when I looked into it, probably 20 years ago, it seems that it wasn't possible or suggested.
They did mine with astigmatism.  The technology changed about 10 years ago.  My astigmatism was fairly minor, but with the mapping they can do I know they can handle at least some astigmatism in the process.

I thought we had a Lasik thread but I couldn't find it.  May have been Lasik discussion in other eyesight/glasses threads.

I'm going to get Lasik this year, but have a potential travel logistics issue.  I'm a single guy with no current SO.  The Lasik procedure would take place about an hour away from home (Omaha), but I work in Omaha.  Nearest family members are also an hour away from Omaha.  I know you cannot drive right after Lasik, so here are my thoughts/options.  I've been reading there is a next day follow-up visit needed also.

-Get a hotel room for a couple days near where the procedure would take place.  Hotel discounts available through work.  Can you use the Uber app shortly after Lasik?  Is it safe to be alone immediately after?  Not sure if the Lasik place will help with travel arrangements.  (calling a cab, etc.)

-Have a coworker/friend take me to and from the Lasik location.  I would still probably want to stay in a hotel if it is safe.  They wouldn't have a problem doing it, but I hate to be a burden on them especially if they would need to drive me to the follow up visit.

-Have a family member drive me to Omaha.  The most likely candidate that has the time would be my mom. :mellow:   She could take me directly home (an hour away), but then there is still the follow up visit issue.  She wouldn't have a problem driving me back to that but again, I don't like being a burden.

Ideally I would want to schedule the procedure for a Thursday or Friday.

Any thoughts from those that have had the procedure done, or others?
Had this done yesterday and the place I went to almost always does it on a Friday with a post-op appointment on the following Monday.  You will definitely need someone to drive you afterwards and it's a good idea to keep the weekend free for mostly rest/recovering.  You will be safe being alone after the procedure.  The eye drops that you have to use 3-4 times a day do burn/sting a little and although it's helpful to have a SO put them in for you while laying down, it's definitely something you can do yourself.

I think your first idea of booking a hotel for the weekend and Ubering there is the best.  But also check with the eye doctor.  A lot of them have their own shuttle services (mine did but I didn't use it).

Had this done yesterday and the place I went to almost always does it on a Friday with a post-op appointment on the following Monday.  You will definitely need someone to drive you afterwards and it's a good idea to keep the weekend free for mostly rest/recovering.  You will be safe being alone after the procedure.  The eye drops that you have to use 3-4 times a day do burn/sting a little and although it's helpful to have a SO put them in for you while laying down, it's definitely something you can do yourself.

I think your first idea of booking a hotel for the weekend and Ubering there is the best.  But also check with the eye doctor.  A lot of them have their own shuttle services (mine did but I didn't use it).
Thank you.  I still haven't scheduled the procedure.  I've been waiting for "just the right time" for a couple years now.  I need to just do it.  Let us know how the recovery goes.

Users who are viewing this thread