What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things we know about heaven (1 Viewer)

Everyone does things wrong, eventually most moral people come to realize what they did and how it hurt other people or themselves in ways they didn't realize, and people who refuse to accept that there are truths greater than themselves will die with regret while people who accept the teachings of the people who went through this before will experience peace in death. 

Trying to find the old Steve Martin bit from Let's Get Small.

"In college they told me this was all bull###."

My dad got that record and played it over and over for months. We laughed like idiots to the same jokes every time.

It’s apparently going to be very crowded.  Every time someone dies, you hear, “Well, they are in a better place now”.

Nobody ever says “Yeah, I don’t think he was in the top 50%”

Check out Surviving Death on Netflix. Especially the first episode that focuses on near death experiences.

The fulfillment of our purpose in life.  No more fruitless struggle or suffering.  All the good parts of relationships with none of the drawbacks.  Love and unity like we long for here but just can't achieve and in a timeless setting.

Glory, beauty, music, joy, laughter, community, etc., but beyond what we can actually fathom now.

Oh once in your life you find someone
Who will turn your world around
Bring you up when you're feelin' down
Yeah nothin' can change what you mean to me
Oh there's lots that I could say
But just hold me now
'Cause our love will light the way

I can only imagine (great Mercy Me song).

Surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel,

Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of you be still.

Will I stand in your presence, to my knees will I fall,

Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all.

--

And speaking of knocking on heaven's door, I've heard the analogy of there being a door to heaven.  As you arrive, you see above the door, "All who will, may enter." Upon entering, and turning around with immediate hindsight, you see above the door, "I have chosen you."  #Calvinisttheology

St. Peter's at the pearly gates waiting for us all.  
And he gives tours!  Passing one room with many candles lit and chants being lifted up, Peter says, 'those are the Catholics.'  Passing another room with raucous clapping and singing, Peter smiles and says, 'those are the Baptists.'  As you approach a third room, Peter cautions to keep quiet as you tiptoe by. After passing, Peter explains quietly, 'that's the Lutherans* ...they think they're the only ones here.'

* - insert any religion that you want to joke about.

i have an Irish auntie, 90 now, who has lived her whole life for Heaven. she is honestly of the very Celtic/Catholic belief that the more she suffers in this world, the greater her reward in heaven, so she more or less designed her mortal life for suffering. married the scuzziest rakehell member of Jamaica Plain's slimiiest family (and the Brinks Job was done by JPers, so the bar's high) - one of em opened my skull with a squeegee mop when i was 10 for helping a girl he liked after her father whupped her - took his binges and beatings, raised his kids to his lofty standards with no income when he was mostly in stir, all but one became junkies (i got monthly 2-hr begging calls from one - for some reason he never bothered my millionaire director cousin - til his liver exploded a decade ago) and i once saw that one slap her mother for an extravagance because it was "spending her inheritance", their kid's grew as poorly and treat her as badly, arguing over invalid care for her & such (they've already got her house in a trust for themselves).

i still see Aunt Winnie occasionally cuz my sis is very close with her and she's as she's ever been - cheery, lilting dum-te-dum-te-dum Irish lady. still got that benighted look that is the spiritual equilvalent of Jean Valjean being driven by the justice in his eyes. "Boy, is this gonna set me up when i get to the Pearly Gates!". i STILL dont know whether i want heaven to have a VIP room or not...

“You know, sometimes in life, it seems like there’s no way out.  Like a sheep, trapped in a maze, designed by wolves.  You know that, if you’re ever in that situation, there are always two doors to choose from.  Through the first door, oh it’s easy to get through that door, and on the other side waiting for you, all the yummiest treats you could imagine:  Fanta, Doritos, L&P, Burger Rings, Coke Zero…but you know what, there’s also another door.  Not the Burger Ring door, not the Fanta door. Another door that’s harder to get through.  Guess what’s on the other side? Anyone want to take a guess?”

“Vegetables?” says Ricky uncertainly.

“No, not vegetables, no,” the minister replies, slightly offended.

“Jesus?” someone else offers.

“You would think Jesus.  I thought Jesus the first time I come across that door. Not Jesus.  It’s another door.  Guess what’s on the other side of that door.”

“Jesus,” the voice comes again, more confidently.

“Jesus, yeah, Jesus.  He’s tricky like that, Jesus.  So let us pray, to Jesus to please make it a bit easier to get through those doors, to find you and your bounty of…delicious confectionery.”

lakerstan said:
It’s apparently going to be very crowded.  Every time someone dies, you hear, “Well, they are in a better place now”.

Nobody ever says “Yeah, I don’t think he was in the top 50%”
Wait, only 50% of people get in?  Is that kind of like I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you?

Wait, only 50% of people get in?  Is that kind of like I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you?
They may follow the GE 20-70-10 method of performance reviews, so if you want a suite rather than 2 queen-sized beds, you need to repent REALLY hard.

Northern Voice said:
Oh once in your life you find someone
Who will turn your world around
Bring you up when you're feelin' down
Yeah nothin' can change what you mean to me
Oh there's lots that I could say
But just hold me now
'Cause our love will light the way
In addition to the lyrics, we know that Bryan Adams wrote Heaven with Jim Vallance and that Adam’s recorded the song in 1983.  The song originally appeared on the soundtrack album to A Night in Heaven before being included on Reckless in 1984. Heaven was Adams’ third single off of Reckless and the song reached number one on the US Hit 100 in June of 1985. 

So, we actually know quite a lot about Heaven. 

Users who are viewing this thread