What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 RB Spots That Are "Settled" (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Let's suss out the individual RB situations, team-by-team, and figure out who needs running backs and what the RB situations are otherwise.

Let's start with teams. I'll go by division by division, starting with the AFC East, but post this for anyone who wants to chime in.

AFC East

Buffalo Bills - McDermott just came out and said they needed to run the ball better next year. Moss didn't impress tremendously, Singletary has workout metrics that defy success. He's small and slow. Looks like they're in the market

Miami Dolphins - Miles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed and Matt Breida are all similar backs. Breida is on a one-year deal, Ahmed and Gaskin are both UDFAs. Miami almost backed up cold, hard cash for Le'Veon Bell. They're in the market.

New England Patriots - They've got Harris, Michel, Burkhead (torn ACL), and James White. I am unsure about White's contract. It looks like Harris and Michel are the guys there. What this means for drafting another? I'm unsure. Harris looked to be running away with the job, got hurt, and then Michel outperformed his advanced metrics.

New York Jets - Frank Gore was there this year. Otherwise, it was La'Mical Perine and Ty Johnson and Josh Adams? Who are they? Glad you asked. I think Perine was a fourth or fifth round rookie this year. The others are young and traveled (not something to be). They're certainly in the market given the coaching change and emphasis on bringing the 49ers run game with them. Definitely a candidate.

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers -- James Conner is a free agent. Snell and MacFarland are there as mid-round picks. Steelers Tomlin says he wants an "every down" back and prefers it that way. One would think they're in the market for one.

Baltimore Ravens - Ingram is likely on his last legs, Edwards is a RFA, and Dobbins and Hill are left, both with decent draft capital. Baltimore is probably set in their backfield other than for depth.

Cleveland Browns - Chubb and Hunt. Chubb is signed through 2021 and is a UFA in 2022, I think. Hunt is signed for the next two years. This seems settled

Cincinnati Bengals - Just signed Mixon to a multi-year extension. Bernard is signed through 2021 and Perine's status is something I don't know. I wouldn't guess he's locked down at anything but a team-friendly deal. They seem set at their focal point of RB, though, which is Mixon and Bernard.

AFC South

Tennessee Titans - Derrick Henry is signed through 2022 (?), and Darrynton Evans was his backup and passing down back before he got hurt. Both are under contract here.

Indianapolis Colts - Hines and Taylor are both signed. Not much to see here. Wilkins is around, etc.

Houston Texans - David Johnson and Duke Johnson are both there, though I'm not sure of Duke's status. Unless they cut David, for sure they're going with older backs given all their other problems. Well, nothing is sure with the Texans.

Jacksonville Jaguars - They have James Robinson under contract but a new coach in Urban Meyer. Regardless of whether Meyer decides to go with Robinson as his guy, they'll need a 1B. They gave Robinson 95% of the backfield touches. No wonder he was hurt in Week 14-rest of season.

AFC West

LA Chargers - Ekeler and Kelley and Ballage. Probably set.

LV Raiders - Jacobs and Booker. Probably set.

Denver Broncos - Lindsay is a free agent. Gordon is signed through next year. Royce Freeman is still there, too. Denver is probably not looking for help here.

KC Chiefs - Clyde Edwards-Helaire brings his first-round draft capital back, as do potentially Damien Williams and Darrel Willimas and Darwin Thompson. Reid hasn't invested much in RBs, when it comes down to it, so his first-round pick of Edwards-Helaire was striking. Not in the market, one would assume

NFC East

NY Giants - Saquon and Gallman. Largely settled.

Dallas Cowboys - Zeke's out doesn't happen until after next year. Pollard is there, as is Dowdle. Set.

Philadelphia Eagles - Sanders and Scott and others. Likely settled.

Washington Redskins - Gibson and McKissic and Barber. Also likely settled. Look for WR help there.

NFC North

Minnesota Vikings - Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison and Mike Boone. Settled through 2023, really.

Green Bay Packers - A. Jones and J. Williams are both free agents. AJ Dillon looks for carries. They're unsettled, but with AJ as the heir apparent. They also like to run 1A and 1B, so if Jones and Williams leave, look for them to sign another.

Chicago Bears - David Montgomery, Cordarrelle Patterson, Tarik Cohen. Likely set.

Detroit Lions - D'Andre Swift has second round draft capital. Kerryon Johnson might still be there. Likely not looking to improve here, but who knows with a new regime.

NFC South

NO Saints - Kamara and Murray are there, both through at least 2023. Set.

TB Buccaneers - Fournette is a free agent. RoJo is there. Likely they'll need help, but not a marquee guy.

Carolina - CMac and Davis. Set.

Atlanta - Gurley got benched, Ito Smith and Brian Hill are not the answers. Very open with Art Smith taking over.

NFC West

LA Rams - Akers and Henderson and Brown is a UFA. But they're set.

SF 49ers - Mostert and Wilson are signed through next year now. They might add depth or draft an alpha. Nobody knows with Shanahan. It's Shanahanigans all over again!

Arizona Cardinals - Drake was on the transition tag. We'll see what they do with him there. Edmonds is 1B and is signed through at least this year. Definitely a candidate given Drake's early problems running between the tackles.

Seattle Seahawks - Carson is a FA. Penny is back. Carlos Hyde was on a one-year deal. Definitely market players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami will draft a RB to pair with Gaskin. If it's Etienne, Gaskin will get few opportunities by the end of the season. 

NYJ will draft their RB of the future with one of their 10 draft picks.

NE has no 3rd round pick. They won't use a 1st or 2nd. I think they go with what Michel and Harris and resign White to a cheap deal, or get a free agent receiving back.

Buffalo goes with Moss and Singletary as 1a and 1b.

James Conner is a FA. Think he lands somewhere as a cheaper option like maybe a Houston who is short on picks and cap space. Aaron Jones will command top dollar, NYJ and MIA have the 2nd and 7th most cap space and the need, seems like a possibility he ends up at one of those although there are a few other teams that might prefer an upgrade.

By my estimation, settled with reservations in parenthesis.

New England Patriots (actually a lot of draft capital, not correspondent with usage)
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals
Tennessee Titans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars (a touch of coach uncertainty)
Houston Texans (aging backfield)
LA Chargers
KC Chiefs (between the tackles?)
LV Raiders
Denver Broncos (depth or re-sign Lindsay)
NY Giants (health of Barkley)
Dallas Cowboys
Philadelphia Eagles
New Orleans Saints
Carolina Panthers
Tampa Bay (uncertain)
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions (might need depth)
San Francisco (do you know?)
LA Rams

For RB (and if we carry over to WR, given the FAs there), a bit harder to say much is fully "settled". Still, if we call that having their bellcow or (more likely) their top two RBs nailed down for 2021, things clear up a lot.

Looking good: Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Indy, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Minnesota, NY Giants, Tennessee

Could stand pat: Buffalo, Cincy, Denver, Detroit, Jacksonville, LA Chargers, LA Rams, Miami, New Orleans, Philly, San Fran, Tampa, Washington

Probably asking for too little change, since that's 24/32 teams. For FA, there's Carson, Drake, maybe Gurley, and backfield pieces unless teams think Ingram can rebound. Then it's all about guessing where rookies land.

Miami will draft a RB to pair with Gaskin. If it's Etienne, Gaskin will get few opportunities by the end of the season. 

NYJ will draft their RB of the future with one of their 10 draft picks.

NE has no 3rd round pick. They won't use a 1st or 2nd. I think they go with what Michel and Harris and resign White to a cheap deal, or get a free agent receiving back.

Buffalo goes with Moss and Singletary as 1a and 1b.
The Pats are projected to have a 3rd round comp pick as well as two comps in the 4th...I would not be surprised to see White walk and go to a team closer to a title and JJ Taylor take over some of that role...if they are not sold on Taylor I could easily see them using a decent pick (or sign a veteran) on a RB as Michel is in the last year of his deal (I am assuming they do not pick up his fifth year).

Keep in mind the salary cap is coming down considerably, almost half the league is projected over at the moment. Could be some surprise cuts.

Houston is hard to say settled with a new GM and no coach yet. Houston is hurting for cap space and can’t cut some of BOB’s bad contracts until 2021 due to guaranteed salary. RB is one area they can shed $$: David Johnson is in his last year with $2.1M guaranteed of an $8.8M total. Duke Johnson is in his last year as well with zero guaranteed and a $5M cap hit. Seems likely at least one will be gone and the other as well unless restructured/pay cut.

James Conner is a FA. Think he lands somewhere as a cheaper option like maybe a Houston who is short on picks and cap space. Aaron Jones will command top dollar, NYJ and MIA have the 2nd and 7th most cap space and the need, seems like a possibility he ends up at one of those although there are a few other teams that might prefer an upgrade.
I think my take on that was really misleading. I said he's signed through the end of the year. He's not signed through 2021. I dealt him from my dynasty team precisely because he would be a free agent, and I don't see a big second contract from anybody. Maybe he gets a team-friendly year or two extension in Pittsburgh given how their season blew up and they never ran the ball. Maybe they'll rededicate to doing so? Maybe. Something to think about, anyway.

I think my take on that was really misleading. I said he's signed through the end of the year. He's not signed through 2021. I dealt him from my dynasty team precisely because he would be a free agent, and I don't see a big second contract from anybody. Maybe he gets a team-friendly year or two extension in Pittsburgh given how their season blew up and they never ran the ball. Maybe they'll rededicate to doing so? Maybe. Something to think about, anyway.
Yeah, I still have him in one league and have been completely unable to move him for a long time. At this point I am hoping someone takes a shot on him as I think he could still be a decent back when healthy and with a team that actually runs the ball which Pittsburgh stopped doing this past year.

The Pats are projected to have a 3rd round comp pick as well as two comps in the 4th...I would not be surprised to see White walk and go to a team closer to a title and JJ Taylor take over some of that role...if they are not sold on Taylor I could easily see them using a decent pick (or sign a veteran) on a RB as Michel is in the last year of his deal (I am assuming they do not pick up his fifth year).
I forgot about the comp picks. That makes me believe more strongly that Belichick offers #1.15 for Stafford to get competitive immediately. Stafford would make the offense and RB position better.

Good stuff, rock.

Despite a lot of teams seemingly needing RB help, I think most teams will go the rookie route and not pay up for free agents - with a possible few exceptions like Jones, Fournette and maybe Conner. Even they may get reasonable size deals like Gordon did. I see Carson re-upping with Seattle given Carroll’s re-dedication to the running game and probable unwillingness to hand the keys over to Penny.

Thanks for starting this thread @rockaction!

I think I'd consider NYG and Carolina as a little less than set. I believe both Gallman and Davis are UFAs, and as you noted Saquon's going to be an injury question well after the draft. Maybe both guys resign there and they end up settled before then. 

ETA- Oakland also drafted Lynn Bowden pretty early as a RB last season. Obviously that didn't work out, but they may be a clue that they are looking for a pass catching back, a la Kenneth Gainwell or Max Borghi. 

Thanks for starting this thread @rockaction!

I think I'd consider NYG and Carolina as a little less than set. I believe both Gallman and Davis are UFAs, and as you noted Saquon's going to be an injury question well after the draft. Maybe both guys resign there and they end up settled before then. 

ETA- Oakland also drafted Lynn Bowden pretty early as a RB last season. Obviously that didn't work out, but they may be a clue that they are looking for a pass catching back, a la Kenneth Gainwell or Max Borghi. 
Great insight about Gallman and Davis. That makes things a little different, especially for the Giants, who don't necessarily have a timetable yet about Barkley, or are mum about it. As far as Oakland goes, they were drafting Bowden to be a WR, at least that's what they said. Whether that would have stuck is another issue. And they signed Richard after 2019 for two years. I am not sure about Booker, though. Regardless, that's a really informative post.

As far as Oakland goes, they were drafting Bowden to be a WR, at least that's what they said.
Maybe I had that mixed up, I thought they said that they wanted Bowden as a receiving RB, and that was why he was listed as a RB all season despite Miami using him as a WR. 

I can't find anything to back that up though, so it's probably just my mind playing tricks!

Maybe I had that mixed up, I thought they said that they wanted Bowden as a receiving RB, and that was why he was listed as a RB all season despite Miami using him as a WR. 

I can't find anything to back that up though, so it's probably just my mind playing tricks!
From what I recall right after they cut Bowden is that they were actually looking at him as a possible Taysom Hill/Slash/Jack of all trades utility guy.

But when they realized he wasn't really a good passer they decided to move on from him.

From what I recall right after they cut Bowden is that they were actually looking at him as a possible Taysom Hill/Slash/Jack of all trades utility guy.

But when they realized he wasn't really a good passer they decided to move on from him.
No, I don't think it was his passing. I remember specifically the coaches coming out and saying he lacked explosiveness, which is odd for coachspeak. There were rumors he was already into Las Vegas nightlife. It was pretty unprecedented for them to sort of dump him in camp for a pick a round later the next year.

No, I don't think it was his passing. I remember specifically the coaches coming out and saying he lacked explosiveness, which is odd for coachspeak. There were rumors he was already into Las Vegas nightlife. It was pretty unprecedented for them to sort of dump him in camp for a pick a round later the next year.
Well maybe it wasn't his passing ability as the reason they let him go so soon after drafting him.

I just recall learning about they had some vision of him being that type of player for them when they drafted him. I think Mayock is who mentioned Tysom Hill when talking about why they drafted him.

Buffalo Bills - McDermott just came out and said they needed to run the ball better next year. Moss didn't impress tremendously, Singletary has workout metrics that defy success. He's small and slow. Looks like they're in the market
Chris Carson seems like a great fit in Buffalo

Houston won't be going with David Johnson unless he's playing for 2M. They'll go with a cheaper back.

Denver will bring in lightning to pair with Melvin's thunder.

Houston won't be going with David Johnson unless he's playing for 2M. They'll go with a cheaper back.

Denver will bring in lightning to pair with Melvin's thunder.
Astute. I was thinking something very similar to you about Johnson, but didn't have the time to delve into his contract details. No way he earns nine million next year.

Denver will likely add depth in the form of lightning, yes. But I'm not sure they're going to bring in somebody to replace Gordon, unless they're looking long-term at the position.

Ooooh, let's try this...

AFC East

Buffalo Bills - McDermott just came out and said they needed to run the ball better next year. Moss didn't impress tremendously, Singletary has workout metrics that defy success. He's small and slow. Looks like they're in the market. Rock is right. This team is in a window and will make a move accordingly. I expect either Aaron Jones or Chris Carson.

Miami Dolphins - Miles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed and Matt Breida are all similar backs. Breida is on a one-year deal, Ahmed and Gaskin are both UDFAs. Miami almost backed up cold, hard cash for Le'Veon Bell. They're in the market. They are but I think it will be in the draft. This team is not in a window yet and an analytically minded front office will act accordingly. If the cap weren't suppressed I could see them zagging, but it is and they are swimming in picks so I expect someone on day 2 - whether that's one of the top 3 or tier 2 we'll see.

New England Patriots - They've got Harris, Michel, Burkhead (torn ACL), and James White. I am unsure about White's contract. It looks like Harris and Michel are the guys there. What this means for drafting another? I'm unsure. Harris looked to be running away with the job, got hurt, and then Michel outperformed his advanced metrics. White is a 29 yo UFA. He could come back on a cheap deal if NE doesn't identify anyone else (Conner?) in March. I expect them to draft someone in the middle rounds they project to develop into a passing downs weapon.

New York Jets - Frank Gore was there this year. Otherwise, it was La'Mical Perine and Ty Johnson and Josh Adams? Who are they? Glad you asked. I think Perine was a fourth or fifth round rookie this year. The others are young and traveled (not something to be). They're certainly in the market given the coaching change and emphasis on bringing the 49ers run game with them. Definitely a candidate. I'm assuming they draft a QB #2. I think they're a prime candidate for picking Etienne, Williams, or Harris at pick #34.

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers -- James Conner is a free agent. Snell and MacFarland are there as mid-round picks. Steelers Tomlin says he wants an "every down" back and prefers it that way. One would think they're in the market for one. Steelers have no money and other priorities. Tomlin may want an every down guy, but I don't think he'll have one this season. Expect another mid round pick to push MacFarland.

Baltimore Ravens - Ingram is likely on his last legs, Edwards is a RFA, and Dobbins and Hill are left, both with decent draft capital. Baltimore is probably set in their backfield other than for depth. I expect Dobbins/Gus. I expect them to draft someone in the mid rounds to compete with Hill for RB3.

Cleveland Browns - Chubb and Hunt. Chubb is signed through 2021 and is a UFA in 2022, I think. Hunt is signed for the next two years. This seems settled It probably is, but I'm keeping my head swiveled about one of them ending up on the trade market. I'd rather it not happen, but I understand why it would. 

Cincinnati Bengals - Just signed Mixon to a multi-year extension. Bernard is signed through 2021 and Perine's status is something I don't know. I wouldn't guess he's locked down at anything but a team-friendly deal. They seem set at their focal point of RB, though, which is Mixon and Bernard. Perine is a UFA, if they don't bring him back expect something similar that also won't move the needle.

AFC South

Tennessee Titans - Derrick Henry is signed through 2022 (?), and Darrynton Evans was his backup and passing down back before he got hurt. Both are under contract here. Seems like an appropriate spot for a veteran like Ingram.

Indianapolis Colts - Hines and Taylor are both signed. Not much to see here. Wilkins is around, etc. Agreed

Houston Texans - David Johnson and Duke Johnson are both there, though I'm not sure of Duke's status. Unless they cut David, for sure they're going with older backs given all their other problems. Well, nothing is sure with the Texans. Some dialogue already out there and I'm mostly in alignment. Prepare for the unexpected, but the prudent move would be a cheap vet (whether it's DJ on a reduced contract or someone else) paired with Duke. So of course they'll give Kenyan Drake $40m gtd.

Jacksonville Jaguars - They have James Robinson under contract but a new coach in Urban Meyer. Regardless of whether Meyer decides to go with Robinson as his guy, they'll need a 1B. They gave Robinson 95% of the backfield touches. No wonder he was hurt in Week 14-rest of season. I'm the minority, but I saw enough this year to think Robinson should be the guy again in '21. Address the many other holes on the roster with the treasure trove of assets and back him up cheaply with a vet like Mike Davis.

AFC West

LA Chargers - Ekeler and Kelley and Ballage. Probably set. I don't agree. I think Kelley and Ballage can battle for RB3 and they need to upgrade RB2. I think Conner makes a ton of sense on this roster.

LV Raiders - Jacobs and Booker. Probably set. Booker is a UFA, but I think they bring him back.

Denver Broncos - Lindsay is a free agent. Gordon is signed through next year. Royce Freeman is still there, too. Denver is probably not looking for help here. I agree about inactivity in March, but I think they are a dark horse for a RB at the top of round 2. They're in a similar spot as Green Bay this time last year with nobody signed beyond this season.

KC Chiefs - Clyde Edwards-Helaire brings his first-round draft capital back, as do potentially Damien Williams and Darrel Willimas and Darwin Thompson. Reid hasn't invested much in RBs, when it comes down to it, so his first-round pick of Edwards-Helaire was striking. Not in the market, one would assume They have no money to fix this problem, so CEH-Damien-Darwin (Darrell is a UFA) is probably the plan. If/when Darrell isn't signed I'd expect them to bring him back at the minimum.

NFC East

NY Giants - Saquon and Gallman. Largely settled. I don't expect Saquon to be 100% week 1 and as discussed Gallman is a UFA. I think someone like L Murray after he's a cap casualty would be a good fit as a contingency plan.

Dallas Cowboys - Zeke's out doesn't happen until after next year. Pollard is there, as is Dowdle. Set. Agreed

Philadelphia Eagles - Sanders and Scott and others. Likely settled. They have major personnel and cap problems, so I agree.

Washington Redskins - Gibson and McKissic and Barber. Also likely settled. Look for WR help there. I'm not ready to quit Bryce Love, but he'd be the only threat to those 3.

NFC North

Minnesota Vikings - Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison and Mike Boone. Settled through 2023, really. Agreed.

Green Bay Packers - A. Jones and J. Williams are both free agents. AJ Dillon looks for carries. They're unsettled, but with AJ as the heir apparent. They also like to run 1A and 1B, so if Jones and Williams leave, look for them to sign another. I think Jones is out. Assuming the market is soft for Williams bringing him back as 1B makes sense.

Chicago Bears - David Montgomery, Cordarrelle Patterson, Tarik Cohen. Likely set. ...maybe. Patterson is a UFA and Cohen isn't really a RB. They should have other priorities, but this Bears group always seem to Costanza me and do the opposite. I'd prepare for a curveball, but I think the answer should be a mid round pick. 

Detroit Lions - D'Andre Swift has second round draft capital. Kerryon Johnson might still be there. Likely not looking to improve here, but who knows with a new regime. This team is a disaster and should not be playing for 2021. Keep the status quo.

NFC South

NO Saints - Kamara and Murray are there, both through at least 2023. Set. Murray is likely a cap casualty. They can't afford anyone in March, so expect a mid round pick in April. 

TB Buccaneers - Fournette is a free agent. RoJo is there. Likely they'll need help, but not a marquee guy. They still have Vaughn, but that may not mean anything. As a multi league RoJo owner my head will be on a swivel all offseason again. I hope for a Gallman type, but they could be after one of the top 3 in the draft with RoJo expiring at year's end. 

Carolina - CMac and Davis. Set. Davis is a UFA. It'd make sense to retain him, but I think he showed enough to get a shot with a team that presents a clearer path to PT. Then Carolina adds someone like 2020 Mike Davis...like maybe Malcolm Brown.

Atlanta - Gurley got benched, Ito Smith and Brian Hill are not the answers. Very open with Art Smith taking over. They don't have the cash to fix this problem in March, so it will be addressed in April. The operative question will be how early. Given the state of their roster it'd probably be best to bypass one at the top of round 2 for other priorities then target a tier 2 type in the pick 70-110 range. This team should be playing with 2022+ in mind, but will they?

NFC West

LA Rams - Akers and Henderson and Brown is a UFA. But they're set. Agreed.

SF 49ers - Mostert and Wilson are signed through next year now. They might add depth or draft an alpha. Nobody knows with Shanahan. It's Shanahanigans all over again! Bring back Breida at the minimum then add someone in April to compete with Hasty for continued Shenanigans.

Arizona Cardinals - Drake was on the transition tag. We'll see what they do with him there. Edmonds is 1B and is signed through at least this year. Definitely a candidate given Drake's early problems running between the tackles. If they don't retain Drake it will have a domino effect on everything written above. I think it makes sense for all parties to retain him and I think they will unless a dumb team like Houston backs up the brinks truck.

Seattle Seahawks - Carson is a FA. Penny is back. Carlos Hyde was on a one-year deal. Definitely market players. I think they're either retaining Carson or paying Aaron Jones. Their decision decides who goes to Buffalo.

New England Patriots - They've got Harris, Michel, Burkhead (torn ACL), and James White. I am unsure about White's contract. It looks like Harris and Michel are the guys there. What this means for drafting another? I'm unsure. Harris looked to be running away with the job, got hurt, and then Michel outperformed his advanced metrics.
For starters, White and Burkhead are free agents. White is 29 and had his least productive season since he started playing regularly. He couldn’t run the ball (when all the other backs on the team could) and had a lot fewer receptions. White should be invited back but for lower dollars and it will be up to him if he wants to stick around  

Burkhead will be 31 and ended the season on IR. I think he plays special teams and BB likes him, so if he is healthy he might be back. He’s a role player that won’t see the ball much so he’s mostly just taking touches away from the main guys.

NE spent the most on RBs out of any team in the league of 2019 but dropped down to 12th in 2020 (roughly spending $5 million less). 

Harris and Michel combined for 216-1140-3 rushing last year with both averaging more then 5 yards per carry. I suspect some of that was the Cam Newton effect.

Bottom line, the NE offense is in transition and there are reports that they will be aggressively pursuing and making changes this offseason. What that means is a mystery. I doubt they will draft a RB on Day 1 or 2 of the draft. Bill will kick the tires on proven bets that will play for low dollars, so there is always a chance they add a depth piece like a Lamar Miller type. They also have JJ Taylor as a dirt cheap option if they are trying to max out cap space. That’s the best I can over without seeing what they do with their roster. 

LA Chargers - Ekeler and Kelley and Ballage. Probably set. I don't agree. I think Kelley and Ballage can battle for RB3 and they need to upgrade RB2. I think Conner makes a ton of sense on this roster.
I'd be extremely surprised if the Chargers signed a free agent like Conner, unless he is really cheap. The Chargers will not have that much cap space available after dealing with draft picks, internal free agents, etc., and they have needs much more important than RB2/3.

It is GM Telesco's normal MO to give Kelley every chance to be the RB2 this year. If Lynn was still head coach, I think that would be a given. The wild card here is the new coaching staff, and there is no way to tell how they will feel about Kelley.

I'd be extremely surprised if the Chargers signed a free agent like Conner, unless he is really cheap. The Chargers will not have that much cap space available after dealing with draft picks, internal free agents, etc., and they have needs much more important than RB2/3.

It is GM Telesco's normal MO to give Kelley every chance to be the RB2 this year. If Lynn was still head coach, I think that would be a given. The wild card here is the new coaching staff, and there is no way to tell how they will feel about Kelley.
I would be extremely surprised if Conner is not cheap. If he isn't then I agree with you, paying for depth isn't good team building. Sub another UFA instead of Conner in that case. Would also think another mid round pick could be in play, but not all of these teams in which I guessed mid round picks can/will pick them. Supply v Demand. 

Buffalo - would love to see Moss or Singletary to take over but it is going to remain a split. I don't see them targeting RB high in draft or FA. I'd call them settled but mediocre (for FF).

NYJ - Not settled but not looking good. If they do get someone it could be an interesting buy low as everyone will say F the Jets skill players.

Miami - not settled. Gaskin will remain useful in PPR but the upside is high for an elite back to take over here. Not holding my breath. Ahmed maybe a sleeper.

New England - not settled

Cleveland, Cincy and Baltimore all settled. Pitt somewhere in the middle. In win now mode with Ben they probably can't take a top back but if they do...

Indy, Tenn, Jax settled. Not even going to comment on Houston. Give me Jets skill players all day. 

KC, Vegas settled. LAC settled but a dark horse for an elite rookie RB to take over. Denver unsettled and possibly prime spot.

Bears, Vikings, Lions settled. Am of the opinion GB brings Jones back but obviously a great spot if not. I don't see them turning it over to Dillon if they ship Jones.

Wash, Philly, Dallas settled. NYG most likely settled but I'd love to hear about Barkley's recovery.

New Orleans, Carolina settled. Tampa and Atlanta are prime spots.

LAR settled. Arizona, SF and Seattle all prime spots.

Eckler is not a 3 down back. I just don't understand the hoopla around this guy. Is he good? Yes. Is he great? Mayyyybe. Is he great as an every down/3 down back? NO. He has been injured every time they try and jam his small with giant muscles frame in that role. I think he is best served as a 3rd down back sprinkled in on 1st and 2nd here and there. No offense to the guy he was a bright spot when used, but he breaks down all too soon and then your left with Kelly. That didn't work out too well. I know I'm probably alone in this thinking but I believe the Chargers of LALA Land need another feature back.

After O line of course. 

Eckler is not a 3 down back. I just don't understand the hoopla around this guy. Is he good? Yes. Is he great? Mayyyybe. Is he great as an every down/3 down back? NO. He has been injured every time they try and jam his small with giant muscles frame in that role. I think he is best served as a 3rd down back sprinkled in on 1st and 2nd here and there. No offense to the guy he was a bright spot when used, but he breaks down all too soon and then your left with Kelly. That didn't work out too well. I know I'm probably alone in this thinking but I believe the Chargers of LALA Land need another feature back.

After O line of course. 
He’s plenty good IMO, but it does stand to reason if he’ll get as many touches with the new coaching regime as he did with Lynn.

After O line of course. 
Ekeler’s appeal is his receiving role no doubt. No RB is threat for a 8-10 reception game quite like Austin is. He isn’t a 3 down workhouse RB, who says he is? He is precisely what you said. Exclusive 3rd down, and passing duties RB with a sprinkle (8-10 carries) on first and second downs. 

These are the types of RBs I like to target in PPR over the Jacobs and Henry’s of the world. 

Ekeler’s appeal is his receiving role no doubt. No RB is threat for a 8-10 reception game quite like Austin is. He isn’t a 3 down workhouse RB, who says he is? He is precisely what you said. Exclusive 3rd down, and passing duties RB with a sprinkle (8-10 carries) on first and second downs. 

These are the types of RBs I like to target in PPR over the Jacobs and Henry’s of the world. 
That's quite the sprinkle there. That's at least two longer drives. So probably not just a third down back even by your estimation. But you're getting there, in my opinion. He actually needs a few more touches (read: eleven-twelve per game on the ground) in order to really be around the Jacobses and Henrys of the football world. Henry would have torched him in scoring this year. Jacobs...well, not so much. Probably better at Ekeler's ADP to have selected Ekeler over Jacobs and his ADP. You've got that right about Jacobs, IMO, at least for redraft.

That's quite the sprinkle there. That's at least two longer drives. So probably not just a third down back even by your estimation. But you're getting there, in my opinion. He actually needs a few more touches (read: eleven-twelve per game on the ground) in order to really be around the Jacobses and Henrys of the football world. Henry would have torched him in scoring this year. Jacobs...well, not so much. Probably better at Ekeler's ADP to have selected Ekeler over Jacobs and his ADP. You've got that right about Jacobs, IMO, at least for redraft.
Don’t forget 3-4 of those carries are coming on his exclusive 3rd down role. So 5-8 ish on 1st and 2nd downs.

Henry is a beast no doubt. I get worried though as he needs to cash in on those weekly TDs or he’s very RB 2ish. Lucky for him he has. 

When I think of Ekeler I think 

10 carries for 43 yards

7 catches for 73 and a TD 

The receiving upside is so exciting. 

Cincinnati Bengals - Just signed Mixon to a multi-year extension. Bernard is signed through 2021 and Perine's status is something I don't know. I wouldn't guess he's locked down at anything but a team-friendly deal. They seem set at their focal point of RB, though, which is Mixon and Bernard. Perine is a UFA, if they don't bring him back expect something similar that also won't move the needle.
Trayveon Williams is under contract for 2021 and 2022 (for under $1m for both) and I think the staff likes him a lot so he should remain the #3.  I can see them probably drafting a late-round guy and they also have Jacques Patrick on a futures contract so perhaps he gets that 4th spot (assuming there is one).  I can see Williams getting a little more work than the 25 carries he did last season. 

The big deal with the Bengals is that they brought back Frank Pollack to coach and the OL and coordinate the run game.  While theoretically they COULD save about $4m if they moved on from Gio Bernard they love him as a locker room leader - I don't see.  Now as for the merits of having $14m of cap space tied up in the running back position, that's another question.

Gio ain't going anywhere - position is settled.

-QG

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the WFTskins are going to upgrade from Peyton Barber in some way, shape or form for 2021. Love what I've seen from Gibson so far, but I don't think he's a workhorse. Love what I've seen from McKissic as well, but he's Chris Thompson revisited (that's not a bad thing), which is a specialist role. Bryce Love remains a question mark - a healthy Love could be the final piece of a fine committee - but that remains a question mark, until it isn't. I look for them to add a between the tackles bruising slasher capable of doing more than falling forward for 3 yards or less. Mike Davis would probably be too expensive, but an RB of that type would fit the mold of what they're currently lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread