What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Wilson, DEN (3 Viewers)

According to Connor Hughes of The Athletic, No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson looked "so comfortable" in new Jets OC Mike LaFleur's offense during OTAs and minicamp.

This is our first blurb on Wilson since he was taken with the No. 2 pick. Per Hughes, Wilson was "accurate, aggressive and regularly in control" throughout the spring. All the observations coming out of New York have been positive on Wilson. In what should be a much friendlier offense under LaFleur with a stronger supporting cast that includes Corey Davis, Keelan Cole, Jamison Crowder, Elijah Moore, and Denzel Mims at receiver, there's upside for Wilson, who is also an underrated athlete with his legs. For now, Wilson should be considered a back-end QB2 for fantasy.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 30, 2021, 2:08 PM ET

Jets QB Zach Wilson signed his rookie contract. 

Wilson is the final 2021 rookie to sign his deal. His contract negotiation was held up over a disagreement on offset language. Ultimately the Jets won on that front, successfully protecting their right to pay Wilson less money if they eventually cut him and he signs with another team. In exchange for keeping the offset language in place, Wilson was able to get all of his $22.9 million signing bonus payed out immediately, on his four-year $35.1 million contract. This was a critical step for both the Jets and their quarterback. Wilson has no competition for Week 1 snaps. As an immediate rookie starter, he'll need every training camp rep he can get. Wilson's thin college resume against fairly weak competition comes with major risk. However, given Wilson's arm talent, pocket mobility and clean pocket accuracy, it's not hard to understand why the Jets believe that he is now their franchise quarterback. 

"Now that his contract is signed, Zach can focus on other priorities, like getting his drivers license and asking Mary Jo to the big dance."

SOURCE: Guy on the Internet

July 29th, 2021, 4:25 PM ET

-jb- said:
"Now that his contract is signed, Zach can focus on other priorities, like getting his drivers license and asking Mary Jo to the big dance."

SOURCE: Guy on the Internet

July 29th, 2021, 4:25 PM ET
Well I got this football and I learned how to make it fly
And my car's out back if you're ready to take that long goodbye
From your front porch to my front seat
The door's open but the ride it ain't free
And I know you're lonely for words that I ain't spoken
Tonight we'll be free, all the promises will be broken

Better day 2, reportedly: 

Sat Jul 31 3:41pm ET
By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.
AP Pro Football Writer

“FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) Now, that was more like it.

Zach Wilson shook off a rough training camp debut by showing off the type of eye-popping playmaking ability that made him so coveted by the New York Jets. And the No. 2 overall draft pick did it Saturday in front of plenty of excited fans.

And teammates.

''He's doing things you're not expecting him to do,'' left tackle Mekhi Becton said. ''There's a lot of things that he's out there doing that you don't expect him to do, so I can't just key in on one thing.''

Such as scrambling to avoid a pass rush and then launching a pretty pass downfield to a streaking Elijah Moore for an 80-yard touchdown. Fans, who were able to attend practice for the first time since 2019, went wild. Meanwhile, Becton went over to Wilson and tapped him a few times on top of his helmet.

''I loved it,'' Becton said. ''I was just thinking to myself if we can give him time and he can make throws like that, we're going to win a lot of games.''

That, of course, is the plan. And the Jets expect Wilson to be a major reason for that success.

In the meantime, New York also knows there will be a few more days like Friday, when Wilson was shaky after missing the first two practices of camp while waiting to have his four-year, $35.15 million rookie deal worked out.

''He's going to have so many ebbs and flows, it's going to drive us all crazy,'' coach Robert Saleh said. ''But it's all part of a process of getting better. He was champing at the bit to get back out here and he'll champ at the bit to get out there tomorrow.''

Wilson's timing appeared a bit off Friday, and understandably so after a six-week layoff. He was much more in tune Saturday. While the TD pass to Moore - a fellow rookie who has been outstanding since rookie camp in May - was the highlight, there were a handful of other plays that marked Wilson's solid day.

He led Corey Davis down the sideline on a timing pattern that led to an easy reception. Later, Wilson scrambled to his right and zipped a pass to Denzel Mims, who made a nice grab. There was also a play when Wilson backpedaled to get out of trouble and found Moore for a completion.

''That's one of the traits that is very unique about him,'' Saleh said of Wilson's ability to make off-balance throws. ''He is an improvisor. You know, you have your runners, you have your scramblers and then you have your pocket passers. And he is more of a scrambler in the sense that he's looking to throw, he's trying to move and he can throw off his right, left, sidearm, under - whatever motion and platform you want to talk about.''

Wilson, who spoke to reporters Friday, insisted he had lots to work on and knows there will be a learning curve during his transition to the NFL.

And that goes for all the rookies. Not just Wilson.

''There's going to be a lot of hair-pulling moments,'' Saleh said. ''There's going to be times where they look like they're Pro Bowlers. There can be times where they look like they've never been coached before. But that's part of the evolution and the growth and development of these young guys. And we're excited for the challenge to see how far we can get these guys to go.''

Elijiah Moore thinks Wilson is "Swaggy". 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nflvideos/elijah-moore-on-qb-zach-wilson-he-s-swaggy/vi-AAMZbCk

Now that everyone's hating on him so much I'm really rooting for the kid. 

:wub:  

well, that and I have him on a team. lol 
To be fair, I do understand why people hate on “Jets QBs” and that will continue until one proves otherwise - but I do see that line of thinking as shortsighted. Joe Douglas has made the o-line a priority and has tried to surround Wilson with competent skill position players. I’m excited to see this offense take a quantum leap.

Every throw/play for Zach Wilson in preseason game 1

Pretty good stuff overall. Showed some good anticipation on throws. One resulted in an incompletion when Corey Davis didn't make it cleanly out of the break, but he hit him to the other side of the field shortly after. Missed Davis on another throw where it looked like Wilson expected a slant and Davis tried to cut it short and sit like a curl route, then another where the TE (Kroft) fell down uncovered as Wilson was letting the ball out. 

Seemed like the team wasn't giving him much in the way of deep shots, but the arm strength is definitely there and he had a nice throw on a rollout to the sideline that was accurate and on time. Will be interesting to see how he looks with more playing time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kid is going to be a star if he can get at least mediocre pass protection.

He's the best pure passer in this draft class and I don't think it's particularly close.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I liked was his confidence in reads. No hesitation. He saw something and took the shot. 
He also looked really comfortable back there both behind center & out of the shotgun. Vanilla offense, to be sure, but comfortable is comfortable. Excited to see what he can do with more reps & more advanced play-calling. As I said in the other topic,  I think he’s a gamer. 

and he rocks a sweet headband. 

TripItUp said:
Kid is going to be a star if he can get at least mediocre pass protection.

He's the best pure passer in this draft class and I don't think it's particularly close.
As a Jets fan I havent been this excited in a decade.....the kid looked solid but the coaches are doing the right thing and building confidence with short/safe plays so far...I expect a deep shot or 2 next game.  The key is he looks the part so far  

As for the OL - they are also doing the right thing....they invested heavily in the OL this offseason with AVT and Moses being very big upgrades....plus Becton is getting a lot of practice reps against a legit pass rusher in Lawson for the 1st time in his career. Add this OL improvement with the best WRs they've had since Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker - with a competent coaching staff and Wilson has a real chance to be very good.  

I'm sure you were this excited when Darnold destroyed the Loins in his first start.
While of course I was excited with Darnold's potential I wasnt this excited for the team.  I didnt like Bowles, the GM nor the team around Sam - I was convinced that Bowles was going to be fired at some point....then hated Gase with a passion from the start....this is the 1st time since Rex, Tannenbaum and Sanchez that I was happy with all 3 pieces plus the team...obviously Sanchez wasnt the real dead but I think Wilson is more talented.... Ill sign on if Wilson takes them to back to back AFCCG after this last decade of losing!  

While of course I was excited with Darnold's potential I wasnt this excited for the team.  I didnt like Bowles, the GM nor the team around Sam - I was convinced that Bowles was going to be fired at some point....then hated Gase with a passion from the start....this is the 1st time since Rex, Tannenbaum and Sanchez that I was happy with all 3 pieces plus the team...obviously Sanchez wasnt the real dead but I think Wilson is more talented.... Ill sign on if Wilson takes them to back to back AFCCG after this last decade of losing!  

After a decade of losing and 0-16 and similar, that's all you ask to be happy is the AFCCG???  How about 6-8 wins??

Down Under said:
After a decade of losing and 0-16 and similar, that's all you ask to be happy is the AFCCG???  How about 6-8 wins??
lol - obviously Im not expecting that much of a quantum leap....Sanchez walked into a ready made playoff squad with a top defense and OL with weapons....while Jets are improved across the board Im expecting improvement this year with a 6-7 win season then make a run for a WC next year. 

lol - obviously Im not expecting that much of a quantum leap....Sanchez walked into a ready made playoff squad with a top defense and OL with weapons....while Jets are improved across the board Im expecting improvement this year with a 6-7 win season then make a run for a WC next year
I wouldn't set your expectations too high, or you may be making a lot of runs to the WC this season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujpToy1bcM

The play at 1:43. That's what I CAN learn from the preseason. Oh he can do that already? He can make that throw? Good to know.  A lot of QBs don't try that one.  
It’s what I saw in the pro day footage.

The roll left throw a bomb to the right on a rope. 

It’s nice to see him doing it in “real” game action against legit completion.

Its why I didn’t mind trading for him when losing Mahomes. He’s my SF Dynasty ride or die, so it’s nice to see good news on top of good news. Kid’s a baller.

and, as per tradition; I have to mention that he rocks a sweet, sweet headband, ala Jim McMahon. It’s a good look. Ya don’t see it often enough any more. 

he's sure going to make Michael Carter's ascension to fantasy RB top 20 rankings a piece of cake. Wilson looks the part, like he's been in the league before. Jets have themselves some players on offense!

He may turn out to be great, but it seemed like quite a bit of those throws were off and the receivers ended up making really good plays. 
I had the opposite read on his accuracy, actually. He had a misfire into Davis's legs, and was a bit high and outside on a Davis crosser (that went for a 1st down anyways) but otherwise I was noting how his passes were pretty well placed, especially to give the receiver momentum downfield. 

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said QB Zach Wilson is "light years ahead of normal rookies" in his study habits and preparation. 

Saleh and the New York coaching staff have done little but gush about the No. 2 overall pick in the 2021 draft since the beginning of August. Wilson shredded Green Bay's second-team defense last week, completing nine of 11 passes for 128 yards and two scores. Though he hasn't displayed his rushing prowess this preseason, Wilson -- who rushed for 255 yards last year at BYU -- can and will produce on the ground in the NFL. ESPN's Rich Cimini said "you couldn't ask for a smoother transition" than the one Wilson has had this spring and summer. Wilson will likely be a solid streaming option in 12-team leagues this season. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 27, 2021, 10:00 AM ET

This is way off the charts. It can't be. Not with the Jets. 

Oh my. Let's put a line around the young man and see what he can do. Let's not get him killed. 
Robert Saleh is a great coach, and I am expecting him to turn things around in a hurry.

Team culture is not overrated, and the Jets had a culture of futility. Now they have a leader of men out there who’s well respected by his players. 

I was bummed to see him go, but very happy for Saleh to get this opportunity. I said it the second he was signed: the Jets got a great coach. He will build a winning team. 

Have faith. Trust the process. the only hiccup so far was Greg Knapp, and one has to consider that Knapp hand-picked Zach Wilson. And that’s a dude who mentored Steve Young & Peyton Manning, so suffice to say he recognizes talent. 

Because of Saleh & my acquisition of Wilson, I’m on the bandwagon. Plus I love an underdog, and Jets fans deserve a little happiness. 

The Jets are now my AFC team. J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets! 

Robert Saleh is a great coach, and I am expecting him to turn things around in a hurry.

Team culture is not overrated, and the Jets had a culture of futility. Now they have a leader of men out there who’s well respected by his players. 

I was bummed to see him go, but very happy for Saleh to get this opportunity. I said it the second he was signed: the Jets got a great coach. He will build a winning team. 

Have faith. Trust the process. the only hiccup so far was Greg Knapp, and one has to consider that Knapp hand-picked Zach Wilson. And that’s a dude who mentored Steve Young & Peyton Manning, so suffice to say he recognizes talent. 

Because of Saleh & my acquisition of Wilson, I’m on the bandwagon. Plus I love an underdog, and Jets fans deserve a little happiness. 

The Jets are now my AFC team. J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets! 

:goodposting:

he looks to be the most polished of the rookie QBs, the most pro-ready. he has a fastball , he can throw with zip. 

very encouraged by what I've seen so far.

Can we not play the weather-delayed meaningless preseason game? I just am already having nightmares and it’s not even bedtime. Waking terrors, more like. 

Users who are viewing this thread