What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawsuit Claims Subway's Tuna - Contains No Tuna and No Fish (1 Viewer)

What if it had exactly the same nutritional value (protein, calories etc) but it wasn't fish....

Tofu? Soy? Some kind of pink stuff like McDonald's used with protein powder added.

I figured all the meats were processed to the gills.

I'm no Subway fan, but I bet this turns out to be at least a bit of wordplay or technicality.  I highly doubt they aren't using at least something tuna-like in there.  It's probably bonito or skipjack or some other tuna-adjacent fish. Which might not really be a big deal since most of the cheap canned tuna is skipjack anyway.

I'm no Subway fan, but I bet this turns out to be at least a bit of wordplay or technicality.  I highly doubt they aren't using at least something tuna-like in there.  It's probably bonito or skipjack or some other tuna-adjacent fish. Which might not really be a big deal since most of the cheap canned tuna is skipjack anyway.
makes sense, but the article says "no fish"

There are Little Tunny, skippjack, frigates, and bonito are all false tuna species that look similiar. There is not much difference so i just cal l them all bonito.

There was a bizzare foods from houston from south east texas where they kept some of those tuna and dried them in salt outside. Then they pan fried them and put them on a salad. I tried to do that twice, but neither time worked out,

It is too bad, they are a blast to catch, a 5-10 pound bonito puts up a hell of a fight. I have caught 20 pound black drum or snapper or 50 pound sharks that do not fight near as hard.

Edit: Offshore fisherman all call bonito, skipjack, little tunny, etc, tuna, although they are technically part of the mackerel family,. They look and fight like tuna though, except they have stripes where as a blackfin, bigeye, yellowfin, or bluefin do not have stripes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard a story years ago about how they changed who provided their turkey because the existing providers meat was like 50% turkey and subway wanted a cheaper product with less meat. 

Isn't skipjack a tuna?

I honestly have no idea why an adult with a decent income who lives within 15 miles of any remotely decent deli (or ANY OTHER sandwich chain if absolutely necessary. Jersey Mike's is perfectly decent) would eat at subway.

I get that its quick, but other than that....what's the appeal?  If you'd rather spend $5 on a garbage sandwich instead of $8 on a good one, why not just buy your own ingredients and make a sandwich far better than subway for much cheaper?

Blows my mind that one of these places survives in like every 3rd shopping center in America. 

I honestly have no idea why an adult with a decent income who lives within 15 miles of any remotely decent deli (or ANY OTHER sandwich chain if absolutely necessary. Jersey Mike's is perfectly decent) would eat at subway.

I get that its quick, but other than that....what's the appeal?  If you'd rather spend $5 on a garbage sandwich instead of $8 on a good one, why not just buy your own ingredients and make a sandwich far better than subway for much cheaper?

Blows my mind that one of these places survives in like every 3rd shopping center in America. 
A big appeal is that Subway is everywhere. Also, their sandwiches are produced similarly across 1000s of locations and you can see the ingredients and preparation right in front of you. The alternative is usually not another sandwich chain, but something like a Burger King or Wendy's hamburger with fries. Like most of the people I know, I l don't get the hate. 

Our corporate campus has Subway in it. To eat at any other sandwich shop, you have to give up your parking spot and leave the campus. Hence, lots of people eat Subway there. It tends to be one of the healthier options (compared to burgers, etc.). This is all pre-COVID of course. Currently I believe everything is shut down.

Convenience - if there's a better place within 15 miles, there's probably a Subway within 3.

Convenience - buying ingredients, storing ingredients, making sandwich, storing sandwich vs quick trip to Subway.

That's the only way any of them survive. Otherwise they wouldn't be known for their convenience. 

Fish labelling is inaccurate more than a third of the time.

>>The researchers, from the group Oceana, collected 142 fish samples earlier this year from 81 retail outlets, including large grocery stores, corner bodegas, high-end restaurants, and sushi bars. They analyzed the samples using DNA barcoding, and found that 39 percent of the fish were labeled as other species.

Farm-raised Atlantic salmon had been substituted for wild-caught salmon, they found. Ocean perch, tilapia, and goldbanded jobfish were sold as red snapper. Fish labeled "white tuna" was escolar, which can cause acute gastrointestinal problems. And one serving of halibut was really tilefish, a species with so much mercury that the Food and Drug Administration has placed it on the do-not-eat list for pregnant women and young children.<<

Seafood Sleuthing Reveals Pervasive Fish Fraud In New York City

I'm not a fan myself, though.  It's not very often that I'm in the mood for a deli-type sandwich in the first place, and when I do I want a good one, so convenience isn't usually a factor in my personal decision.  But I could definitely understand how it would be for others.

Fish labelling is inaccurate more than a third of the time.

>>The researchers, from the group Oceana, collected 142 fish samples earlier this year from 81 retail outlets, including large grocery stores, corner bodegas, high-end restaurants, and sushi bars. They analyzed the samples using DNA barcoding, and found that 39 percent of the fish were labeled as other species.

Farm-raised Atlantic salmon had been substituted for wild-caught salmon, they found. Ocean perch, tilapia, and goldbanded jobfish were sold as red snapper. Fish labeled "white tuna" was escolar, which can cause acute gastrointestinal problems. And one serving of halibut was really tilefish, a species with so much mercury that the Food and Drug Administration has placed it on the do-not-eat list for pregnant women and young children.<<

Seafood Sleuthing Reveals Pervasive Fish Fraud In New York City
Sure, but the lawsuit alleges it’s not even fish at all.

Not a suprise.  I worked at a Taco Bell for 2 months my freshman year in college.   Not sure what the meat was but I would not call it  ground beef.

One time we took some for a tailgate to make burgers.  People were spitting them out saying WTH is this?? 
Without all the sauce and spices it was horrible!

Convenience - if there's a better place within 15 miles, there's probably a Subway within 3.

Convenience - buying ingredients, storing ingredients, making sandwich, storing sandwich vs quick trip to Subway.

That's the only way any of them survive. Otherwise they wouldn't be known for their convenience. 

LOL at "storing ingredients" and "storing sandwich" being some sort of monumental task. Its not 1650. You dont have to slaughter the pig, cure the meat yourself and pack it in salt for preservation.

You go to the grocery store (where I imagine you're going anyway, so "buying ingredients" is hardly an inconvenience) , spend 2 minutes at the deli counter (or just grab pre-packaged meat/cheese, which is still 100x better than the "meat" and "cheese" subway sells)  take it home and throw it in the fridge.  How long does it take to make a sandwich in the morning before you leave for work? 45 seconds? 

I mean....if you're someone whose job requires you to be on the road all day (which wouldn't allow you to refrigerate a pre-made lunch)  and you live in an area of the country where decent mom and pop delis aren't a thing......I GUESS I understand why you would go there.   But other than that.....its just laziness/ignorance.

Life is hard. You need to enjoy the simple pleasures, like a decent lunch to break up a long day of work. If you're willing eat fake "meat", frozen bread and unwashed vegetables (which they throw on by the pound to make you think you're getting more for your money) just to save 5 minutes of driving (or 2 minutes of morning meal prep), you're probably not going to be a very happy person.

If "convenience" is the only factor, why stop at subway? Why not just bring a Lunchable? That's even faster. Or just grab one of those 2 day old hot dogs spinning in the case at the 7/11. That would be faster and easier than waiting in line at subway.

In the Fast Food arena, Subway offers an affordable, convenient, healthier option for those on the go, soccer moms, ballet dads, workers who don't have time or money for a 3 martini lunch. The latest offers are any 6 inch for $3.49 and meal for $5.99, footlong for $5.99. What's gross about an affordable sandwich with freshly baked bread, fresh veggies, cheese, toasted with multiple condiments prepared right in front of you?

A big appeal is that Subway is everywhere. Also, their sandwiches are produced similarly across 1000s of locations and you can see the ingredients and preparation right in front of you. The alternative is usually not another sandwich chain, but something like a Burger King or Wendy's hamburger with fries. Like most of the people I know, I l don't get the hate. 
i don't hate them - but understand those who do. 

The hate comes directly from misrepresenting their various "meats."  Their chicken has been accused of being only 50% chicken and the cold cut combo being all turkey-based (even though they say ham, salami and bologna).  

Subway was one of the easiest and cheapest national chain restaurants to franchise and open. They spread everywhere, especially in low- and low-middle class areas because they were so easy to open and serve the community at a price level the community could support. It might cost $150,000 all-in to get a Subway going, with them doing all the work on securing a location and providing branding. Opening a McDonalds in the same spot would cost $2.5 million. 

Users who are viewing this thread