Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Lawsuit Claims Subway's Tuna - Contains No Tuna and No Fish

12 hours ago, culdeus said:

Didn't we determine it was ground gym mats two decades ago?

Five

Five dollar

Five dollar footlong

Five dollar footlong ground gym mats

Five

Five dollar

Five dollar footlong

Five dollar footlong ground gym mats

It's ca-ca-ca-catching on

2 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Not a suprise.  I worked at a Taco Bell for 2 months my freshman year in college.   Not sure what the meat was but I would not call it  ground beef.

One time we took some for a tailgate to make burgers.  People were spitting them out saying WTH is this?? 
Without all the sauce and spices it was horrible!

You could probably make a better grilled cheeseburger out of a roll of Freshpet dog food.

2 hours ago, Todd from Utah said:

LOL at "storing ingredients" and "storing sandwich" being some sort of monumental task. Its not 1650. You dont have to slaughter the pig, cure the meat yourself and pack it in salt for preservation.

You go to the grocery store (where I imagine you're going anyway, so "buying ingredients" is hardly an inconvenience) , spend 2 minutes at the deli counter (or just grab pre-packaged meat/cheese, which is still 100x better than the "meat" and "cheese" subway sells)  take it home and throw it in the fridge.  How long does it take to make a sandwich in the morning before you leave for work? 45 seconds? 

I mean....if you're someone whose job requires you to be on the road all day (which wouldn't allow you to refrigerate a pre-made lunch)  and you live in an area of the country where decent mom and pop delis aren't a thing......I GUESS I understand why you would go there.   But other than that.....its just laziness/ignorance.

Life is hard. You need to enjoy the simple pleasures, like a decent lunch to break up a long day of work. If you're willing eat fake "meat", frozen bread and unwashed vegetables (which they throw on by the pound to make you think you're getting more for your money) just to save 5 minutes of driving (or 2 minutes of morning meal prep), you're probably not going to be a very happy person.

If "convenience" is the only factor, why stop at subway? Why not just bring a Lunchable? That's even faster. Or just grab one of those 2 day old hot dogs spinning in the case at the 7/11. That would be faster and easier than waiting in line at subway.

:shrug:

You wondered why and I threw out a guess.  I try not to get all caught up on and frustrated by others making personal choices I wouldn't.  

But convenience isn't all about the time it takes - it also takes into account pre-planning vs impulse, for example.  (And I wasn't trying to imply "monumental tasks" - just more involved than a stop at Subway.)  And I also wasn't trying to imply it was the only factor, but often a big part of the equation.  Someone might see a small difference between a homemade sandwich and Subway, and so convenience wins out there while it wouldn't overcome the bigger difference between Subway and a Lunchable.   

13 hours ago, culdeus said:

Didn't we determine it was ground gym mats two decades ago?

It was weird how this meme spread and how wrong it is.

Yes, Subway's bread contains some of the same ingredients that are also used in yoga mats, but, that's all about the yoga mats being organic and using plant-based materials in their manufacture, not about what Subway did. Pretty much all bread uses that ingredient. Don't know why Subway got singled out.

It's like saying since Ford uses soybeans to create the cushioning in their car seats, anyone who uses soy sauce or eats edamame or anything else with soy in it is "eating car seats". Weird but edamame doesn't look like it's made out of car seats to em.

• Thinking 1

I evidently like Subway much more than the average FBG but still can’t imagine ordering tuna there. That’s just asking for trouble. Footlong roast beef on Italian with a cherry coke makes a tasty lunch from time to time.

Edited by caustic
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I'd rather eat the butthole of an inmate than tuna from Subway.  Who f'n eats this poison? 

I have a higher tolerance for fast food than I should, but Subway has always seemed off to me. Their bread smells like chemicals. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

In the Fast Food arena, Subway offers an affordable, convenient, healthier option for those on the go, soccer moms, ballet dads, workers who don't have time or money for a 3 martini lunch. The latest offers are any 6 inch for $3.49 and meal for $5.99, footlong for $5.99. What's gross about an affordable sandwich with freshly baked bread, fresh veggies, cheese, toasted with multiple condiments prepared right in front of you?

Yep. There are many times I'm on a road trip and an exit might have McDonald's, Wendy's or Subway, I'll do a Subway Club on wheat with provolone, loaded with all the veggies, spicy mustard, oregano, and extra vinegar. 

There are also a LOT of small towns where there's no decent deli and Subway is legit one of the better food options in that town. 

That said, I don't think I've CHOSEN to eat at subway in years, absent it being the only viable option. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

In the Fast Food arena, Subway offers an affordable, convenient, healthier option for those on the go, soccer moms, ballet dads, workers who don't have time or money for a 3 martini lunch. The latest offers are any 6 inch for $3.49 and meal for $5.99, footlong for $5.99. What's gross about an affordable sandwich with freshly baked bread, fresh veggies, cheese, toasted with multiple condiments prepared right in front of you?

:subwayPRagent:

NOTE:  just received an email from Subway with a BIG headline -

"OUR TUNA IS 100% WILD CAUGHT"!!!  100% DELICIOUS!!! - Our tuna salad is 100% tuna mixed with mayonnaise - LEARN MORE

Then offering a whopping 15% discount for a tuna sandwich (thanks Elvis) which is a substantially lower discount than the weekly flyer they send me.    

7 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Not a suprise.  I worked at a Taco Bell for 2 months my freshman year in college.   Not sure what the meat was but I would not call it  ground beef.

One time we took some for a tailgate to make burgers.  People were spitting them out saying WTH is this?? 
Without all the sauce and spices it was horrible!

I have a similar but much better story about Subway. Right after college, a buddy of mine from work and his friends had a great house for parties and one of his friends was a manager at Subway.

I will also add that the original Subway restaurant was started in this same town and my buddy went to high school with the guy who started Subway. This was a while ago so maybe back then the ingredients were better.

Anyway, every weekend the friend brought back to the house a giant clear bag of sub rolls and stacks of condiments, meats and cheese. He said they’d throw it away, so again maybe a different time and quality, but for drunken parties it was the bomb. Always a decent sized group of people so always gone at the end of the night.

My kids used to like Subway but we never go there anymore. I haven’t liked their meatball subs in many, many years and back where I grew up they were pretty solid.

Edited by stbugs
On 1/30/2021 at 7:57 AM, DallasDMac said:

Our corporate campus has Subway in it. To eat at any other sandwich shop, you have to give up your parking spot and leave the campus. Hence, lots of people eat Subway there. It tends to be one of the healthier options (compared to burgers, etc.). This is all pre-COVID of course. Currently I believe everything is shut down.

Pizza hut, coke and bike are the only products sold on our college campus.

23 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

He lives in Florida, a culinary wasteland. 

I would imagine the southern half of Florida can at least have some decent Cuban sandwich places?

• Like 1

Subway is the most generic sandwich place ever. They also usually smell bad inside too. Their “ham” is not full blown actual ham either iirc. 

Edited by Osaurus
On 1/30/2021 at 11:33 AM, Binky The Doormat said:

The hate comes directly from misrepresenting their various "meats."  Their chicken has been accused of being only 50% chicken and the cold cut combo being all turkey-based (even though they say ham, salami and bologna).  

When I do eat there, I always order turkey, so I guess I'm good.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:33 PM, Pip's Invitation said:

He lives in Florida, a culinary wasteland. 

Only a few decent local delis/sandwich shops in Jacksonville but regional chains Firehouse Subs, Metro Diner, and Maple Street Biscuit all got their start here.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:28 PM, shuke said:

Isn't skipjack a tuna?

On 1/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, mr. furley said:

it's even named the skipjack tuna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipjack_tuna

Interesting, but that's not the fish I see referred to as skipjack in FL.  Similar, but not the same.  But, when I look up the skipjack/little tunny/bonito on the FWC site it does say they are part of the tuna family.  So, I stand corrected.  And I think I might get into the tuna biz.

• Like 1