What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tribalism and bof sidez and trying to be objective and fair (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
This is Shapiro so obviously biased but the story is the tweets in the article. 

Democrats Erupt In Anger At Fake Maxine Waters Quote

Someone posted a quote attributed to Maxine Waters.

“If you see anybody from the Cuomo Administration in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”

New York Lieutenant Gov. Kathy Hochul wrote:

“This is encouraging violence against public officials – plain & simple. Absolutely disgusting. No tolerance for this. Haven’t we learned the lessons from Washington D.C. just weeks ago?”
Former Pete Buttigieg adviser Lis Smith wrote:

“Way way way over the line. Especially in light of what happened at the Capitol on Jan 6.”
Plus lots more similarly condemning the quote saying it was dangerous and encouraging violence.

All of the statements were proper and accurate. I think the quote attributed to Waters was absolutely over the line and disgusting. 

The quote attributed to Waters encouraging people to do this to Cuomo people was fake. 

But as you probably know, she said it for real a while back but said it about Trump instead of Cuomo.

I'm sure there are people who see this is as "own the libs". I think that's way too short sighted.

I see this 100% as we all can be biased and we all can be better. Lots better. And by "better", I think it's mostly more objective and less tribal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don`t remember this quote, but was she condemed for her original one by the same people too?  The original one seems to be inciting violence as well.  To copy that is doing the same.

I don`t remember this quote, but was she condemed for her original one by the same people too?  The original one seems to be inciting violence as well.  To copy that is doing the same.
By Republicans yes.    Democrats  no.   Perhaps Joe can find some other short sighted quotes by democrats.

By Republicans yes.    Democrats  no.   Perhaps Joe can find some other short sighted quotes by democrats.

Well there lies the problem.  Both should be condemed by both sides.
Except it was...by even Schumer and Pelosi (some were not happy with that as they wanted Waters protected...mostly because of course Trump immediately went on the attack after such comments).

“In the crucial months ahead, we must strive to make America beautiful again. Trump’s daily lack of civility has provoked responses that are predictable but unacceptable. As we go forward, we must conduct elections in a way that achieves unity from sea to shining sea,” Pelosi tweeted in a subtle rebuke aimed at Waters last week.

On the Senate floor, Schumer said Waters' call for the “harassment of political opponents” was “not American.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/black-female-leaders-blast-schumer-pelosi-failing-defend/story?id=56382314

Yes...she should have chosen her words more carefully...harass was the wrong choice if her point was about being peaceful to demonstrate.  And no...she was not talking about his supporters either.  She was talking about elected officials.  There was so much misinformation in what she originally said (and how she came out to clarify...which still wasn't good enough) as there is now with the reaction where people claim that only Republicans called her out for her statement.

Yes...we read things based on context and all too often react...react without all the fats...react because of who said something rather than what they actually said.  Ive tried to be better about that...engage people not because of who they are but what they said.

I see this 100% as we all can be biased and we all can be better. Lots better. And by "better", I think it's mostly more objective and less tribal. 
Interesting that u post about whataboutism but I didn't see you condemn this quote  when it was first made.

You also didn't shut down  the anti Trump thread until it's mirror image showed up about Biden.

"Physician heal thyself"

There was an old school computer scientist who coined a phrase that I think unintentionally describes this perfectly

The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from

-Andrew S. Tanenbaum

If people realized they were constantly applying different standards based on who's side they are on, the dialogue between opposing points of view would get a lot better.  Instead what we see is people deny they are doing that and make a bunch of excuses as to why their side isn't the one doing that. 

Maxine Waters is Marjorie Taylor Greene with longevity. During the 1980s she expressed the theory that crack cocaine was created by the CIA in order to reduce the black population. She referred to the Los Angeles riots of 1992 as an uprising and publicly, actively, encouraged looters and acts of violence. Her slavish praise and adoration over the years  for leftist murderers like Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, and the leadership of Hamas have been truly embarrassing for the United States. While she has softened her rhetoric over the years she has never apologized for any of this and her presence and continued significant role in the Democratic Party remains a blot on them.  

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/25/facebook-posts/no-calif-rep-maxine-waters-didnt-say-trump-support/

I didn't question whether Maxine Waters said the quote because she has a history of over the top rhetoric. But there was a little bit more to it - she was encouraging protesting members of the Trump administration until they ended their child separation policy and reunited the 3000 families. 

That being said, I don't think any politician should use their bully pulpit to encourage harassment of other people and should generally stay away from promoting protests and boycotts.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/25/facebook-posts/no-calif-rep-maxine-waters-didnt-say-trump-support/

I didn't question whether Maxine Waters said the quote because she has a history of over the top rhetoric. But there was a little bit more to it - she was encouraging protesting members of the Trump administration until they ended their child separation policy and reunited the 3000 families. 

That being said, I don't think any politician should use their bully pulpit to encourage harassment of other people and should generally stay away from promoting protests and boycotts.
And yet I don't remember anyone on the left condemning what she said.  :shrug:

In fact, I believe most came out praising her and agreeing with her statement.  Can we charge her now with inciting violence since now everyone is able to agree that her rhetoric is exactly that?

And yet I don't remember anyone on the left condemning what she said. 
Leftists rarely criticize other leftists. Rightists rarely criticize other rightists. I’ve never understood why you and so many others constantly obsess about this. We have, and have had forever, double standards and hypocrisy from all sides. So what? Who cares? 

Maxine Waters is Marjorie Taylor Greene with longevity. During the 1980s she expressed the theory that crack cocaine was created by the CIA in order to reduce the black population. She referred to the Los Angeles riots of 1992 as an uprising and publicly, actively, encouraged looters and acts of violence. Her slavish praise and adoration over the years  for leftist murderers like Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, and the leadership of Hamas have been truly embarrassing for the United States. While she has softened her rhetoric over the years she has never apologized for any of this and her presence and continued significant role in the Democratic Party remains a blot on them.  
She may have referred to it as an uprising, but she didn't actively encourage looters and acts of violence. Please.  And I was expecting you to post here as soon as I saw Waters mentioned, it is like the proverbial waving a red flag in front of a bull. 

She may have referred to it as an uprising, but she didn't actively encourage looters and acts of violence. Please.  
Were you there? Were you in the middle of it? Did property you managed and loved get burned to the ground? Because all of that happened to me, right in front of me. I’ll never forget it and I remember EXACTLY what she said, and I’ll never forgive her for it. 

Were you there? Were you in the middle of it? Did property you managed and loved get burned to the ground? Because all of that happened to me, right in front of me. I’ll never forget it and I remember EXACTLY what she said, and I’ll never forgive her for it. 
Yes, I was living in L.A. at the time and following the news. You are misremembering or mischaracterizing what Waters said at the time.

Interesting that u post about whataboutism but I didn't see you condemn this quote  when it was first made.

You also didn't shut down  the anti Trump thread until it's mirror image showed up about Biden.

"Physician heal thyself"
This isn't about whataboutism. (which sounds kind of funny in itself) This in my opinion is about tribalism and biases. I'm obviously guilty there too and I want us all to try and be better. I want to try and be better. :shrug:  

Biases don’t bother me a ton. Yeah, it would be great if we could mature in that area. What bothers me more is doubling down when our biases are made clear to us or using that moment as a chance to point out the other tribe’s biases. 

TheMagus said:

The capitol hill rioters would say that their situation was different because they were trying to prevent a presidential election from being stolen.  Nearly everybody who engages in politically-inspired violence thinks that their cause is super-important and justifies pushing the line.  

(Not directed at you personally because you condemned those folks too.  Just pointing out that it's generally not helpful to use "But it was for a good cause" as a mitigating factor).

Summer Wheat said:

VIDEO: Democrats Calling for Riots & Harm to President Trump 2020

This video shows the hypocritical calls for riots and harm to our President / 5,251 views •Sep 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw72Iiy6wqU

It was a lot more than just Waters.

sho nuff said:
Yes...she should have chosen her words more carefully.......

Yes...we read things based on context and all too often react...react without all the fats...react because of who said something rather than what they actually said.  Ive tried to be better about that...engage people not because of who they are but what they said.

VIDEO: Maxine Waters Take Out Trump •Oct 22, 2017

Maxine Waters wants to take out Donald Trump. The video was taken down after it was determined this was a public threat. We the people will not let this disappear from history. Share this video or download it and put it on your own youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xda4hpv-mHU

VIDEO: Rep. Maxine Waters: I will 'take Trump out' •Oct 24, 2017

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) explains her controversial remarks she made about President Donald Trump at an LGBT event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzSJzqnsuU

What "context" is there here then? What more is there to interpret when you say that you'll "take someone out"?

I also included the Waters/Cuomo interview so she could have a chance to defend herself. I just gave Waters more context than anyone here and it still looks ugly and repugnant.

timschochet said:
Leftists rarely criticize other leftists. Rightists rarely criticize other rightists. I’ve never understood why you and so many others constantly obsess about this. We have, and have had forever, double standards and hypocrisy from all sides. So what? Who cares? 

VIDEO: Sarah Huckabee Sanders Talks About A Resturaunt Asking Her To Leave | TIME •Jun 26, 2018

A small Virginia restaurant named Red Hen found itself the subject of one of President Donald Trump’s routine Twitter jabs and faced an onslaught of scrutiny online after its owner asked White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrVjePRsrk

Direct Headline: Sarah Sanders Reportedly To Get Temporary Secret Service Protection / June 27, 2018 6:59 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/27/623779273/sarah-sanders-reportedly-to-get-temporary-secret-service-protection

VIDEO: Sarah Sanders Mocked by Late Night for Being Kicked Out of Restaurant | THR News •Jun 26, 2018

On Friday, Sarah Huckabee Sanders and her guests were asked to leave the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, VA, and as the incident continued to make headlines on Monday, several late-night hosts took the time to discuss the matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibrIqCSTok

I would say Sarah Huckabee Sander's children care a great deal. Waters' quote came after the Huckabee Sanders/Red Hen incident. She got death threats and Peter Fonda called for her children to be kidnapped. Instead of denouncing this behavior, late night TV used it for comedy. They mocked her. We are talking about people and their children's safety here. Someone could have just as easily walked up to her family and tried to do harm to them.

By saying "Who Cares?", you are now openly ignoring the safety of children. It's your free speech, but saying things like that always comes at a cost. The speech is free, the aftermath usually demands a pound of flesh.

Would you "obsess" if someone talked about harming your children?

squistion said:
Yes, I was living in L.A. at the time and following the news. You are misremembering or mischaracterizing what Waters said at the time.
That's not a misremembering or mischaracterization. It's called context and when things were said. If a building happens to be burning on the news and the anchor looks away from the screen and says "There comes a time when the people have a right to be angry," one can easily attribute that statement as condoning political violence or property damage. You're just incorrect that statements like these aren't properly characterized. Nothing short of a condemnation is acceptable under circumstances of riot and arson, and saying that someone has a "right" to be doing those things is as surefire as approval.

squistion said:
She may have referred to it as an uprising, but she didn't actively encourage looters and acts of violence.....

Direct Headline: Bank at center of Waters controversy got $12 million bailout despite reviews

By Susan Crabtree - 09/15/10 11:53 PM EDT

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/119099-bank-at-center-of-waters-controversy-got-12m-bailout

VIDEO: Melanie Sloan Discusses the Maxine Waters Trial (8/9/10) •Aug 10, 2010

...Maxine Waters Ethics Trial on Special Report with Bret Baier (8/9/2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFRl-xuH5Q

After the Sarah Huckabee Sanders incident, Waters essentially doubled down immediately and endorsed what happened with Sanders, i.e. the open threat to her children. And she made sure a corrupt bank, that had her husband on it's board, got 12 million in TARP bailout money, which comes from my tax dollars, your tax dollars, the tax dollars of everyone here and will be footed even by our grandchildren's tax dollars. This bank's survival, despite it's own corruption and incompetence, meant protecting her own financial investment and where key members of the bank's hierarchy did campaign fundraising for her and contributed to her political campaigns.

She didn't just call for the death of the sitting President by talking about "taking him out" but she made it a point, during one of the worst financial eras in American economic history, to LOOT YOUR MONEY AND LOOT YOUR GRANDCHILDREN'S MONEY FOR HER OWN PROFIT AND HER OWN POLITICAL INTERESTS.

Is that enough Maxine Waters related looting for you?

Summer Wheat said:
Was she impeached for it?  That's the standard now.  

Joe Bryant said:
As we're seeing by the responses, some people's answer to the problem of tribalism and bias is more tribalism and bias.  I don't know how you fix the issue if no one is willing to look in the mirror, Joe.  We're constantly consuming information that demonizes the other side and then throwing zingers at one another as though our side's #### doesn't stink. It's sad and frustrating to watch, but I applaud your efforts to pull ourselves out of the ditch. 

timschochet said:
Sorry to hear.  People often think of buildings as just property, but it can be way more than that.  Arson is a very personal crime.

Joe Bryant said:
This isn't about whataboutism. (which sounds kind of funny in itself) This in my opinion is about tribalism and biases. I'm obviously guilty there too and I want us all to try and be better. I want to try and be better. :shrug:  
That's fine and fair.

But how about next time start and finish with your sides problem.   Obviously  you have  a keen ability to point out your issues with Republicans.   Try pointing out your sides issues.   

Your laser beam focus alway  goes one way.   But it is your board.    On quickhands board I can point out my pointed issues. 

Sorry to hear.  People often think of buildings as just property, but it can be way more than that.  Arson is a very personal crime.
It’s 28 years ago so it doesn’t bother me as much anymore. But I can remember it like it was yesterday. 
Many people  were angry at the time and I got it. I understood their anger and I could empathize with it. As in 2020, the vast majority of those who were angry expressed it in peaceful and positive ways by protesting. Then, just like last year, at night they mostly left and the thugs came out and burned and looted. 
The black leaders at the time, Jesse Jackson, the NAACP, local organizers etc, led the peaceful protests and condemned the riots. Maxine Waters was an exception to this. Part of it was because she really was that radical. But I also believe she was looking for attention and power and therefore sought to differentiate herself. She did. Almost alone she justified the rioting and gave it legitimacy. She is the main reason the thugs who dragged Reginald Denny out of his truck and nearly beat him to death mostly escaped punishment for their crimes. 

It's pretty far gone at this point.  It amounts to a bunch of 5 graders squabbling on the playground.......except these are the people we've elected to represent us.

Unfortunately, social media platforms breed tribalism to an extreme.....the divide will continue to widen until we reach some sort of a climax.....at this point, big tech is mostly interested in us as a commodity....it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

I have conversations with my kids often about how to talk to people with respect, and understanding.....to have self awareness, and to not assume anything about others......to try to learn about why people have the views and opinions they do.  I am trying to do my part to make sure my spawn is not part of the problem....I don't always practice what I preach, but I'm very aware of the world my kids are inheriting, and it scares me.

It’s 28 years ago so it doesn’t bother me as much anymore. But I can remember it like it was yesterday. 
Many people  were angry at the time and I got it. I understood their anger and I could empathize with it. As in 2020, the vast majority of those who were angry expressed it in peaceful and positive ways by protesting. Then, just like last year, at night they mostly left and the thugs came out and burned and looted. 
The black leaders at the time, Jesse Jackson, the NAACP, local organizers etc, led the peaceful protests and condemned the riots. Maxine Waters was an exception to this. Part of it was because she really was that radical. But I also believe she was looking for attention and power and therefore sought to differentiate herself. She did. Almost alone she justified the rioting and gave it legitimacy. She is the main reason the thugs who dragged Reginald Denny out of his truck and nearly beat him to death mostly escaped punishment for their crimes. 
There is a documentary about the LA riots that came out within the last five years, you're correct about Waters role in the riots.

That's fine and fair.

But how about next time start and finish with your sides problem.   Obviously  you have  a keen ability to point out your issues with Republicans.   Try pointing out your sides issues.   

Your laser beam focus alway  goes one way.   But it is your board.    On quickhands board I can point out my pointed issues. 
I'm not sure what you mean. My original point was pointing out the hypocrisy of Democrats who were outraged by a fake quote against Cuomo supporters. Some of whom were less vocal when Waters actually said the same thing against Trump. 

I try as best I can to be fair as I can. But as I said above, I can surely do better there. 

As we're seeing by the responses, some people's answer to the problem of tribalism and bias is more tribalism and bias.  I don't know how you fix the issue if no one is willing to look in the mirror, Joe.  We're constantly consuming information that demonizes the other side and then throwing zingers at one another as though our side's #### doesn't stink. It's sad and frustrating to watch, but I applaud your efforts to pull ourselves out of the ditch. 
Hang in there @Captain Cranks All we can do is keep doing what we can do. 

Direct Headline: Bank at center of Waters controversy got $12 million bailout despite reviews

By Susan Crabtree - 09/15/10 11:53 PM EDT

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/119099-bank-at-center-of-waters-controversy-got-12m-bailout

VIDEO: Melanie Sloan Discusses the Maxine Waters Trial (8/9/10) •Aug 10, 2010

...Maxine Waters Ethics Trial on Special Report with Bret Baier (8/9/2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFRl-xuH5Q

After the Sarah Huckabee Sanders incident, Waters essentially doubled down immediately and endorsed what happened with Sanders, i.e. the open threat to her children. And she made sure a corrupt bank, that had her husband on it's board, got 12 million in TARP bailout money, which comes from my tax dollars, your tax dollars, the tax dollars of everyone here and will be footed even by our grandchildren's tax dollars. This bank's survival, despite it's own corruption and incompetence, meant protecting her own financial investment and where key members of the bank's hierarchy did campaign fundraising for her and contributed to her political campaigns.

She didn't just call for the death of the sitting President by talking about "taking him out" but she made it a point, during one of the worst financial eras in American economic history, to LOOT YOUR MONEY AND LOOT YOUR GRANDCHILDREN'S MONEY FOR HER OWN PROFIT AND HER OWN POLITICAL INTERESTS.

Is that enough Maxine Waters related looting for you?
None of the above unrelated links and quotes had anything to do with Tim's claims that Waters actively encouraged looters and acts of violence.

None of the above unrelated links and quotes had anything to do with Tim's claims that Waters actively encouraged looters and acts of violence.
Direct Headline: Waters Has Shoveled Over $1 Million in Campaign Cash to Daughter

Joe Schoffstall - January 29, 2021 5:40 PM

https://freebeacon.com/politics/waters-has-shoveled-over-1-million-in-campaign-cash-to-daughter/

Direct Headline: Maxine Waters hit with FEC complaint over mailer money

By Fred Lucas | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/maxine-waters-hit-with-fec-complaint-over-mailer-money

Direct Headline: Reporter Confronts Maxine Waters About Her Russian Investments “That’s a Lie!”

By Cristina Laila July 14, 2017 at 10:01pm

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/07/hilarious-reporter-confronts-maxine-waters-russian-investments-thats-lie-video/

The point I'm making is hypocrisy, which the original post subject matter is highlighting. There is a clear difference between Maxine Waters and "her money" and her indifference to "everyone else's money". Hypocrisy doesn't just stop at one issue, it tends to manifest itself as a full pattern of overall behavior.

From 2004 to currently, Waters has allegedly paid, in excess of $1.13 million, to her daughter, Karen Waters (Progressive Connections PR Firm)  for producing campaign mailers that ended up being audited by the Federal Election Commission. Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein ( among many from the DNC) paid in excess of the legal limit of $2,700 to an individual campaign and/or $5,000 to a PAC via this loophole to essentially buy an endorsement.

Of course, while Waters criticizes Trump for being a Russian operative, she has over $200,000 in Russian-linked retirement investments. That doesn't sound like hypocrisy does it?

But let's unpack this "acts of violence" storyline a little further, shall we?

Direct Headline: Maxine Waters: L.A. Riots Were an ‘Insurrection,’ ‘Defining Moment’ in Black Resistance

Alex Griswold - April 27, 2017 5:05 PM

https://freebeacon.com/issues/maxine-waters-l-a-riots-insurrection-defining-moment-black-resistance/

Direct Headline: Maxine Waters Classifies Term ‘Rioting’ as ‘Negative Language … Used Against Black People

Hannah Bleau 4 Jun 2020

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), in an interview published Wednesday, explained why she rejects the term “rioting” in describing violent protests, contending that the word is part of “negative language used far too often in a description of black people by folks who fundamentally don’t see black people the same way they see whites and others.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/06/04/maxine-waters-classifies-term-rioting-as-negative-language-used-against-black-people/

Direct Headline: Is Maxine Waters Liable?… Conservatives Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens Attacked by Leftist Mob at Restaurant

On Monday morning far left thugs harassed and abused Turning Point’s Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk at breakfast in Philly. This comes after Democrat mouthpiece and Representative Maxine Waters (D-CA) called on fellow Democrats to harass and abuse Republicans at restaurants, at gas stations, and anywhere out in public.

By Jim Hoft August 6, 2018 at 9:51am

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/08/is-maxine-waters-liable-conservatives-charlie-kirk-and-candace-owens-attacked-by-leftist-mob-at-restaurant-video/

(VIDEO)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnqiVqiF9kk

(VIDEO)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEm3tYZVu-g

Direct Headline: Maxine Waters Brags That She Threatens Trump Supporters ‘All the Time’

By Cassandra Fairbanks  September 10, 2018 at 11:48am

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/09/watch-crazy-maxine-waters-says-she-threatens-trump-supporters-all-the-time/

Direct Headline: Conservative Reporter Laura Loomer Presses Assault Charges Against Maxine Waters

By Cristina Laila June 26, 2018 at 11:04pm

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/06/conservative-reporter-laura-loomer-presses-assault-charges-against-maxine-waters/

Direct Headline: Maxine Waters: Trump Causing Me to Get Death Threats, Can’t Even Go To The Grocery Store

Rusty Weiss October 5, 2019

https://menrec.com/maxine-waters-trump-causing-me-to-get-death-threats-cant-even-go-to-the-grocery-store/

Let's see if we can all get this straight, the 1992 Los Angeles riots had more than 50 people were killed plus countless injuries and over one billion dollars in property damage was labeled just an "insurrection" but a "milestone" by Maxine Waters. She doubles down and cites the term "rioting" as type of language that persecutes black people. (Never mind what the dictionary says....) She's OK with this type of violence but complains that Trump is "setting her up ( to be killed)" and how she can't even go buy food, from posh grocery stores, highlighting the issue that she doesn't even live in her own district, she lives in one of the wealthiest districts in California.  She also complains how she has to pay for personal security, never mind no one was there to protect those 50 people killed in the LA Riots, and won't acknowledge her own complicity in generating the antagonism that makes her a target. ( I am not condoning violence, but you can't just say whatever you want and expect zero consequences for those inciting words) She goes on to brag that she threatens Trump supporters all the time and yet wonders why she's getting threats. Journalist Laura Loomer filed an assault charge against Waters with the Capitol Police, saying Waters hit her in the face twice when she didn't like a question Loomer was asking. After Waters call for confrontation of Trump supporters, Charlie Kirk and Candace Owens are targeted in public. Owens points out racist language was used against her during the incident.

Anyone else want to talk more about Maxine Waters and the issue of violence?

If the criminals and loons in D.C. would stop putting party over people at all costs things would get better.  Plus social media needs to die a quick death.

There is too much made-up fake information that people fall for so easily.  There are doctored videos, fake quotes and just complete made up ####.

The party over everyone has now carried into everyday life more than not.  I've always lived by a rule that if you have a bunch of political signs and stickers we're probably not going to get along  :)

Everyone "LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID BLAH BLAH"  - I cant recall the last time a candidate just talked issues with a plan.....   

And there is way too much click bait fear mongering that people grab on too.

WE ARE GOING TO BECOME A SOCIALIST REGIME!@#!@#    

THEY ARE ALL RACISTS!@#!@#

Parsing out my own reply to this from the weekend. @Joe Bryantcheck out the sourcing thread for proof of concept...no, I am not "reporting people", just pointing out that thread is exactly what I meant with this post.  Almost half of the thread replies are about a poster rather than even trying to address the topic.  I suspect had you posted the topic Joe (as you have in the past addressed it bringing up the adfontes chart), the reaction would be far different.  As it was different when MT created this thread now buried at the end of this subforum.

I wish that for once a party, media, FBGs Political Forum, etc.  would condemn members of their own party when they're out of line instead of all of the whataboutisms.

And before anyone comments, yes WE ALL DO IT!

I wish that for once a party, media, FBGs Political Forum, etc.  would condemn members of their own party when they're out of line instead of all of the whataboutisms.

And before anyone comments, yes WE ALL DO IT!
I dunno. I think a lot -- and I mean a lot -- of former Republicans and conservatives have done so with the recent spate of things. I know I have.

This is another great example as to why our form of government is so awesome. A republic with checks and balances, a house and a senate, a presidency, federal/state/local governments, the bureaucracy... It's not very pretty, and we wish it would do more of the good functions of government (there aren't many) and less of the bad functions (there are a lot). But like Churchill said, "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"

The best thing about this form is that it allows for characters like Waters, Trump and...ummm, "others"...to be in positions of power but their influence doesn't metastasize but so far. 

The worst thing is that they are now celebrity politicians and they make the media easy money. So they're featured everywhere, which makes us think their opinion is prevalent amongst all Americans. The best thing for us to do is ignore them. 

Let their kind bloviate (what a GREAT word that is) all they want. Then let us, as citizens, go about the real business of making the country work.

Users who are viewing this thread