What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking request- Tragically Hip (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
I have been enjoying the music ranking threads in here. I especially like that they are personal rankings. At times I have trouble keeping up with them I am not sure where some of you find the time. 

I would really love to see someones rankings of The Tragically Hip songs. I am a huge fan but don't have the time to invest in doing this but I would love to read it. 

I prefer a Canadian do this but I will take what I can get.

Iconic Canadian music group that never gained much traction in the U.S. - with the exception of a few cities that were in close proximity to the 49th parallel.

The Tragically Hip: 10 Essential Songs (Rolling Stone)

TOP 15 TRAGICALLY HIP SONGS (Diffuser)

A great catalogue of music.

A few of my personal favourites:

"At the Hundredth Meridian"

"Fifty Mission Cap"

"New Orleans Is Sinking"

"Blow at High Dough"

"38 Years Old"

"Ahead by a Century"

"Wheat Kings”

"Little Bones"

"Grace, Too"

"Bobcaygeon"

Rest in peace, Gord Downie

Love the Hip. I got into them when I was at Penn State. It was crazy that I could see them in Philly or DC playing at an SRO club in front of 200-300 people. If you got there early enough, you could find yourself standing directly in front of Gordie. Then, when I would catch them in Canada, they would be selling out an NHL arena. I actually got to see them in Ottawa on the Man Machine Poem tour in what would be their second to last show. They were just a fantastic band, and I always smile when I see somebody mentioned them around here. 

ETA: I just found out a month or two ago that the Hip have a dedicated station on SiriusXM, fwiw. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into them as a tangent from pearl jam.  EV was a big fan of Gordie.  They were pretty small time in what was maybe 1995? and I got to see them at Trees while still in high school.  Was probably one of my top ten live performance I ever saw.  

They very rarely played the US ever again. I never really figured out why they couldn't get an audience the size of the counting crows or something.  

I got into them as a tangent from pearl jam.  EV was a big fan of Gordie.  They were pretty small time in what was maybe 1995? and I got to see them at Trees while still in high school.  Was probably one of my top ten live performance I ever saw.  

They very rarely played the US ever again. I never really figured out why they couldn't get an audience the size of the counting crows or something.  
I think their high water mark in the US was when they were a musical guest on SNL at (host) Dan Aykroyd‘s request. They played Grace Too and Nautical Disaster. 

Feels like New Orleans is Sinking was their biggest (only?) song to grace US radio airwaves.  I remember that one when I was still in HS (late 80s) and just chalked them up to a one hit wonder, even though I really liked that song.  

Years later I learned how wrong I was and how great they were overall.  Big fan and wish I had seem them live.  

Seahorn

Still don’t get it but haven’t given up. Gord once covered GBV’s Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox live and he’s alright by me for that alone.

I saw them on that same tour in 1995 at Fitzgerald's in Houston. I doubt there were 100 people there.  

When I think of The Hip, I think "Ahead by a Century".  They were a staple in college.  I still have a few of their CDs.

I have seen them live three or four times here in Arizona. They used to play a small club here. I saw them there for Road Apples, Fully Completely, and I feel there was another mixed in there. I love talking about these shows and will expound in the future.

For many years I thought I was part of a cool crowd that got into this band. I never understood why they weren't bigger but I didn't really care because I was getting to see them up close every few years. I was beyond shocked to find out how popular they were in Canada. I was genuinely telling  a woman from Canada about this cool band from Canada I listen to. When I told her the name she looked at me like I was slow. That was when I first heard how popular they were. She did not believe they were playing this small place in Tucson. Remember this is all pre internet so I do have that excuse. At that time I could not get the album Live Between Us here in Arizona. The woman from Canada was a winter snowbird from Canada. The following year when she returned she had a copy of Live Between Us for me.I do love this band and I am thankful for having seen them the way I did. 

I like to think they wrote Gift Shop on one of their trips down here. 

Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder calls Gord Downie ‘very courageous’

Eddie Vedder pays tribute to The Tragically Hip, Gord Downie at Pearl Jam concert

Back in 2016, a buddy and I went to see Mr. Lahey and Randy from Trailer Park Boys do a comedy show at a VFW in Bristol, Tennessee (the No Pants Unpissed tour). I knew that the TPB cast were friends with the Hip, since they appeared in the video for “The Darkest One.”

Well, they were doing a bit on the differences between Canadians and Americans or whatever and during the briefest of pauses, I yelled out “Gord Downie!” John Dunsworth stopped the bit cold and said he wanted to tell the crowd about a great Canadian that many of them had probably never heard of. He talked a little about the Hip for context, but mostly about the work Gordie had done for the First Nations community in documenting the tragedy of their forced cultural assimilation via the residential schools. He then went on to tell them about Gordie‘s illness and how he will always be remembered as a fine musician and a humanitarian. Very cool moment. 

Postscript: I spent the 10 bucks for the meet and greet after the show and when I went up to them, Randy saw my Tragically Hip T-shirt (quite possibly the only one in all of East Tennessee), grinned, and said, “That was you, wasn’t it?”

Back in 2016, a buddy and I went to see Mr. Lahey and Randy from Trailer Park Boys do a comedy show at a VFW in Bristol, Tennessee (the No Pants Unpissed tour). I knew that the TPB cast were friends with the Hip, since they appeared in the video for “The Darkest One.”

Well, they were doing a bit on the differences between Canadians and Americans or whatever and during the briefest of pauses, I yelled out “Gord Downie!” John Dunsworth stopped the bit cold and said he wanted to tell the crowd about a great Canadian that many of them had probably never heard of. He talked a little about the Hip for context, but mostly about the work Gordie had done for the First Nations community in documenting the tragedy of their forced cultural assimilation via the residential schools. He then went on to tell them about Gordie‘s illness and how he will always be remembered as a fine musician and a humanitarian. Very cool moment. 

Postscript: I spent the 10 bucks for the meet and greet after the show and when I went up to them, Randy saw my Tragically Hip T-shirt (quite possibly the only one in all of East Tennessee), grinned, and said, “That was you, wasn’t it?”
That's a great GREAT story.  Thanks for sharing that. 

I think the lists above cover it well, but my university career wouldn't have been the same without Road Apples and Fully Completely.  Both of those albums are fantastic.

If I only had a few songs to choose:

• Blow at High Dough
  • New Orleans is Sinking
  • Fifty Mission Cap
  • Wheat Kings
  • Nautical Disaster

I half-remember a joke by Dennis Miller? David Spade? Norm McDonald? about Eddie Van Halen needing a hip replacement, but only being able to find Gary Cherone.
:lmao: lol.

So sad about Gord Downie. Just a band that missed America's consciousness. RIP.

They toured the US just about every year. Kind of the opposite of very rarely, no?

rockaction said:
:lmao: lol.

So sad about Gord Downie. Just a band that missed America's consciousness. RIP.
I'll take flak in this thread, but I think most Americans were vaguely aware of them, heard a couple songs from Road Apples or Fully Completely, and just shrugged and listened to something else.  My brother was a hockey player playing with a bunch of Canadians, so he brought those albums home, and I listened a few times, liked them, and never thought about the band again.  They were just kind of... Big Head Todd and the Monsters or Gin Blossoms.  I don't mind hearing their songs, can listen to a whole album, but never really sought them out or anything.  Kind of vanilla.

I'll take flak in this thread, but I think most Americans were vaguely aware of them, heard a couple songs from Road Apples or Fully Completely, and just shrugged and listened to something else.  My brother was a hockey player playing with a bunch of Canadians, so he brought those albums home, and I listened a few times, liked them, and never thought about the band again.  They were just kind of... Big Head Todd and the Monsters or Gin Blossoms.  I don't mind hearing their songs, can listen to a whole album, but never really sought them out or anything.  Kind of vanilla.
That's ok

I mean if you must do a comparison, for better or worse they're pretty clearly R.E.M.

Iconic, poetic, eventually bald frontman. Sort of college rock, sort of mainstream. Pretty weird for the most part but can also write a straight forward radio song. Carry on a long time after their commercial peak writing great songs, even if no one pays attention. 

I mean if you must do a comparison, for better or worse they're pretty clearly R.E.M.

Iconic, poetic, eventually bald frontman. Sort of college rock, sort of mainstream. Pretty weird for the most part but can also write a straight forward radio song. Carry on a long time after their commercial peak writing great songs, even if no one pays attention. 
I have a hard time placing them.  It's sort of like OAR.  Are they good?  Yeah for sure.  Is it something you seek out?  Nah. They rotate thru on spotify you roll with it.  Like some bands in this sort of space their radio songs haven't aged well but their non radio songs have.  I will say most of my hip listening are youtube whole concert videos, I'm only vaguely aware of what songs are on what albums. 

I have a hard time placing them.  It's sort of like OAR.  Are they good?  Yeah for sure.  Is it something you seek out?  Nah. They rotate thru on spotify you roll with it.  Like some bands in this sort of space their radio songs haven't aged well but their non radio songs have.  I will say most of my hip listening are youtube whole concert videos, I'm only vaguely aware of what songs are on what albums. 
It is really interesting to me how subjective music is to folks. I read this and I feel you are talking about a different band.

It is really interesting to me how subjective music is to folks. I read this and I feel you are talking about a different band.
Really?  I dunno, I find their full concert recordings the most enjoyable way to listen to them.  Their studio stuff always lacked character.  I feel the opposite way about other bands.

I would deploy my @Smoosignal, but IIRC, his two favourite artists are Debbie Gibson and Sigue Sique Sputnik.
The Tragically Hip are overplayed overrated crap.

Also, Sigue Sigue Sputnik are not among my favorites. They're good, but calling them a favorite would be a reach. If you want a British pop band, Pet Shop Boys or Duran Duran would be a closer match.

Smoo said:
The Tragically Hip are overplayed overrated crap.

Also, Sigue Sigue Sputnik are not among my favorites. They're good, but calling them a favorite would be a reach. If you want a British pop band, Pet Shop Boys or Duran Duran would be a closer match.
SMOO!!!!!!!!

Big REM fan here, and I had come to that exact same conclusion. With pretty much the same reasoning. 

There's a small chance I'd like their music better if they sung in English, but only a very small one.

Users who are viewing this thread