Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Marjorie Taylor Greene Thread

28 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Yeah, well we know what disease affected the DNC too.  Guess he got us all.

What about those of us who aren’t in a party, but are disgusted by Trump and his supporters antics? What disease do we have?

1 hour ago, Snorkelson said:

She sounds like Fran drescher and looks like Bobby “the brain” Heenan.

19 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Hard no. Disgusting.  

16 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

All yours

Never said she was good looking - she’s just crazy.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:10 PM, AAABatteries said:

I think Jesus did that outside the Pharisees office in Third Corinthians.

Which actually fulfills a prophecy from Hezekiah, chapter 7: "Thou shall knock upon the door, but if thy enemy dost answer not, ye shall return to the pit."

• Laughing 1

Whenever she speaks, I keep waiting to hear 'CUT' and someone with the camera start to pan away showing us this is nothing more than a horrible attempt at humor.  Sadly, I haven't heard 'CUT' yet.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sea Duck said:

If someone posted that stuff here they would obviously get a TO but I would just assume they were trolling.  But I think that woman is dead serious - I don’t think she’s playing politics, I think she’s just grossly misinformed and honestly a person with vile beliefs.

Edited by AAABatteries

9 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:
1 hour ago, Sea Duck said:

If someone posted that stuff here they would obviously get a TO but I would just assume they were trolling.  But I think that woman is dead serious - I don’t think she’s playing politics, I think she’s just grossly misinformed and honestly a person with vile beliefs.

I disagree that she's misinformed.

She has the proper information.

She just chooses to use that information to craft an ongoing narrative which paints herself and her supporters as victims and martyrs. IMO, the narrative is designed with intent to both troll her detractors and wink towards those who sympathize with certain beliefs.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

I disagree that she's misinformed.

She has the proper information.

She just chooses to use that information to craft an ongoing narrative which paints herself and her supporters as victims and martyrs. IMO, the narrative is designed with intent to both troll her detractors and wink towards those who sympathize with certain beliefs.

I mean on other topics and not this one, just to be clear. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, popeye said:

Whenever she speaks, I keep waiting to hear 'CUT' and someone with the camera start to pan away showing us this is nothing more than a horrible attempt at humor.  Sadly, I haven't heard 'CUT' yet.

I keep waiting for her to turn and say "Live from New York...."

• Like 1

Its OK that people have a different opinions.  Its the citizens role to vote in the people who they believe will serve them best.

• Thanks 1

I don’t understand why the media give her the attention she craves when she makes outlandish statements. 

it’s the same as Trump. The media could not look away when he spoke in 2015, and that elevated his status to God-like. 

19 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I don’t understand why the media give her the attention she craves when she makes outlandish statements. 

it’s the same as Trump. The media could not look away when he spoke in 2015, and that elevated his status to God-like. 

Because the media likes trainwrecks, no different than a bad reality show.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, whoknew said:

What is her appeal? Like why is she so popular with the base? Is it just an "own the libs" thing?

Owning libs.

Kind of hot in an 80s hair band groupie way.

Pwnig libs.

She loves Trump.

She stands for alot things politically they find attractive. 

3 hours ago, belljr said:

Please don't ban me but she's a moron.

Owning the other side is the dumbest reason to like a politician.

But I hate both parties equally

From a marketing standpoint, she's not a moron. I don't like her and there's nothing to like about her but that's actually intentional.

If you look at MTG's background, she has no actual accomplishment and/or success of her own that would lend itself to established checkmarks of political leverage and/or political capital. For example, Mark Kelly is a former astronaut. His career choice is actual political capital. That's a Democratic Party example. Dan Crenshaw and his Special Forces service record is a Republican Party example.

MTG is an older heterosexual white woman who entered her first term and it wasn't like she took her district by storm. Being a heterosexual white woman in professional politics today has close to zero political capital. Lots of heterosexual white women are trying to get into politics to compete with lots of heterosexual white women already in politics.

She's not a charismatic speaker. She doesn't come from political legacy nor an old money family. She doesn't come from a family name associated with "Pseudo American Royalty" like an DuPont or a Rothschild or a Kennedy. She won't get big money donors like Nikki Haley has in support of her Super PAC. She doesn't have a good American Idol type tear jerking story to push into the press.

In order to get into and stay in the daily media cycle, she's relying solely on shock marketing. Maxine Waters does the same thing. The exact same thing, but because Waters uses the "angry black grandmother" trope, no one can push too far on Waters without identity politics come to her defense ( If you don't like Waters, you must be a racist)

If you are talking about MTG, who has accomplished nothing in politics, then her media team has done their job. She is now a "name brand" politician. That's not easy to do when you consider the number of people in the HOR and how many pass through unnoticed.

If you look at evolutionary biology, MTG and her media strategy is actually extremely functional. Do you think when human beings lived in caves and were barely surviving that being ethical had any actual practical value? In a tribe setting, you can't just buck wild against the group lest they cast you out ( and back then, that was a death sentence) but those who were aggressive and calculated opportunists survived. If MTG was a cavewoman and her mate died trying to hunt animals, what are her choices? She can die and her children can die? Or she can angle to take another cavewoman's male mate. Cut her throat. Push her off a ledge. Frame her for stealing food. Badmouth her to the other women. And before anyone thinks this is all about crappy low value cave women, do you think the men were any better? No one wants to believe their ancestors were rapists, but there is a good chance that many of us here today on these forums, way way up the family tree, rape ( back then not seen as today) was common place and might be the only reason your family line exists at all.

MTG is playing a character. No one is that over the top. They can't be and survive day to day life otherwise.

The choice to play this role for marketing purposes, to invade the daily media cycle, means it's a choice to basically be a ########. Douchebags have no formal accomplishments. But she's not a moron. A moron is someone without strategy, even a repugnant one, and it's clear MTG has a strategy in place. The way the DNC uses Maxine Waters as a stalking horse ( to appease the most extreme elements ) and a caricature is actually useful for them. It's why she's still around. She fills a role in political theater. MTG is no different. Having a shock marketing test case can be useful to the RNC as well. MTG can say things that might be true or close to accurate that other politicians won't say because it's too damaging for long term strategy. Think Jose Canseco. He says MLB is totally juiced up. He was right. He had a point. He was also a ######## that nearly all of the rest of the league despised. He was in a position to say what others wouldn't/couldn't say.

Where MTG can become dangerous to the DNC is if she suddenly starts saying things that are true but no one else will say. The Obama and Clinton campaigns turned Joint Finance Agreements into a money laundering operation. No one disputes this. All money donated through Act Blue into the DNC is washed, cycled and laundered and used to promote a bizarre draconian feudal system, in part because establishment Democratic heavy hitters have completely control over the Super Delegates, thus access to the actual DNC ticket. If MTG starts talking about this and won't stop, that's a problem. The reason most Republicans won't do it is because donations through Win Red involves so much dark money and no one wants to cast light on that nor "zombie campaigns" ( i.e. how politicians turn political contributions into a lush retirement fund)

Like a fringe player looking to make an NFL roster, MTG found a role. She's a long snapper if being a political long snapper means being repugnant. I know high level media optics back and forth. I know which campaigns and which politicians have real talent on their Communications teams. I know good versus bad strategy given the situation and politician in place. I would not say this strategy is "good" but I will say it's "effective"  She's repugnant, but just because you are repugnant doesn't mean you are ruled out automatically from being effective. What I just described right now is how Michael Irvin carved out a post football media career out of virtually nothing.

MTG didn't lose when you called her a moron. She won when you talked about her at all in the first place.

3 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

From a marketing standpoint, she's not a moron. I don't like her and there's nothing to like about her but that's actually intentional.

If you look at MTG's background, she has no actual accomplishment and/or success of her own that would lend itself to established checkmarks of political leverage and/or political capital. For example, Mark Kelly is a former astronaut. His career choice is actual political capital. That's a Democratic Party example. Dan Crenshaw and his Special Forces service record is a Republican Party example.

MTG is an older heterosexual white woman who entered her first term and it wasn't like she took her district by storm. Being a heterosexual white woman in professional politics today has close to zero political capital. Lots of heterosexual white women are trying to get into politics to compete with lots of heterosexual white women already in politics.

She's not a charismatic speaker. She doesn't come from political legacy nor an old money family. She doesn't come from a family name associated with "Pseudo American Royalty" like an DuPont or a Rothschild or a Kennedy. She won't get big money donors like Nikki Haley has in support of her Super PAC. She doesn't have a good American Idol type tear jerking story to push into the press.

In order to get into and stay in the daily media cycle, she's relying solely on shock marketing. Maxine Waters does the same thing. The exact same thing, but because Waters uses the "angry black grandmother" trope, no one can push too far on Waters without identity politics come to her defense ( If you don't like Waters, you must be a racist)

If you are talking about MTG, who has accomplished nothing in politics, then her media team has done their job. She is now a "name brand" politician. That's not easy to do when you consider the number of people in the HOR and how many pass through unnoticed.

If you look at evolutionary biology, MTG and her media strategy is actually extremely functional. Do you think when human beings lived in caves and were barely surviving that being ethical had any actual practical value? In a tribe setting, you can't just buck wild against the group lest they cast you out ( and back then, that was a death sentence) but those who were aggressive and calculated opportunists survived. If MTG was a cavewoman and her mate died trying to hunt animals, what are her choices? She can die and her children can die? Or she can angle to take another cavewoman's male mate. Cut her throat. Push her off a ledge. Frame her for stealing food. Badmouth her to the other women. And before anyone thinks this is all about crappy low value cave women, do you think the men were any better? No one wants to believe their ancestors were rapists, but there is a good chance that many of us here today on these forums, way way up the family tree, rape ( back then not seen as today) was common place and might be the only reason your family line exists at all.

MTG is playing a character. No one is that over the top. They can't be and survive day to day life otherwise.

The choice to play this role for marketing purposes, to invade the daily media cycle, means it's a choice to basically be a ########. Douchebags have no formal accomplishments. But she's not a moron. A moron is someone without strategy, even a repugnant one, and it's clear MTG has a strategy in place. The way the DNC uses Maxine Waters as a stalking horse ( to appease the most extreme elements ) and a caricature is actually useful for them. It's why she's still around. She fills a role in political theater. MTG is no different. Having a shock marketing test case can be useful to the RNC as well. MTG can say things that might be true or close to accurate that other politicians won't say because it's too damaging for long term strategy. Think Jose Canseco. He says MLB is totally juiced up. He was right. He had a point. He was also a ######## that nearly all of the rest of the league despised. He was in a position to say what others wouldn't/couldn't say.

Where MTG can become dangerous to the DNC is if she suddenly starts saying things that are true but no one else will say. The Obama and Clinton campaigns turned Joint Finance Agreements into a money laundering operation. No one disputes this. All money donated through Act Blue into the DNC is washed, cycled and laundered and used to promote a bizarre draconian feudal system, in part because establishment Democratic heavy hitters have completely control over the Super Delegates, thus access to the actual DNC ticket. If MTG starts talking about this and won't stop, that's a problem. The reason most Republicans won't do it is because donations through Win Red involves so much dark money and no one wants to cast light on that nor "zombie campaigns" ( i.e. how politicians turn political contributions into a lush retirement fund)

Like a fringe player looking to make an NFL roster, MTG found a role. She's a long snapper if being a political long snapper means being repugnant. I know high level media optics back and forth. I know which campaigns and which politicians have real talent on their Communications teams. I know good versus bad strategy given the situation and politician in place. I would not say this strategy is "good" but I will say it's "effective"  She's repugnant, but just because you are repugnant doesn't mean you are ruled out automatically from being effective. What I just described right now is how Michael Irvin carved out a post football media career out of virtually nothing.

MTG didn't lose when you called her a moron. She won when you talked about her at all in the first place.

Fascinating read. Thanks for taking the time. 

• Laughing 2

8 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Because the media likes trainwrecks, no different than a bad reality show.  

Correction, people like trainwrecks and bad reality TV, they are just giving us what we crave.  Americans are addicted to drama.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2021 at 5:36 PM, whoknew said:

What is her appeal? Like why is she so popular with the base? Is it just an "own the libs" thing?

I have come to the conclusion that some  of her base and the GOP are into Beavis and Butthead politics. Crude and rude. Something different and in their minds getting things done. Funny stuff for them. Even includes some who consider themselves Evangelicals.

Yes she will likely easily get re-elected and you don’t have politicians like Gaetz, Jordan and Gohmert who easily get elected if they don’t like their approach.

Edited by lazyike

On 5/14/2021 at 6:31 PM, Snorkelson said:

Drunk or not drunk? Honest question.

I don't even like her, but to be honest she represents a large Red area of Georgia, she will win again in a landslide, in fact with the way the part is now, I wouldn't be shocked if she replaces McCarthy.

She is acting like her voters want her too. 

Top Democrats have discussed whether it's possible for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to seek a restraining order against Marjorie Taylor Greene, including whether she had the legal standing to do so, according to multiple Democratic sources.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/25/gop-leaders-marjorie-taylor-greene-holocaust-rhetoric-490737

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1400916114620702729

Marjorie Taylor Greene wrote the White House, demanding that Fauci’s emails be investigated and that she expects answers by “June 31, 2021”

:lol:

The one that jumps out at me is "Why were safety standard (sic) so lax at the Wuhan Institute of Virology?"

I wonder why she isn't asking the former president about the lax safety standards at the White House during the pandemic?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I see her carnival road show with Matt Gaetz is going swimmingly....

The Matt Gaetz-Marjorie Taylor Greene Fundraising Tour Is Actually a Cash Fire:  https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-matt-gaetz-marjorie-taylor-greene-fundraising-tour-is-actually-a-cash-fire?ref=home?ref=home

At the height of the controversy surrounding Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and the revelations that he’s under investigation for sex trafficking, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) bet big on a nationwide joint fundraising tour with her embattled colleague. But new campaign filings show that not only did the gamble not pay off, but that the much-maligned Republicans actually spent four times as much as they raised.

Greene, the House GOP’s top fundraiser, is now faced with a decision: She can continue to join forces with her beleaguered ally at the expense of her campaign war chest, or she can cut bait and let Gaetz fend for himself.

Since Gaetz and Greene kicked off their joint fundraising committee with a May 7 event at The Villages in central Florida, their campaigns and joint fundraising committee have posted a combined loss of $342,000. And according to recent filings with the Federal Election Commission, that joint fundraising effort, “Put America First,” reported only $59,345.54 in contributions.

That sort of meager haul would be fine for a dinner or one-time event, but Gaetz and Greene have repeatedly held high-profile events and spent a whopping $287,036.19 to hold them—meaning they’re in the hole by more than $225,000.

Both Gaetz and Greene contributed $150,000 apiece from their own campaigns to the joint fundraising committee. And they’ve raised money almost entirely from small-dollar donors. Only four people gave $500 or more to the shared committee. But their campaign tour of some of the most Trump-friendly areas in the nation has been inordinately expensive.

In fact, the big winner from the Gaetz and Greene barnstorming appears to be Gaetz’s PR firm.

The Logan Circle Group, which the campaign hired in early April, made off with more than a million dollars in the second quarter of 2021. While the majority of that money came from Gaetz—$825,000 over the course of one month—the firm nudged past the million-dollar mark with the $250,000 it received from Put America First. Those payments, nearly 90 percent of the committee’s total budget, were for “event production and management,” according to FEC filings.

A Gaetz campaign spokesperson told The Daily Beast that all donations raised on the tour had gone to Put America First. Asked again if that was correct, the spokesperson said it was. Upon double-checking with the campaign’s finance team, the spokesperson would only say that, “Our filings speak for themselves.”

But if the filings speak for themselves, then they’re not saying many good things.

Individually, Gaetz and Greene raised $1.34 million and $1.31 million in the second quarter of 2021, respectively. Those totals are certainly impressive, and Gaetz and Greene could argue that the publicity from their circuit is helping them fundraise individually. Except, they’re not making that argument, and both candidates have actually raised less in this most recent quarter than they did in the first.

Gaetz slipped from $1.82 million in the first months of the year, his personal best. He also spent $1.95 million along the way, the majority of it on fundraising and a pricey public relations scramble to push back against reports about the investigation.

But Greene—whose campaign is easily the biggest money draw among the House GOP—plummeted, coming $1.9 million short of her eye-popping $3.2 million first-quarter haul. After expenses, including travel and fundraising costs, she closed the second quarter with only a $300,000 net gain. She had ended the first quarter up $1.8 million.

A Gaetz spokesperson—who was not affiliated with the Logan Circle Group—defended the three-term congressman’s fundraising performance.

“Despite an endless stream of lies from the media, Congressman Gaetz continues to be among the most prodigious fundraisers in Congress and is the only Republican who doesn’t accept donations from federal lobbyists or PACs,” the spokesperson said in a text message. Gaetz, a three-term congressman representing a deep-red district in the Florida panhandle, hadn’t raised more than a million dollars in a quarter until October 2020.

“He thanks his tens of thousands of donors and promises to always fight for them,” this spokesperson added.

New Docs Show Matt Gaetz Campaign in Full Damage-Control Mode

Greene and Gaetz, arguably the two most controversial House Republicans, were united this spring by scandals that had not only alienated them from the mainstream, but left them isolated within their own party.

At the time, Gaetz was the focus of a string of media reports revealing details about his role in a federal sex crimes investigation, which in addition to the trafficking allegations reportedly extends to a sweeping public corruption probe.

Soon after The New York Times broke the news of the investigation, Gaetz—a self-identifying “Florida man” who wears his loneliness among D.C. colleagues as a badge of courage—found himself even further marooned politically. Only Greene and longtime ally Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) were willing to speak up in his defense.

“When I first got to Washington, the party leaders said ‘Gaetz, it seems to us you’re not really a team player,’ and I said ‘I am, but you’re not my team,’” Gaetz told supporters in his district the day before the Times story ran.

Greene, for her part, had just been bitten twice by her GOP colleagues. In February, House Republicans stripped the conspiracy theorist of her committees, and in April, she was forced to cancel her proposed “America First” caucus amid criticism for its white nationalist rhetoric. Gaetz had signed on to the caucus, and the pair later applied the same moniker to their tour.

Two months in, however, their joint effort appears primarily concerned with fighting gravity. Venues have canceled events in response to public outcry, and after the launch at The Villages the media has largely ignored their whistle-stops.

But Greene, who has shown GOP leadership her value as a fundraising powerhouse, still apparently sees reason to go forward, at least according to the Gaetz campaign. A spokesperson for the Florida Republican told The Daily Beast that Greene had personally committed to future events benefiting the joint committee.

“Congressman Gaetz and Congresswoman Greene look forward to announcing new stops on the America First tour in the coming weeks,” the spokesperson said.

The Greene campaign did not reply to The Daily Beast’s request for comment.

• Laughing 4

• 3 weeks later...

This was her fourth suspension (she claimed that vaccines are "failing").  

Twitter has a 5-strike policy for Covid misinformation.   This one comes with a 7-day time out.   Next one is a permaban.

7 hours ago, -fish- said:

Twitter has a 5-strike policy for Covid misinformation.   This one comes with a 7-day time out.   Next one is a permaban.

It's in the GOP's long term interest that MTG is permanently banned from Twitter. Not because she's toxic and exhausting and trolling for attention, but because she adds to the narrative that Big Social Media should lose Section 230 protections once Nikki Haley gets a Super Majority post 2024.

MTG is a political stalking horse, no more and no less. She's playing a character. She's mediocre at it but the woke radical left is so hell bent on purity tests, that they are giving her an instant platform.

She's literally the Mike Mamula of professional politics. She's so far above her actual punching weight because she's got a decent enough media team to drive through ham fisted 4th rate shock marketing as a strategy. 

In terms of running a high level long con, I have to give her credit. This isn't easy to pull off, being a "name brand" politician in her first term with literally no credentials nor a functional leveraged resource base nor a true financial campaign warchest to support any of it.

If I was running the RNC's media optics, I'd want MTG to get the full time boot from Twitter. In fact, if Jack Dorsey was dumb enough to do that, he'd be playing right into my hands.

MTG is a pawn on a political chess board. Why some of you are celebrating why a pawn is expendable in a larger overall strategy is beyond me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, -fish- said:

Has she said whether or not she is vaccinated?  I'd be willing to bet she is.