What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl Menu - Pandemic edition (1 Viewer)

Nick Vermeil

Footballguy
Hi tried to find the master thread but couldn’t find it. Do we want to bump it or have a special one off?  I need inspiration. 

Only 6 of us sitting out on our deck but I have a huge party every year and since the Bucs are in it I can’t let up now. 

3 racks of ribs 

smoked chicken 

homemade bacon 

baked beans on the smoker 

potato salad 

picked red onions 

and my wife makes two cupcakes every year to represent the cities playing but F Kansas City — for the beloved Bucs, Guava and cheese cupcake and then a tres leches with a coffee buttercream cupcake. 

Probably will be enough food for 15 people (I’d usually make 6 racks) so people are taking home leftovers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 6 of us sitting out on our deck but I have a huge party every year and since the Bucs are in it I can’t let up now. 

3 racks of ribs 

smoked chicken 

homemade bacon 

baked beans on the smoker 

potato salad 

picked red onions 

and my wife makes two cupcakes every year to represent the cities playing but F Kansas City — for the beloved Bucs, Guava and cheese cupcake and then a tres leches with a coffee buttercream cupcake. 

Probably will be enough food for 15 people (I’d usually make 6 racks) so people are taking home leftovers. 
How do you do up the homemade bacon?

How do you do up the homemade bacon?
Got a big pork belly with my rub on it in the fridge right now — before I put it on the smoker I’ll hit it with a little honey and some more brown sugar, then I smoke it on Saturday for about 2.5 hours at 275. Let it cool and then put it in the fridge overnight. Then I slice it and pan fry it in the cast iron the next day. It’s super easy and you wouldn’t believe how good it is. 

Got a big pork belly with my rub on it in the fridge right now — before I put it on the smoker I’ll hit it with a little honey and some more brown sugar, then I smoke it on Saturday for about 2.5 hours at 275. Let it cool and then put it in the fridge overnight. Then I slice it and pan fry it in the cast iron the next day. It’s super easy and you wouldn’t believe how good it is. 
Sounds amazing! 

We've done Sunday dinners with my mom and in-laws throughout all this nonsense. That's essentially our "bubble", with us also buying groceries for all them as well. Anyway, usually Sunday is our time to try new dishes and recipes that we'd like to serve some day at the pub we want to open but this week we're going straight super bowl.

Chili

Wings

Pizza

Nachos/Dips

...and vegan variations of each as well because that's what there would be at our pub (and because Mrs NV is vegan). I may consider the baked beans / potato salad options as well, my wife's family is from England and they have the blandest tastes in the world, so chili and any sort of heat on the wings are out for them but whatever it's the super bowl, they'll eat what I serve..

Going ham and cheese sliders easy recipe we got online a few years back, chips and guac and picked and some little taco things I picked up at Trader Joe’s that look decent. Booze undecided. Just me and the wife so will be mellow on the alcohol intake.

Ribs and Wings...some homemade baked mac and cheese...roasted cauliflower

One rack with my typical dry rub.

The other I will finish with a chipotle BBQ glaze.

Wings...probably doing half with a typical rub then toss a few each in sauces of various heats...then a few I will let marinate in sesame oil, garlic, and ginger...finished off with a spicy chili garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar glaze.

A big platter of chili-cheese fries.  I was contemplating all kinds of different things and I had mentioned to Mrs. Swanson that I wanted to try Alton Brown's baked potato fries but I just wasn't settled on what to make with them.  Nothing was clicking. Then we sat down to dinner of some killer chili I made yesterday and we realized we've got waaaaaay too much of it for the two of us.  So she suggested a big pile of chili cheese fries with some of the smoked cheddar we made a couple weeks ago.  Sold! Will be just the two of us so it's perfect.

A big platter of chili-cheese fries.  I was contemplating all kinds of different things and I had mentioned to Mrs. Swanson that I wanted to try Alton Brown's baked potato fries but I just wasn't settled on what to make with them.  Nothing was clicking. Then we sat down to dinner of some killer chili I made yesterday and we realized we've got waaaaaay too much of it for the two of us.  So she suggested a big pile of chili cheese fries with some of the smoked cheddar we made a couple weeks ago.  Sold! Will be just the two of us so it's perfect.
Thanks - we have leftover chili as well so this is now what I’ll be making as well.  Thanks for the idea.

You have a recipe for the killer chili?

You have a recipe for the killer chili?
I do.  It's super simple. No secret ingredients here.

5 #’s chuck roast or short ribs, cubed into ⅜” cubes

20 dried red chiles (Mesilla Valley/Hatch Preferred, Guajillo OK substitute, final heat dependent on peppers)

1 large sweet onion, diced

6 garlic cloves, ½ for pepper sauce, ½ minced for saute

Mexican Oregano

1 28 oz can Cento whole roma tomatoes

1 14 oz can Mutti cherry tomatoes

1 quart beef stock (home made preferred)

Salt

Thyme

Cheddar Cheese

Green Onions

Sour cream

Cube 2#’s (or more up to 5#’s if eliminating beans) of chuck roast into ⅜” cubes.  Seal in vacuum bag and sous vide at 135 for 24 hours.

Rehydrate chiles in water on stove. Remove stems and seeds, bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes.  Add chiles to blender along with a cup or so of the boiling water and a few garlic cloves and some mexican oregano.  Blend until silky smooth in a good blender like Vitamix.

Remove beef from sous vide and sear in 8 qt dutch oven in a little oil just until browned. No need to cook. Remove when done. Reserve beef juice from sous vide bag.

Saute onions until just tender in dutch oven.  Add garlic when near end.

Deglaze dutch oven with beef juice from sous vide bag and get all the fond mixed in.

Add can of whole roma tomatoes and can of cherry tomatoes. Crush up the whole tomatoes into chunks but leave the cherry tomatoes whole.

Add beef.

Add blended peppers.

Add 1 quart beef stock.

Add cumin, mexican oregano, thyme, salt.

Simmer an hour or two to thicken as needed.

If not hot enough, heat can be increased with pure fresh ground hot peppers, NOT store bought "chili" powder.  If it's already too hot then put on a brave face and power through.

For a more "authentic" chili experience, eliminate the tomatoes and double the chili sauce. I like the brightness to the tomatoes bring and I like the texture the cherry tomatoes add.  Some break up, other stay pretty much whole.

Serve with masa corn bread, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions.

I do.  It's super simple. No secret ingredients here.

5 #’s chuck roast or short ribs, cubed into ⅜” cubes

20 dried red chiles (Mesilla Valley/Hatch Preferred, Guajillo OK substitute, final heat dependent on peppers)

1 large sweet onion, diced

6 garlic cloves, ½ for pepper sauce, ½ minced for saute

Mexican Oregano

1 28 oz can Cento whole roma tomatoes

1 14 oz can Mutti cherry tomatoes

1 quart beef stock (home made preferred)

Salt

Thyme

Cheddar Cheese

Green Onions

Sour cream

Cube 2#’s (or more up to 5#’s if eliminating beans) of chuck roast into ⅜” cubes.  Seal in vacuum bag and sous vide at 135 for 24 hours.

Rehydrate chiles in water on stove. Remove stems and seeds, bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes.  Add chiles to blender along with a cup or so of the boiling water and a few garlic cloves and some mexican oregano.  Blend until silky smooth in a good blender like Vitamix.

Remove beef from sous vide and sear in 8 qt dutch oven in a little oil just until browned. No need to cook. Remove when done. Reserve beef juice from sous vide bag.

Saute onions until just tender in dutch oven.  Add garlic when near end.

Deglaze dutch oven with beef juice from sous vide bag and get all the fond mixed in.

Add can of whole roma tomatoes and can of cherry tomatoes. Crush up the whole tomatoes into chunks but leave the cherry tomatoes whole.

Add beef.

Add blended peppers.

Add 1 quart beef stock.

Add cumin, mexican oregano, thyme, salt.

Simmer an hour or two to thicken as needed.

If not hot enough, heat can be increased with pure fresh ground hot peppers, NOT store bought "chili" powder.  If it's already too hot then put on a brave face and power through.

For a more "authentic" chili experience, eliminate the tomatoes and double the chili sauce. I like the brightness to the tomatoes bring and I like the texture the cherry tomatoes add.  Some break up, other stay pretty much whole.

Serve with masa corn bread, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions.
Judge Smails would like a word with you.  Shots fired!

Pregame:

Cheese platter

spicy sausage cheese dip

various IPAs from local places

Halftime dinner:

Maryland crab soup

Steak and lobster

Desert:

Wine until we pass out or end up in a domestic disturbance. 

I dunno.   I usually make a vat of queso but I am not going to a party of any significance this year.  Probably just going to my parents and will order a pizza.  Maybe cheese/crackers as an appetizer.  I'll drink 3-4 beers tops.

If my dad, who's in chemo, isn't feeling up to it, I'll just watch at home and will eat whatever I have in the house.  

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Pregame:

Cheese platter

spicy sausage cheese dip

various IPAs from local places

Halftime dinner:

Maryland crab soup

Steak and lobster

Desert:

Wine until we pass out or end up in a domestic disturbance. 
Willing to share the recipe for the sausage cheese dip?  And is that a crackers and tortilla chip dip for you?  Thanks!

I dunno.   I usually make a vat of queso but I am not going to a party of any significance this year.  Probably just going to my parents and will order a pizza.  Maybe cheese/crackers as an appetizer.  I'll drink 3-4 beers tops.

If my dad, who's in chemo, isn't feeling up to it, I'll just watch at home and will eat whatever I have in the house.  
Vato Queso was my mashup cover bad of Los Skarnales and The String Cheese Incident.

We are having a SOUPer Bowl party.  I can't cook at all.  I looked at @Ron Swanson 's chili recipe and thought "that doesn't look super simple at all".  It does sound delicious.  Anyone have a souper simple soup I can do?  I really don't even care if it is a canned soup that I can add other stuff in. 

We are having a SOUPer Bowl party.  I can't cook at all.  I looked at @Ron Swanson 's chili recipe and thought "that doesn't look super simple at all".  It does sound delicious.  Anyone have a souper simple soup I can do?  I really don't even care if it is a canned soup that I can add other stuff in. 
I have a chicken taco soup that is really just  shredding some chicken and opening 5 or 6 cans. 

Certainly some vortex wings and maybe some armadillo eggs (haven't made it a while). 

Might also go to Costco and see if they have any Japanese A5 grade wagyu. Was watching a YouTube video yesterday of a guy who picked up some at his Costco. Apparently due to the pandemic they are shipping it to large wholesale stores to move it because it isn't selling like it normally would. 

Users who are viewing this thread