What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco teacher says Bernie Sanders' mittens epitomized White 'male privilege' (1 Viewer)

My initial thought is that the whole idea is ridiculous.

However, upon deeper reflection, I suppose it's possible that Sanders' "privilege" did allow him and/or make him feel entitled to wear casual clothing at a presidential inauguration.......but that privilege was based entirely on Bernie's political status (longtime Senator) and his age (OAF), not his skin color.

So, by improperly playing the race card, the teacher herself was displaying racial prejudice.

The point of the SF Chronicle editorial is to ask why does media focus on the meme of Bernie when the focus of the day should be on Biden or Harris or making it through the changeover. There was a lot of news that day but Bernie's image was everywhere. IMO this is more about the media's laziness, but that is the point of the actual editorial.

It's an easy target for the Fox News outrage post the OP linked. If you cared enough to read the Fox News post I'd encourage you to read the editorial instead to remove any bias. You will still find it stupid, but perhaps no longer be upset enough to care about it. 

FWIW, the word "epitomizes" that Fox uses in the title is not used in the editorial. Instead they use the word "subtle."

The point of the SF Chronicle editorial is to ask why does media focus on the meme of Bernie when the focus of the day should be on Biden or Harris or making it through the changeover. There was a lot of news that day but Bernie's image was everywhere. IMO this is more about the media's laziness, but that is the point of the actual editorial.

It's an easy target for the Fox News outrage post the OP linked. If you cared enough to read the Fox News post I'd encourage you to read the editorial instead to remove any bias. You will still find it stupid, but perhaps no longer be upset enough to care about it. 

FWIW, the word "epitomizes" that Fox uses in the title is not used in the editorial. Instead they use the word "subtle."
Yes, let's all waste our time reading stupid, sanctimonious bull####.

The point of the SF Chronicle editorial is to ask why does media focus on the meme of Bernie when the focus of the day should be on Biden or Harris or making it through the changeover.
I might buy that except that the lady used phrases like "monochromatic ensembles of pure power" (to describe the attire of the women present) and "I puzzled and fumed" (to describe her frustration that no one else seemed to understand her worldview). It's such a classic example of woke virtue signaling liberal elitism that it could have been ripped straight from the Onion.

(But I do agree that Fox was exploiting the article for their daily dose of dividing the country. I like the added touch of adding a comment section where they bring in their conservative media buddies for a roundtable of mocking. It's like they don't trust their own readers to reach the proper conclusion, so they bring in a few ringers to signal how people are supposed to feel. Can't wait for the pattern to repeat on upcoming episodes of Hannity, Igraham and Carlson.)

You really have to sit through a 30-second ad to listen to leftwing drivel?   No thanks.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There are about 200M adults in the US.  If 1% of adults hold bizarre and delusional beliefs, that's 2M nuts out there.  In the olden days, you would bump into one of those people from time to time but it probably wasn't a regular occurrence.  Today, though, those people have access to social media.  It turns out that nuts are drawn to hot takes, and the social media infrastructure operates as if it were intentionally designed to amplify these folks.  Sane, level-headed analysis gets read and forgotten, but crazy-wild insanity gets re-tweeted to the heavens.  

There's nothing wrong with laughing at this person -- it's probably healthy to laugh off nutty opinions.  But it's not healthy to turn episodes like this into a Two Minutes Hate, because mathematically somebody similarly nutty is going to show up in your feed basically every day and it's not good for anyone's psychological well-being to walk around outraged all the time.

There are about 200M adults in the US.  If 1% of adults hold bizarre and delusional beliefs, that's 2M nuts out there.  In the olden days, you would bump into one of those people from time to time but it probably wasn't a regular occurrence.  Today, though, those people have access to social media.  It turns out that nuts are drawn to hot takes, and the social media infrastructure operates as if it were intentionally designed to amplify these folks.  Sane, level-headed analysis gets read and forgotten, but crazy-wild insanity gets re-tweeted to the heavens.  

There's nothing wrong with laughing at this person -- it's probably healthy to laugh off nutty opinions.  But it's not healthy to turn episodes like this into a Two Minutes Hate, because mathematically somebody similarly nutty is going to show up in your feed basically every day and it's not good for anyone's psychological well-being to walk around outraged all the time.
The bolded is a real hot take you've got there.  :P

I say this all the time.   I'm not sure if people are getting more crazy or if it's just easier to put it "out there" as it were.

The problem is that sane level-headed analysis does not exist.  The supposedly sane level-headed people (academia, media, political leaders)  spend all their time examining and magnifying these freaks and using them to condemn all people who are aligned to a different political perspective.  The American people are being feed a grossly distorted picture.

Not just that...major outlets or even those that are more fringe but still have a following...make "news" out of it.  Giving the nuts even more voice than before.  To the point the "crazy" views are now in congress more so than before IMO.  We can agree and disagree on what is crazy right or left policy wise...but surely we can agree that alien lasers and Qanon stuff is a bit different.

And yeah...what she said was ridiculous to take as far as she did.  There is a softer point there of a double standard of men vs. women though.  I don't think a woman dressed as "casually" would necessarily have been as celebrated as Bernie was.  It was a definite contrast to what we saw from the other men...but even more so with what the women were wearing.  I think there is a better point to be made than what the teacher made...that we do worry more about what women wear.  Do we worry much about what men wear for such events (I mean...outside of the Obama Tan Suit)?

Do I think Bernie was trying to make any point or demonstrate anything?  No.  I think he is an old guy that was making sure he was warm and comfortable and doesn't really care what other people think about his appearance.  Does he have that luxury because he is white?  No.  Because he is a man?  Maybe.

The problem is that sane level-headed analysis does not exist.  The supposedly sane level-headed people (academia, media, political leaders)  spend all their time examining and magnifying these freaks and using them to condemn all people who are aligned to a different political perspective.  The American people are being feed a grossly distorted picture.
I don't think the bolded is true and I think it goes exactly to Ivan's point.  Lots of sane, level-headed analysis exists, and lots of the "supposedly sane, level-headed people" are performing the proper analysis and response.  The issue is that the correct analysis and response is to simply ignore it, but when 90% or 95% or 99% ignore it, there's no tweet or Facebook post or article showing that John Doe specifically ignored it.  It's only the overreactions that appear in our feeds.  Those overreactions, and the counter-reactions to those overreactions, are then what generates clicks.  All of this goes back to Ivan's point.  Even when 99% of the world reacts appropriately, it's the 1% that the rest of us need to shrug off and ignore.

I might buy that except that the lady used phrases like "monochromatic ensembles of pure power" (to describe the attire of the women present) and "I puzzled and fumed" (to describe her frustration that no one else seemed to understand her worldview). It's such a classic example of woke virtue signaling liberal elitism that it could have been ripped straight from the Onion.

(But I do agree that Fox was exploiting the article for their daily dose of dividing the country. I like the added touch of adding a comment section where they bring in their conservative media buddies for a roundtable of mocking. It's like they don't trust their own readers to reach the proper conclusion, so they bring in a few ringers to signal how people are supposed to feel. Can't wait for the pattern to repeat on upcoming episodes of Hannity, Igraham and Carlson.)
I like this new Sea Duck.  :thumbup:

Did someone hijack his account?

You really do live in an imaginary world.

I don't think the bolded is true and I think it goes exactly to Ivan's point.  Lots of sane, level-headed analysis exists, and lots of the "supposedly sane, level-headed people" are performing the proper analysis and response.  The issue is that the correct analysis and response is to simply ignore it, but when 90% or 95% or 99% ignore it, there's no tweet or Facebook post or article showing that John Doe specifically ignored it.  It's only the overreactions that appear in our feeds.  Those overreactions, and the counter-reactions to those overreactions, are then what generates clicks.  All of this goes back to Ivan's point.  Even when 99% of the world reacts appropriately, it's the 1% that the rest of us need to shrug off and ignore.
See i disagree.  I think the idea that Ted Cruz and Donald Trump' rhetoric lead to some insurection is a bunch of bunk.  The only reason it escalated is because there was a complete lack of police presence.  You had a crowd of tens of thousands of people and all there were was a handful of cop and so-called barracades which amounted to a few bicycle racks.  

I also find the idea that you can separate the BLM protests from all the surrounding deaths, beatings and crimes which resulted in billions of dollars of property damage ridiculous.  

I thought the prosecution of George Zimmerman was a complete railroad job based soley on politics and media lies.  The whole Micheal Brown case was grossly misreported.  Those two events are why we even have a BLM movement and why it is strong.  And the facts as known by most people are mostly BS.  

The nation's dialog is now under controlled by a few tech giants which have bought into the leftwing cancel culture and censorship.  The mainstresm media and their associated fact-checking is all biased with this politically correct groupthink that whites oppress minorities so we must automaticslly assume the worst about whites and blindly accept whatever narrative is pushed by a minority.  Until a story like smollett or the duke lacross case falls completely apart, it is only then some sense of fairness returns, but it is often too late.  

We as a nation will never be at peace as long as our society judges people and issues with these strong racial filters.  The politics which divides the nation by race must come to an end.   

Sanders is almost 80 years old.  What would her or your 80 year old grandfather wear to a cold outdoor event? The cold impacts the eldery more. 

Not a big fan of the crossed legs but I see nothing wrong with what he wore. Plus she is acting like a privileged  pasty white Karen that she is.

See i disagree.  I think the idea that Ted Cruz and Donald Trump' rhetoric lead to some insurection is a bunch of bunk.  The only reason it escalated is because there was a complete lack of police presence.  You had a crowd of tens of thousands of people and all there were was a handful of cop and so-called barracades which amounted to a fee bicycle racks.  

I also find the idea that you can separate the BLM protests from all the surrounding deaths, beatings and crimes which resulted in billions of dollars of property damage ridiculous.  

I thought the prosecution of George Zimmerman was a complete railroad job based soley on politics and media lies.  The whole Micheal Brown case was grossly misreported.  Those two events are why we even have a BLM movement and why it is strong.  And the facts as known by most people are mostly BS.  

The nation's dialog is now under controlled by a few tech giants which have bought into the leftwing cancel culture and censorship.  The mainstresm media and their associated fact-checking is all biased with this politically correct groupthink that white oppress minorities so we must automaticslly assume the worst about whites and blindly accept whatever narrative is pushed by a minority.  Until a story like smollett or the duke lacross case falls completely apart, it is only then some sense of fairness returns, but it is often too late.  

We as a nation will never be at peace as long as our society judges people and issues with these strong racial filters.  The politics which divides the nation by race must come to an end.   
I have no idea what any of that has to do with the discussion about Bernie Sanders's mittens and the weird overreaction from some people.  The above just seems to be a litany of complaints you have against the world.

And this diatribe about "leftwing cancel culture" is ridiculous.  The right is just as eager to "cancel", it's just a different group of people they want to cancel.

Sanders is almost 80 years old.  What would her or your 80 year old grandfather wear to a cold outdoor event? The cold impacts the eldery more. 

Not a big fan of the crossed legs but I see nothing wrong with what he wore.
Yep and the response to that is of course you don't see anything wrong with it because you have priviledge. You're not understanding.  You'e being punished now for something you don't know you even have.

Systemic racism too.  You are bad simply because you are white. Period.   You need nothing else.

THAT is the message being sent across our airwaves these days.  White = bad.  White and not poor?  Double bad!!!   White not poor AND male?   Antichrist.

Yep and the response to that is of course you don't see anything wrong with it because you have priviledge. You're not understanding.  You'e being punished now for something you don't know you even have.

Systemic racism too.  You are bad simply because you are white. Period.   You need nothing else.

THAT is the message being sent across our airwaves these days.  White = bad.  White and not poor?  Double bad!!!   White not poor AND male?   Antichrist.
IMO you are sorely mistaken if that is what you think people are talking about with system racism.  

I am not sure why we should care what one individual SFO HS teacher thinks of Bernie - or at least enough to start a thread about. Is she supposed to be representative of all Bay Area teachers or of the left? 

What do you think her take would have been if the internet made fun of the way Michelle Obama had dressed?
This thought exercise tends to skew the point, IMO. Bernie is being memed because he is already well known for being a highly-lampoonable grumpy old man, and the picture of him in the lawnchair fits that stereotype perfectly. Michelle Obama does not have a similar reputation; if she's getting memed, it's likely for very different (sometimes malevolent) reasons.

A more appropriate comparison, IMO, would be Lady Gaga. Her "social distancing dress" also got some meme-y attention last month, yet the San Francisco teacher didn't express the slightest bit of "frustration" that Gaga was using her "white privilege" to mock the inauguration and "struggling-to-be-taken-seriously folk" -- in fact, she seemed to take the opposite approach, praising fashion choices of the women at the inauguration ("monochromatic ensembles of pure power") and urging her students to seek the "possible meanings of the attire" like some kind of third-rate English lit teacher trying to squeeze out every possible allusion in the subtext of a book.

Which, IMO, makes her a sexist in addition to being racially obtuse.

Summer Wheat said:

Not a big fan of the crossed legs but I see nothing wrong with what he wore. Plus she is acting like a privileged  pasty white Karen that she is.
I sit here with my legs crossed wondering why you feel this way?

squistion said:
I am not sure why we should care what one individual SFO HS teacher thinks of Bernie - or at least enough to start a thread about. Is she supposed to be representative of all Bay Area teachers or of the left? 
How many times have you copy and pasted a tweet from someone whose opinion no one cares about here on this board?

jon_mx said:
And you are sorely mistaken if you don't think that is the message people are getting.  

supermike80 said:
Exactly.  Should probably fix the message then I guess.
Like anything else, the nutty takes get amplified on social media.   I am not going to deny that there is probably people out there that think along the lines of what you are indicating, I am guessing that conservative media sources also push that minority view even more and tell their consumers that is what the left is saying (which is why I would guess you guys are thinking this is the message).  

I would guess that if you talk rationally to 98% of people about system racism it wouldn't be "white people = bad".  

You know what? I didn't even read the whole link or get the entire gist of what is going on here. I assumed she was an op-ed columnist somewhere, not just a teacher on social media. So you know what else? Who cares? Why is this news, other than to illustrate how deeply sloppy thought and overwrought politics are being peddled by our high school teacher betters everywhere? Well, perhaps that is the story. That this is so mainstream now that people who influence young minds are given over to this ####.

Maybe it is news in that way.

But the thread and IK and Tim's response make a whole hell of a lot more sense now that I know what the deal is.

You know what? I didn't even read the whole link or get the entire gist of what is going on here. I assumed she was an op-ed columnist somewhere, not just a teacher on social media. So you know what else? Who cares? Why is this news, other than to illustrate how deeply sloppy thought and overwrought politics are being peddled by our high school teacher betters everywhere? Well, perhaps that is the story. That this is so mainstream now that people who influence young minds are given over to this ####.

Maybe it is news in that way.
Aren't you doing the same thing we've been discussing, though?  How do you get from one random teacher in SF to "teachers everywhere" and "so mainstream now"?

Aren't you doing the same thing we've been discussing, though?  How do you get from one random teacher in SF to "teachers everywhere" and "so mainstream now"?
Not really. I'm trying to see why this deserves a thread. If indeed this is the norm, then taking a particular is simply evidence to it being the norm.

I'm really just trying to figure out why this is here and why the outrage. I simply assumed she was an op-ed writer or somebody of some other influential importance, and I was wrong. Like my edit (you responded before seeing it, I presume) I was wondering why IK was referring to this as "two minutes of hate." It is indeed close to that in retrospect and I was sort of wishing I hadn't jumped in making the assumption that she was somebody important.

It's really a "wtf parasaurolophus? Why is this a thread?," just done nicely. 

Not really. I'm trying to see why this deserves a thread. If indeed this is the norm, then taking a particular is simply evidence to it being the norm.

I'm really just trying to figure out why this is here and why the outrage. I simply assumed she was an op-ed writer or somebody of some other influential importance, and I was wrong. Like my edit (you responded before seeing it, I presume) I was wondering why IK was referring to this as "two minutes of hate." It is indeed close to that in retrospect and I was sort of wishing I hadn't jumped in making the assumption that she was somebody important.

It's really a "wtf parasaurolophus? Why is this a thread?," just done nicely. 
With respect to the bolded, indeed, sir.

After reading what she said, I thought to myself..."oh the parents are gonna pissed that this gal is feeding their children's minds with this garbage...".  And then I remembered it's in Frisco.......so the parents likely feel similarly, or would be too afraid to question the teacher because they are surrounded by a majority who think like this....at least to some degree.

And of course she has a hyphenated name.....

After reading what she said, I thought to myself..."oh the parents are gonna pissed that this gal is feeding their children's minds with this garbage...".  And then I remembered it's in Frisco.......so the parents likely feel similarly, or would be too afraid to question the teacher because they are surrounded by a majority who think like this....at least to some degree.

You believe that a majority of the parents would agree with her thoughts? 

Strange take since I believe Sanders was the winner of the California primary.  But I guess more people could support the views of some random teacher.

Strange take since I believe Sanders was the winner of the California primary.  But I guess more people could support the views of some random teacher.
I get your point.  But this teacher is the wokest of the woke.....this is the logical direction of wokeness, isn't it?

Like anything else, the nutty takes get amplified on social media.   I am not going to deny that there is probably people out there that think along the lines of what you are indicating, I am guessing that conservative media sources also push that minority view even more and tell their consumers that is what the left is saying (which is why I would guess you guys are thinking this is the message).  

I would guess that if you talk rationally to 98% of people about system racism it wouldn't be "white people = bad".  
If it was just the nuts it would be funny.  But white-trashing vibe is mainstream politucs. 

Users who are viewing this thread