What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking to start a dynasty league - - League Full (1 Viewer)

bro1ncos

IBL Representative
Looking to start up a dynasty league. I am open to suggestions to rules:

Initial thoughts:

- 12 teams

- low cost (only looking to cover MFL costs, approx. $7 per owner) playing for pride and bragging rights

- 20-25 man rosters

- non IDP

- .5 PPR for RB, 1 for WR, 1.5 for TE

I'll do most of the heavy lifting and be the commish. Just looking for 11 more owners to make a competitive league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
zaner75 said:
If just playing for fun and bragging rights, I'd join if on Sleeper (free)
I'm not opposed to this. I'm just used to MFL and would have to learn Sleeper.

Sleeper.app

I don't know much about the customization when creating a league. Using it during the season is easy. There is a league chat embedded in the app and it is accessible via phone and web (computer). Think it is meant to be primarily accessed through your phone as some features are not accessible via web (trade block)

What is the web site for Sleeper?  (Apparently, it's not sleeper.com )

Sleeper.app

I don't know much about the customization when creating a league. Using it during the season is easy. There is a league chat embedded in the app and it is accessible via phone and web (computer). Think it is meant to be primarily accessed through your phone as some features are not accessible via web (trade block)
I set up a temp league just to see customization. It looks very solid and I would think ir would accommodate anything we would want to do. 

OK. That doesn't look to be an option. So we might have to look for a way to run an auction online then transfer rosters or look at a different hosting site. 
I just PMed you a partial list of proposed rules as a starting point.  Let me know your thoughts at your convenience.

https://support.sleeper.app/en/articles/1876072-what-draft-types-are-supported

"Auction Draft (coming soon) - In auction leagues, instead of having a snake order of picks, owners start with a set amount of money to bid on players. Any owner can bid at any time, as long as they have money left. You have to choose wisely, though. If you blow all your money on Christian McCaffrey and Patrick Mahomes, your remaining funds won't help you fill out your roster well.

While we had originally planned to support auction drafts for the 2020 season, we have decided to push this back. Auction is a completely new game engine that takes time to get it right. It is still on our radar, but we will not have it for the 2020 football season."

Maybe give it some time and they might have it functional. In lieu of using sleeper, something I have used in the past was a proboards site (Proboards.com). It is a free message board hosting site that is password-protected. You can set up forums and threads. Nominations would be posted and people would log in and see the active threads and could reply with their bids. Every message is time-stamped and rules could be set up that bidding is over once 24 hours have passed since the last bid. A rule could be that people have one nomination per day so you can have multiple players up for auction simultaneously.

The downside is that there is no way of checking on valid bids but a rule could be implemented that in the case of invalid bids (due to insufficient many left) the winner reverts back to the last valid bidder.

https://support.sleeper.app/en/articles/1876072-what-draft-types-are-supported

"Auction Draft (coming soon) - In auction leagues, instead of having a snake order of picks, owners start with a set amount of money to bid on players. Any owner can bid at any time, as long as they have money left. You have to choose wisely, though. If you blow all your money on Christian McCaffrey and Patrick Mahomes, your remaining funds won't help you fill out your roster well.

While we had originally planned to support auction drafts for the 2020 season, we have decided to push this back. Auction is a completely new game engine that takes time to get it right. It is still on our radar, but we will not have it for the 2020 football season."

Maybe give it some time and they might have it functional. In lieu of using sleeper, something I have used in the past was a proboards site (Proboards.com). It is a free message board hosting site that is password-protected. You can set up forums and threads. Nominations would be posted and people would log in and see the active threads and could reply with their bids. Every message is time-stamped and rules could be set up that bidding is over once 24 hours have passed since the last bid. A rule could be that people have one nomination per day so you can have multiple players up for auction simultaneously.

The downside is that there is no way of checking on valid bids but a rule could be implemented that in the case of invalid bids (due to insufficient many left) the winner reverts back to the last valid bidder.
Thanks for this. Would love to hear more of a commitment from Sleeper about this because although we aren't in a huge rush, I would think it would be a positive thing to have the initial auction done before the NFL draft. Although, this is by no means set in stone.

Proboards wouldn't be of interest for me. It would feel like going back and running a start up auction a decade ago. There are way too many options to hold the auction online and then transfer rosters to a new host site if necessary, and this would be worst case scenario. 

Free trumps everything for me but I found draftysports.com. Auction draft software for $13, basically a dollar per owner. Don't know if it transfers team lists to another league hosting site.

Yahoo offers a free auction in real time, which I would greatly prefer to a days-long auction.  Fleaflicker, which is also free, can import the results and then run everything going forward, including rookie drafts, whether real time or email.  While I have never commissioned one, I have participated in auctions on Yahoo with no issues.

I do like the Yahoo auction and then switch over to fleaflicker site idea.

While I am not opposed to a live auction, I think it would hard to get 12 people in different time zones together for a live auction. Plus I know for me personally, it would difficult to get 3-4 free hours to do a live auction. My first choice would be a long draft with a 12-24 hour clock on winning auctions.

I do like the Yahoo auction and then switch over to fleaflicker site idea.

While I am not opposed to a live auction, I think it would hard to get 12 people in different time zones together for a live auction. Plus I know for me personally, it would difficult to get 3-4 free hours to do a live auction. My first choice would be a long draft with a 12-24 hour clock on winning auctions.
Maybe I'm overly optimistic but since we are planning this out in February, I would think we could find a 2 hour window sometime between now and early September that would work for everyone.  Especially since this would likely be a one-time-only gathering of the owners, with subsequent rookie drafts done (presumably) by email or otherwise staggered..  Yahoo is pretty universal and the auctions I have done on it have moved fast - just over an hour.  To be safe, I would say to plan for two hours. 

There is also an autodraft function for auctions where someone who absolutely cannot make the live auction (or has to join late or leave early) enters max bids for players and gets those players for runner-up bid +1 (e.g.; Predrafter sets max price for Barry Sanders of $40.  No one else bids $40 for him - the next highest is $30.  Predrafter gets Barry Sanders for $31).

On another front, a friend of mine would like to join the league as well.  If Zaner and Ditka are in, that's 5 so far.

Working on near finalization of rules. Please let me know if you are interested in a sneak peek and give your thoughts and input.

If anyone is interested in providing feedback on these rules please feel free. Nothing is set in stone currently and still a couple of things I am still debating personally. 

A. ALL-STAR SITCOMS

Currently there is no cost to play in All-Star Sitcoms. The league will be hosted on a free site such as Flea Flicker. If the time comes that we can no longer host on a free site, cost for league will never exceed the league site host fee. Cost will be split evenly amongst 12 team mangers.

SitComs - Team names will be centered around team manager's favorite situation comedies. Team names can be based on show titles, characters, or specific themes within a sitcom. Teams will be distributed on a first come, first served basis when it comes to selecting team names. Only one team will be able to focus on a specific SitCom at a time (ie. There can only be one team based on the show Cheers)

All teams will be in one 12 team division. All teams will play each other team once and will have 2 random re-matches to fill out their 13 game season.

B. INITIAL AUCTION

The foundation of this league will be built on the 24-round auction to take place in 2021, most likely on Yahoo, with the results then imported onto Fleaflicker.  Teams will have a $500 budget and be assigned an " initial auction position" randomly of 1-12, which will dictate whose turn it is to nominate a player for auction in round 1. Each round a manager`s order of nomination will rotate down. (ie. 3rd nomination in 1st round, will have the 4th nomination in 2nd round, 5th nomination in 3rd round, etc. When a manager reaches the 12th nomination slot they will move to the 1st slot in the following round). This will continue for 24 rounds and each manager will nominate from each slot 2 times. Bids can only be made in $1 increments, the highest bid wins the player.  Each team will have a maximum of 24 players once the auction is complete.  Teams must be able to field a starting lineup after the auction, with no further positional requirement for their roster.  There will be no trades or free agent acquisitions allowed until the auction is complete.  Once the auction is complete, the values used in the auction will cease to exist.

The initial auction will be for all NFL players and incoming rookies.

C. ROOKIE DRAFTS

DRAFT STYLE - This will mimic the NFL Draft in that the draft order (barring trades of draft picks) will remain the same every round rather than reversing every round.

DRAFT ORDER - The six teams that did not qualify for the playoffs will have a 1000-sided dice roll to determine spots 1-6.  The team that finished 12th will roll 6 dice, the team that finished 11th will roll 5, and so on. Highest single dice roll drafts 1st, 2nd highest 2nd and so on with each of the six teams getting one draft slot. The two teams that lose in the first playoff round will play in a toilet bowl game in week 14. The winner of the game will get draft slot 7 and the losing team will get the 8th pick. The two losing semifinal teams will select 9th and 10th with the team with the worse regular season record will select 9th. The league winner will select last in each round and championship loser will select 11th. **Trades will affect which teams draft in a specific slot*

DRAFT METHOD - The 5 round draft will be set up after coordinating an appropriate start date with all team managers, but will start no later than 6 weeks after completion of NFL rookie draft.  This will be a long running email draft.  Each manager will have a 12 hour window to make their pick, which begins the minute the previous pick is made.  If a deadline is missed, the next team can pick and the draft will continue as scheduled. The  bypassed team can make their pick at any time. Timer will be turned off between 12am and 6am EST each night.

DRAFT COMMODITIES - Only players that are incoming NFL rookies are eligible to be drafted.

D. ROSTERS

League roster sizes will be set to a maximum of 28 during the season.

One week after the NFL Super Bowl, teams will be reduced to a maximum roster size of 20. Taxi squads will be reduced to zero and all players must be removed from injured reserve.

In season taxi squads will open NFL preseason week 1 and will have space for 6 rookies. Only players that are currently designated as rookies or are 1 year removed from their draft year are eligible for taxi squads. Eligible players must be placed on taxi squad a minimum of 3 days before NFL opening game (ie. This will typically be the Monday, 1159pm EST, before the Thursday night opening game).  Once a taxi squad player is activated to the active roster or put on IR, they are no longer eligible to be placed back on the taxi squad that season.

Injured reserve slots will be a maximum of 5 per team. Only players designated as IR by the NFL may be placed on a team's IR. If a player is removed from the NFL injured reserve designation, they must be removed from a team's injured reserve.

At the start of the rookie draft team rosters will be expanded to a maximum of 32 and will return to 28 three days prior to the start of the NFL regular season (typically 1159pm EST on the Monday before opening Thursday night game)

E. VETERAN REFILL DRAFT

Typically around the end of July, a 6 (six) round vet refill draft will occur. The specific start time will be determined after consulting with all managers.

Draft order for round 1 will be the same as the rookie draft for that season (excluding differences that occur due to trades). Subsequent rounds will be snake draft. (ie. 1.01 pick will have following vet refill picks of 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 4.12, 5.01 and 6.12)

All players that are currently eligible to play in the NFL are eligible to be drafted. This includes vets, rookies, and players currently suspended by the NFL.

F.  START OF THE IN-SEASON

3 days prior to start of the NFL season (typically 1159pm EST, on the Monday before opening Thursday night game)

Active rosters must be at or below 28

Taxi squads will be at a maximum of 6

Injured Reserve will be at a maximum of 5

G. TRADES

Time Periods - Trading will be allowed until the start of the Week 12 Games.  Trading will then be suspended until the day after the Super Bowl.

Commodities Allowed for Trading - Teams can trade players and/or draft picks.  During the season (meaning after the initial auction/draft), draft picks can be traded for the upcoming draft only.  Once trading reopens after the Super Bowl, draft picks can be traded for the upcoming draft and the following year's draft.

At completion of any trade, all teams must be at or below appropriate roster size for that time of league calendar. (ie. During the season teams must still be at a max of 28 players on their active roster) 

E. FREE AGENTS

Free agents can be acquired during the season by free agent auction bidding that occurs every Wednesday morning at approximately 1201am EST (based on league software settings). 

Teams will be given $100 free agent dollars to use during the season. Funds do not carry over from year to year. 

Bids can range anywhere between and including $0 and $100 free agent dollars and must be in $1 increments.

Players will be awarded to the team with the highest bid at time of processing. Players with multiple bids that are the same will be given to the team with the worst record at the time based on our tiebreakers.

Once a manager has exhausted their $100 they will only be able to acquire free agents that win with a bid of $0 or first come, first served free agency.

First come, First served will open at 1201am EST on either the start of Saturday or Sunday games in a given week. FCFS waivers will end at the start of that week's games (excluding Thursday games).

Once a player is dropped, he is locked until the next time waivers are processed.  Once an NFL game has started players from those teams are not eligible to be acquired via waivers until the following week.

F. SCORING

(Negative points can occur): Weekly scoring changes will be automatically scheduled to occur based on league software 

Passing Touchdowns: 4 points

Rushing, receiving, and returning touchdowns: 6 points

All 2-pt Conversions (Passing, Rushing, Receiving): 2 points 

Each Passing Yard: 0.04 per point

Each Rushing or Receiving Yard: 0.1 per point

Interception or Fumble Lost:  -1

All-Star Sitcom will be a tiered PPR league

Running backs will earn .75 points per reception

Wide receivers will earn 1 point per reception

Tight Ends and Quarterbacks will earn 1.5 points per reception

G. STARTING LINEUPS

Starting players are locked in at the start of their game

Starting Lineups consist of

Quarterback - 1

Running Back - 1

Wide Receiver - 2

Tight End - 1

SuperFlex (QB, RB, WR, TE) - 1

Flex (RB, WR, TE) - 4

H. PLAYOFFS

Six (6) teams will make the playoffs based on league standings after week 13.

Top 2 records will receive a bye in week 14

3rd division winner will play lowest seeded team entering playoffs

Week 14 playoff games will be #3 seed vs #6 and #4 seed vs #5.

In round two of playoffs the #1 seed will play the lowest remaining seed and #2 seed will play the other team advancing from round 1

The 6 teams that do not qualify for playoffs will continue to submit lineups. The team that scores the most starter points in weeks 14-16 will receive an extra roll of the 1000 sided dice to determine rookie draft order.

I. TIEBREAKERS for standings, blind bid waivers, and draft order

Overall winning %

All-Play Record

Total Points Scored

Reverse Order of Opponent Total Points Scored (ie. Team that has had most points scored against them will win tie breaker)

J. SINGLE GAME TIEBREAKER 

Regular season - tie will be final result 

Post-Season - higher seed will advance

K.   REPLACEMENT OWNERS:  If multiple openings occur at the same time then the new owners can have a Dispersal Draft.  Only players from the open rosters can be selected during the dispersal draft.

L. RULE CHANGES:  The commissioner is allowed to interpret the meaning of a rule if it is unclear.  The commissioner will also give owners a chance to discuss potential rules changes and vote on changes during the off season.  Rules will only be changed during the season if it is completely unforeseen circumstances (ie. A season with a worldwide pandemic)

I would like to join if there's an opening.  That is if you allow Canadians to join !!

I'm not opposed to this. I'm just used to MFL and would have to learn Sleeper.
Mfl is the best site tho but yes many do for bragging right leagues on sleeper. Problem is tho many of the team owners dont take it serious. Some of them leave right in the middle of the draft. You will find yourself more recruiting team owners than enjoying it. Oh and many team owners dont believe in Kickers and defenses which is weird to me. Over all tho the set up at sleeper isnt bad tho. Mfl>sleeper in my opinion tho

Users who are viewing this thread