What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Child Tax Credit (1 Viewer)

FBG26

Footballguy
I've been reading some info on the proposed child tax credit. The answer to my question below is probably "it depends" and "we don't know until we see the text of a bill", but wondering if anybody has read anything good on this. 

Here's one link, with many others available via internet search. 

Currently the child tax credit is $2000 annually for couples making under $400k (married filing jointly). One current proposal is to up the limit to $3600 / $3000 annually (depending on age), but start phasing out the credit for couples making $150k annually. So my question is, is this effectively a tax increase on families making between $150k to $400k? Am I missing something? That can't be what they are going for, can it? 

I've been reading some info on the proposed child tax credit. The answer to my question below is probably "it depends" and "we don't know until we see the text of a bill", but wondering if anybody has read anything good on this. 

Currently the child tax credit is $2000 annually for couples making under $400k (married filing jointly). One current proposal is to up the limit to $3600 / $3000 annually (depending on age), but start phasing out the credit for couples making $150k annually. So my question is, is this effectively a tax increase on families making between $150k to $400k? Am I missing something? That can't be what they are going for, can it? 
I don't know but even just based on your description it's not a tax increase on families making $150K.  Maybe it's an increase on families making some greater amount.

I don't know but even just based on your description it's not a tax increase on families making $150K.  Maybe it's an increase on families making some greater amount.
Ok, say the credit now phases out at $200k (or pick a reasonable number), a family making $200k and two kids currently gets a credit for $4k. In this hypothetical, now that same family does not receive any child tax credit. That's a substantial amount of money. I agree with the goal of reducing child poverty by increasing the child tax credit for low income families, but reducing the phase out would also hurt a lot of families that aren't exactly uber wealthy. 

The answer is the bolded, but based on Biden's campaign promises if the result of the child tax credit is a tax increase on those making > $150K I'd expect it to be offset in some tbd manner. He was very clear about not raising taxes on those that earn < $400K. Hypothetically choosing that promise as one to bail on given where he won in November would be a head spinner.

Ok, say the credit now phases out at $200k (or pick a reasonable number), a family making $200k and two kids currently gets a credit for $4k. In this hypothetical, now that same family does not receive any child tax credit. That's a substantial amount of money. I agree with the goal of reducing child poverty by increasing the child tax credit for low income families, but reducing the phase out would also hurt a lot of families that aren't exactly uber wealthy. 
What are the details of the phasing out? If someone got $4k last year they may still get $4k this year depending on how quickly the credit phases out.

Looks like I may have found an answer. It's undated, but I think this is the current proposal: Summary of the proposal from House Committee on Ways and Means.

Part 2 – Child Tax Credit

Sec. 9611 – Child Tax Credit improvements for 2021

Makes the child tax credit (“CTC”) fully refundable for 2021 and increases the amount to $3,000 per child ($3,600 for a child under age 6). The provision also increases the age of qualifying children by one year for 2021, such that 17-year-olds qualify for the credit. For 2021, the excess of the child tax credit (i.e., the additional $1,000 or $1,600 per-child in excess of the present-law $2,000 per-child credit) is reduced by $50 for every $1000 in modified adjusted gross income in excess of $150,000 for joint filers ($112,500 for head of household filers and $75,000 for other filers). Once the excess credit amount is so reduced, the credit plateaus at $2,000, and then phases out at the present law levels established in the TCJA ($400,000 for joint filers, $200,00 for other filers).
So it's the excess credit that phases out starting at $150k, but the base $2k wouldn't begin to phase out until $400k like it currently does. Good to know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I may have found an answer. It's undated, but I think this is the current proposal: Summary of the proposal from House Committee on Ways and Means.

So it's the excess credit that phases out starting at $150k, but the base $2k wouldn't begin to phase out until $400k like it currently does. Good to know. 
Will those over 17 still be eligible for the $500 tax credit that's currently place?

Why do the monthly payments? I mean, I guess I understand why, but some of us set our withholdings so that we come out where we want at the end of the year. If you change things up halfway through the year and start giving me some of as a monthly check, I'll then need to my more withheld from each paycheck so that I don't owe next year.

ok this is stupid make it permanent and all you will do is have welfare moms have more kids and the small group that works and pays the bills will have to pay more no wonder we are ready for a revolt 

Users who are viewing this thread