What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Serious Backgammon Players? (1 Viewer)

I used to play for money but then i lost the ability to have fun playing it. No, I wasn’t losing and I was never playing for big money. I’d played since I was a kid and had fun with my dad and gpa, once I realized it had become about winning and not remembering my childhood I stopped playing. ####, been probably 20 years now, I’m old 

We had an ffa tournament about 10 years ago. I don’t remember who won, but I recall playing against BananaFish. I’m far from a serious player though. 

I've got no real skill (evaluating equity and cube play) but I like it well enough and would play for ####s and giggles.  It is/was a good gambling game but computers opened the kimono.  

If you don't count pips you're not a player.

I was taught by a math professor while in my teens. He gave me a book, "Backgammon for Blood". Opened my eyes.

There was a bar in Jax in the 80's that held tourneys once a week and there were always people looking to play for money. Good times!

I play on backgammongalaxy.com but I don't think I could host a tourney.  Any suggestions?

How do you like it?  Did you see the messages pop up while we were playing?
I kind of like the stats you get at the end of the game, but I don't understand their scoring system.  I like the Lord of the Board graphics....  LOTB has higher "fun factor" imo.  And no, I still haven't seen any messages from you pop up.  

They pop up over my avatar while we are playing.  They only stay there for ~15 seconds and then they disappear.

The site is owned by some of the top players in the world--Marc Olsen, Mochy and another Dane.  I had a lesson from Marc last night.  I just joined about 10 days ago.

If you go to the analysis tab, you can review any of your matches and it will point out any errors and blunders.  You can also press the analyze button after the match to get the same info.

johnnycakes said:
Thanks, Joe!  Now if someone can figure out how to set up a tourney online.....
I’m not a backgammon player so maybe it wouldn’t work the same but Tim does chess tournaments land he just manages it offline and the games are played online.  It’s fairly simple as I’m assuming you won’t have a huge number of players.

chet said:
They pop up over my avatar while we are playing.  They only stay there for ~15 seconds and then they disappear.

The site is owned by some of the top players in the world--Marc Olsen, Mochy and another Dane.  I had a lesson from Marc last night.  I just joined about 10 days ago.

If you go to the analysis tab, you can review any of your matches and it will point out any errors and blunders.  You can also press the analyze button after the match to get the same info.
Chet -- if we all got accounts at backgammon galaxy would we be able to play our FFA tourney there?  I'm not familiar with the site so I don't know how it works and I don't feel like creating an account unless I know that's what we're using.

Chet -- if we all got accounts at backgammon galaxy would we be able to play our FFA tourney there?  I'm not familiar with the site so I don't know how it works and I don't feel like creating an account unless I know that's what we're using.
Yes and I think it would be great.  We'd have to structure the tournament in a thread and then play the matches there.  Galaxy is a fantastic site because of the ability to analyze the matches.  It was started by some of the world's best players with pure BG in mind.  You can also play on your phone.  My name there is Chet (notice the uppercase C--there is also a chet).

Yes and I think it would be great.  We'd have to structure the tournament in a thread and then play the matches there.  Galaxy is a fantastic site because of the ability to analyze the matches.  It was started by some of the world's best players with pure BG in mind.  You can also play on your phone.  My name there is Chet (notice the uppercase C--there is also a chet).
Cool, I’ll go create a login. Do we want to use this thread to set up the tourney or should we make a new one?

I’m fatguyinalittlecoat now at backgammon galaxy.  Anybody that wants into the tournament should set up an account there and post their username.

Let's think about the structure of the tourney here and then start a new thread.  
I think the way timschochet sets up the chess tournaments would be fun - more like a round robin than a single elimination tourney.  Everyone gets to play 6 matches and as the tourney goes on, the matchups are set so that the players at the top play the other players at the top of the standings.

As for what constitutes a “match” I think the best would be a match up to 7 using the doubling cube.

I think the way timschochet sets up the chess tournaments would be fun - more like a round robin than a single elimination tourney.  Everyone gets to play 6 matches and as the tourney goes on, the matchups are set so that the players at the top play the other players at the top of the standings.

As for what constitutes a “match” I think the best would be a match up to 7 using the doubling cube.
Sounds good to me.  I will start a thread to see how many players we have.  

Isn't this mostly a luck game?  You just roll dice and move your pieces as fast as you can off the board.  Am I missing something?  Serious question.  I have never really understood the fascination.

Isn't this mostly a luck game?  You just roll dice and move your pieces as fast as you can off the board.  Am I missing something?  Serious question.  I have never really understood the fascination.
There is a luck element but it diminishes as you play longer matches with a cube.  

It's a luck game in the same way that poker is a luck game.

@chet, if you could PM me an email address, I'd love to send you an invitation to try Lord of the Board.  The graphics are much, much better.  And the pieces move more at the pace they would move in a real game, not all at once.  Forced moves also go at a slower pace so you can see it was forced and exactly what happened.  That kind of clarity is missing in Galaxy.  

Matter of fact, I'll extend that invitation to all FBGs if you want to try Lord of the Board.  

And while we're at it, how do you start a new game in Galaxy.  When I click on "create a new game" it gives me some sass talk about not having enough coins to start a game.  What the heck?  How do I get said coins?  

Last edited by a moderator:
@chet, if you could PM me an email address, I'd love to send you an invitation to try Lord of the Board.  The graphics are much, much better.  And the pieces move more at the pace they would move in a real game, not all at once.  Forced moves also go at a slower pace so you can see it was forced and exactly what happened.  That kind of clarity is missing in Galaxy.  

Matter of fact, I'll extend that invitation to all FBGs if you want to try Lord of the Board.  

And while we're at it, how do you start a new game in Galaxy.  When I click on "create a new game" it gives me some sass talk about not having enough coins to start a game.  What the heck?  How do I get said coins?  
there are 3 options in the Create Game window--stake (how many coins you want to play for--leave at 0), length (how many points is the match) and clock (normal, speed or casual--I play at normal or casual).

I agree with you on the forced moves but really like the site other than that.  I will try LOB but my main site will be Galaxy because of the rating system and game analysis feature.  Also, I am taking lessons from one of the founders who has been ranked top 10 in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread