What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

collectors - what's your most desired item? (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
curious what people collect (be it pins, books, tools, etc.), what object in that genre they most desire to have in their collection and what they have now that's their favorite.

i'm not a collector of anything specific, but i do like the aesthetics of magnets and pins for whatever reason. i've tried to collect country specific pins from every country i have visited but missed a couple and won't pick them up until i can get back one day.

i see sneakers and can't help myself (within reason).  buy way too many and would have to think long & hard if i saw a specific pair in person that i know costs way too much.

An original Shelby Cobra. Well, first I need to start collecting cars before I go for that one. One day I will collect cars, but I doubt I will ever have an original Cobra. 

I've been looking at the Lego Minifigure market. That #### is insane. I haven't collected anything yet, but it has me wanting to go through all the legos my kids don't use and pull out what we have and then maybe going to pick up a few. All that being said, I don't really collect anything. I'd like to, but too damn busy 

An original Shelby Cobra. Well, first I need to start collecting cars before I go for that one. One day I will collect cars, but I doubt I will ever have an original Cobra. 

I've been looking at the Lego Minifigure market. That #### is insane. I haven't collected anything yet, but it has me wanting to go through all the legos my kids don't use and pull out what we have and then maybe going to pick up a few. All that being said, I don't really collect anything. I'd like to, but too damn busy 
hell, even the mass produced readily available Lego sets are expensive. 

my wife likes to do these little detail oriented projects and i've picked up metal-work type Lego sets as gifts. even the tiny ones are $30-$40.  

I've always liked coins. I only collect ones from pocket change or ones that have been passed on to me. I don't have any worth much. I have several Mercury dimes but no gold coins. I have acquired a few watches with the coins, but I'm not much of a watch guy.

I collect watches and have a pretty large collection at this point (though watches tend to come and go from the collection). Collection is mostly vintage watches though I do have a few modern watches as well since something that is 60 to 70s year old I won't wear in certain situations.  However, I collect to wear and if I am not wearing it then I generally will eventually sell it.  

A have a few grail watches I would like to have though they are pretty vague watches that few outside of collecting world would know.  If really interested let me know.  

I also want an air-cooled 911 but wouldn't call that single car a car collection.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked coins. I only collect ones from pocket change or ones that have been passed on to me. I don't have any worth much. I have several Mercury dimes but no gold coins. I have acquired a few watches with the coins, but I'm not much of a watch guy.
You might be surprised. Similar to graded trading cards, there's a graded coin market as well. Also, an "error" coin premium, for short-printed runs of common coins that might have a missing/incorrect mint mark, where only a small number were minted before the error was corrected. Things like that. I got into that wormhole on social media one day in my boredom and it had me wanting to go through my jars of loose change. :lol:  

I don't really collect stuff like getting a bunch of bobble heads, jerseys, etc.  I have random memorabilia here and there, like my WS tickets, slap shot action figure, etc.  Just been random gifts here and there.

The closest I have is my wife signed me up for danbury mint or something where I ended up with a bunch of replica stadiums. After I got notre dame I cancelled.

I probably have more golf clubs than the avg joe

I’m a minimalist, so Smoo
Me too. But I still have a big set of baseball cards from when I was a kid. What is interesting is my kids have no interest. I’m not even sure I want to do the work to see what it is worth. I’m waiting for my kids to complain about money and then I’m gonna make them a deal they do the work and it goes to college. 

I also have a few nice hockey and football jerseys. And some signed pictures on the walls. Hockey guys from college before hit it big. Also Pats guys from early 2000 s. 

Now that I am older I’ve gotten only a couple of paintings. 

I do like collecting old electronics. But to be honest, it isn’t worth much. I like take it apart and try figure how it works. I’m a sucker for taking electronics apart and looking at the craftsmanship and components. I like to research old electronics. But my wife hates it and throws a lot of it out after I have a carcass there too long. 🤣

Probably  T-206 Tinker, Evers, and Chance tobacco cards.  Also to complete my 1984 Donruss set - autographed.  Down to 60 out of 660.
Didn't know someone else here was this sick.  I have the 96 Studio set completed, the 97 Fleer base I think I'm at 451/500, got the entire run of UD Minors sets from 1994-01 all completed in blue.

Also just finished mine as soon as the last more difficult common arrives.  A 1986-87 Fleer basketball set PSA 9 or better, 132 card base set.  I waited too late on the stickers to complete that part of the set too.  The prices have exploded quickly, at least I got the Jordan before the massive part of the run up.  Really tempting to take them to an auction house at this point.  I've already had to take the key cards I bought for it to the box in the bank vault.  That was never the plan even though I knew the Jordan would appreciate, just nothing so high so fast.

I despise clutter, and don’t generally collect anything. But my parents left me a bunch of silver coins, and a few gold ones. No idea what to do with them.

Last year I added a “Trump defeats Covid” commemorative coin. It’s so absurd it’s gotta be worth something someday. 

I despise clutter, and don’t generally collect anything. But my parents left me a bunch of silver coins, and a few gold ones. No idea what to do with them.

Last year I added a “Trump defeats Covid” commemorative coin. It’s so absurd it’s gotta be worth something someday. 
I think part of what I like about coins is that they are small and don't take up much room, you can tuck them away in a small box or sack. I'm not a fan of collectibles that are dust collectors, except cars. If you have children save the coins for your kids or grandkids. Trump defeats Covid, too funny.

Me too. But I still have a big set of baseball cards from when I was a kid. What is interesting is my kids have no interest. I’m not even sure I want to do the work to see what it is worth. I’m waiting for my kids to complain about money and then I’m gonna make them a deal they do the work and it goes to college. 

I also have a few nice hockey and football jerseys. And some signed pictures on the walls. Hockey guys from college before hit it big. Also Pats guys from early 2000 s. 

Now that I am older I’ve gotten only a couple of paintings. 

I do like collecting old electronics. But to be honest, it isn’t worth much. I like take it apart and try figure how it works. I’m a sucker for taking electronics apart and looking at the craftsmanship and components. I like to research old electronics. But my wife hates it and throws a lot of it out after I have a carcass there too long. 🤣
Look at guitar pedals. A ts9 tube screamer from the 80s thst is made in Japan has far superior electronics and is worth about $325 today. They were only made there for two years, can’t remember where manufacturing was moved to but the other ones are garbage, about $30. This could be a useful hobby. 

I think part of what I like about coins is that they are small and don't take up much room, you can tuck them away in a small box or sack. I'm not a fan of collectibles that are dust collectors, except cars. If you have children save the coins for your kids or grandkids. Trump defeats Covid, too funny.
I don't collect coins but my Dad does but one thing about collecting coins that seemed to always make it easy/accesible is a unifom grading system.  Makes is much easier to value and understand what you are purchasing.  

Watches on the other hand are complete mess when it comes to condition.  Certain condition issues can actually increase value when originally it may have been a defect in the watch and collectors look for those defects.  

FairWarning said:
Probably  T-206 Tinker, Evers, and Chance tobacco cards.  Also to complete my 1984 Donruss set - autographed.  Down to 60 out of 660.
Would enjoy hearing the stories from the 84 Donruss set and who you have left.  I doubt I have any bc I usually got the 85 Fleer stuff from that era when I'd see the players or even later on as coaches or instructors in the minors.

FairWarning said:
let's see some pics, man! that's awesome. I may try to pick a cheap 90s set and do the same. :lol:  seems fun!

I'll post some pics this weekend, really only have one superstar left (Ryan).  The hardest from a glance - Jeff Jones Reds OF, not the P, Cesar Geronimo, Bo DIaz (died some time ago), Richard Barnes (pic of Neal Heaton)

I dont have the room for the collections I would love to have, but I do collect some vintage Disney literature. I have some old guide maps from the 70s, some old brochures and books, etc. I'm a designer so I love the vintage design style. I also have a bunch of old Disneyland pendants (those felt triangle things you would hang on your wall) that it appears dates back to the 50s and 60s. Good thing is these are mostly flat and store easily. If I had the room and coins I would love to get into actual theme park props and items used in the attractions, but I would need to add a room just for that stuff. Not keeping that stuff on display in my musty basement office. I do have a roll of 20k leagues under the sea seaweed, but thats about it. 

I dont have the room for the collections I would love to have, but I do collect some vintage Disney literature. I have some old guide maps from the 70s, some old brochures and books, etc. I'm a designer so I love the vintage design style. I also have a bunch of old Disneyland pendants (those felt triangle things you would hang on your wall) that it appears dates back to the 50s and 60s. Good thing is these are mostly flat and store easily. If I had the room and coins I would love to get into actual theme park props and items used in the attractions, but I would need to add a room just for that stuff. Not keeping that stuff on display in my musty basement office. I do have a roll of 20k leagues under the sea seaweed, but thats about it. 
Should have known you would have stuff like that.  When you are a contstant source of all things Disney you have to have some cool ideas.  

any here following this TopShot stuff?  

I am old, and don't get it ...seems scammy and being pumped by twitter guys who got in early
I have read about it but do not own any. Seemed scammy to me as well. Even less useful than the eTopps they did for a little while, which I did get in on a few. Even one of the early releases that didn't produce many. Eddie George, IIRC?

Shula-holic said:
Also just finished mine as soon as the last more difficult common arrives.  A 1986-87 Fleer basketball set PSA 9 or better, 132 card base set.  I waited too late on the stickers to complete that part of the set too.  The prices have exploded quickly, at least I got the Jordan before the massive part of the run up.  Really tempting to take them to an auction house at this point.  I've already had to take the key cards I bought for it to the box in the bank vault.  That was never the plan even though I knew the Jordan would appreciate, just nothing so high so fast.
Is there a sports card thread here?

I collected basketball cards in high school, most of it is in a box somewhere at my parent's house.   I do have some of the highlights of that '86 set here in my office, including the Jordan rookie, a few autographed Malone and Barkley and Ewing rookies, along with a few randoms like the Akeem Star rookie and the Magic/Bird/Dr. J card.  None of them are in bad shape but they aren't 9s or 10s either, so not sure if it's worth getting them graded.  Thoughts?  

ETA:  I haven't paid attention this stuff in 30 years but I'm confused the more I look into it.  Searching eBay for 1987 Topps Barry Bonds cards, and some are r $6,500, and others are selling for $20.  :shuked:

I collected basketball cards in high school, most of it is in a box somewhere at my parent's house.   I do have some of the highlights of that '86 set here in my office, including the Jordan rookie, a few autographed Malone and Barkley and Ewing rookies, along with a few randoms like the Akeem Star rookie and the Magic/Bird/Dr. J card.  None of them are in bad shape but they aren't 9s or 10s either, so not sure if it's worth getting them graded.  Thoughts?  

ETA:  I haven't paid attention this stuff in 30 years but I'm confused the more I look into it.  Searching eBay for 1987 Topps Barry Bonds cards, and some are r $6,500, and others are selling for $20.  :shuked:
There is a thread. Prob a few pages back now. The market, basketball in particular, is going crazy right now. Absolutely worth getting graded, IMO, even if you think they might be ~8's. Look on ebay and check the sold listings for comps. 

I think most of the stars are worth grading at least in PSA 5-6.  I will say PSA takes an extremely long time now to get back.  I've got an order that's been sitting there 4 months already, the last took 7 months.  It's all about the grade.  If you have the stickers in good shape, those have been the latest to explode.

I think most of the stars are worth grading at least in PSA 5-6.  I will say PSA takes an extremely long time now to get back.  I've got an order that's been sitting there 4 months already, the last took 7 months.  It's all about the grade.  If you have the stickers in good shape, those have been the latest to explode.
That's what I've been hearing, months and months to get them back.  I see there are a couple of other grading services, are they equal in how they are perceived, and if so are they any quicker?  I'm guessing the answer is no or PSA wouldn't be able to get away with taking over a half a year to return your cards.

Unfortunately I don't have the stickers here, they're in that box somewhere in at my parent's place. 

Yep. I don't have any waiting, but saw someone on Twitter post a message from PSA saying the oldest order they had "waiting to grade" was submitted in June. They are allegedly catching up. :lol:  

Users who are viewing this thread