What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

collectors - what's your most desired item? (1 Viewer)

I think most of the stars are worth grading at least in PSA 5-6.  I will say PSA takes an extremely long time now to get back.  I've got an order that's been sitting there 4 months already, the last took 7 months.  It's all about the grade.  If you have the stickers in good shape, those have been the latest to explode.
That is a long time, how do you ship them in a way you know they are same and won’t get damaged or lost? PSA is the best option for 80’s and 90’s cards mostly ?

That's what I've been hearing, months and months to get them back.  I see there are a couple of other grading services, are they equal in how they are perceived, and if so are they any quicker?  I'm guessing the answer is no or PSA wouldn't be able to get away with taking over a half a year to return your cards.

Unfortunately I don't have the stickers here, they're in that box somewhere in at my parent's place. 
PSA is the only way to with 86 Fleer type stuff.  You could use Beckett but the bottom line is they just won't bring as much.  You could sell them raw online as well but to get top dollar the best thing to do would be to round them up and send off to PSA.  Take a look at the prices recently on those stickers, it's worth a trip to your parents 🙂

That is a long time, how do you ship them in a way you know they are same and won’t get damaged or lost? PSA is the best option for 80’s and 90’s cards mostly ?
PSA asks that use send them in Card Saver I's.  With Covid, the manufacturing of card savers started drying up and with higher demand due to the explosion of interest during the pandemic, people started reselling the plastic card saver's for 3x or 4x on ebay.  It's started to normalize a bit now as Cardboard Gold, the original manufacturer, begins to catch up.  I sent one order recently in top loaders even though PSA advises not to.  However, PSA agreed to accept toploaders for awhile during the shortage.  I put them in penny sleeves then into top loaders.  They were much harder to secure than the old card savers.  Generally you want to put them in a stack of 15-20, but cardboard out and put at each end and secure them with a rubber band.  That way there's no movement and they are secure.

That last order was just for 86 Fleer commons which at one point I'd passed on grading.  It used to be if you didn't get a grade of 9 or 10 you didn't want to send those in.  Today if you can get 8's, even some 7's they are worth it even on the commons.  They have increased their economy grading fee though from $10 to $12.  Like a true expert I sent my last order in less than a week after the price increase so I could pay an extra $160 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSA asks that use send them in Card Saver I's.  With Covid, the manufacturing of card savers started drying up and with higher demand due to the explosion of interest during the pandemic, people started reselling the plastic card saver's for 3x or 4x on ebay.  It's started to normalize a bit now as Cardboard Gold, the original manufacturer, begins to catch up.  I sent one order recently in top loaders even though PSA advises not to.  However, PSA agreed to accept toploaders for awhile during the shortage.  I put them in penny sleeves then into top loaders.  They were much harder to secure than the old card savers.  Generally you want to put them in a stack of 15-20, but cardboard out and put at each end and secure them with a rubber band.  That way there's no movement and they are secure.

That last order was just for 86 Fleer commons which at one point I'd passed on grading.  It used to be if you didn't get a grade of 9 or 10 you didn't want to send those in.  Today if you can get 8's, even some 7's they are worth it even on the commons.  They have increased their economy grading fee though from $10 to $12.  Like a true expert I sent my last order in less than a week after the price increase so I could pay an extra $160 or so.
So it’s even worth grading commons holy cow I thought it was just the best card you want to grade? Where can I get an idea on pricing, I’m assuming it’s not Beckett and Tuff Stuff or whatever anymore?

So it’s even worth grading commons holy cow I thought it was just the best card you want to grade? Where can I get an idea on pricing, I’m assuming it’s not Beckett and Tuff Stuff or whatever anymore?
Go to ebay and look at completed auctions.  Search 1986 fleer psa and the player name.  Try searching in psa 8, it's very difficult to get 9's and 10's.  8's are really nice cards.

Go to ebay and look at completed auctions.  Search 1986 fleer psa and the player name.  Try searching in psa 8, it's very difficult to get 9's and 10's.  8's are really nice cards.
That’s interesting, I think I only have the “traded” set from that year and a couple Bonds RC the following year....thought those were going to pay my kids college.  :cry:

I have some star wars pez dispensers still in original packaging. These came out maybe 20 years ago when they re-released the movies back in the  theatre or something.

Probably worth nothing. 

You guys might think this is stupid, but I collect tea cups. It is something I use so I don’t mind the space allocation. My preference is Eastern European. Or occupied Japan. I have one occupied Japan. I have a few different Eastern European. One I had that was broken was Czechoslovakian. Since the country is two countries now, they aren’t made anymore. So if you see one in an antique store, get it for me if it’s under $20. Just look on the bottom and it says where they are made. 

That’s interesting, I think I only have the “traded” set from that year and a couple Bonds RC the following year....thought those were going to pay my kids college.  :cry:
I left 5000 count boxes of late 80s and early 90s stuff behind at my parents estate sale just three weeks ago to not have to move them to my basement

You guys might think this is stupid, but I collect tea cups. It is something I use so I don’t mind the space allocation. My preference is Eastern European. Or occupied Japan. I have one occupied Japan. I have a few different Eastern European. One I had that was broken was Czechoslovakian. Since the country is two countries now, they aren’t made anymore. So if you see one in an antique store, get it for me if it’s under $20. Just look on the bottom and it says where they are made. 
my wife inherited some Japanese tea sets from her grandpa who was there in WWII.  kind of always wondered if they were worth anything. not that she'll do anything other than pass them on to our kids.

my wife inherited some Japanese tea sets from her grandpa who was there in WWII.  kind of always wondered if they were worth anything. not that she'll do anything other than pass them on to our kids.
I don’t know if they’re worth anything more than cherished memories. Nobody wants the old stuff anymore. Older folks are having a hard time giving their things away!

My family always collected stuff like this,  but mainly Delftware.  Blue & white tea cups, plates, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delftware

Don't collect anything unless you count my bourbon - I don't as I open everything I buy and none of it is ridiculous in price.  Have about 50 bottles - @[icon] is probably the FBG collector in that area.  I don't really see a reason to collect if you don't plan to drink it.  I could see flipping some bottles to get other things but I don't have the money or desire to just have bottles sit just to say I have them.

Don't collect anything unless you count my bourbon - I don't as I open everything I buy and none of it is ridiculous in price.  Have about 50 bottles - @[icon] is probably the FBG collector in that area.  I don't really see a reason to collect if you don't plan to drink it.  I could see flipping some bottles to get other things but I don't have the money or desire to just have bottles sit just to say I have them.
Agreed. The guys who have entire rooms dedicated to a thousand Jack Daniels bottles sitting collecting dust are just weird. 

70% of my bottles are open. The ones that aren't are duplicates (I have cases of OWA and ER picks) or high value ones I'm selling eventually :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually collect bourbon bottles.  

Maker's Mark has done hundreds--maybe thousands of special edition bottles.  They've done several University of Kentucky and University of Louisville bottles.  Thye've done several horse bottles.  And tons of random stuff from breast cancer awareness to bottles for artists.  

I'm not a Louisville fan by any means, but the Louisville bottles look sweet.  And the holy grail is the U of L Orange Bowl bottle.  Just impossible to find.  

I collect sportscards and watches.  Hard to name true favorites.  In watches--my go to right now is an IWC rose gold Portuguese chronograph.  In my sportscards--I have 6 topps Lebron rookies (5 are at PSA right now).   I also have a sealed case (2 briefcases) of 2018-2019 flawless basketball.   

jm192 said:

Maker's Mark has done hundreds--maybe thousands of special edition bottles.  They've done several University of Kentucky and University of Louisville bottles.  Thye've done several horse bottles.  And tons of random stuff from breast cancer awareness to bottles for artists.  

I'm not a Louisville fan by any means, but the Louisville bottles look sweet.  And the holy grail is the U of L Orange Bowl bottle.  Just impossible to find.  
I like this guy.

jm192 said:

I remember the NFL series Makers Mark offered some time ago, dipped the wax in team colors.  The Lions bottles sold out fast here, looked sharp.  I seem to recall the Saints were hard, don't think these were made in equal amounts.

What's the best way to purchase silver coins? I want to start collecting them but don't know anything, lol. After I aquire some how do I track what they are worth?

Users who are viewing this thread