What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dice are in the air! FBG Backgammon is LIVE (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
Post here if you want to play in the FBG backgammon tournament.  

Matches will be played at www.backgammongalaxy.com so you will have to register for a free account. It's painless.  Then post your galaxy name here.

Structure TBD as it depends on number of entrants but in all likelihood, each player will play a series of 7 point matches.

My galaxy name is Chet (note the uppercase C).

Enrollment will close on Tuesday Feb 16 at 8pm EST.

Entrants (FBG/Galaxy)

@chet        Chet

@johnnycakes     Johnnycakes

@fatguyinalittlecoat  fatguyinalittlecoat

@Murph    Murph

@nysfl2     nysfl2

@CGRdrJoe     @Joe Mammy Joe Mammy

@bostonfred  NO GALAXY NAME YET

@The Iguana iggy

@CletiusMaximus  FBGCM

@ragincajun  Ragincajun

@culdeus culdeus

@kardplayer kardplayer

@Joe MammyDeleted Spot

Link to spreadsheet

Last edited by a moderator:
We had an ffa tournament about 10 years ago. I don’t remember who won, but I recall playing against BananaFish. I’m far from a serious player though. 

I've got no real skill (evaluating equity and cube play) but I like it well enough and would play for ####s and giggles.  It is/was a good gambling game but computers opened the kimono.  

Not serious, but I do enjoy a game from time to time.

If you don't count pips you're not a player.

I was taught by a math professor while in my teens. He gave me a book, "Backgammon for Blood". Opened my eyes.

There was a bar in Jax in the 80's that held tourneys once a week and there were always people looking to play for money. Good times!

wikkidpissah said:
backinaday, every Persian in Reno would spit at the mention of my name, but it's been a while....

DA RAIDERS said:
i like to play, but am not serious about it.

can you roll doubles a lot?

Double 4's in college used mean bong hits.

Ahh - good times.

Put me down as someone who might be interested (depending my schedule).  Played a lot 25 yrs ago, but haven't lately.

Yes, this. I've played a few but not found one I truly like. 
Some of you people should sign up in here.

We are up to 13.  Any suggestions on structure?  I think 7-point matches are a good idea but what about the rounds?  I was thinking maybe have 5 rounds with the top 8 advancing to sudden death.  That way everyone gets 5 matches minimum. 

We are up to 13.  Any suggestions on structure?  I think 7-point matches are a good idea but what about the rounds?  I was thinking maybe have 5 rounds with the top 8 advancing to sudden death.  That way everyone gets 5 matches minimum. 
I've never played at Galaxy. Are the 7 point matches played with the cube, gammons (double), backgammons (triple)? Can you beaver a cube offer?

I've never played at Galaxy. Are the 7 point matches played with the cube, gammons (double), backgammons (triple)? Can you beaver a cube offer?
Cube is in play every game except the Crawford game--the Crawford game is when one of the players is one point away from victory.  In a 7-point match the Crawford game is when the first player reaches 6-points.  All gammons and backgammons count for double and triple respectively. i.e. Jacoby rule not in effect. Beaver is a money game feature and as such, not applicable here.

Works for me.

might be sad that @nysfl2 pointed me over here. been a long time casual player of the game... watching those couple of videos and playing a few games on this site with it giving me a "rating" for the game is probably going to kick in my obsessive personality... totally enthralled by the video breaking down the video and realize a number of my weaknesses... 

Anyone want to play a match on Backgammon Galaxy?  I'll set up a match and accept the first FBG I recognize who responds.  

Works for me too.

Unless there are objections, I will cut off enrollment on Tuesday.  Are there any sites which will set up a schedule randomly if we set the parameters? Any suggestions on how to do that?

I played a couple of matches with Joe Mammy today.  He needs to watch the clock but he's got game!
I was able to watch some of your play with Mammy.  The ability to observe like that is a feature I like about Galaxy.  If only they would move the pieces one by one and at a speed that mimics that of real play.  

I was able to watch some of your play with Mammy.  The ability to observe like that is a feature I like about Galaxy.  If only they would move the pieces one by one and at a speed that mimics that of real play.  
I had no idea we were being observed.  

I played a couple of matches with Joe Mammy today.  He needs to watch the clock but he's got game!
The first match I played I lost in forfeit because I didn't figure out you have to click the dice when you are finished moving and I timed out. And when your opponent moves you don't see him moving the pieces- it just happens when completed.

I also timed out my first game with Chet right at the end, I slipped on the time constraints- POW, over, you lose. 

I'm also not to keen on the computer scoring your moves and giving you an error %. You can win your match but if the loser has a lower error% than you then you get no point rating reward. I like to play very wide open in the beginning and I think the computer is punishing me for some of my early risk taking.

For instance, if my opener is a 5-3 I never make the 3 point anchor. Instead I make a try for the 5 point and hope the opponent whiffs and then I can make the anchor.

The first match I played I lost in forfeit because I didn't figure out you have to click the dice when you are finished moving and I timed out. And when your opponent moves you don't see him moving the pieces- it just happens when completed.

I also timed out my first game with Chet right at the end, I slipped on the time constraints- POW, over, you lose. 

I'm also not to keen on the computer scoring your moves and giving you an error %. You can win your match but if the loser has a lower error% than you then you get no point rating reward. I like to play very wide open in the beginning and I think the computer is punishing me for some of my early risk taking.

For instance, if my opener is a 5-3 I never make the 3 point anchor. Instead I make a try for the 5 point and hope the opponent whiffs and then I can make the anchor.
Yeah, the computer would rate that a pretty big error and probably a blunder.  The rating system (Extreme Gammon) simply looks at your chance of winning with a certain checker setup and compares it to the alternatives.  Some of the world's best play there and looking back at matches for errors is a very strong learning tool.  I remember having to import my matches to Snowie and then wait as it evaluated them.  Had to rely on 2-ply as 3-ply was just too time consuming.  

There was a recent tournament final of 12 7-point matches featuring two of the strongest players in the world.  One point was awarded for winning the match and one point was awarded for having the lowest error rate.

I’m actually going to withdraw, played enough games to not want to ever play again online. I like live play where a roll is nice and random, somehow the perfect roll keeps happening in my matches. 

I’m actually going to withdraw, played enough games to not want to ever play again online. I like live play where a roll is nice and random, somehow the perfect roll keeps happening in my matches. 
oh come on

please reconsider

I’ve never played at the site before is there a way to turn the timer off?  Seems unnecessary and inconvenient for our purposes.
No, but we will play casual which is 3 min/point + 15 seconds / turn.  That should be plenty for everyone.

So in a 7-point match, every turn starts with 15 seconds.  When those 15 s run out, your clock with 21 minutes starts counting down.  Only when that clock runs out do you resign. 

No, but we will play casual which is 3 min/point + 15 seconds / turn.  That should be plenty for everyone.
It’s not so much about the speed of moving, it’s more about “I gotta go put my kid to bed” or “I have to do some work.”  In the chess tournament a single game is typically stretched out over several days and people can move whenever they have some free time.  This is more of a commitment. Posters have to block off a big chunk of time to play.

Users who are viewing this thread