What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's Freezing in Texas, please shut the freezer door up north...... (1 Viewer)

coopersdad

Footballguy
Ice storm today, coldest temperatures in 40 years over the weekend, and then 7-12 inches of snow on Sunday night into Monday (I guess with it being that cold, it will be good powder). I know some of you in the midwest are experiencing the same thing, but we are not used to this.  Baseball season was supposed to start on Saturday w/ scrimmages all next week........not gonna happen.

Stay warm and stay safe.

DFW

Sat 13 31°/21° Cloudy 14% NNE 16 mph

Sun 14 26°/8° Cloudy 24% NNE 19 mph

Mon 15 14°/1° AM Snow Showers 40% NNW 16 mph

Tue 16 26°/20° Mostly Cloudy 22% ESE 12 mph

Wed 17 33°/20° Wintry Mix 56% NE 15 mph

Thu 18 37°/22° Partly Cloudy 18% NNW 16 mph

The video that’s out there of this crash is hard to watch.  Viewer discretion advised.   :(

I hope all our pals down there are safe. 

Western Wisconsin says, I'll take your weather, you can have ours ..

High today -4, tomorrow -2, Sunday -4..... Lows -15 to -25. That is Air temperature.. Prediction is -30 to -50 wind chills throughout the weekend..

By Monday we might make it back to zero :excited:  

With every passing winter, I’m more and more glad that I live in Florida now. Today’s high is 81 degrees.

That crash looked awful, hope the survivors can recover soon.

After watching those videos I feel like it's a miracle only 5 people lost their lives.  Absolutely terrifying.
I just saw the videos on Twitter. Horrifying. 

Sadly drivers don't slow it down enough, even in unexpected and icy conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 1 here with at -15 windchill--probably 2-3 inches fell last night here in Colorado. The weekend is going to be worse. I am going out to get provisions---alcohol, a few snack items and roses for my wife--otherwise I plan to spend the weekend inside. 

The video that’s out there of this crash is hard to watch.  Viewer discretion advised.   :(

If its the one I saw with the guy on the other side of the highway swearing up the storm :cry: .  Travelled I-35 many times between Fort Worth and Plano for work.  Tough to see. 

When that Fed Ex truck went barreling in I figured at least one of the deaths had to occur there. 

I know they tell people not to get out of their cars in accidents like this, but I can't imagine sitting there watching this 18 wheeler bearing down on you in your rearview and knowing it has no way of stopping. 

Courtjester said:
It is 1 here with at -15 windchill--probably 2-3 inches fell last night here in Colorado. The weekend is going to be worse. I am going out to get provisions---alcohol, a few snack items and roses for my wife--otherwise I plan to spend the weekend inside. 
Ya, woke up to -14 actual temperature in MN this morning.  The only silver lining is my dog only wants to go out twice a day in this weather.  In the summer she's at the door every other hour.

snogger said:

High today -4, tomorrow -2, Sunday -4..... Lows -15 to -25. That is Air temperature.. Prediction is -30 to -50 wind chills throughout the weekend..

Here in SE Wisconsin we have a heat wave compared to you, high of 14 today.

urbanhack said:

I was unfortunately going the other way on I-35 about an 30 mins after this happened. The pictures and videos almost don't do it justice. To see an 18-wheeler not only embedded into the back of another trailer, but also up in the air and on top of other cars, several times down a quarter mile stretch was insane. Never seen anything like it. 

Man, I've seen some bad accidents over the years (mostly on video, but one in particular in person), but that may be the worst I've seen.  Just the worst combination of circumstances.  Bad weather, an area that typically doesn't see said weather regularly, and agencies involved that were already stretched thin due to Covid.  It is amazing that they got everyone out of there as quickly as they did.  Unfortunately, I also read that it's possible that the road wasn't treated properly (for the incoming weather) due to the agency that would normally do so being short-staffed.  Salted, sanded, or whatever they use in Texas.  Not sure if that's true, but it would certainly make sense.

I can't imagine being in the middle of all of that, much less with kids in the car.  What do you do, with literally maybe seconds to decide?  You're a sitting duck if you stay put, but you're always told to NOT get out of the car in situations like that.  Brutal.  😢

I was unfortunately going the other way on I-35 about an 30 mins after this happened. The pictures and videos almost don't do it justice. To see an 18-wheeler not only embedded into the back of another trailer, but also up in the air and on top of other cars, several times down a quarter mile stretch was insane. Never seen anything like it. 
I will be eternally grateful that our Manager in Dallas had the foresight to ground our fleet. No question they would have been in that area if he hadn't made that call.

snogger said:

:lol:   I was just about to joke with the OP that we are about 40-50 degrees lower than that weather down there. 

It took a walk mile at dawn this morning -7° with 19 mile an hour winds -30 wind chill.  

Smoked two joints enjoyed the walk. 
today's high was -5, tonight -14, high tomorrow -2, low tomorrow night -22.. I figure the falls should be mostly frozen by Sunday morning  so...... challenge accepted.. Sunday morning going to attempt a hike down and get some  :pics:

today's high was -5, tonight -14, high tomorrow -2, low tomorrow night -22.. I figure the falls should be mostly frozen by Sunday morning  so...... challenge accepted.. Sunday morning going to attempt a hike down and get some  :pics:
I can't remember if MN/WI got above zero yesterday, though I think it was above zero in Minneapolis on Wednesday. It's not supposed to get above zero until Tuesday at this point, so that's easily 4 days without getting above zero, potentially 6 or 7 days straight.  The OP probably laughs at us in MN when we complain that it's too hot, but for now I'm going to chuckle about the OP complaining about highs in the 30s. 

I can't remember if MN/WI got above zero yesterday, though I think it was above zero in Minneapolis on Wednesday. It's not supposed to get above zero until Tuesday at this point, so that's easily 4 days without getting above zero, potentially 6 or 7 days straight.  The OP probably laughs at us in MN when we complain that it's too hot, but for now I'm going to chuckle about the OP complaining about highs in the 30s. 
Highs in the 30s? That mid-Oct around these parts! 

Houston may get down to single digits.  That's only happened four times since records have been kept.  The wind is not helping me feel better.

News tonight said that the last time it wasn't above zero in the twin cities on Valentines day was 1923 .. Current forecast is for -4.  :popcorn:

Supposedly the worst cold spell we've had (eastern Nebraska) since 1983.  I think I remember that time only because I remember being outside without a coat when it finally broke and got into the low 30s.

Current forecast has a low of -25 on Sunday and -21 Monday.  🥶 

The difference is, we just aren't used to it here in South Texas, nor equipped to handle it. San Antonio will close down if there is ice. We just don't have a way to keep roads open and the Dallas accident is exactly what happens if the city doesn't close. The other big worry is electric usage, which is expected to shatter records. Our little ol' heat pumps will struggle to heat a home, and if emergency heat kicks on, you can sit and watch the meter spin. I'd kill to have my Northern blood back, but it has long ago thinned out due to the Texas heat. I no longer tolerate the cold well.

Edit: I should probably bookmark this so I can remind myself come August when I'm complaining about the 30th straight day of 100+ heat.

10 degrees in Colorado or Utah is very different (usually) than 10 degrees in Vermont or Maine.  

It just is.  10 degrees in CO, a nice hat and a thick hoodie and you're good, especially during the day.

10 degrees in New England you can feel it in your spine, sometimes.  

Is there a stupid saying that would be the equivalent of "but it's a dry heat" for extreme cold?
At least its not windy?
Nope.  We are supposed to have 25-30mph winds on Tuesday.  David Paul of our local CBS affiliate KHOU said the words "Houston" and "blizzard" in the same sentence.  He suggested taking a picture of the weather forecast, since we were unlikely to ever see that again.  This is not good.

Nope.  We are supposed to have 25-30mph winds on Tuesday.  David Paul of our local CBS affiliate KHOU said the words "Houston" and "blizzard" in the same sentence.  He suggested taking a picture of the weather forecast, since we were unlikely to ever see that again.  This is not good.
Forecast 1-4 inches here. Last time that forecast happened, people woke up to 18" of snow in 1985.

Man, I've seen some bad accidents over the years (mostly on video, but one in particular in person), but that may be the worst I've seen.  Just the worst combination of circumstances.  Bad weather, an area that typically doesn't see said weather regularly, and agencies involved that were already stretched thin due to Covid.  It is amazing that they got everyone out of there as quickly as they did.  Unfortunately, I also read that it's possible that the road wasn't treated properly (for the incoming weather) due to the agency that would normally do so being short-staffed.  Salted, sanded, or whatever they use in Texas.  Not sure if that's true, but it would certainly make sense.

I can't imagine being in the middle of all of that, much less with kids in the car.  What do you do, with literally maybe seconds to decide?  You're a sitting duck if you stay put, but you're always told to NOT get out of the car in situations like that.  Brutal.  😢
Having lived up north my whole life, I've been in many highway situations where it's dark, slippery as hell and someone lost it up ahead. Every has to come to a quick stop and I'm always worried that the folks behind me aren't going to be able to stop. Luckily, I've never been in any bad accidents, but that scares me every time. 

But you have to stay in the vehicle. You don't stand a chance on foot unless you can run WAY off the side of the road. In the vehicle you at least have metal around you.

I'm in Moorhead, MN right now (the Minnesota side of the river across from Fargo, ND).

It's currently a balmy -22 degrees. But at least there's no wind. 

Coldest I've ever been in is -42 in Warroad, MN for a hockey tournament. That was amazing!

Having lived up north my whole life, I've been in many highway situations where it's dark, slippery as hell and someone lost it up ahead. Every has to come to a quick stop and I'm always worried that the folks behind me aren't going to be able to stop. Luckily, I've never been in any bad accidents, but that scares me every time. 
I had to abandon the road in Amarillo one winter. I was moving the family from GA to AZ and had to travel. I pulled off in to a podunk middle of nowhere truck stop and we went in the diner and got coffee and hot chocolate. I stood near the window and quit counting the accidents at around the 32 vehicle mark. I will never forget the poor younger woman beside me. As an 18 wheeler was unable to stop and plowed right in to the back of her sedan, she turned to me and said "I can't look, how bad is the green car?" I said "Is it a hatchback?" and she replied "No." All I could say was "It is now." Her trunk had basically been compacted right up to the rear window.

We ended up spending the night in a fleabag motel that night. It was so bad, I actually dug out a pistol that was packed in a box for the move and took it in with me. The door lock didn't even function and all it had was a chain. Sure enough, about 2 a.m. a drunk trying to get out of the cold tried to come inside. The chain held, but there was no sleep that night. When we left the next morning about 5:30 a.m., he was asleep on the concrete just outside the door. I let him know the room was available now.

Local Philly guy said they might get 18-24 inches of snow in Northern Louisiana this week.  How often do they get snow there?

I'm in Moorhead, MN right now (the Minnesota side of the river across from Fargo, ND).

It's currently a balmy -22 degrees. But at least there's no wind. 

Coldest I've ever been in is -42 in Warroad, MN for a hockey tournament. That was amazing!
Detroit Michigan, Christmas week, 1998.  I was surveying an old Ames store on Van Dyke @ 12 mile road.  It was -30 with 20 mph winds.  I smoked at that time, and made the mistake of holding the cigarette in my mouth for about 30 seconds.  It froze to my lips and when I pulled it out, it took a chunk out my my bottom lip that bled for 3 days....

I will say this about the lack of wind.  I was dreading going out to shovel for the 7th time this winter (new record).  But despite it being 3 degrees out, it's actually "pleasant" due to the lack of wind.  The cold for sure helps keep the snow a nice light powder.

Users who are viewing this thread