What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chain Grocery Store "Butcher" Stories & Other Tales (1 Viewer)

Ok, now an important question.  What meat grinder do you own/recomend as I like this idea.  
I started out with this grinder. It worked really well for just a quick grind of one chuck roast. but, when I started grinding larger batches for sausage, etc. it became a bit too much work.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JX0ENHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I moved up to this bad boy.  It isn't as big as what people processing a lot of game use, but it will handle way more than I care to throw at it.  I can grind 20+ pounds of meat in maybe 10 minutes max? And it never even slows down. But, when I bought it it was about half the current price.

https://smile.amazon.com/Powerful-STX-Turboforce-Classic-Electric/dp/B08HRXPH88/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08HRXPH88&psc=1

That chip-chop ham sounds like something that can be done much better with a new blade. Or at least a freshly-sharpened one.
backinaday, they did it with a hammer and chisel.

Michelangelo started out as a counter boy at the Carrara Isaly's. One guy's chip-chop order came out in the form of the melting wing of Icarus and they promoted him to the quarry.

I started out with this grinder. It worked really well for just a quick grind of one chuck roast. but, when I started grinding larger batches for sausage, etc. it became a bit too much work.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JX0ENHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I moved up to this bad boy.  It isn't as big as what people processing a lot of game use, but it will handle way more than I care to throw at it.  I can grind 20+ pounds of meat in maybe 10 minutes max? And it never even slows down. But, when I bought it it was about half the current price.

https://smile.amazon.com/Powerful-STX-Turboforce-Classic-Electric/dp/B08HRXPH88/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08HRXPH88&psc=1
Think I am going to have to go all in on this because you don't want to get just get the tip when dealing with grinding meat.  

Just came home from Kroger and had another "experience" with the manager of the meat department.  I am not a demanding guy ...but for some reason I have had ongoing issues with this guy and the deli people at Walmart for several years.  The Walmart deli people run in behind the wall behind the counter when they see me coming (I'll explain later ...)

First of all, let's be frank ...calling these people "butchers" is like calling me a heart surgeon.  

I live in a suburb of a decent sized city that does not a true butcher shop.  We do have something closer than what the chain stores offer, but it's 20 plus minutes away and sometimes it just doesn't work out for me to go there.  

Anyone else run into this?  What are your stories?

Today's experience with the fat, lazy ******* meat department manager at Kroger:

(background:  this guy always purposely doesn't look at you and fiddles with something for 10-15 seconds before acknowledging you with a non-friendly "yeah ...". He then proceeds with short, non-informative answers to your questions, and a disgusted grimace when you have to ask follow up questions to try and understand what the hell is going on). 

Set up:  Kroger Wednesday's flyer - $19.99 lobster tails, I show up at the meat/seafood counter at 2:30pm Wednesday.  I see no lobster or even a space for them.  Manager guy sees me standing there and averts his eye contact and proceeds to shuffle meat trays for a bit ...accomplishing nothing. Finally he looks up:

KMgr:  yeah?

Binky:  I was looking for that lobster that was on sale.

KMgr:  All sold out.  

Binky:  Wow - it's a week long sale, you're out already?

KMgr:  yep.   (doesn't offer any other information ...LIKE WHEN MORE ARE COMING????)

Binky:  When are you getting more? (Based on past experiences ...I want to ask why the #### did he not order more - it's a GD week sale!!!)

KMgr:  truck tonight.

Binky:  ok, thanks!

Come back next day at 1pm (today/Thursday) ...we had a bit of snow/ice but roads are decent and Kroger is fully open.  Go to meat/deli counter ...completely empty like the department is closed. I assume it's close due to weather.  KMgr walks out from the back, makes eye contact ...then ignores me.  Weighs a large vacuum-packed tenderloin for a bit and slaps the sticker on it.  

Binky:  yeah, I was looking for those lobster tails on sale

KMgr:  they ain't out.

Binky:  where are they? I thought they were supposed to come in last night?

KMgr:  they're on the truck

(I pause, waiting on him to fill in the blanks ...nothing)

Binky:  is the truck here? (thinking maybe it got delayed due to weather/road conditions)

KMgr:  yeah.

(again ...pause, waiting for the mystery of the tails to be unveiled ...nothing)

Binky:  when might the tails be unloaded?

KMgr:  tomorrow (wait ...what?)

Binky:  tomorrow??

KMgr:  yeah, department called off, can't be unloaded (thoroughly disgusted look as though I should have already understood that through his grunts)

(scene)

Hey, it wasn't his fault the department called off - it's this guy's attitude.  Clearly this guy has an issue with me, I haven't stuck around to see how he treats other customers but I do know I've never seen him move faster than a snail's pace and his only expression is that of a depressed nihilist. 

Next up - KMgr Christmas story and selling suet within the limits of the law

Coming soon - the Walmart deli group and the impossibility of chipped (shaved) chopped ham lunchmeat. 
Yeah.  I'm pushing my chips in on you being at least half of the problem.  You get back what you throw out and I have a really hard time thinking your side of it is as innocent and passive as the exchange up there.  Which is fine.  No skin off my back.  I just can't get behind the fact that all these random meat guys have this mystical grudge against you.

Just came home from Kroger and had another "experience" with the manager of the meat department.  I am not a demanding guy
Simple solution.

Don't deal with the manager of the meat department.

Phone store.

Ask for store manager.  Since you aren't demanding ask nicely about sale items and when they will be available.  Explain you came in and they weren't available and that you would like a rain check.

The store manager will provide.

You will get your items at price without any issues.

Problem solved.

What kind of suburb doesn't have a real butcher shop?  I have two stand alone butchers, one butcher connected to a convenience store, two (soon to be three) grocery stores with butchers, a Sams and a Costco all within 10 minutes of my house.  I assumed this would be normal, but I guess I'm lucky. :shrug:  

Scoresman said:
I worked in a butcher shop for 9 years, and there were definitely customers where when they came in, we would “head for zee hills” and whatever poor schmuck was left had to wait on them. 

Fun fact: One of them was Bill Romanowski’s wife. 
Binky is Mrs Romanowski? The plot thickens.

Binky The Doormat said:
Just came home from Kroger and had another "experience" with the manager of the meat department.  I am not a demanding guy ...but for some reason I have had ongoing issues with this guy and the deli people at Walmart for several years.  The Walmart deli people run in behind the wall behind the counter when they see me coming (I'll explain later ...)

First of all, let's be frank ...calling these people "butchers" is like calling me a heart surgeon.  

I live in a suburb of a decent sized city that does not a true butcher shop.  We do have something closer than what the chain stores offer, but it's 20 plus minutes away and sometimes it just doesn't work out for me to go there.  

Anyone else run into this?  What are your stories?

Today's experience with the fat, lazy ******* meat department manager at Kroger:

(background:  this guy always purposely doesn't look at you and fiddles with something for 10-15 seconds before acknowledging you with a non-friendly "yeah ...". He then proceeds with short, non-informative answers to your questions, and a disgusted grimace when you have to ask follow up questions to try and understand what the hell is going on). 

Set up:  Kroger Wednesday's flyer - $19.99 lobster tails, I show up at the meat/seafood counter at 2:30pm Wednesday.  I see no lobster or even a space for them.  Manager guy sees me standing there and averts his eye contact and proceeds to shuffle meat trays for a bit ...accomplishing nothing. Finally he looks up:

Binky:  I was looking for that lobster that was on sale.

KMgr:  All sold out.  

Binky:  Wow - it's a week long sale, you're out already?

KMgr:  yep.   (doesn't offer any other information ...LIKE WHEN MORE ARE COMING????)

Binky:  When are you getting more? (Based on past experiences ...I want to ask why the #### did he not order more - it's a GD week sale!!!)

KMgr:  truck tonight.

Binky:  ok, thanks!

Come back next day at 1pm (today/Thursday) ...we had a bit of snow/ice but roads are decent and Kroger is fully open.  Go to meat/deli counter ...completely empty like the department is closed. I assume it's close due to weather.  KMgr walks out from the back, makes eye contact ...then ignores me.  Weighs a large vacuum-packed tenderloin for a bit and slaps the sticker on it.  

Binky:  yeah, I was looking for those lobster tails on sale

KMgr:  they ain't out.

Binky:  where are they? I thought they were supposed to come in last night?

KMgr:  they're on the truck

(I pause, waiting on him to fill in the blanks ...nothing)

Binky:  is the truck here? (thinking maybe it got delayed due to weather/road conditions)

KMgr:  yeah.

(again ...pause, waiting for the mystery of the tails to be unveiled ...nothing)

Binky:  when might the tails be unloaded?

KMgr:  tomorrow (wait ...what?)

Binky:  tomorrow??

KMgr:  yeah, department called off, can't be unloaded (thoroughly disgusted look as though I should have already understood that through his grunts)

(scene)

Hey, it wasn't his fault the department called off - it's this guy's attitude.  Clearly this guy has an issue with me, I haven't stuck around to see how he treats other customers but I do know I've never seen him move faster than a snail's pace and his only expression is that of a depressed nihilist. 

Next up - KMgr Christmas story and selling suet within the limits of the law

Coming soon - the Walmart deli group and the impossibility of chipped (shaved) chopped ham lunchmeat. 
Kroger will give you a rain check for any sale items that ar not in stock.  Get a RC and go back a few weeks later when they is a nice selection.  Have done that a number of times.

That being said one time at the Kroger by my home pre-COVID there was a grumpy meat counter guy.  I was the only one standing there as he was cutting up some product.  After a minute or two i said excuse me could I get some help.  He looked up and said just a minute I until I finish here.  I don`t say anything and about a minute or two later he puts his stuff away, walks over like he is pissed and just give me a "what do you want look?"  I say  "Am I bothering you or something?"  He gets me a couple of pieces of salmon, wraps it up and just puts in on the counter with saying a word.

So When I check out I see the manager and he always says "How is it going or something like that"  I say good but your meat counter guy has an attitude issue.  Right away he said "This is about the tenth time I have heard that, I will handle it today"   Next time I went in there grumpy was stocking can goods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Binky The Doormat said:
I'm with ya, but there is a difference - you can't find the slab of pork roll anywhere but a few places in the country.

This is the same block of processed meat.  It's just the slicing of it.  

Especially love the ones that try and tell that it can't be done - like their "deli professionals" and they know.
You try and order a pork roll, egg and cheese outside of NJ or, if you are a communist a "Taylor Ham" sandwich and you basically get blank stares.  Tons of other examples for local foods, etc.  Think you just need to deal with that somethings won't be able to be recreated outside of your home areas.

Bracie Smathers said:
Simple solution.

Don't deal with the manager of the meat department.

Phone store.

Ask for store manager.  Since you aren't demanding ask nicely about sale items and when they will be available.  Explain you came in and they weren't available and that you would like a rain check.

The store manager will provide.

You will get your items at price without any issues.

Problem solved.
the tails are for Valentines Day so it becomes a timing issue.

the meat dept routinely runs out of especially good deals the first day or two after the Wednesday sales flyer comes out - don't know if it's "corporate" ordering guidelines or my local kroger management meat dept or store.  

I routinely have to get rainchecks.  Always fun to wait in line on all of the lotto ticket buyers. 

What kind of suburb doesn't have a real butcher shop?  I have two stand alone butchers, one butcher connected to a convenience store, two (soon to be three) grocery stores with butchers, a Sams and a Costco all within 10 minutes of my house.  I assumed this would be normal, but I guess I'm lucky. :shrug:  
we have a Sam's across town about 30 min. away - no Costco in our area unfortunately.  

the Sam's just isn't close enough to use on a weekly basis.

belljr said:
Sounds like you need to buy your own slicer 

Top if the line 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X5JWBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_2XTVNZWRQ3HPV7AXGDTC
That looks awesome.  I have a Chef's Choice but not that model.  It was $100 and had really good reviews ...it's ok. 

Don't know how many of you in here have something like this, the problem with the one I have is that the adjustment dial doesn't "lock" in - so when you're slicing with pressure on the block of meat the dial will slowly move to a thicker set.  It's like you need one person to hold the adjustment dial and one to slice.  Also, the blade is just a wee bit angled - and the slices tend to be a slightly different thickness from front to back.  

It's hard to keep the blades sharp (I wouldn't know how to sharpen it ...) and you need a good, heavy sharp blade for super thin slices.

That looks awesome.  I have a Chef's Choice but not that model.  It was $100 and had really good reviews ...it's ok. 

Don't know how many of you in here have something like this, the problem with the one I have is that the adjustment dial doesn't "lock" in - so when you're slicing with pressure on the block of meat the dial will slowly move to a thicker set.  It's like you need one person to hold the adjustment dial and one to slice.  Also, the blade is just a wee bit angled - and the slices tend to be a slightly different thickness from front to back.  

It's hard to keep the blades sharp (I wouldn't know how to sharpen it ...) and you need a good, heavy sharp blade for super thin slices.
And now you know all the #### deli workers have to deal with....  :P

And now you know all the #### deli workers have to deal with....  :P
ok come on bell!  :D

they are working with 200lb machines with big heavy blades that cost thousands of dollars and get sharpened regularly (no idea what they weight but I do know they are very heavy)

Christmas & The Outlaw Suet 

this past Christmas we had my MIL, BIL and his daughter over for a couple of days for the holiday and planned for a rib roast and a lot of extra Yorkshire pudding and gravy so we needed more beef dripping than the roast was going to be able to give us.  My wife assigned me the job of getting the roast and extra beef fat.

We have discussed Yorkshire pudding in holiday threads around here so if you haven't had it, you likely know what it is - beef fat infused bread with a crunchy outside and fluffy interior.  Simply glorious. As good as the rib roast is ...it's the highlight of the meal.  You gotta have a bunch of beef drippings really hot ...I mean poppin'.  Then you pour your batter in and bake at high heat.

I knew beef suet wasn't as prevalent in grocery stores as it used to be. It used to always be there ...with the femur bones sliced for soup (used to buy them for my dog) - and cost a little bit of nothing.  Now those bones are no where to be found ...they're being sold out at crazy prices to fancy restaurants for bone marrow appetizers.  

scene:  same Kroger, same meat dept mgr - a few days before Christmas - I walk up to the counter, we make eye contact, he pretends to shuffle meat trays for a bit, before acknowledging me (per usual)

Binky:  I would like to buy some beef suet - I don't see any out here

KMgr:  It's again the law to sell you suet.

Binky:  What?? ...against the law??

KMgr:  uh well ...uh ...well it's against Kroger policy to sell it to the public

This seemed to get the attention of a couple of his minions.  He's not an especially big man, but I guess these two assistants are very short - the two gather at each of his shoulders and then look up at him as if to say "yes master, tell him master - he'll make us do work master, heh-heh, heh-heh"

Binky:  (ok ...I'm incredulous at this point) What? I don't get it - is it against the law or against Kroger policy? Why is that?

KMgr:  well ...(he's one of those "well" guys, personally I think it's a non-verbal pause that allows him a little more time to make #### up)

KMgr:  well, people come in here and mix it with tainted deer or wild pig meat and then come sue us for sellin' them rancid beef suet!  

(He and his minions seemed fairly proud of his story)

Binky: What?  How could someone possibly prove that?  They could do the same with anything they mixed in from here.  How is that any different than that grey meat you mark down and put in the case end of the counter? 

KMgr:  (silence)

Binky:  You mean that this has happened several times at this store?

KMgr:  Well, I ain't been here since the store opened so I don't know ...just a risk we ain't willin' to take

Binky:  Ok, how about some of the beef trimmings you have in the back?

KMgr:  I just told you why ...same thing.  (clearly disgusted)

KMgr:  Besides, we don't have trimmings

Binky:  What?  How not?

KMgr:  We really don't do much cutting here, most of our stuff comes pre-packaged. (ok, but no trimmings? can't be true ...at this point it's not happing for me with him)

Binky: okkkkkkkkk

So, instead of making the two minute drive to my Kroger, I trek into town about 20+ minutes away to the small state-based grocery chain that has closer to what grocery stores had for a meat dept.  I looked at what all they had put out on their shelves and didn't see any suet.

Binky:  (walk out to counter - and guy walks out in a clearly used "meat cuttin' apron) I am looking to buy some beef suet - got any?

MGuy:  Let me check. (damn ...he's got to check ...either they don't use have any or he's checking to see if they even sell it)

MGuy: (comes back out in a few seconds)  How much you want?

Binky:  (jumping up and down inside - hellya)  How much ya got?

MGuy: Hang on I'll check.  (sticks his head through the swinging door in back)  How much of that suet we got?  

Background:  around 50lbs

MGuy:  How about 50lbs?  We just processed a cow today so your in luck.  

Binky: (laughs) I'll take 5.

Binky:  How much you going to charge me for that?

MGuy:  Hell, I don't know (sticks his head through the swinging door again) How much for the suet?

Voice in Background: How much is he gettin'?

MGuy: 5lbs.

Voice in Background:  couple bucks.

I still have 3lbs in the freezer ...  

You try and order a pork roll, egg and cheese outside of NJ or, if you are a communist a "Taylor Ham" sandwich and you basically get blank stares.  Tons of other examples for local foods, etc.  Think you just need to deal with that somethings won't be able to be recreated outside of your home areas.
Eh, this isn’t a pork roll 

I’m with @Binky The Doormat, You ask for chipped deli meat here the deli people don’t bat an eye. It’s not that hard

As a matter of fact it’s not hard at all 🤷‍♂️

How do you people get chipped beef if your deli can’t chip ham?

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy solution here is to give these guys all your specialty meat business.
oh hellya.  I buy most of my meat from them.  If kroger has an especially good sale on something I definitely check it out though.  

They got me a lamb leg from a local source the year before.  Deboned it and everything.  I go there every couple of weeks usually.

It's a little trip as opposed to 2 minutes from my house.  

How do you people get chipped beef if your deli can’t chip ham?
Chipped beef and chip-chop ham aren't really a thing in most of the U.S. Grocery stores in the New Orleans area sell jars of Armour dried beef, but only that brand. It's not an item that moves much. I wouldn't expect anyone at any local grocery store deli counter to know how to prepare chipped beef on the spot.

Chipped beef and chip-chop ham aren't really a thing in most of the U.S. Grocery stores in the New Orleans area sell jars of Armour dried beef, but only that brand. It's not an item that moves much. I wouldn't expect anyone at any local grocery store deli counter to know how to prepare chipped beef on the spot.
Well you all don’t know what you’re missing 

Christmas & The Outlaw Suet 

this past Christmas we had my MIL, BIL and his daughter over for a couple of days for the holiday and planned for a rib roast and a lot of extra Yorkshire pudding and gravy so we needed more beef dripping than the roast was going to be able to give us.  My wife assigned me the job of getting the roast and extra beef fat.

We have discussed Yorkshire pudding in holiday threads around here so if you haven't had it, you likely know what it is - beef fat infused bread with a crunchy outside and fluffy interior.  Simply glorious. As good as the rib roast is ...it's the highlight of the meal.  You gotta have a bunch of beef drippings really hot ...I mean poppin'.  Then you pour your batter in and bake at high heat.

I knew beef suet wasn't as prevalent in grocery stores as it used to be. It used to always be there ...with the femur bones sliced for soup (used to buy them for my dog) - and cost a little bit of nothing.  Now those bones are no where to be found ...they're being sold out at crazy prices to fancy restaurants for bone marrow appetizers.  

scene:  same Kroger, same meat dept mgr - a few days before Christmas - I walk up to the counter, we make eye contact, he pretends to shuffle meat trays for a bit, before acknowledging me (per usual)

Binky:  I would like to buy some beef suet - I don't see any out here

KMgr:  It's again the law to sell you suet.

Binky:  What?? ...against the law??

KMgr:  uh well ...uh ...well it's against Kroger policy to sell it to the public

This seemed to get the attention of a couple of his minions.  He's not an especially big man, but I guess these two assistants are very short - the two gather at each of his shoulders and then look up at him as if to say "yes master, tell him master - he'll make us do work master, heh-heh, heh-heh"

Binky:  (ok ...I'm incredulous at this point) What? I don't get it - is it against the law or against Kroger policy? Why is that?

KMgr:  well ...(he's one of those "well" guys, personally I think it's a non-verbal pause that allows him a little more time to make #### up)

KMgr:  well, people come in here and mix it with tainted deer or wild pig meat and then come sue us for sellin' them rancid beef suet!  

(He and his minions seemed fairly proud of his story)

Binky: What?  How could someone possibly prove that?  They could do the same with anything they mixed in from here.  How is that any different than that grey meat you mark down and put in the case end of the counter? 

KMgr:  (silence)

Binky:  You mean that this has happened several times at this store?

KMgr:  Well, I ain't been here since the store opened so I don't know ...just a risk we ain't willin' to take

Binky:  Ok, how about some of the beef trimmings you have in the back?

KMgr:  I just told you why ...same thing.  (clearly disgusted)

KMgr:  Besides, we don't have trimmings

Binky:  What?  How not?

KMgr:  We really don't do much cutting here, most of our stuff comes pre-packaged. (ok, but no trimmings? can't be true ...at this point it's not happing for me with him)

Binky: okkkkkkkkk

So, instead of making the two minute drive to my Kroger, I trek into town about 20+ minutes away to the small state-based grocery chain that has closer to what grocery stores had for a meat dept.  I looked at what all they had put out on their shelves and didn't see any suet.

Binky:  (walk out to counter - and guy walks out in a clearly used "meat cuttin' apron) I am looking to buy some beef suet - got any?

MGuy:  Let me check. (damn ...he's got to check ...either they don't use have any or he's checking to see if they even sell it)

MGuy: (comes back out in a few seconds)  How much you want?

Binky:  (jumping up and down inside - hellya)  How much ya got?

MGuy: Hang on I'll check.  (sticks his head through the swinging door in back)  How much of that suet we got?  

Background:  around 50lbs

MGuy:  How about 50lbs?  We just processed a cow today so your in luck.  

Binky: (laughs) I'll take 5.

Binky:  How much you going to charge me for that?

MGuy:  Hell, I don't know (sticks his head through the swinging door again) How much for the suet?

Voice in Background: How much is he gettin'?

MGuy: 5lbs.

Voice in Background:  couple bucks.

I still have 3lbs in the freezer ...  
This is your answer. Drive the extra 18 minutes to a place where there is good customer service..... write a negative google review on the Kroger “butcher” and push business to the more local grocery store that is willing to work with you. 

No idea what beef suet is but wasn't it possible to substitute?  

BTW, my uncle was the butcher in a town of 1200.  I think neighboring towns used to come to him though.

Raise your hands if chipped beef (in a milk gravy) on toast was a staple in your house back in the 70s.  The military informed me that it was also called #### on a shingle.

And corned beef hash too.

I'm hungry.

Mister CIA said:
Raise your hands if chipped beef (in a milk gravy) on toast was a staple in your house back in the 70s.  The military informed me that it was also called #### on a shingle.

I'm hungry.
I remember hearing sh!t on a shingle growing up, but had no idea what it was. Scrapple was a staple in our household, too.

As an adult, all this stuff sounds foul.

I remember hearing sh!t on a shingle growing up, but had no idea what it was. Scrapple was a staple in our household, too.

As an adult, all this stuff sounds foul.
Chipped beef (called "creamed dried beef" on our elementary school lunch menu) and Scrapple are gross.

Yet I love pork roll, which is basically made from the same stuff as Scrapple. 

Mister CIA said:

I'm hungry.
Raises hand.  I eat a lot of Armour dried beef.  It's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread