What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Rice Thread (1 Viewer)

'86-All Pro

'87-All Pro

'88-All Pro

'89-All Pro

'90-All Pro

'92-All Pro 

'93-All Pro

'94-All Pro

'95-All Pro

'96-All Pro

First All Time with 197 Rec Touchdowns, 2nd is Randy Moss with 156 for comparison, 3rd Owens-153, next after that falls to 130.

First All Time with the most Touchdowns 208, Emmitt is next with 175. 

First All Time in Receiving Yds(22,895) by a wide margin of over 5,000 yards, that person is Fitz who is ready to retire. There is no one within 10,000 yds of him after that.  

'86-All Pro

'87-All Pro

'88-All Pro

'89-All Pro

'90-All Pro

'92-All Pro 

'93-All Pro

'94-All Pro

'95-All Pro

'96-All Pro

First All Time with 197 Rec Touchdowns, 2nd is Randy Moss with 156 for comparison, 3rd Owens-153, next after that falls to 130.

First All Time with the most Touchdowns 208, Emmitt is next with 175. 

First All Time in Receiving Yds(22,895) by a wide margin of over 5,000 yards, that person is Fitz who is ready to retire. There is no one within 10,000 yds of him after that.  
I believe your last stat needs correcting. 

Doesn’t say active, sorry I misunderstood 
No sweat

Comparing Rice at WR and then you start comparing QBs, the numbers are really close with a half dozen or more guys except Lombardi Trophies obviously and you look at what Rice accomplished and I feel bad that I always resented San Fran in the 80s and 90s and it made me always under appreciate just how amazing this football player truly was. And it went beyond just the numbers but the numbers are simply jaw dropping. 

And I will further the conversation where there are just a couple WRs where I felt they had runs of Rice-esque for example Terrell Owens '98-'07 his stats are pretty staggering and even more so over 3 teams but there in lies the rub with T.O. and that was his inability to be a true leader and having to be shuffled on to other teams. Moss went from MN to Oak to New Eng but his Rookie year '98-'04 in MN might be the most racked in a 6-7 year period coming out of college racking up over 90 Touchdowns and then he only played another 5-6 seasons and finishes around 150. 

What Rice did, I do think Fitz has had a very similar long career but Rice had a late burst around 39-40 with Oakland capping it with a Super Bowl appearance as a starter with the Oakland Raiders, that's incredible. Brady at 43 is in the same vertical here. There will never be another to do what they have done IMHO. 

In 1997 (at age 35), Jerry Rice tore his ACL when he was face-masked by Warren Sapp on an end-around in Week 1.

Returned in Week 16 against Denver and catches a TD (iirc I think he broke his kneecap on the catch)

I don't think returning from an ACL tear in the same season was done before or since.

Played 7 more seasons after.

Simply the greatest. Thank you for starting this thread so we can share the memories.

Here's another great Jerry Rice stat line: 89/1451/15.

Pretty good season, right?

That stat line comes from this Chase Stuart post. In brief:

Rice had two HOF quarterbacks in San Francisco, which leads one to wonder what he would have done without Montana or Young. Well, there were 24 games when he didn't have Montana or Young (through his age 34 season), and over those 24 games he had 134 receptions for 2177 yards and 23 touchdowns. That is with Elvis Grbac (9g), Jeff Kemp (6), Steve Bono (6), Mike Moroski (2), and Matt Cavanaugh (1) as his quarterback. And that pro-rates to 89/1451/15 per 16 games.

He had a bunch more games without Montana or Young at age 36+, but those are better compared with other receivers' age 36+ seasons.

And hill running. 

This write-up describes his workout, which he was still doing at 48.

48  :shock:

i’m 50 & make slight groaning noises getting up off the couch for more cheesy poofs. 

https://www.stack.com/a/jerry-rices-legendary-hill-training
The guy is without question one of the highest effort/highest talent players ever.  My favorite story involves the same upbringing that involved the brick catching.

Mr. Cat: What about chasing Pete the Horse?

Jerry Rice: Pete was my horse. Pete was the fastest horse in the neighborhood, and he had muscles and he was just like, you want some of me? I knew Pete could outrun everybody in the neighborhood and stuff like that. It only took me about two hours to chase Pete down because he was in this big pasture and stuff like that. And he was not the type of horse you could just walk up to and grab. 

Mr. Cat: OK, so this is rural Mississippi, because it’s a very funny saying to be like, Pete was the fastest horse in the neighborhood.

Jerry Rice: It’s like the Kentucky Derby. If Pete was in the Kentucky Derby, he would win.

Mr. Commenter: Did you work your way up to Pete with another horse? 

Jerry Rice: No, no. We had to run the horses down. So that took about 45 minutes to an hour. But the incentive is, if you run a horse down, you get to ride the horse for the rest of the day. But when you release Pete, it’s going to take the same thing the next time you get ready to ride him. That was part of my conditioning.

In 1997 (at age 35), Jerry Rice tore his ACL when he was face-masked by Warren Sapp on an end-around in Week 1.

Returned in Week 16 against Denver and catches a TD (iirc I think he broke his kneecap on the catch)

I don't think returning from an ACL tear in the same season was done before or since.

Played 7 more seasons after.

Simply the greatest. Thank you for starting this thread so we can share the memories.

I guess I should have been more specific. Rice underwent surgery to fix his torn ACL and returned the same season, which I should have stated more clearly.

Rivers suffered a torn ACL and played through it the following week. Equally impressive but not the same. My mistake for not being more clear in my communication.

Users who are viewing this thread