What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official The Last of Us HBO TV thread***** Pro clicker rights in here! (3 Viewers)

wazoo11

Footballguy
Holding this as a placeholder

I loved the game and hyped for the tv show coming to HBO.

Last edited:
***Spoilers***

Loved the minor change of car crash in the game to airplane, made it feel much more realistic

I kinda wish they gave Robert more air time but they probably did it to move the story

I like how they incorporated little things like Joel asking to keep the bag while talking to the fedra guy

A couple of times when Ellie swore it felt like it was dubbed from the video game 😂

Overall, I'm very jealous of those experiencing it for the first time

I am very excited to see where they go with this. I like the way it is filmed. I was a little concerned about the casting decisions, but so far, ,so good. i just wonder how many seasons they can get from the source material from game one--especially since so many of us know how it ends.

Never played the game, so have no knowledge. Show was ok, I’ll definitely watch it and see where it goes
This is where I am. I watched with my youngest who has seen videos of the game and played a bit, so he seemed a little bored. I told him not to spoil anything but it certainly fully grab me yet. I’ll definitely watch as it’s up my alley but it wasn’t great.

A pretty good intro. Personally was hoping for more build up when the fungus / disease was taking over and how people survived but it just jumped the 20 years so fast.
Thats exactly what happens in the game. The story is not about the fungus. The story is about Joel and Ellie.

A pretty good intro. Personally was hoping for more build up when the fungus / disease was taking over and how people survived but it just jumped the 20 years so fast.
Thats exactly what happens in the game. The story is not about the fungus. The story is about Joel and Ellie.
I get that they are doing it like the video game. I haven't played it so going in blind and was enjoying the build up, was hoping that would last longer.

Last edited:
I get that they are doing it like the video game. I haven't played it so going in blind and was enjoying the build up, was hoping that would last longer.
"How exactly did society fall apart?" is an overlooked niche in an otherwise saturated genre. I know one of the Walking Dead spinoffs did this, but nobody remembers those so you could start with a blank slate if somebody wanted to blaze a trail here.

"How exactly did society fall apart?" is an overlooked niche in an otherwise saturated genre. I know one of the Walking Dead spinoffs did this, but nobody remembers those so you could start with a blank slate if somebody wanted to blaze a trail here.
This is 100% for me. I love this part of the zombie, virus, terrorist/war causing the collapse of society genre. How that all plays out, how it all crumbles, how it spreads and as society deals with it.

This portion of these stories has always been my favorite part of this genre.

World War Z the book did this a little with all the stories of people around the world describing their experiences. Always thought taking a handful of those and making a mini-series would have been fantastic.

Yeah, it always seems like it is totally glossed over. I mostly like the genre (despite how the walking dead totally fell apart in the past few years) but its hard totally suspend disbelief in certain situations just based on the "zombie mechanics". Slow moving zombies that have to bite you and take hours and hours to turn (like in TWD).....I just dont see how society would possibly fall apart. (if they ever massed in numbers, heavy military equipment like tanks and attack choppers could mow down thousands of them in minutes)

But its a goofy show, so whatever.

As for this this show, I liked the first episode. Pascal is really good and all the plot points were new to me (since I never played the game). Looking forward to next week.

Yeah, it always seems like it is totally glossed over. I mostly like the genre (despite how the walking dead totally fell apart in the past few years) but its hard totally suspend disbelief in certain situations just based on the "zombie mechanics". Slow moving zombies that have to bite you and take hours and hours to turn (like in TWD).....I just dont see how society would possibly fall apart. (if they ever massed in numbers, heavy military equipment like tanks and attack choppers could mow down thousands of them in minutes)

As for this this show, I liked the first episode. Pascal is really good and all the plot points were new to me (since I never played the game). Looking forward to next week.
The World War Z book IIRC (it's been a minute since I read it) really got into the specifics of this type of stuff. The guy who wrote it (Mel Brooks' kid) gave it tons of thought and created all these different scenarios. Nothing like the movie really if you saw that.

There was a specific part about the bolded scenario talking about how the military tried to handle millions of zombies in a herd.

The World War Z book IIRC (it's been a minute since I read it) really got into the specifics of this type of stuff. The guy who wrote it (Mel Brooks' kid) gave it tons of thought and created all these different scenarios. Nothing like the movie really if you saw that.

There was a specific part about the bolded scenario talking about how the military tried to handle millions of zombies in a herd.

I think I actually read some wikipedia (or some other similar site) entry about The Battle of Yonkers from the world war z book. It goes into a lot of detail but still seemed pretty far fetched to me. But at least those were (at least in the movie. I assume the book is the same) fast moving zombies. I could see a possible scenario where a herd of fast moving zombies overwhelms the military under the right circumstances (again, I realize how ridiculous this conversation is).

Slow moving zombies like the walking dead.....the fall of society is absurd.

I think that was supposed to be Fear the Walking Dead, but even there, they spent about 4 episodes on society breaking down and then there were just zombies everywhere.

I agree that a deeper dive show focused on the slow breakdown of society would be very interesting.

Loved the game but is the show very horror genre? Just don't get into shows that are horror based
Based on the first episode, people fighting zombies doesn't seem to be a big focus of the show. The zombies are around and drive people to do stuff, but it doesn't seem like horror at all.

My wife hates zombie shows, and wasn't turned off by the first episode.

I think I actually read some wikipedia (or some other similar site) entry about The Battle of Yonkers from the world war z book. It goes into a lot of detail but still seemed pretty far fetched to me. But at least those were (at least in the movie. I assume the book is the same) fast moving zombies. I could see a possible scenario where a herd of fast moving zombies overwhelms the military under the right circumstances (again, I realize how ridiculous this conversation is).

Battle of Yonkers might be it. Was thinking it was in the desert somewhere and they knew a herd of millions were coming so they set all the firepower they had an waited for them.

In regards to society falling I don't know. If it was a Walking Dead situation I think even then we'd be pretty screwed. I don't have much faith that people would figure it out in time.

Great topic!

Battle of Yonkers might be it. Was thinking it was in the desert somewhere and they knew a herd of millions were coming so they set all the firepower they had an waited for them.

In regards to society falling I don't know. If it was a Walking Dead situation I think even then we'd be pretty screwed. I don't have much faith that people would figure it out in time.

Great topic!

To be fair, it took us God knows how long to get back to somewhat normal during COVID. I mean...people couldn't even handle walking down the grocery store aisles in the correct direction to allow for social distancing (even if you dont believe it helped, was it really that hard?)

You're right. We'd probably be doomed.

This is 100% for me. I love this part of the zombie, virus, terrorist/war causing the collapse of society genre. How that all plays out, how it all crumbles, how it spreads and as society deals with it.

World War Z the book did this a little with all the stories of people around the world describing their experiences. Always thought taking a handful of those and making a mini-series would have been fantastic.
Station 11 kind of jumped over most of that too.

Yep. I loved the start of this who but then lost interest. Been raved about so I will try to pick back up again.

Also The Road. Mccarthy doesn't even mention what the apocalyptic event was - jumps straight into the horror show. The Survivalist (2015 British movie) was the same.

I love the genre but not those that include a zombie/supernatural element. Station 11, The Road, Survivalist - they stayed with me for weeks after watching.

I'll give this one a shot though. Never played the game but am looking forward to seeing what HBO does with it.

Great topic!
Not to get too far off base here, but if I remember the book right, Battle of Yonkers was where the military thought tanks and air power would defeat the Z’s. They ended up just continuing to walk towards the tanks even though they were still on fire and overwhelmed the soldiers. The other battle was later on where they had soldiers lined up (in the desert?) next to each other and they had to perform a certain amount of head shots and take down a number of zombies per minute and if they didn’t, another soldier took their place. The ineffectiveness of regular tactics led to the creation of the sword/shovel hybrid weapon that soldiers used.

As you can tell, I have read that book many times. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry to hijack

Also The Road. Mccarthy doesn't even mention what the apocalyptic event was - jumps straight into the horror show. The Survivalist (2015 British movie) was the same.

I love the genre but not those that include a zombie/supernatural element. Station 11, The Road, Survivalist - they stayed with me for weeks after watching.

I'll give this one a shot though. Never played the game but am looking forward to seeing what HBO does with it.
Agreed on The Road. Read this book in about 2 days while on a beach vacation. Could not put it down.

The reviews for this are amazing so I was excited but I thought it was more of a survival thing than a zombie thing. Not interested in that at all. But I’ll give it 5 episodes at least.

It was an ok start. Disappointed in the time jump. Would've like to have seen how he went from Texas to Boston. I hope that doesn't mean there will be a ton of flashbacks.
I'll stick with it for now.

Same...i'm hoping they go back and look into this with some more detail.

I’m not so sure about TWD being absurd. A bit more far fetched than the WWZ zombies but assuming 1) no one at the start has any clue how to kill zombies, 2) health care/first responders workers get wiped out/turned early because of scratches/bites, 3) early zombies aren’t all skeletons so muscles should in fact make them not years in worn down, and most importantly 4) no one knows that everyone is infected so every single death is a zombie at the start.

I agree that it is much more far fetched but I think a lot of that is because we know the lore that isn’t supposed to exist in TWD. Add in that everyone Is already infected and I could see it.

Same...i'm hoping they go back and look into this with some more detail.
I doubt they will but that’s the exact thing I wanted to see in Fear the Walking Dead. It seemed like we were going to get it but then they skipped ahead again. TWD almost covered it but again, Rick woke up a while later and people told him about it but Atlanta was already taken over when he got there.

Some similarities (visually) to what happens in the movie Annihilation. Mostly what happens to the body of the infected when they die.

Read an article in advance of the show, one of the key differences in the show vs the game is no airborne spores around corpses. The show runners basically conceded that airborne spores like in the game would be too hard to suspend disbelief that humanity could survive at all. Plus Joel tends to put on a big, huge gas mask during the game play segments during the airborne sequences which would be pretty clunky in a show.

This story isn't much about the actual apocalypse, but I agree, the fall of society is a lot of untapped potential. Hated it in Fear the Walking Dead when they just jumped forward weeks after the first four episodes took place over like two or three days. Always thought an anthology series from the TWD like American Horror Story would have been a great idea. Show the fall of society in different ways each season in different locations. But I guess the hollywood types find the fall of society boring from a storytelling standpoint, they only want to focus on how we deal with the fallout later.

Yeah, that's why I thought WWZ would have made a great series. They could have focused on the outbreak all around the world and gotten into details about how society learns to cope with it. I was psyched when it sounded like FTWD was going to do that, at least at a particular location but, as others have said, that didn't last long either.
I haven't played the game and didn't really read up on the show, but is it expected to do a lot of flashbacks? I'm assuming not and I'm ok with that. They made a choice to jump ahead and I'd rather they just keep it linear at this point.

Yeah, that's why I thought WWZ would have made a great series. They could have focused on the outbreak all around the world and gotten into details about how society learns to cope with it. I was psyched when it sounded like FTWD was going to do that, at least at a particular location but, as others have said, that didn't last long either.
I haven't played the game and didn't really read up on the show, but is it expected to do a lot of flashbacks? I'm assuming not and I'm ok with that. They made a choice to jump ahead and I'd rather they just keep it linear at this point.
In the game no but the creators said they've added context in the show that didn't exist in the game so who knows.

There is one small jump-ahead that occurs later in the game (winter) and I would be shocked if they did not include that part in the show. People who have played the game will know exactly what section I'm talking about and why it's important to the story. Otherwise Part 1 is pretty linear. The stuff with his daughter is just backstory that you need to understand Joel's character. In a bad show, that would have been revealed as exposition instead of showing it to you. Nothing that happened in the intervening 20 years matters for the story that they're telling.

There is one small jump-ahead that occurs later in the game (winter) and I would be shocked if they did not include that part in the show. People who have played the game will know exactly what section I'm talking about and why it's important to the story. Otherwise Part 1 is pretty linear. The stuff with his daughter is just backstory that you need to understand Joel's character. In a bad show, that would have been revealed as exposition instead of showing it to you. Nothing that happened in the intervening 20 years matters for the story that they're telling.

I played the game and I have no idea what you're talking about, but I guess that's the advantage of getting old -- I can come to this show brand new because I played the game more than two years ago and, thus, my memory of the plot has been wiped completely clean.

I played the game and I have no idea what you're talking about, but I guess that's the advantage of getting old -- I can come to this show brand new because I played the game more than two years ago and, thus, my memory of the plot has been wiped completely clean.
The part in winter where you're hunting game with a bow and arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread