What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name a role where Robert Redford wasn’t clever. (1 Viewer)

The Day of The Jackal?

All The President's Men?

Don't remember his cleverness in either, though that could be faulty memory and that clever Redford is always Redford or something like that.

Yeah, that was more like "Dude, where's my office?"
Wasn't it basically in his suitcase or something? I'm sorry to be obtuse, Redford is now almost fully out of my consciousness.

Not too clever in The Natural, either. Getting shot by femme fatales and all.

hack, what the heck are you doing here?

What??  Pretty sure he was clever as a CIA code breaker.  Come on.
Ah, I see. You and I might have differing primary definitions of "clever," then. I always thought "clever" was a superficial smarts or surface smarts, generally tending towards wise-assery.

I could be really wrong about that, though. Clever always carried a negative connotation with it, in my experience. "Well, aren't you clever..." or the British "yes, it must be nice being so clever, Mr. ah--- what was your last name again?"

Ah, I see. You and I might have differing primary definitions of "clever," then. I always thought "clever" was a superficial smarts or surface smarts, generally tending towards wise-assery.

I could be really wrong about that, though. Clever always carried a negative connotation with it, in my experience. "Well, aren't you clever..." or the British "yes, it must be nice being so clever, Mr. ah--- what was your last name again?"
I need to re-watch, it’s been a while.

6 hours ago, rockaction said:

Expand  
I need to re-watch, it’s been a while.
Re-watch Rocks life? That's going to take a while to figure out how and where he's skewed the meaning of a word.

Reminds me of a gb and old roommate who used "paradigm" to mean banal and indistinct. Because it's the mold from which everything else is made...identically the same as the original. I thought that was clever. Like a superficially smart-### fox.

Re-watch Rocks life? That's going to take a while to figure out how and where he's skewed the meaning of a word.

Reminds me of a gb and old roommate who used "paradigm" to mean banal and indistinct. Because it's the mold from which everything else is made...identically the same as the original. I thought that was clever. Like a superficially smart-### fox.
I think in the British connotation it is usually used as a negative thing like "too clever by half..." or "don't get clever with me...". It probably came from reading all those usage books when I was in my twenties and I stumbled across an Anglophile or something. Never trust, always verify.

That's probably where I went awry. In America it certainly is apparently a synonym for mental acuity, aptitude, or wit. Hmm, I've got a good word back.

From Merriam, where I'm getting that negative, wise-### connotation:

4. British, informal : talking in a rude way that is meant to show you are smart

Don't you start getting clever [=(US) fresh] with me! [=don't speak to me in a disrespectful way]

Last edited by a moderator:
A Walk in the Woods.  Deciding to hike with Nick Nolte and then giving up part-way through.  Less clever and more just bad acting.

Very clever in the aforementioned Three Days of the Condor.  :icebullet:

I think in the British connotation it is usually used as a negative thing like "too clever by half..." or "don't get clever with me...". It probably came from reading all those usage books when I was in my twenties and I stumbled across an Anglophile or something. Never trust, always verify.

That's probably where I went awry. In America it certainly is apparently a synonym for mental acuity, aptitude, or wit. Hmm, I've got a good word back.

From Merriam, where I'm getting that negative, wise-### connotation:

4. British, informal : talking in a rude way that is meant to show you are smart

Don't you start getting clever [=(US) fresh] with me! [=don't speak to me in a disrespectful way]
No.

IDK but waking up on a sailboat taking on water in the middle of the Indian ocean after hitting a shipping container doesn't come across as to clever.

IDK but waking up on a sailboat taking on water in the middle of the Indian ocean after hitting a shipping container doesn't come across as to clever.
This is actually a pretty spot on thread bc Redford always does seem to play a clever or thinking role, but this movie popped into my head immediatly. All Is Lost is the name.

Users who are viewing this thread