What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Terrace Marshall Jr, Panthers - making plays at training camp (1 Viewer)

I don't put much stock in pff player comps, but forcing me to remember Devin Thomas, Cody Latimer, Robert Meachum, and Rueben Randle doesn't really increase my excitement about Marshall. 
The Justin Jefferson and Chris Godwin comparisons hopefully provide enough of a counterbalance to the less desirable player comps.

The Justin Jefferson and Chris Godwin comparisons hopefully provide enough of a counterbalance to the less desirable player comps.
Yeah, those 2 did help. The rest just felt like a who's who of late 1st/early 2nd busts from 10ish years ago!

If he somehow makes it to 2.1 I'm going to have a hard decision to make of him or the QB I need. But I doubt he gets there now anyway.
Do you have the ammo to get multiple picks in this zone? I've already done this in one league (1.12, 2.4, and 2.8) and am exploring options in another (1.7, 1.9, and 2.9). I don't think I can in my other (1.9 and 2.7), but I intend to try. Cause I want a piece of this qb class.

Do you have the ammo to get multiple picks in this zone? I've already done this in one league (1.12, 2.4, and 2.8) and am exploring options in another (1.7, 1.9, and 2.9). I don't think I can in my other (1.9 and 2.7), but I intend to try. Cause I want a piece of this qb class.
I've probably talked about it too much here but in a total roster teardown in non-ppr Zealots IDP (only Chubb and Tee Higgins of any worth) I have 1, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 13.

I'm going to see if I can use next year's 2nd & 3rds (I have two of those) - No first - to get back into the mid 2nd or higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've probably talked about it too much here but in a total roster teardown in non-ppr Zealots IDP (only Chubb and Tee Higgins of any worth) I have 1, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 13.

I'm going to see if I can use next year's 2nd & 3rds (I have two of those) to get back into the mid 2nd or higher.
I like that idea because I'm skeptical of next year's class. I'm not ridding myself of all of my bullets now, but I intend to be down one or two of my top three picks.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reports that some medical issues "popped" for LSU WR Terrace Marshall.

The issues arose at the medical combine held in Indianapolis. The athletic drills of the combine weren't done in Indianapolis this year but players are still getting thorough medical examinations before draft night. Marshall missed time in high school because of foot and leg injuries that would ultimately require surgery. He also spent some time on the sidelines at LSU because of a foot injury. It's possible that teams are simply doing their due diligence on his injury history but any notion of a long-term issue could hurt Marshall's draft stock. At 6'3" and 205 pounds, Marshall running a 4.38-second 40-yard dash puts him in the upper echelon of receiver prospects in terms of athleticism. If the medical issues aren't deemed serious, he should have no problem finding an NFL home on the first day of the draft.

SOURCE: Jonas Shaffer on Twitter

Apr 21, 2021, 2:04 PM ET

If you have the 1.10 in dynasty 1qb leagues you will probably have a choice to make between Marshall, the two Moore's, Gainwell, and Carter.  Landing spots may sort this out better toward the back in the 1st round.

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec reports the Ravens have "cooled on LSU's Terrace Marshall due to injury concerns. 

Marshall, who spent some of 2020 sidelined with a foot issue and struggled with leg injuries in high school, is a prime candidate to fall down draft boards. Before the injury concerns cropped up, the receiver-needy Ravens were closely linked to Marshall, who posed an 85th percentile burst score and an 85th percentile speed score in pre-draft workouts. Zrebiec said Baltimore could turn to Purdue's Rondale Moore or Ole' Miss' Elijah Moore if the team is dead set on using first-round draft capital on wideout (Baltimore has the 27th and 31st picks). The explosive Moore, who caught 35 passes in just three games last year at Purdue, could certainly usurp Marquise Brown as the Ravens' No. 1 receiver, though neither Moore nor Brown would see much volume in Baltimore's rush-heavy offense. 

RELATED: 

Rashod Bateman

, Elijah Mitchell

, Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 28, 2021, 9:25 AM ET

Blurb above says he missed time in 2020 due to a foot issue but that is the first I've seen that anywhere. He had a stress fracture in early 2019, had minor surgery and was back on the field dominating in 3/4 weeks. Has done nothing but dominate ever since. I see that he opted out towards the end of the 2020 season. After balling out hard. I see no mention of any injury since the 2019 foot injury. His 2017 HS injury is ancient history. Not irrelevant but if you look at what he has done in the last 2+ years it is hard to say he has an injury issue.

But that is the smoke that is coming out so I am a little nervous. 

Panthers selected LSU WR Terrace Marshall with the No. 59 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Marshall (6'2/205) reunites with OC Joe Brady, who coordinated LSU's historic National Championship offense with the former in 2019. Marshall played out wide with Vikings first-rounder Justin Jefferson and classmate Ja'Marr Chase that year, leading the country in contested catch rate (82%) and nearly matching Jefferson in receptions (21-20) until the former was injured and forced to miss three games. Marshall was moved into the slot without either in 2020 and led the Tigers in receiving (48/731/10) despite opting out after seven games. A salivating archetype with flat 4.4 straight-line speed, Marshall holds one of the highest ceilings among his class since he's already proven he can win from any alignment. He'll be 21 years old throughout his rookie year, and immediately start in Carolina's 11 personnel with clean medical records.

Apr 30, 2021, 9:08 PM ET

Nice landing spot.  

I think Darnold is good enough.  Moore and CMC will be the main defensive focus.  He’s got familiarity with the coaching staff. 

First of all:

TUTU ATWELL WAS TAKEN TWO SPOTS BEFORE MARSHALL?  ARE YOU ####### KIDDING ME

I am unsure about the landing spot.  I don't know what I think about the Panthers as an organization, and I'm not sure about this Rhule guy, and deciding your better off with Darnold than Jones or Fields really makes me wonder.  

The presence of Moore, probably long term (possibly not, he's not signed long term), kind of deflates my hopes he could become a target monster, a true WR1.  His profile this year, I kind of liked him as a sneaky late 1st rounder, who could be a better bet than guys taken before him to be a WR1.  If Moore and CMC are there, it feels like WR18 to WR25 seems like a more of a best case scenario.  Unless he's a true stud, and supplants DJ Moore.  Which is really optimistic.  

I think it would take Darnold becoming a legit QB, Kirk Cousins-ish, and Moore moving on in free agency, to really get cooking.  

First of all:

TUTU ATWELL WAS TAKEN TWO SPOTS BEFORE MARSHALL?  ARE YOU ####### KIDDING ME 
I think NFL GMs value small quick field stretchers in a way FF doesn't. Marshall is almost certainly better for FF but Tutu *might* be more scarce for ballclubs looking for that kind of skill set? IDK but that is a theory I've had for years. I wouldn't knock Marshall for going later nor bump Tutu (or Eskridge) for going earlier. I think NFL GMs just think differently. 

I am unsure about the landing spot.  I don't know what I think about the Panthers as an organization, and I'm not sure about this Rhule guy, and deciding your better off with Darnold than Jones or Fields really makes me wonder.  Rhule bothers me and so does the owner. I think Darnold had all kinds of things working against him in NY but will have a much better chance to succeed now. We're going to find out. 

The presence of Moore, probably long term (possibly not, he's not signed long term), kind of deflates my hopes he could become a target monster, a true WR1.  His profile this year, I kind of liked him as a sneaky late 1st rounder, who could be a better bet than guys taken before him to be a WR1.  If Moore and CMC are there, it feels like WR18 to WR25 seems like a more of a best case scenario.  Unless he's a true stud, and supplants DJ Moore.  Which is really optimistic.  I think Marshall is a true alpha stud and I think Moore could be a great Robin to his Batman. I know that is a dilluted trope but I believe Waldman did some great work a few years back on how most WR1 seasons come in offenses that had a second productive WR who finished as either a WR2 or another WR1 even. With CMC and a questionable at best defense in a tough division I think the target share is there to be had for alpha status. 

I think it would take Darnold becoming a legit QB, Kirk Cousins-ish, and Moore moving on in free agency, to really get cooking.  I don't think Moore has to move on but Darnold absolutely has to take a big step.

The Athletic's Dan Pompei reports WR Terrace Marshall "could have been taken as high as the middle of the first round."

Marshall, whose draft stock plunged amid injury concerns, landed in Carolina with the 59th pick -- a steal by any measure. Marshall reunites with Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady, who coordinated LSU's historic 2019 National Championship offense with Marshall. The explosive wideout was a touchdown machine that season, scoring 19 times on 46 receptions. He followed that up with ten touchdowns on 48 grabs in 2020. He predictably tested well during his pro day, registering an 85th percentile burst score and an 85th percentile speed score. Marshall, 21, who will immediately play in Carolina's three-receiver sets, has as much upside as any rookie taken outside the first half of the first round. His addition to the Panthers offense is a big plus for Sam Darnold. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 4, 2021, 9:01 AM ET

I feel like this is a perfect setup for Marshall to emerge as Batman to Moore's Robin. Robby Anderson isn't a problem and can be a fine 3rd option (ok 4th behind CMC). As usual with rookie WRs, year 1 shouldn't have large expectations, but with the draft capital and his talent I think he has as good a shot as anyone in this class to do very well in year 1. I don't know what to expect out of Darnold but I expect Marshall to win the starting alpha role sooner than later. I just don't think DJ Moore is that guy.

They picked up his option for next year, though. That's quite a lot of money to absorb. 
Carolina is projected $47M under the cap and that’s with Darnold’s 5th year option salary included. If Darnold sucks, his 5th year option won’t be much of a hindrance to moving on. They’d probably trade him for whatever they can get and agree to eat a chunk of his guaranteed.

Yeah, those 2 did help. The rest just felt like a who's who of late 1st/early 2nd busts from 10ish years ago!
I have seen a few models having him come in a little lower than what would be expected and I think I've found out why. A lot of them factor things like % of team passing yards or % of team passing TDs or dominator. Marshall opted out for the 2nd half of the season so his numbers are clearly going to suffer in those categories. If you adjust those to per game basis, he would really pop in those models even more. Just an oddity of the COVID year. I know he went later than Bateman, Elijah and Rondale but I am surprised he isn't universally going above those guys. How many WRs check the alpha size, high end athleticism, early production, high pedigree, elite competition boxes? 

I have seen a few models having him come in a little lower than what would be expected and I think I've found out why. A lot of them factor things like % of team passing yards or % of team passing TDs or dominator. Marshall opted out for the 2nd half of the season so his numbers are clearly going to suffer in those categories. If you adjust those to per game basis, he would really pop in those models even more. Just an oddity of the COVID year. I know he went later than Bateman, Elijah and Rondale but I am surprised he isn't universally going above those guys. How many WRs check the alpha size, high end athleticism, early production, high pedigree, elite competition boxes? 
Plus, he was a stud with Burrow, and Jefferson as the alpha WR. And a stud without Burrow or Jefferson. 

Yep, I could see the argument for him over Waddle even
Marshall could've been a replacement for Parker in 2022 and beyond. Marshall's injury history, going back to high school, made him fall. But he looked great at his pro day. He might be what Dolphin fans were expecting out of Parker all these years.

I think Waddle is better this year as a primary slot receiver getting elite separation.

Weird. I knew about the past injures but what’s going on that he’s being eased in?
Good question and not sure about this but kind of sounded to me like he had another foot surgery and fairly recently but I can't find a thing to verify it.

For Ruhle to say, "“Yeah he had the surgery on the foot before that so I think for us we just wanted to ease him in" and the "that" Ruhle is talking about was rookie minicamp which would be an odd thing to say about a surgery that took place about 20 months ago which was timeframe of his known foot surgery.

Good question and not sure about this but kind of sounded to me like he had another foot surgery and fairly recently but I can't find a thing to verify it.

For Ruhle to say, "“Yeah he had the surgery on the foot before that so I think for us we just wanted to ease him in" and the "that" Ruhle is talking about was rookie minicamp which would be an odd thing to say about a surgery that took place about 20 months ago which was timeframe of his known foot surgery.
Right? Clearly he recovered from the foot surgery 20 months ago because he played great in 2020. Was the actual reason he ended his year early that he needed another foot surgery? If so when did that happen? He obviously was healed up and in peak condition for his Pro Day on April 1. Seems unlikely he hurt his foot after the pro day and is participating in mini camps in any fashion this quickly. Is there such a thing as a minor clean up like we see with ACLs sometimes where it only costs a guy a week or 2 of rest time?

I don’t know the timelines of types of foot surgeries, maybe Dr Jene will have some info or speculation on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he just sprained his foot or something working out between the pro day and minicamps and so coach is just being cautious. Saw on Twitter someone covering the team said Marshall did more and more work each day of camp so doesn’t seem serious at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread