What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kupp VS Woods ..... post Goff (1 Viewer)

The Show

Footballguy
Not sure if it’s been talked about yet on here but both this WRs are intriguing to me this year. What are some thoughts and predictions on these 2 with Stafford at the helm? I think Rams will be better as a team but the numbers won’t change much. 

Woods 81-1221-7

Kupp 87-1087-9 

It’s a good question and hard to predict right now. We don’t know if Stafford will lock in more so on one guy over the other, or if it will be an even split. And you also have to factor in Van Jefferson and maybe Higbee as perhaps being bigger parts of the passing game.

From Calvin to KG,  Stafford liked to sail it and let his guy go up and grab it.  Kupp is a bigger target for whatever that may mean.

It's a odd situation because while I do think Stafford is better then Goff and they are both kind of different QB's I can't peg anyone on either team whose stock is that impacted, good or bad.

Kupp's the one I probably worry about the most. He and Goff had an on and off field connection. His skill set does not take advantage of Stafford's arm. That's really the case for all the Rams current pass catchers, none of them are field stretchers.

Goff looked to Kupp in the redzone, which really bolstered his numbers two seasons ago (when he was on my team and I was paying attention). It stands to reason that Stafford won't come in with the same kind of connection.

Think Golden Tate-Detroit and you will zero in on Kupp quickly. I have Kupp as a Keeper in my league and am excited that Stafford is the Rams new QB. 

Tate had 4 season of 99-90-91-92, 3 of those seasons North of 1,000 yds and Kupp I would argue has more raw speed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great question. Arguments could be made for both. Tough to say until we see how things are shaping up in camp and when the live bullets are flying.

The shark move might be to move both of them if you can sell someone on the Stafford hype and get plus value for them. At the end of the day, I still think McVay will want to run a rush heavy offense once again. And with that defense they aren’t going to find themselves in shootouts. I think Stafford is a massive upgrade for the Rams in real life, but I’m not sold on this move to LA boosting his fantasy numbers.

Great question. Arguments could be made for both. Tough to say until we see how things are shaping up in camp and when the live bullets are flying.

The shark move might be to move both of them if you can sell someone on the Stafford hype and get plus value for them. At the end of the day, I still think McVay will want to run a rush heavy offense once again. And with that defense they aren’t going to find themselves in shootouts. I think Stafford is a massive upgrade for the Rams in real life, but I’m not sold on this move to LA boosting his fantasy numbers.
This makes sense.  Stafford won't have to air it out as much in L.A. as he was forced to in Detroit.  He already has a ton of stats, now he is just looking for wins.

Its hard to say how things will delevelop with Stafford. I would not count Van Jefferson out of this conversation either, reportedly Jefferson was the fastest WR at the senior bowl before he discovered he needed to have surgery. So maybe he ends up being their deep shot guy? I think all 3 of them are capable in that role.

For the most part I have seen the Rams offense run laterally more than vertically, but maybe that is more because of Goff than the WR.

I dont think the Rams or any team has a Calvin Johnson.

The Rams dont seem to value their draft picks much but they paid a ton of them for Stafford. I dont think they did that for Stafford to be a game manager and just win games. I think you pay that because you want to increase your offensive productivity.

Way too early to speculate on this.  There isn't a clear #1 guy in LA like Stafford had in DET with Megatron or with Golladay.  This is likely to be a headache for Woods/Kupp/Higbee/ V Jefferson for fantasy.  Also, LAR has a good young RB in Akers.  When LAR was great on offense in 2017, it was really balanced.  So I am not convinced that Stafford's fantasy value is any better in LA, in fact, it could go down.  But you can argue that Stafford will be more efficient in LA with less attempts.

I think that you can argue that the player best helped by Stafford's arrival is Akers.

i always felt Goff too often forced balls to Kupp even when other receivers were open. if i was to go off on the deep end i'd even argue Kupp's emergence killed Goff's progression. IMO Kupp will see less targets with Stafford compared to Goff, Woods stays about the same, and agree with those above who pointed to one of the younger guys emerging as the eventual go-to for Stafford.

Kupp in my opinion is by far the best receiver on the Rams and was hurt the most by Goffs atrociousness (weird to say about a receiver who hauled in a ton of catches). I think Kupp is going to enjoy Stafford throwing him the ball especially on intermediate and deep routes.

Think Golden Tate-Detroit and you will zero in on Kupp quickly. I have Kupp as a Keeper in my league and am excited that Stafford is the Rams new QB. 

Tate had 4 season of 99-90-91-92, 3 of those seasons North of 1,000 yds and Kupp I would argue has more raw speed. 
I actually like this comparison a lot.  I think it will be similar to when Stafford had Calvin and Tate, but since Woods is no Calvin the split will be more even between Woods/Kupp.

I actually like this comparison a lot.  I think it will be similar to when Stafford had Calvin and Tate, but since Woods is no Calvin the split will be more even between Woods/Kupp.
I believe Kupp will catch a lot fo balls but unless he breaks them from 25-30 yds out, i think Stafford tends to look at big targets in the end zone. I also believe the Rams will have a terrific running attack to take the heat off Staff most of the way. Woods and Kupp will both do well depending on the game match ups but i also am not anticipating that the Rams will throw it a little less. Ride that defense more.  

assuming this is what you meant.
I think the Rams are going to try and run the ball with a little more consistency in 2021, maybe Cam Akers is the guy to lead the way, perhaps another RB will arrive to pair with him. I don't see Stafford having to fling it 40-50x a game but I think he will do damage with less throws in Los Ang vs Detroit. Just my pinion in Feb, check with me in the summer or post-draft and it might change. Imagine Stafford actually enjoying some play action for once and defenses trying to stop the run, this would lead to some big plays in the passing game. 

I don't think of the Rams as very explosive in 2020, they weren't that good in 2019 either as I recall, haven't been the same since the Super Bowl and Gurley getting hurt then traded, this team has been in neutral on offense IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread