What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: WR Tylan Wallace, Baltimore Ravens (here come ~40 targets) (1 Viewer)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
Didn't see a thread for him yet.

6'0" 190, born May 1999

205/3434/26 in college career. Played 10 games his 2020 senior season had 59/922/6

I don't know anything about him other than those stats and that he looked good in the dominator rating and breakout age article Faust posted the other day, which is a concept that has been dove into at great lengths on this board. Not gospel but it is a metric that I like to look at.

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-predicting-top-2021-rookie-wide-receivers-using-dominator-rating-and-breakout-age

Wallace finished 3rd in this class in dominator rating of 32%, had the 2nd best single season for that metric out of anyone in this class, at 50% in 2019, had a 39% dominator rating at breakout age of 19. 

I don't know what any of that means but it sounds good for a guy who is probably mid to early 2nd in rookie drafts at best at the moment. A highlight film:

https://youtu.be/gn6ohP_YD3o

I saw a blurb said he wouldn't last past pick 60 in the NFL draft. I'd love to hear what others have to say about him. He looked like he played pretty big for a slightly smaller WR on the couple minutes of cherry-picked film I watched (officially an expert now). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oklahoma State senior WR Tylan Wallace has entered the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Wallace (6'0/190) played the first half of Tuesday's Cheez-It Bowl win over Miami, but the decision was made to sit out the second half. The senior wide receiver, who was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award in 2018, appeared in ten games this season and caught 59 passes for 922 yards and six touchdowns. For his career, Wallace caught 205 passes for 3,434 yards and 26 touchdowns. As part of a deep crop of wide receivers, Wallace should not be available beyond the top-60 picks in this spring's draft. 

SOURCE: Kelli Masters Management on Twitter

Dec 30, 2020, 1:20 PM ET

He looked great before getting hurt last season. Another guy in a very deep WR class. Probably a 2nd or 3rd round NFL pick. 

3 Players Who Impressed at the Reese's Senior Bowl

Excerpt:

Oklahoma State WR Tylan Wallace

Wallace (5-11, 193) reminded teams why he's considered a potential second-round pick, according to Brugler, after his 2019 season was cut short by an ACL injury. He had 205 career receptions, 3,434 yards and 26 TDs in 37 games for the Cowboys. He's a downfield threat who averaged 16.8 yards per catch.

"If he were to walk up to you he wouldn't necessarily impress you but throw out those measurables," Brugler said. "He plays bigger, he plays stronger. For a guy that size, his catch radius is really impressive and he plays through contact, which is so important for receivers. There are going to be tight windows and you have to be able to play through that contact and he does consistently. I think he's ready right now. Line him up in an NFL offense and he would not look out of place. With his route-running skills and his instinctive nature of the position, he's NFL ready and a guy who is going somewhere on Day 2. … He's a Day 1 NFL starter at receiver. He can play inside, he can play outside. He's just a really good football player."

So good.

From my evaluations he downgraded from the 2019 season to the 2020 season, not that he got worse, but not as impressive. The ebb's and flows of an athlete I imagine. Still a very good WR. 

I do doubt his ceiling a bit, but he could be a good #1, I imagine him more as a great #2 like Robert Woods for example. 

So good.

From my evaluations he downgraded from the 2019 season to the 2020 season, not that he got worse, but not as impressive. The ebb's and flows of an athlete I imagine. Still a very good WR. 

I do doubt his ceiling a bit, but he could be a good #1, I imagine him more as a great #2 like Robert Woods for example. 
I like him, too.

His analytics seem really good but I wasn't impressed looking at the highlights. Seemed like an undersized, not so athletic jump ball WR. Am I off base?

His analytics seem really good but I wasn't impressed looking at the highlights. Seemed like an undersized, not so athletic jump ball WR. Am I off base?
Oklahoma State runs one of those offenses that overtly restricts usage of its weapons, regardless of their talent. Can he do more than win on the perimeter down field and the MoF in the short/intermediate game? :shrug:  They didn't ask him to do more than that. I'm also not too concerned about it so long as his price tag remains 2nd round for our purposes. I think that's an appropriate risk:reward cost so long as he avoids a toxic situation. Cause even if that's all he'll be at the next level it's still a WR3 profile, which is a fine floor.

Supposedly he ran a 4.39 today for EXOS training combine they're doing. I doubt it but even if we adjust for a "pro day" time a 4.44 I don't doubt as much. Soon all these numbers will be coming out, and there will be no such thing as a bad one though. 

Zyphros said:
Supposedly he ran a 4.39 today for EXOS training combine they're doing. I doubt it but even if we adjust for a "pro day" time a 4.44 I don't doubt as much. Soon all these numbers will be coming out, and there will be no such thing as a bad one though. 
Not exceptional speed, but runs routes right. But is nfl ready. But not a top pick. IMO. Even with coaching he is what he is. Wr2

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline compared Oklahoma State WR Tylan Wallace to former Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk "in style and substance."

Wallace (6'0/190) could potentially land as a top-half-of-Day-2 selection in Pauline's estimation, but two boxes that need to be checked off before that kind of draft capital is spent on the Oklahoma State standout. A strong run in the 40-yard dash would help matters -- pro day in Stillwater falls on April 1 -- as would clean medical checks on the surgically-repaired knee which cost him over half of the 2019 campaign. Coming off that knee injury this past season, Wallace logged a 59-922-6 receiving line across 10 games played. His best collegiate season came in 2018, when he caught 86 passes for 1,491 yards and 12 touchdowns.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 10, 2021, 12:39 PM ET

I'm curious to see what this young man runs on his 40. He wins contested catches over DBs repetively on film. Has a Steve Smith tenacity to him. He's not going down without stiffing arming a guy first.

One of my favorite prospects in this draft so far. A little bit of Sidney Rice in this guy.

I'm curious to see what this young man runs on his 40. He wins contested catches over DBs repetively on film. Has a Steve Smith tenacity to him. He's not going down without stiffing arming a guy first.

One of my favorite prospects in this draft so far. A little bit of Sidney Rice in this guy.
Sidney Rice was 6'4". What about Rice do you see in him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan.  

I felt he looked pretty athletic winning a lot of those jump balls.  And he's doing it against power 5 competition.  

He took short passes and broke them for big gains.

He got open in the red-zone and scored TD's against big time competition.  

I'm not going to fight anyone arguing that he's a 1st round pick.  But I like his chances of being a "hit" in the 2nd round.  

Oklahoma State WR Tylan Wallace ran a 4.48 second 40-yard dash at his pro day workout.

Wallace (5'11/194) ran a solid 40-yard dash in addition to a credible 33" vertical jump and 6.97 3-Cone drill.   He had an excellent 2018 season, but his 2019 campaign was derailed by a torn ACL. He bounced back in a 2020 season that was shortened due to the coronavirus pandemic, catching seven touchdown passes and racking up 922 receiving yards. While a very good route-runner with reliable hands, Wallace doesn't have the top-end speed that some of the other top wide receivers in the class possess and sometimes lacks the height to outjump corners 1-on-1, but he has a knack for making big plays down the field. He projects as a late Day 2-early Day 3 NFL Draft selection

SOURCE: Pistols Firing on Twitter

Apr 1, 2021, 6:19 PM ET

Seems to be a late 2nd round pick in start 1qb dynasty leagues.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 3rd.

Seems to be a late 2nd round pick in start 1qb dynasty leagues.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 3rd.
I've got him at WR9.  I'm kind of split between he and Toney.  If he falls into the 3rd, I'll be happy to snag him there or tail end of the 2nd. 

Feels like there might have been something exciting here before the knee injury but maybe that's wiped some of his athleticism. This is really shaky conclusions but his twin brother has town his ACL 3 times I believe. Tylan has done it once. It does make you question his viability. 

Diggs feels lofty, but I love the kid for fantasy.
Wallace is probably never a #1 WR, but that doesn't me he can't have fantasy success as a WR2.   But....he lacks burst, isn't that big (kind of a tweener to me) and probably won't win contested catches.  However, to his credit he has put up big numbers against good competition.  

Wallace is probably never a #1 WR, but that doesn't me he can't have fantasy success as a WR2.   But....he lacks burst, isn't that big (kind of a tweener to me) and probably won't win contested catches.  However, to his credit he has put up big numbers against good competition.  
Why don't you think he will be an asset with contested catches?

Why don't you think he will be an asset with contested catches?
He was good at contested catches in college, but he might struggle against bigger DBs at the next level due to his thin frame.  I'm just not a fan of his size for someone that lacks speed.

He was good at contested catches in college, but he might struggle against bigger DBs at the next level due to his thin frame.  I'm just not a fan of his size for someone that lacks speed.
This pretty much sums it up. I was ready to be excited with the rumors of him blazing at Exos but his testing numbers were really sad for a 190 pound WR. He really needs strong capital and landing spot to get back on my radar. 

Ravens selected Oklahoma State WR Tylan Wallace with the No. 131 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The Z receiver in Oklahoma State's Air Raid offense, Wallace (5'11/194) recorded 86/1,491/12 and 17.3 yards per catch as a 19-year-old sophomore in 2018 before tearing his ACL nine games into the 2019 season. He still produced 26 touchdowns and averaged 106.9 yards per game the past three years, leveraging his experience in track and basketball to not only beat corners one-on-one downfield but sky over them for an FBS-high 43 contested catches in that span. It's still a question mark whether Wallace can succeed with that skillset beyond Big 12 competition since he underwhelmed as a 19th percentile athlete at the Cowboys' pro day. Wallace joins free-agent pickup Sammy Watkins and first-rounder Rashod Bateman as newcomers in the Ravens' wideout group alongside Hollywood Brown, pushing Miles Boykin to the back burner.

May 1, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread