Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Driving tips - whatcha got?

1 hour ago, Navin Johnson said:

Stay right if you're not actively passing 

I know this is sacrosanct in other parts of the U.S.

Around here, there comes a traffic-density point on the interstate where you’ll find yourself constantly “actively passing” when trying to abide by the right-lane rule. So you have two options: you can drop down to 5-10 below the limit and cruise in the right lane .., or you can cruise in the left lane at 10 over while taking care to move right for cars overtaking you. I always choose the latter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Doug B said:

I know this is sacrosanct in other parts of the U.S.

Around here, there comes a traffic-density point on the interstate where you’ll find yourself constantly “actively passing” when trying to abide by the right-lane rule. So you have two options: you can drop down to 5-10 below the limit and cruise in the right lane .., or you can cruise in the left lane at 10 over while taking care to move right for cars overtaking you. I always choose the latter.

I’m in NJ between Trenton and Philly.  I-295 is my most travelled highway.  PThis is essentially what I do.

Might apply more to Otis driving without kids,  but adjusting your side view mirrors on both sides to focus on your blind spots.    

How to adjust your mirrors

"The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror."

In actual practice...while sitting in the driver's seat/with seatbelt on  - I lean my head to the left and adjust my  left mirror  so it just sees my left side paint, same thing on right...lean right...adjust right til it sees paint.    Rearview mirror right down the center.   Make sure your settings are correct while at a light...watch cars coming up behind you dissappear from your center and appear in your side view.

I drive a S5 with a Valentine.     Advice may not be applicable with better views from inside your car.

Edited by kodycutter
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Might apply more to Otis driving without kids,  but adjusting your side view mirrors on both sides to focus on your blind spots.    

How to adjust your mirrors

"The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror."

In actual practice...while sitting in the driver's seat/with seatbelt on  - I lean my head to the left and adjust my  left mirror  so it just sees my left side paint, same thing on right...lean right...adjust right til it sees paint.    Rearview mirror right down the center.   Make sure your settings are correct while at a light...watch cars coming up behind you dissappear from your center and appear in your side view.

I drive a S5 with a Valentine.     Advice may not be applicable with better views from inside your car.

I'm don't think I knew some/most people don't do this. This is how I've had my mirrors as long as I can remember. I set the side mirrors just beyond the side of my car. 

Edited by FBG26
  • Like 1
Just now, Dezbelief said:

I hate trying merge when the person in front of you is going well under the speed limit.

You don’t go all the way to the front, you never stop and park in the lane you are merging from, you don’t merge a quarter mile early. You zipper, you let #######s in if they are going to cause issues.

Its a delicate dance, not everyone seems to understand. I could teach a course.

• Like 3

What not to do-stay in left lane after you pass someone, on a two lane highway speed up when you get to a passing zone and then slow back down in the no passing zone areas, on a road trip when nearing a time zone change let your wife drive, she’ll say she was driving 2x as long as she has....

5 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

How does it work with self-driving cars?  Any of you Tesla guys know?  Can you set the autopilot to speed? 

I wish I knew this, but I usually just crawl into the back seat for a nap.

This oughta go over like a fart in church, but here's my driving tip.........how about slow down a little? :shrug:

I've always caught hell for being a slow driver. I typically do 5-10 miles over the limit. But I'm not the fastest accelerator. Partly by choice (ain't trying to rag my car out), and partly by necessity (I drive beaters). Yes, of course, I try to be as courteous a slow poke as I can be, staying right and all. 

In town, I just don't understand the fascination people have with racing from stop light to stop light. 

I'm a moderate driver on the highway, but I'm not trying to drive fast enough that I have to expend a lot of mental energy avoiding cops and beating tickets. But again, I drive beaters. I'd probably think differently driving a performance vehicle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 2/13/2021 at 10:58 PM, bostonfred said:

Don't look for speed traps, look for brake lights ahead of you from people who already saw the speed trap. 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:55 PM, Ron Popeil said:

Always be checking the rearview for headlight shapes at night.  Many a perceived ticked dodged by taking the foot off the gas a the right time.  And a couple were actually cops.  

These two are good. 

I will add hills. Don’t go over hills you can’t see over in the left lane while speeding. The fuzz likes to wait on the other side of said hills and catch ya. 

Yeah.  I don't speed.  Never have and never do.  Within 5 mph of the speed limit at all times.  I don't see the need.  I stay in the middle or right lane, I don't clog up the left lane.  On an average given ride of a half hour or so, I just don't see the big advantage of being there 2 minutes earlier.  

And on a related note, I never have road rage.  Don't see the need for that either.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, The General said:

You don’t go all the way to the front, you never stop and park in the lane you are merging from, you don’t merge a quarter mile early. You zipper, you let #######s in if they are going to cause issues.

Its a delicate dance, not everyone seems to understand. I could teach a course.

You're doing it wrong

6 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

You're doing it wrong

If everyone goes all the way to the front it doesn’t work if, for instance, there is a lot of traffic. It’s a fine line. That will be covered later in my more advanced courses.

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, The General said:

If everyone goes all the way to the front it doesn’t work if, for instance, there is a lot of traffic. It’s a fine line. That will be covered later in my more advanced courses.

While I don’t go all the way, that is best for traffic. Of course that only works in an ideal world, where everyone accepts alternating vehicles at the front of the zipper.

• Like 2
On 2/14/2021 at 12:22 AM, EYLive said:

Always use your blinkers. Don't be that selfish jerk that think everyone else needs to avoid your unpredictable lane changes.

And please... blinker THEN brake... not the other way around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If there is moderate traffic and a car leaves an appropriate cushion in front of them based on driving speed, don’t enter that space without clearly signaling your intentions with a blinker. This allows adjustment of the space without excessive braking. Better yet, don’t do it all, unless you have an upcoming turn/exit.

Start slowing well before you are upon the rear bumper of the car in front of you. Abrupt braking is obnoxious, and promotes traffic. This is especially true if you drive a large truck/SUV.

Speaking of big trucks, don’t blind others with your lights. Be cognizant where your lights shine based on the height of your vehicle.

In stop-and-go/heavy traffic minimize dead space. Realize there is a cascading effect behind you from every half car length needlessly left vacant.

Don’t use your phone. I don’t care if you have it mounted on the dash/Bluetooth/hands free, etc. Pay attention to driving instead.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Deepster said:

Yeah.  I don't speed.  Never have and never do.  Within 5 mph of the speed limit at all times.  I don't see the need.  I stay in the middle or right lane, I don't clog up the left lane.  On an average given ride of a half hour or so, I just don't see the big advantage of being there 2 minutes earlier.  

And on a related note, I never have road rage.  Don't see the need for that either.

I don’t speed because it saves time. It usually makes little difference. I speed because I enjoy moving fast.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I don’t speed because it saves time. It usually makes little difference. I speed because I enjoy moving fast.

As long as you choose the right spots, nothing wrong here.  I used to wake up early on weekend mornings just to get a free shot at the interstate. Weekdays would be too clogged.

40 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

While I don’t go all the way, that is best for traffic. Of course that only works in an ideal world, where everyone accepts alternating vehicles at the front of the zipper.

Yes and where the zipper merge start needs to be flexible based on traffic density. Automated cars will address this if my classes can’t :lol:

Edited by The General

It's amazing how many people I see driving with a phone in their hand.     My rules - I leave plenty of space in front of me and I always drive so I can get to the right lane.     I drive to open space and have the hp to do it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

If that's worth putting yourself and others at added risk, I guess that's cool.

3 hours ago, Deepster said:

If that's worth putting yourself and others at added risk, I guess that's cool.

I think the objective risk is small, and suspect speed limits determined using vehicles with modern performance/safety features might be a little different than those set decades ago.

At some point human reaction time is the limiting factor, of course, but on a straight, open stretch of dry road with good visibility, why do highway speed limits vary from 55 to 85 mph? Do Texans drive that much better than Hawaiians? 

50 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I think the objective risk is small, and suspect speed limits determined using vehicles with modern performance/safety features might be a little different than those set decades ago.

At some point human reaction time is the limiting factor, of course, but on a straight, open stretch of dry road with good visibility, why do highway speed limits vary from 55 to 85 mph? Do Texans drive that much better than Hawaiians? 

Not to mention that a national speed limit of 55 was an attempt at government policy aimed at saving gasoline during the oil crises of '73 and '77. It was established around '74 and explicitly was about saving gasoline, though it was later claimed (somewhat controversially) to have "saved lives," according the National Research Council.

I'd say keep your tires inflated to the proper PSI. That'll cut down on bad gas mileage. :drive:

On 2/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, [icon] said:

On road trips I fly low, road conditions permitting. Assuming 2+ lanes With smooth open flow in one, I usually will hold 100-110mph. My car (older LS460) handles remarkably well at that speed.

Frankly it's very comfortable handling at 120-125 and I've had it over 150 on wide open two lane straight stretch.  However, it started to get a little spooky at that speed given I didn't know the road surface (which was very good) well, so I Pulled back. I did pass one car and I'll admit it's a little surreal passing someone who is going 70 at that speed... relative speed is akin to passing a parked car at 80. You just whip past. 

I realize that's quick, but conversely I'm never that guy whipping in and out of lanes between cars. If there's traffic I slow down and go with the flow more or less. I'm also fairly religious about cruising in the right lane / passing in the left lane, using signals for lane changes and all the other courtesies of good freeway travel. 

arent you concerned you’re going straight to jail if you’re pulled over at those speeds?

3 minutes ago, Otis said:

arent you concerned you’re going straight to jail if you’re pulled over at those speeds?

At 150, yes. But it was a several mile stretch of divided 4 lane road with rock walls on either side (pro: nowhere for cops to hide, con: dead if I hit it)... awesome visibility and road conditions so kinda went for it. Didn't maintain balls out for more than15-20 seconds max, then eased back down. 

IMO down here, even at 120 you're likely fine unless you get a state trooper or someone on a mission. 100 definitely not going to jail unless it's in a school zone :lol: 

Edited by [icon]