What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Michael Carter, claimed by AZ (1 Viewer)

UNC’s Michael Carter ready to prove he’s a feature running back

It’s been a long time since Michael Carter has had the opportunity to be the focal point of a team’s run game. During his time at North Carolina, Carter has been a part of a backfield committee, most recently sharing the load with Javonte Williams.

But in this particular setup, the Tar Heels were nothing short of magnificent on the ground.

Carter showcased his explosiveness to the tune of a team-high 1,245 yards, with nine touchdowns. In the process, Carter averaged a massive 8.0 yards per carry. His counterpart Williams totaled 1,140 yards and a staggering 19 rushing touchdowns.

Just imagine the numbers had Carter had the backfield to himself.

With the NFL calling off its annual scouting combine this year, Carter has the luxury of participating in the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, where a maximum 10 representatives per NFL team are allowed to attend. Throughout the week, Carter will look to catch the eye of those teams that need help in the run game, whether it’s through a committee or what he’d love to be a part of for the first time since high school -- a feature back.

“I think I’m more than ready,” Carter told reporters following Wednesday’s Senior Bowl practice. “I feel as if in college I really didn’t get to do it because I played with some great running backs, from Antonio Williams to Jordan Brown and Javonte Williams, who, of course, is a great running back -- elite running back. I feel I haven’t really had the opportunity to do it since high school, and I’m excited for the opportunity to do it in the NFL.”

The Falcons are among those teams who could use additional help at running back. This season, the Falcons ranked 27th in the NFL in rushing, averaging only 95.8 yards per game. With the fourth overall pick, the Falcons aren’t likely to take a running back in the first round without trading back. If the Falcons keep the high draft selection, the second, third and fourth rounds could become quite interesting when it comes to adding depth at the position.

As the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coordinator, Falcons coach Arthur Smith built his unit around running back Derrick Henry and the ground game. Over the past two seasons, Henry ran for a combined 3,567 yards and 33 touchdowns. It’s obvious Smith will stress the importance of the rushing attack now that he’s coaching the Falcons.

As for how he will approach the run game with the personnel at his disposal, Smith appears to be keeping all of his options open.

“We adapted to Derrick,” Smith said. “There’s only one Derrick Henry, and he’s like having Shaquille O’Neal in his prime. You have to feed the big fella, and certainly we did that in Tennessee. Like I said, every year is different. That’s an example of playing to our strengths and there’s multiple ways to do it. If you have two guys or three guys or if you do find one. I think we have to be flexible. 

“That’s something (general manager) Terry (Fontenot) and I will map out and then we’ll see what happens this spring and what pieces we had and we have currently on the roster.”

Carter’s production and game tape show a seasoned running back without a shortage of playmaking ability. Over the past two seasons, which resulted in campaigns that totaled over 1,000 yards, he displayed great vision and burst through open holes. He repeatedly ran through contact and made defenders miss with his agility. Carter, having played in a spread offense since his days playing youth football in Navarre, Florida, also is a sound receiver out of the backfield.

Yet his listed size at 5-foot-8 and 202 pounds could generate some pause from certain NFL teams. Carter laughed off one reporter’s attempted joke that he looked bigger on television before saying quietly, “What do I even say to that?”

However, there have been plenty of running backs under 5-foot-10 who found success in the NFL. Just this season, Jacksonville Jaguars running back James Robinson tied for fifth in rushing with 1,070 yards, and he’s 5-foot-9.

Carter, who likely will be either a second-day or early third-day draft selection, didn’t grow up far from the Senior Bowl’s location. Navarre, Florida, is roughly an hour and a half away from Mobile, with Carter being very familiar about the all-star event. Carter said he envisioned playing in this game, confident that he was among the nation’s best as he rose the high school and college ranks of the sport.

With the NFL next, Carter said he’s ready to go to work for whichever team takes a chance on him in the draft, which begins April 29.

“Whatever they need, I feel I can do it all,” Carter said. “I’m someone who is committed to the process of doing things in the NFL and being here for the long haul. Whatever they need me to do, I can get it done.”

Big fan of his...some will doubt him because he doesn't look the part but watch the film, the kid can play...I think he will be a viable fantasy back because he can both run and catch and his game will translate very well to the NFL...probably not gonna be a bell-cow at his size but I think he can carve out a Kamara type of role (and please, I am not comparing him to Kamara or his production, just how he could be used) in a best case scenario or at least that of a better Nyheim Hines in a worst case scenario...

He's going to be the new Duke Johnson, where he continually does well in limited role, everyone prays for him to get a full workload, and it'll never happen. 

According to Pro Football Focus, North Carolina RB Michael Carter lead the Power Five in carries of 15-or-more yards. 

Better yet, Carter was one of just three players to have at least 20 such runs. Carter ripped off 29 carries of 15-or-more yards, solidifying his status as one of the most explosive runners in the country and a premier RB option in the 2021 NFL Draft. The only other two players to cross the 20 mark were UNC teammate Michael Carter (27) and Iowa State's Breece Hall (25).

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Mar 28, 2021, 2:15 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, North Carolina RB Michael Carter lead the Power Five in carries of 15-or-more yards. 

Better yet, Carter was one of just three players to have at least 20 such runs. Carter ripped off 29 carries of 15-or-more yards, solidifying his status as one of the most explosive runners in the country and a premier RB option in the 2021 NFL Draft. The only other two players to cross the 20 mark were UNC teammate Michael Carter (27) and Iowa State's Breece Hall (25).

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Mar 28, 2021, 2:15 PM ET

Imma just say this. It really pisses me off that legitimate paid professionals can't edit their ####. So here is the thing. I have absolutely zero idea whether they are talking about Williams or Carter with the 29 carries of 15+ yards. This doesn't affect my FF ranking of Carter or Williams but I have been drinking heavily and this kind of amateur hour journalism really grinds my gears. You had one job! There isn't even a spin or take here. It is just a report. Get it ####### straight.

Fine I'll go low and call it what it is. Bush league. Rant over gonna crank some more Derek and the Dominoes (The Layla Sessions) and see what the neighbors think.

From Jim Nagy. Also can anyone refer to me a good website that is putting all the pro day results in one place?

RB Michael Carter

HT 5077 WT 201

Hand 8 3/4

Arm 29 1/8

Wing 73 3/8 40-yd 4.50/4.56 (NFL scout)

VJ 34.0

BJ 9-11

SS 3.98

3C 6.81

BP 16x

menobrown said:
Also can anyone refer to me a good website that is putting all the pro day results in one place?
I've been using the PFF tracker, although they're not the fastest to update. I've been trying to find a site that puts them all in a big table, but haven't found one.

Also, different sources give different numbers, especially for 40 times. My impression from word-of-mouth is that draftscout is the most accurate, but it also takes them a few days to post results and they're spread across individual player pages.

I've been using the PFF tracker, although they're not the fastest to update. I've been trying to find a site that puts them all in a big table, but haven't found one.

Also, different sources give different numbers, especially for 40 times. My impression from word-of-mouth is that draftscout is the most accurate, but it also takes them a few days to post results and they're spread across individual player pages.
Yes a list is good, an accurate list is even better and I know I've seen some disparity on some stuff already.

Jarett Patterson was one that comes to mind, keep hearing 4.52 range but Nagy said he has scouts that had him in the 4.58-4.6 range. Starting to think inaccuracy is the best we'll get this year.

Why Michael Carter is the second-best RB in the 2021 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

“The reason I have (Michael) Carter second, Carter has elite vision," said Hunt. "He has the best vision of any back in this draft class and I talk about how you can be your own blocker. There are many times when you are watching him play and he’s running inside zone and he is ripping up these zone runs and it’s not like it’s a gaping hole. He done made four or five guys [miss] without touching him in that hole before he gets outside and takes it to the house.

“Juxtaposed to his teammate, Javonte Williams, who hasn’t found a linebacker he didn’t want to try to run through. But you can’t do that at the NFL level. There are no 18-, 19-year-olds at the NFL level, so guys won’t be afraid of you coming downhill in the run game. So I just like Carter’s vision."

Regardless of what's said right now by guys like Brandt Carter will go either towards the end of the 1st to early to mid-2nd of start 1qb dynasty leagues.  Nothing they say is going to change that IMO.

Jets selected North Carolina RB Michael Carter with the No. 107 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Carter (5’8/201) was a three-star recruit and four-year contributor at North Carolina. Because of his size and the presence of second-rounder Javonte Williams, Carter never had a season with more than 200 touches and projects as a part-timer in the NFL. What Carter lacks in size and burst (4.50 forty, 34-inch vert) is partially made up by instincts, vision, and elusiveness as a rusher (6.6 YPC), but his biggest strength, by far, is his comfort as a receiver. He had 82 career receptions with just six drops and played on most third downs under coach Mack Brown. Unfortunately, his size will be hard to overcome, even in pass protection. Carter compares to Chase Edmonds, likely maxing out as a 1B in a committee, but he couldn't have asked for a better landing spot. The Jets currently just employ La'Mical Perine, Ty Johnson, Tevin Coleman, and Josh Adams on the depth chart.

May 1, 2021, 12:15 PM ET

Daniel Jeremiah as the pick was being made had the comparisons of Michael Carter to Devonta Freeman or possibly a faster version of Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Jeremiah as the pick was being made had the comparisons of Michael Carter to Devonta Freeman or possibly a faster version of Clyde Edwards-Helaire.
I have mentioned it before but he reminds me of when Dion Lewis was healthy for the Pats.

Don't think he's as good as either Freeman or CEH but has virtually nothing in front of him. Based on landing spot alone, compounded by the underwhelming tandem of Perine and Coleman, gives him immediate fantasy value. He'll sneak into the back end of round #1 of rookie drafts. I think he will be a decent pro, especially in ppr formats, but doesn't have the chops for a three down role...that's not an insult, most RB don't have that skill set. He was exciting to watch in college and think he'll have some splash plays.

Like Carter more than most and this landing spot is pretty sweet even if he went later than I hoped. 

Last 3 years:

Javonte: 2836 yards, 6.3 ypc, 50 receptions, 33 TDs

Carter: 3401 yards, 6.8 ypc, 71 recpetions, 29 TDs

Carter was able to hold his own and keep a very significant role despite Javonte being there. He matched him every strep of the way in production. Now Javonte definitely gets the edge NFL wise because of his size as well as being a year younger, but Carter is no slouch. I see him somewhere between Devonta Freeman and Dion Lewis. 

I like Carter.  I like the landing spot and opportunity.  I like what the Jets are putting together offensively.

I worry his situation has people drafting him in the 1st round of rookie drafts.  And with 4th round capital, I worry they’ll add someone via FA or draft someone else.  Maybe not until 2022, but if I’m spending a 1st, I sure wish I felt better about the backfield being his for 2022 and beyond.0

Like Carter more than most and this landing spot is pretty sweet even if he went later than I hoped. 

Last 3 years:

Javonte: 2836 yards, 6.3 ypc, 50 receptions, 33 TDs

Carter: 3401 yards, 6.8 ypc, 71 recpetions, 29 TDs

Carter was able to hold his own and keep a very significant role despite Javonte being there. He matched him every strep of the way in production. Now Javonte definitely gets the edge NFL wise because of his size as well as being a year younger, but Carter is no slouch. I see him somewhere between Devonta Freeman and Dion Lewis. 
Draft capital be damned, I thought Carter compared pretty favorably to Edwards-Helaire. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up being a top-5 fantasy player from this draft. 

Took him in a ppr redraft best ball league in the 12th round. I think he could pay nice dividends in this format. 

jm192 said:
I like Carter.  I like the landing spot and opportunity.  I like what the Jets are putting together offensively.

I worry his situation has people drafting him in the 1st round of rookie drafts.  And with 4th round capital, I worry they’ll add someone via FA or draft someone else.  Maybe not until 2022, but if I’m spending a 1st, I sure wish I felt better about the backfield being his for 2022 and beyond.0
I love Carter but you need to be prepared for the fact that at some point he will probably have a running mate at RB...he just doesn't project to be a bell-cow...the good news is he will have ample opportunity to show what he can do this year and as long as he is productive in the passing game I think he can carve out a very relevant fantasy role...after the "big 3" the pickings are slim at RB this year and I will be interested to see where people rank him versus the WRs because that is probably what the decision will be when you're on the clock.

I love Carter but you need to be prepared for the fact that at some point he will probably have a running mate at RB...he just doesn't project to be a bell-cow...the good news is he will have ample opportunity to show what he can do this year and as long as he is productive in the passing game I think he can carve out a very relevant fantasy role...after the "big 3" the pickings are slim at RB this year and I will be interested to see where people rank him versus the WRs because that is probably what the decision will be when you're on the clock.
Yeah.  My first gut check says 13-15 range.  If people want him higher, I’ll take the dudes they pass on

Yeah.  My first gut check says 13-15 range.  If people want him higher, I’ll take the dudes they pass on
Could be a guy you let someone else draft then you try to trade for...at least that is my plan right now.

Exactly this. I’m RB needy in an FFPC a league (TE premium) assuming Chase, Pitts and the big 3 RBs go in the top 5, I’m left either flipping a coin between Waddle and Smith, or "reaching" for one of Carter or Sermon. I also have the 1.10 and 1.11 and wondering which of those 2 is least likely to make it to 1.10 so I take him at 1.06, then take the other at 1.10 and BPA (likely a WR or Lawrence) at 1.11. I also have Mostert/Wilson, so maybe Sermon drops to 1.10 since most will avoid a potential RBBC. Anyway, that is what I’ll be obsessing about for the next week til the draft starts. 

Exactly this. I’m RB needy in an FFPC a league (TE premium) assuming Chase, Pitts and the big 3 RBs go in the top 5, I’m left either flipping a coin between Waddle and Smith, or "reaching" for one of Carter or Sermon. I also have the 1.10 and 1.11 and wondering which of those 2 is least likely to make it to 1.10 so I take him at 1.06, then take the other at 1.10 and BPA (likely a WR or Lawrence) at 1.11. I also have Mostert/Wilson, so maybe Sermon drops to 1.10 since most will avoid a potential RBBC. Anyway, that is what I’ll be obsessing about for the next week til the draft starts. 
Trade down before reaching.

That and Javante could easily be there

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread