What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, NE (1 Viewer)

Oklahoma senior RB Rhamondre Stevenson declared for the NFL Draft.

Stevenson (5'11/235) missed the first half of the year due to suspension, but when he returned the JUCO transfer took hold of the starting running back job and excelled. In six games this season, the senior tailback received 101 carries for 665 yards, 6.6 YPC and seven touchdowns as the clear lead back. He was particularly devastating in the Cotton Bowl win, posting 10.3 YPC and 4.78 yards after contact en route to 186 yards on the ground. For the year, he is sporting an impressive 36% broken tackle rate and averages an elite 3.89 yards after contact. His PFF run grade of 90.5 is one of the highest RB grades in the country and the burly tailback's impressive size and strength make him a tantalizing NFL Draft prospect. Stevenson is currently trending as a third round selection, though how he tests at the combine could increase his stock.

SOURCE: Rhamondre Stevenson on Twitter

Jan 8, 2021, 11:03 AM ET

Probably my biggest RB sleeper right now, which post-draft won't really mean much but were I'm at right now.

Big back with good feet and pass catching ability. The two main things that score points in PPR leagues are TD's and receptions and these are things he should do well if given a chance.

If we'd had a combine he'd have possibly been the player I'd have been most interested in seeing.

Yeah, he's definitely someone to keep in mind in the later round of rookie drafts. High YPA, but little usage, could possibly be a late round steal in both FF drafts and maybe even the NFL draft. Definitely a sleeper.

Kudos to you for starting these threads. 2020 will be a tough year for evaluating rookies and shark pool has needed something like this for a while now. 

I read some stuff that has given me pause on a couple other of the RBs that are projected to come after the big 3. I'm wondering if this guy shouldn't be in consideration for RB4. Am I crazy? If I'm right that means the RB crop is even crappier than I thought and that an early 2nd might do it. Just fishing for info here I know nothing about him except he is big and apparently has good receiving skills?

Legal in some form in 44 states, NFL has totally revised the way they test and punish for marijuana so I'd say yes, it's perfectly ok.
So weed is now OK in the NFL?  I hadn't read that.  What's Josh Gordon doing these days?

oh the horror
Still will get you suspended in the NFL.  I agree with you that pot isn't a horrible thing, but didn't Gordon fail another test recently and why he won't be getting any other chances.

Edited - link provided later that describes the new CBA rules on the subject.  Thanks @menobrown

Last edited by a moderator:
Still will get you suspended in the NFL.  I agree with you that pot isn't a horrible thing, but didn't Gordon fail another test recently and why he won't be getting any other chances.
Yeah we should put Stevenson in the same category as Gordon. It is a perfect comp.

Josh Gordon's has lot more problems then marijuana.
Regardless, as far as I know the rules for suspension are still the same.  That may change in the future, but I'm not banking my dynasty decisions on that unless I can get him cheap (3rd or 4th round of dynasty drafts).  Anyone who selects him in the 2nd, in this deep draft, is taking risk IMO.  Plus he's already 23.

It is my understanding that the rules for suspension in the NFL for pot use hasn't changed and if they have, I would like to know what they are.
It's actually more lenient then I thought. You asked for a link were the NFL does not suspend for marijuana, here it is.

I knew NFL revised when they test drastically to point you'd be a hardcore fool to test positive, just have to be clean 2 weeks before camp and then you could toke away.  That's true but I thought if you were actually dumb enough to test positive during this phase and then said screw it and just kept on testing smoking and testing positive at some point you'd get suspended. That's actually not true, it's nothing that can get you suspended any longer.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-new-marijuana-policy-rules-cba-2020/1svd83aq5q0m71x4t2rftto1m5

It's actually more lenient then I thought. You asked for a link were the NFL does not suspend for marijuana, here it is.

I knew NFL revised when they test drastically to point you'd be a hardcore fool to test positive, just have to be clean 2 weeks before camp and then you could toke away.  That's true but I thought if you were actually dumb enough to test positive during this phase and then said screw it and just kept on testing smoking and testing positive at some point you'd get suspended. That's actually not true, it's nothing that can get you suspended any longer.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-new-marijuana-policy-rules-cba-2020/1svd83aq5q0m71x4t2rftto1m5
Thanks for posting that.  Here are the details for those that don't want to click the link.  

A lot will change with the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement, including a new drug policy in which players will no longer be suspended for positive marijuana tests.

The new CBA will reduce the testing period from four months to the two weeks at the start of training camp. A new threshold for a positive test will also be put in place, raising the allowed amount of THC from 35 nanograms to 150.

The league is moving away from a punishment approach and toward providing help for those that need it. If a player tests positive during the two week stretch of training camp, his test is reviewed by a board of medical professionals that has been appointed by both the players and league. The board then decides if the player needs treatment.

MORE: Players offer mixed reactions to new CBA

The old CBA's guidelines were much more strict. NFL players with no previous violations were tested once in the offseason. During the regular season, 10 players per team were randomly selected to be tested each week. A positive test meant a referral to the substance abuse program. A second violation resulted in a fine of two game checks, a third violation was a fine of four game checks, a fourth violation was a four-game suspension, a fifth violation was a 10-game suspension and a sixth violation resulted in a one-year ban.

Josh Gordon and Randy Gregory have both had severe suspensions due to multiple positive tests for marijuana in the last few years. In similar cases under the new CBA, the results will be much different. 

The new CBA also changes the policy on performance-enhancing drugs:

First failed test for stimulants or diuretics is a two-game suspension

First failed test for anabolic steroids is a six-game suspension

Manipulation or substitution and use of a prohibited substance is an eight-game suspension

Second failed test for stimulants or diuretics is a five-game suspension

Second failed test for anabolic steroids is a 17-game suspension

The CBA will also change how the NFL handles its discipline policy. Instead of having the commissioner decide, the new deal stipulates that a "neutral decision-maker" will make the official ruling on most disciplinary cases, which takes some of the power out of the commissioner's hands.

Thanks for posting that.  Here are the details for those that don't want to click the link. 
Welcome and good that it got me to read up on it and clarify you can't get suspended at all for it.

Now on Stevenson. Would some old school NFL GM or key decision maker still say it's a character concern that Stevenson could get suspended for marijuana in college but still lacked the discipline to lay off? That he's telling us football is not that important to him and he can't be responsible? You bet, I'm sure there are a few who will knock him a little. But I personally would be hypocrite if I said that about him, thus my defense of him being a character concern but it could impact his draft stock a little even if he can't get suspended over it.

Welcome and good that it got me to read up on it and clarify you can't get suspended at all for it.

Now on Stevenson. Would some old school NFL GM or key decision maker still say it's a character concern that Stevenson could get suspended for marijuana in college but still lacked the discipline to lay off? That he's telling us football is not that important to him and he can't be responsible? You bet, I'm sure there are a few who will knock him a little. But I personally would be hypocrite if I said that about him, thus my defense of him being a character concern but it could impact his draft stock a little even if he can't get suspended over it.
Getting past the pot thing, he was a late breakout player and a 3 star prospect coming into college.  Something I usually frown upon, but there are late bloomers. 

I can buy the Eddie Lacy comp I saw recently. Big back with feet of a smaller back, underrated receiver.  I could be accused of trying to hard to see something because frankly I'm not loving the RB class this year.
That is where I am at as well. I also have said I don't really think there are that many (FF relevant) job openings in the NFL for RBs. I think the depth charts have filled up with young talent to a large degree and with 2020 being such a high water mark, along with the continued trend of rookie contract issues with RBs, I'm just not sure there is much room beyond the top 3 coming out.

However, I am surely underestimating how much turnover there will be. I always do that, even though I think I err more on the side of being correct on this than my league mates do, the turnover is still nearly shocking every year. At WR as well. Point is that there are going to be some of these "next" tier RBs coming out that will get drafted by someone who will need them, whether that will be more immediately obvious in terms of a landing spot that is wide open (Atlanta), or somewhere more murky but that we believe they might win their way up. So at this point there is a huge 2nd or maybe 3rd tier of these kinds of RBs like Stevenson (not in style but in perceived FF market value) that if they get drafted we're going to be bumping them up and reaching for them.

Long way of saying I think I may be at the point of waiting for the NFL to sort them out a bit more. Not finding any super diamonds in the rough yet.

Draft capital will be interesting for Sevenson, if he's even drafted.  If he is drafted and is drafted in the 3rd round, I will stand up and pay attention.  If he goes 4th round or later, or isn't drafted, then he's a very late dynasty pick in my mind.  Very few 4th round RBs or later, or not at all, have had a lot of success the last 3 years.  I believe i read 4 of the last 14 have had some success.  So NFL draft capital matters with most RBs and is something that I'm paying more attention to now than ever before.

Getting past the pot thing, he was a late breakout player and a 3 star prospect coming into college.  Something I usually frown upon, but there are late bloomers. 
Late breakout: Sort of but not because he did not perform when given a chance. Just had to take Juco route but has performed fairly well from get go on opportunities given.

3 star:  I believe so was Javonte Williams, Josh Jacobs, etc, etc.  I do check back on past recruiting classes but I can't say it's a huge thing and  I'm usually looking for the opposite. Like why did a high ranked player underperform?

23 years old: We seem to have a lot of older RB's in this draft. Obviously this is a bigger concern with someone like Najee who cost top dollar. Stevenson, similar to the Herbert discussion we had yesterday, for were I think you'll need to draft him it's a very very small issue.  Now you said something like round 4 but in my leagues that's going to be more round 2/early 3 is my guess, for both of those players. To me for that cost, if you think the guy can actually play, the age is only a factor if used as like a tiebreaker between another equal player who is younger.

On Stevenson I just wish we could have seen him against some more difficult defense. Got Florida in his last game but they had several key people out and frankly did not look really into the game. He looks a bit slow, I'm thinking 4.65'ish.  Low tread is great but only one game with more then 20 carries and just not much of a sustained track record of being a bell cow for a significant duration, except in JUCO. Now that's party due to suspension but it is what it is. Lost a lot of weight for senior bowl but did not create a lot of buzz, that was a bit concerning.

He's got plenty of flaws to pick apart, but again the size, the feet, vision, hands and producing on his opportunities make him a little intriguing once we get past the top RB's.

Long way of saying I think I may be at the point of waiting for the NFL to sort them out a bit more. Not finding any super diamonds in the rough yet.
Seems like a copout to say it, like we don't have opinions and just sway on what the NFL says and does except it's 100% true that the process of wading them through them, being able to visualize their skilset and role in an offense is a giant peace of the puzzle. Draft pedigree never hurt either to factor in the equation. I look at Rb's like Gainwell and Carter, are they  looking at Hines/Gio type roles or something closer to a Kamara/CMC type of usage. We won't know for sure after the draft but certainly can get a better idea.

Speaking of draft pedigree the second round of the NFL draft has become like the new first round I think with respect to how we view RB's. If you go in round two you are likely a high first round pick, off top of my head only two RB's in past few years that went in round 2 that were not consensus first round fantasy picks was AJ Dillon(who was close) and Christine Michel. Maybe I am forgetting someone.

Not sure why I went on off on that second round tangent in the Stevenson thread, that won't apply to him.

Draft capital will be interesting for Sevenson, if he's even drafted.  If he is drafted and is drafted in the 3rd round, I will stand up and pay attention.  If he goes 4th round or later, or isn't drafted, then he's a very late dynasty pick in my mind.  Very few 4th round RBs or later, or not at all, have had a lot of success the last 3 years.  I believe i read 4 of the last 14 have had some success.  So NFL draft capital matters with most RBs and is something that I'm paying more attention to now than ever before.
Typed my response above before seeing this and yes. I agree. Second round is gold as I was saying, round 3 is valued, you drop into day 3 and odds start getting shaky.

My guess is Stevenson is a day 3 pick.

He's right on that line for me between 4th or 5th round draft capital. I don't hate him, but he looks pretty pedestrian. Eddie Lacy is the high end for me too. He looks more like a Devontae Booker type at best.

If he goes higher than that then sure I'll move him up my board and all but right now he's my RB11 in a class that just isn't very appealing after the top3. 

Draft capital will be interesting for Sevenson, if he's even drafted.  If he is drafted and is drafted in the 3rd round, I will stand up and pay attention.  If he goes 4th round or later, or isn't drafted, then he's a very late dynasty pick in my mind.  Very few 4th round RBs or later, or not at all, have had a lot of success the last 3 years.  I believe i read 4 of the last 14 drafted in the 3rd round have had some success.  So NFL draft capital matters with most RBs and is something that I'm paying more attention to now than ever before.
I found the video and found that only 4 of 14 3rd rd rbs have had some success the last 5 years and NONE of 19 4th rounders, dismissing a few weeks of success from Gallman.

He's right on that line for me between 4th or 5th round draft capital. I don't hate him, but he looks pretty pedestrian. Eddie Lacy is the high end for me too. He looks more like a Devontae Booker type at best.

If he goes higher than that then sure I'll move him up my board and all but right now he's my RB11 in a class that just isn't very appealing after the top3. 
If he goes undrafted I probably will pass.  If he goes in the 4th round or later I wouldn't touch until the 4th rd of my rookie draft because of how deep this draft is with WRs..  If he goes in the 3rd round he probably wouldn't be on any of my teams since I wouldn't touch until the 3rd, for the same reason, depth of this draft.

Seems like a copout to say it, like we don't have opinions and just sway on what the NFL says and does except it's 100% true that the process of wading them through them, being able to visualize their skilset and role in an offense is a giant peace of the puzzle. Draft pedigree never hurt either to factor in the equation.
I didn't mean I am done reviewing these guys. I've barely even began. I am just saying I'm skeptical I am going to find someone I really like past the top 3. Until the NFL draft. 

I didn't mean I am done reviewing these guys.
I did not think you meant you were done reviewing them.

Right now I think the draft is overrated. More I've delved into it we got slew of smaller WR's and older RB's.  I'm not really loving my  WR5 or RB4 at the moment, my guess is for me that will change when I can better get a grasp on them after the NFL draft. That's what I was trying to say. Because while I don't love my WR5 or RB4 my guess is in round two of rookie drafts we'll get 1-2 Robinson/Gibson types, I'm just having a hard time identifying which two out of a group of about 5 I think can be that.

I did not think you meant you were done reviewing them.

Right now I think the draft is overrated. More I've delved into it we got slew of smaller WR's and older RB's.  I'm not really loving my  WR5 or RB4 at the moment, my guess is for me that will change when I can better get a grasp on them after the NFL draft. That's what I was trying to say. Because while I don't love my WR5 or RB4 my guess is in round two of rookie drafts we'll get 1-2 Robinson/Gibson types, I'm just having a hard time identifying which two out of a group of about 5 I think can be that.
Yep

OU RB Rhamondre Stevenson ran a 4.63 40-yard dash at the Oklahoma Pro Day.

Stevenson (5'11/230) went into his pro-day workout needing to assuage concerns about his speed and agility. Unfortunately the Oklahoma bruiser posted a below average relative athletic score of 3.81 with a composite speed grade ranking about average. Scouts were hoping to see Stevenson run closer to the 4.5 40-yard dash considering the stocky tailback had trimmed down to 230 pounds in order to improve his speed. His vertical jump of 31.5" is also considered a sub-par mark. You'd also like to see more than 15 bench press reps from a player of his stature. Stevenson was a third-round tweener heading into the day, but may now be knocked into fourth-fifth round territory. 

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 14, 2021, 3:25 PM ET

Faust said:
OU RB Rhamondre Stevenson ran a 4.63 40-yard dash at the Oklahoma Pro Day.

Stevenson (5'11/230) went into his pro-day workout needing to assuage concerns about his speed and agility. Unfortunately the Oklahoma bruiser posted a below average relative athletic score of 3.81 with a composite speed grade ranking about average. Scouts were hoping to see Stevenson run closer to the 4.5 40-yard dash considering the stocky tailback had trimmed down to 230 pounds in order to improve his speed. His vertical jump of 31.5" is also considered a sub-par mark. You'd also like to see more than 15 bench press reps from a player of his stature. Stevenson was a third-round tweener heading into the day, but may now be knocked into fourth-fifth round territory. 

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 14, 2021, 3:25 PM ET
He's now off my board unless I can get him in the 4th round of rookie drafts.  Even then I will probably find someone else I want.

Patriots selected Oklahoma RB Rhamondre Stevenson with the No. 120 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Stevenson (5’11/231) is a late-blooming JUCO transfer (Cerritos Community College) who eventually landed as the power runner in coach Lincoln Riley’s high-octane attack. The 231-pounder compiled 1,180 yards and 13 touchdowns on 165 carries (7.2 YPC) across 19 FBS games, adding 28 receptions as a capable check-down option and pass protector. For a player of his size, Stevenson has nice control over his feet in all phases. However, his raw speed (4.64 forty), age (23 years old), and maturity (poor grades, a failed drug test, and occasionally ballooned weight) cloud his otherwise intriguing profile. Stevenson projects as an Alexander Mattison or Jordan Howard-level committee back in an inside zone scheme, though the Patriots admittedly have two of those prototypes (Damien Harris, Sony Michel) on the roster already. Stevenson could replace Michel if the team chooses to move on from the latter.

May 1, 2021, 12:54 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread