What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D'Wayne Eskridge, SEA (1 Viewer)

2021 Senior Bowl: Film observations from day two

Excerpt:

D'Wayne Eskridge makes a play for the first round?

We mentioned yesterday the buzz around Western Michigan wide receiver D’Wayne Eskridge, whose combination of hands, footwork and speed propelled him to a tremendous first day of Senior Bowl practices. That continued on Wednesday, as Eskridge turned in another solid performance. Once again Eskridge showed the ability to separate on route to all levels of the field, and flashed some hand strength in the few contested catch situations he faced.

The big issue now is, how high can he rise in the draft? ESPN’s Todd McShay was not shy about how he felt on Wednesday, saying that it would not shockhim if Eskridge was a first round pick.

The potential is certainly there, but the value will be the question. Given his size, Eskridge projects primarily as a slot receiver, and the bulk of his work in Mobile came with him working out of the slot. This will drive people back to his Western Michigan film, to see if he can work on the outside and perhaps beat press coverage.

Similar to a discussion that was had last year about Justin Jefferson.

The Broncos did use Eskridge on the boundary, where he faced some press alignments and seemed to handle them with ease. Take this example against Toledo, with Eskridge aligned to the top of the screen:

(click on the link to see the video)

Eskridge works through the attempted jam thanks to his footspeed, which gets him inside the cornerback and in position to catch this quick in-cut.

Now, will his work down in Mobile, and against MAC coverage corners, be enough to satisfy NFL teams that he is worthy of a first-round pick? Maybe, and maybe not. But the fact that we are having this discussion is evidence that he will leave town in very good position for the draft.

Here we go again with this same story every year. There's always an older smaller guy who looks twitchy at the senior bowl because it's all isolated 1v1 and some people get sucked in, write an article or two about how he can sneak into day 1. 

It's a joke. 

Don't touch him. He's fantasy irrelevant. 

Here we go again with this same story every year. There's always an older smaller guy who looks twitchy at the senior bowl because it's all isolated 1v1 and some people get sucked in, write an article or two about how he can sneak into day 1. 

It's a joke. 

Don't touch him. He's fantasy irrelevant. 
Like Penny Hart? 

Sure, I honestly don't even remember that name. Last year was KJ Hill though.
I think you are right about a certain type of guy getting overrated in 1-on-1 drills. But the year before that, the "uncoverable old senior bowl star" was Terry McLaurin. McLaurin ended up being a top-tier athlete, Hill and Hart ended up being small guys who ran in the 4.6 range. If Eskridge checks in with good speed and athleticism, I will pay attention. 

I think you are right about a certain type of guy getting overrated in 1-on-1 drills. But the year before that, the "uncoverable old senior bowl star" was Terry McLaurin. McLaurin ended up being a top-tier athlete, Hill and Hart ended up being small guys who ran in the 4.6 range. If Eskridge checks in with good speed and athleticism, I will pay attention. 
I saw a video this morning with Ray Garvin and a guy with the last name Yates doing a 1st rd mock dynasty draft 1 qb league and Yates took this guy with the 1.10 or the 1.11, I can't remember.  Passing on guys like Gainwell and Jefferson.

ETA:  It was Kyle Yates that took him at 1.10. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhW6CIllrYw&ab_channel=FantasyPros

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a video this morning with Ray Garvin and a guy with the last name Yates doing a 1st rd mock dynasty draft 1 qb league and Yates took this guy with the 1.10 or the 1.11, I can't remember.  Passing on guys like Gainwell and Jefferson.
Whoa... yeah that's too rich for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhW6CIllrYw&ab_channel=FantasyPros

It's Kyle Yates.  He took him at 1.10 if you can believe that.  I don't care if he runs a 4.2 at his pro-day I wouldn't do that.  Here is the link to the mock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhW6CIllrYw&ab_channel=FantasyPros
Aha:

https://www.fantasypros.com/news/correspondents/kyle-yates.php

Regardless if it was Field Yates or Kyle Yates - 1.10 is too early for D'Wayne Eskridge to be selected.

5'9 188 at the Sr. Bowl.  I wouldn't call him thin, but he's pretty short. 
He will probably run a 4.3 at his pro-day.  Interest is definitely growing on this guy from an NFL perspective and will probably do the same in fantasy.  He's never going to be a #1 WR, but that wouldn't be the reason for drafting him.

Changes to NFL rules have allowed a guy like this to make an impact. 

When discussing prospects, it's more important than ever to make a distinction between PPR and non-PPR leagues.

He's WAY more appealing in PPR leagues - as are other guys that are similarly sized.

He will probably run a 4.3 at his pro-day.  Interest is definitely growing on this guy from an NFL perspective and will probably do the same in fantasy.  He's never going to be a #1 WR, but that wouldn't be the reason for drafting him.
Yeah, I could see taking a shot in the later 2nd, but it sounds like that's almost a round later than some like him. 

Yeah, I could see taking a shot in the later 2nd, but it sounds like that's almost a round later than some like him. 
Kyle Yates doesn't speak for most of us.  He's not a 1st rd pick in most dynasty drafts.  In fact, I would be surprised if he's a early to mid 2nd.  More like a 3rd or 4th rd pick in dynasty to me.  Oh the hype is raging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changes to NFL rules have allowed a guy like this to make an impact. 

When discussing prospects, it's more important than ever to make a distinction between PPR and non-PPR leagues.

He's WAY more appealing in PPR leagues - as are other guys that are similarly sized.
I had pictured him more as a Smoky Brown type (maybe I'm connecting too many dots because he's old, fast, and from a small school). Those guys seem to be better in non PPR, relative to other receivers.

But he is thicker than Smoky, and sounds like he might go in round 2, so maybe he'll get more run then just as a deep threat. 

I had pictured him more as a Smoky Brown type (maybe I'm connecting too many dots because he's old, fast, and from a small school). Those guys seem to be better in non PPR, relative to other receivers.

But he is thicker than Smoky, and sounds like he might go in round 2, so maybe he'll get more run then just as a deep threat. 
Guys like this, I always think of Jamison Crowder these days.

The measurables and background also sound a lot like Andy Isabella.

Actually Isabella is about the same age now :scared:

This is why a speed guy with good frame makes it. 
In m mind a speed guy has to be more than a gadget deep target guy.  Not saying the WR subject of this thread is that guy, just saying... He needs to be able to run great routes.  I don't know much about this player's route running, but Yates did say he is twitchy at the LOS.

Giants Now: Daniel Jeremiah's potential draft fits for Big Blue beyond first round

Excerpt:

You don't get as much size with D'Wayne Eskridge from Western Michigan, but he's another one who's a home run hitter. Adds some kickoff return value. Really good at run after the catch stuff. Tough kid who's played corner. His tape as a gunner is phenomenal. He's a really tough kid who kind of fits that style there for the Giants."
Excerpt:

Eskridge had easily his best season for the Broncos in 2020. He caught 33 passes for 768 yards and eight touchdowns in just six games. He also added 17 kickoff returns for 467 yards (27.5 avg.) and a touchdown. His performance led to him being named First-Team All-MAC and the MAC Special Teams Player of the Year.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline believes that Western Michigan WR D'Wayne Eskridge could potentially be drafted as early as the second round.

Pauline was asked in his latest mailbag whether Eskridge had a shot at Day 2. The answer on that, in the analyst's estimation, would be "definitely." And then some. The 5-foot-9, 190-pound wideout has consistently drawn positive scouting buzz this winter/spring and the speedster is near the top of the second tier of this position class once you get past the big names. Eskridge should be able to ace the 40-yard dash when he runs it at WMU's pro day later this month (March 25, specifically).

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 17, 2021, 1:48 PM ET

Reminds me of Pharoah Cooper. He's definitely an athlete. I don't know if it will translate to the WR position. But scout's talent is to find talent not utilize it. He's got talent.

am I wrong to think these hand timed sub-4.4 pro day 40s should be discounted slightly?

if so, by how much? 0.05? 0.20? seems to be no consensus...

am I wrong to think these hand timed sub-4.4 pro day 40s should be discounted slightly?

if so, by how much? 0.05? 0.20? seems to be no consensus...
Combine 40s are hand timed at one end, and everybody pretends those are somehow more “real”. If 3-5 scouts timed it and all ended up within a few hundredths of each other, it’s fine. 

I don't think that is set in stone.  Let's face it, this is going to be a tough evaluation without a combine.
Well I’m taking that much off anyway. Hand timed are always faster than electronic times due to eyes being slower than lasers. 

I thought pro day times were supposed to be discounted by .05
Since they aren't running in pads, I generally discout them entirely.  The time itself is a terrible predictor of NFL success, and just ends up bumping up guys who don't deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread