What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Squirrel vs. Crow (1 Viewer)

Who would win

• Squirrel

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Crow

Votes: 63 72.4%

• Total voters

HERBERT THE HIPPO

REAL Ultimate Power
I'm conducting some backyard research and would like to know who you think would win in an all out fight between a squirrel and a crow. The combatants are an average sized grey squirrel and an average sized black crow. 

HELPFUL comments are welcome and encouraged. I will refrain from commenting at this time as to not influence the outcome. Thank you kindly.

HTH

To the death, I would take the squirrel.  Just a fight over a bird feeder or something, I think the crow could chase the squirrel away.

I have about a dozen gray squirrels in my backyard that will come up to me and take peanuts from my hand. Sometimes I just put a handful of nuts out on a small patio table. There are many large crows that hang around. I've noticed that within minutes of leaving nuts out on the table a crow sentry will sound a dinner bell "CAW CAW" and within seconds a crow gang will show up and make off with the nuts. It's amazing. The squirrels will sound off a barking warning to others if there is a predator about but that seems to be the end of their comms.

So I voted crow because of their vast communication, intelligence and organization skills.

They share a similar size and range, with the crow being slightly larger. However, crows have been seen hunting mice, birds, and other animals, and will regularly harass hawks to get them out of the area, so I think a crow would be able to kill a squirrel, given the right circumstances.

I'm conducting some backyard research and would like to know who you think would win in an all out fight between a squirrel and a cow. The combatants are an average sized grey squirrel and an average sized black cow. 

HELPFUL comments are welcome and encouraged. I will refrain from commenting at this time as to not influence the outcome. Thank you kindly.

HTH

I first read it as a cow and I was intrigued by the matchup.
I really think you should consider the cow matchup. It works well in your OP

I think the squirrel is being severely underestimated by some of you. It can use its quickness to bob and weave to avoid the crow's initial peck and then go for the throat with those razor sharp fangs. It can also jump on the back of the crow and scratch its eyes out while simultaneously biting its face. Squirrel wins this 90% of the time.

If you're into Crows for the intelligence and communication and whatnot, check out Ravens in Winter.  Super interesting and basic science in its purest form.

Crows are incredibly intelligent. They are one of few creatures, other than man, that use tools. I mean they fashion spears to get bugs out of tree trunks.

The crow would just create a nice spear and dive on the hapless squirrel and impale his butt to a tree. Game over. 

In paw to beak contact the squirel would probably win by being able to overpower the crow and has immense balance and control. That being said, no crow is stupid enough to sit on the ground and commit to a grappling style match with a squirel. They would use a air strike approach which would negate the ground and pound abilities of the squirel. But would only be a minor annoyance to the squirel. No clear winner here IMO.

I'm WFH in the blizzard today.  Wife went out this morning and scattered birdseed in the snow/ice on the back patio (all the feeders are frozen solid) and left a few heaps of seed on top of the patio table for the backyard birds.  Within an hour there was a swarm of various chickadees/robins/cardinals/blue jays all going for it.  Then about an hour after that, one fat brown squirrel jumped up on the table and comandeered a pile for himself.  Then a second squirrel found it, and they took over half the table, but still shared with the birds.  The squirrels mainly went for the sunflowers seeds anyway, so plenty of regular seed left for the little birds.   

After 3 hours, a group of crows showed up.  I don't know the minimum required to be a murder, so this was more of a stabbing of crows I'd guess.  They went for the table, but the squirrels were undeterred and made the crows settle for what was scattered on the ground around the table.  Either I have squirrels that just DGAF, or they know they can whip a crow, not sure.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the big red squirrels that a cat wouldn't even mess with, and these big black Ravens with a 5-ft wingspan here.  

The Ravens would win for sure.

My gigantic barred owls dominate. One of my neighbors lost a small dog to one.
I have a cool pick of 3 hawks sitting on my back fence, one with a squirrel in it's talons. Now that my fence is vinyl they don't sit on it anymore

Users who are viewing this thread