Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Squirrel vs. Crow  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I was strongly leaning Crow, but my son reminded me of the Mark Rober youtube on squirrels.  They are not only extremely intelligent and resilient, but have incredible acrobatic skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

The part that starts at about 16 minutes really illustrates the squirrel's awesome powers.

 

Especially post-catapult.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

My gigantic barred owls dominate. One of my neighbors lost a small dog to one.

There's two of these that live somewhere in the woods out back of my house, as well as a screech owl that often comes and sits on my back fence.  Fun to listen to all of them when they decide to call to each other in the evenings.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, wlwiles said:
5 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

My gigantic barred owls dominate. One of my neighbors lost a small dog to one.

There's two of these that live somewhere in the woods out back of my house, as well as a screech owl that often comes and sits on my back fence.  Fun to listen to all of them when they decide to call to each other in the evenings.  

You must have the most trash-free surrounding.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wlwiles said:

There's two of these that live somewhere in the woods out back of my house, as well as a screech owl that often comes and sits on my back fence.  Fun to listen to all of them when they decide to call to each other in the evenings.  

Yeah, I try to mimic them and they call right back. My neighbor actually plays real owl calls over his laptop with external speakers and calls them in. We've had like 5 of them sitting right in trees behind our house making call after call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, gianmarco said:

Squirrel obstacle course

Appropriate for this thread, I think.

 

5 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I was strongly leaning Crow, but my son reminded me of the Mark Rober youtube on squirrels.  They are not only extremely intelligent and resilient, but have incredible acrobatic skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

The part that starts at about 16 minutes really illustrates the squirrel's awesome powers.

 

Can they drive Hondas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love crows for their intelligence, but I think their killing power is being overrated here.

Seems like a pertinent quote:  "Crow beaks aren’t even strong enough to break through the skin of a grey squirrel, though they will usually give it a try."

Link

And yes.  This is serious business.

This feels like an old school FFA discussion.

Team Squirrel

Edited by WDIK2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

If you're into Crows for the intelligence and communication and whatnot, check out Ravens in Winter.  Super interesting and basic science in its purest form.

Hearing there’s a movie version coming out directed by Cameron Crowe.

  • Thinking 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

Love crows for their intelligence, but 1.  I think their killing power is being overrated here.

Seems like a pertinent quote:  "Crow beaks aren’t even strong enough to break through the skin of a grey squirrel, though they will usually give it a try."

Link

2. And yes.  This is serious business.

3.This feels like an old school FFA discussion.

Team Squirrel

1. truff

2. truff

3. truff

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago, I saw two squirrels wrestling on our side deck.  They'd wrestle, one would fall off the edge of the deck, he/she/it would jump back up, they'd pause, then start wrestling again. I don't know what they were practicing for, but I was impressed by their diligence.   

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, belljr said:

I know whoever won the hawks in my backyard would just take out the winner

:thumbup: Those guys don't mess around. We have a bunch around us and I get nervous when they are circling around and our little dog is outside. She is nuts and kills rabbits bigger than her for fun (she weighs like 10 lbs) but if one of those hawks wanted to take her out, I don't think it would be too difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Squirrels have teeth capable of tearing through flesh, claws and extreme mobility.  The crow's only advantage is flight.   Once it goes to the ground, the crow is done for.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

Squirrels have teeth capable of tearing through flesh, claws and extreme mobility.  The crow's only advantage is flight.   Once it goes to the ground, the crow is done for.

And who's going to clip its wings, you?

The squirrel's teeth is what you're banking on?  Giraffes have gnarly teeth too.  Doesn't mean a damn if they don't have IT in them.  Crows most certainly do.  They will bludgeon to death, no problem, using their beaks as daggers.  They are cunning, relentless cold-blooded killers of anything that can result in a meal.  

See YouTube for proof.  Start with rabbits.

Then show us video of your gymnast with braces murdering and eating meat like a crow will do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:
7 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Squirrels have teeth capable of tearing through flesh, claws and extreme mobility.  The crow's only advantage is flight.   Once it goes to the ground, the crow is done for.

And who's going to clip its wings, you?

The squirrel's teeth is what you're banking on?  Giraffes have gnarly teeth too.  Doesn't mean a damn if they don't have IT in them.  Crows most certainly do.  They will bludgeon to death, no problem, using their beaks as daggers.  They are cunning, relentless cold-blooded killers of anything that can result in a meal.  

See YouTube for proof.  Start with rabbits.

Then show us video of your gymnast with braces murdering and eating meat like a crow will do.

No need to try to make the guy eat crow.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

And who's going to clip its wings, you?

The squirrel's teeth is what you're banking on?  Giraffes have gnarly teeth too.  Doesn't mean a damn if they don't have IT in them.  Crows most certainly do.  They will bludgeon to death, no problem, using their beaks as daggers.  They are cunning, relentless cold-blooded killers of anything that can result in a meal.  Not really.  Their diet consists mainly of human garbage.

See YouTube for proof.  Start with rabbits.  Baby bunnies which are kind of like hors d'oeuvres for every predator.

Then show us video of your gymnast with braces murdering and eating meat like a crow will doPlenty of video of squirrels eating baby birds.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WDIK2 said:

Not really.  Their diet consists mainly of human garbage.

You just described half of FBGs, and I'm pretty sure done of them could take a squirrel.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:
3 hours ago, WDIK2 said:

Not really.  Their diet consists mainly of human garbage.

You just described half of FBGs, and I'm pretty sure done of them could take a squirrel.

Maybe if you kicked them in the nuts.

  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ WDIK2, this is the only way I could answer (numbered) your replies, which are in red.

And who's going to clip its wings, you?

The squirrel's teeth is what you're banking on?  Giraffes have gnarly teeth too.  Doesn't mean a damn if they don't have IT in them.  Crows most certainly do.  They will bludgeon to death, no problem, using their beaks as daggers.  They are cunning, relentless cold-blooded killers of anything that can result in a meal.  Not really.  Their diet consists mainly of human garbage.

See YouTube for proof.  Start with rabbits.  Baby bunnies which are kind of like hors d'oeuvres for every predator.

Then show us video of your gymnast with braces murdering and eating meat like a crow will do.  Plenty of video of squirrels eating baby birds.

 

1. A crow's main diet has nothing to do with a squirrel vs crow faceoff.  Any animal will choose the path of least resistance for meals.  Grubbing on human garbage just shows the crow's smarts, if anything.  Piece of cake for them.

2. The point of the rabbit being bludgeoned to death shows how far crows can and will go.  And their weaponry and its effectiveness.  Comparing the bunny to hors d'oeuvres for other predators not involved in this death match is insignificant.

3. A squirrel eating a baby bird is less compelling.  Talk about hors d'oeuvres.  At least a baby rabbit has to be hunted down and killed.  You're presenting a helpless baby bird as evidence for a squirrel's might?  Talk about a sitting duck.  Those things are found on silver platters.  An earthworm has better D.

Edited by Rodrigo Duterte
quote function
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

You're presenting a helpless baby bird as evidence for a squirrel's might?

No, I was focusing on the eating meat part with the baby birds.  I love crows, and it's a testament to their smarts that they would avoid a confrontation with a squirrel or any other "prey" that could potentially do them harm.  They aren't a predator cruising over the neighborhood looking to swoop down on a full grown rabbit or squirrel like a hawk.  They are opportunistic.

You don't think a squirrel bite can damage a crow's wing?  I disagree. 

Are we talking about putting these 2 in a box with no escape?  If so, that eliminates flight for the crow.  If not, the crow will choose to flee.  :shrug: 

ETA:  Catching and killing a baby bunny found out in the open isn't hunting.  It's being opportunistic.  Nothing wrong with that.  I can catch baby bunnies in the yard and I'm a big dumb human.  The fattest, fluffiest, most pampered house cat will do a number on the baby bunny population.

Edited by WDIK2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WDIK2 said:

  The fattest, fluffiest, most pampered house cat will do a number on the baby bunny population.

My cat has killed adult rabbits and adult squirrels. He has never gotten his mits on a crow afaik.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, top dog said:

I get that crows are smart. I'm just not buying their killer instincts. Then again, the famous Hitchcock movie was called "The Birds", not "The Squirells". 🤷‍♂️

It was originally called The Squirrels but Hitchcock couldn't get enough squirrels to film the movie because of the shortage at the time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:
On 2/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, top dog said:

I get that crows are smart. I'm just not buying their killer instincts. Then again, the famous Hitchcock movie was called "The Birds", not "The Squirells". 🤷‍♂️

It was originally called The Squirrels but Hitchcock couldn't get enough squirrels to film the movie because of the shortage at the time. 

A shortage caused by the great crow culling of the squirrels of 1962.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...