What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Awards - Best Value For WR (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Fun series we're doing on our new Instagram. Hope you're following there too. 

Here's the question: Who wins the 2020 Award for Best Value at the WR position?

Let's hear who you think and more importantly, why. 

Stefon Diggs, again, sort of hands down. Not sure where his ADP was, but you were able to often get him in the sixth or seventh and he finished WR2* overall in PPR, if I'm not mistaken. Adams was a first-round pick, so even if he outscored Diggs, you got tremendous value in Diggs as opposed to investing first-round capital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robby Anderson. Minimal investment or for dynasty owners who’ve seen flashes of dominance and route running for years, one last shot in a new situation with a coach who believes in him. 

put up a remarkably consistent year even if it somewhat leveled out as the season wore on. Solid WR2 returns. Chance card as opposed to community chest moving forward

very similar to John Browns campaign the year before

Here are a few values for me:

1) Justin Jefferson - early waiver wire add in a TE team redraft league where I won. He was huge find

2) Keenan Allen - drafted round seven in a dynasty start up

3) Marvin Jones - drafted round 19 in a deep keeper league

Marvin Jones had a tremendous season and could be had for next to nothing. 

Stefon Diggs, again, sort of hands down. Not sure where his ADP was, but you were able to often get him in the sixth or seventh and he finished WR2 overall in PPR, if I'm not mistaken. Adams was a first-round pick, so even if he outscored Diggs, you got tremendous value in Diggs as opposed to investing first-round capital.
Agreed...the only other player I would throw into the mix is Justin Jefferson...probably drafted late first/early second in rookie drafts and he gave you the best season ever by a rookie WR.

Let 'em. He wound up on one of my teams and helped get them to a semi-final. If they think he's a clown, he'll wind up on my team again.
Gonna tell you an honest to god story... In summer's rookie draft in our long time dynasty league, I was offering AR up for 3rd round picks during the 3rd round, and not a single bite. not one. 

I wasnt actually going to do it, but I was shopping him for early firsts and got told by everyone he was a bum... so i started to see if they were all being legit, and sure enough... NO for 3rds.

(note: we're 12 close friends from all the way back in highschool, so i wasnt just being a full scumbag)

Gonna tell you an honest to god story... In summer's rookie draft in our long time dynasty league, I was offering AR up for 3rd round picks during the 3rd round, and not a single bite. not one. 

I wasnt actually going to do it, but I was shopping him for early firsts and got told by everyone he was a bum... so i started to see if they were all being legit, and sure enough... NO for 3rds.

(note: we're 12 close friends from all the way back in highschool, so i wasnt just being a full scumbag)
That's pretty stunning that nobody would give a third for him. Hard to believe, but sometimes leagues are weird about a guy. I tried offering James Robinson of the Jags for a first to a bunch of contenders and was met with a universal and stiff "no."

This is a two horse race between Diggs and Jefferson to me. Diggs was basically a 6th in most of my leagues and for that you got WR3. Jefferson was about a 10-12th rounder and in a lot of leagues a FA pickup after he was cut after a slow start. For that low to almost free cost you got WR12 on the season.

Tough call for me but I'm going to go with Diggs because of totality of his impact as WR3 over course of all season but when you add to that his impact in winning leagues when he was WR1 by a whopping 6 points a game he wins.

For 85% of the season it’s hard to argue that Calvin Ridley wasn’t the best bargain on the board as a 4.10-12 ADP guy. He was my MVP for a while there. 

Honorary mention for Crowder who I think I grabbed in the 12th (IDP) - when he had a QB he put up big numbers, especially PPR.  Unfortunately Darnold wend down, ruining him. 

Jefferson over Diggs for me.  In small leagues like mine, Jefferson was a FA pickup that lit it up.   Diggs was a huge value from where he was drafted but the guy that picked up Jefferson had an e Rey week starter out of nothing. 

clearly jefferson and diggs for me too, jefferson probably ahead of diggs in redraft just because I'd guess he was cheaper than diggs by enough to close any stat gap.

some honorable mentions for dynasty and keeper leagues: claypool, higgins and robby anderson. they're far behind jefferson/diggs, but easily outplayed their respective adp and any expectations going into week 1. i'd guess they'll be fairly valued next year so no longer "value" plays.

reagor and slayton are two guys I think could end up in this conversation next year with better respective QB plays.

Stefon Diggs, again, sort of hands down. Not sure where his ADP was, but you were able to often get him in the sixth or seventh and he finished WR2 overall in PPR, if I'm not mistaken. Adams was a first-round pick, so even if he outscored Diggs, you got tremendous value in Diggs as opposed to investing first-round capital.
Then recall what Diggs did Monday night week 16. 

Then recall what Diggs did Monday night week 16. 
Oh I recall as I sweated that one out...huge lead in my league.  Thankfully I had Bass.  Opponent actually went up by under a point on Diggs' last TD, I retook the lead on the XP.  And then Diggs did not go back in.  Crisis averted.

Definitely think Diggs is the pick...just a huge year.  Jefferson also good and I like the Ridley mention earlier...getting dinged late and Julio not being around as much to take some pressure off hurt him too much though.  Still a nice year.

Ridley is another good choice. I got Ridley'd in my semifinal in Summerpalooza over in the FFA. Tannehill had like 38, Ridley was over 25 that week. Goodbye, daydreams.

Allen is a good one but he finished the season poorly and killed one of my teams so I'm kinda mad at him.

Put me down for diggs

rockaction said:
Agree 100%

I would say

1. Diggs

2. Metcalf

3. Ridley

4. Cooks

I guess it also depends how you value a WW guy like Jefferson vs a drafted player. Also if you have a waiver budget, how much did you spend and how does that translate to draft value? It almost seems like two different categories: best draft value and best waiver add.

I guess it also depends how you value a WW guy like Jefferson vs a drafted player. Also if you have a waiver budget, how much did you spend and how does that translate to draft value? It almost seems like two different categories: best draft value and best waiver add.
Personally, all those things entered into my thinking. I just went with value as a general concept (for one set of generally drafted guys, I went with ADP and VBD, for the other guys I thought about waiver budgets, when they were picked up, and what that meant).

Personally, all those things entered into my thinking. I just went with value as a general concept (for one set of generally drafted guys, I went with ADP and VBD, for the other guys I thought about waiver budgets, when they were picked up, and what that meant).
I wasn’t thinking of WW when I did my list. I would have to put Jefferson quite high. Tee Higgins also deserves highlighting.

Users who are viewing this thread