What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Awards - Non Injury Fantasy Bust (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Fun series we're doing on our new Instagram. Hope you're following there too. 

Here's the question: Who wins the 2020 Award for Fantasy Bust? And please don't say players that were injured. 

Let's hear who you think and more importantly, why. 

DJ Chark bit me on quite a few teams this year. I can't really think off the top of my head who else really busted without injury. Ezekiel Elliott had an ADP of 2 according to Fantasy Pros. He finished like RB11. Both of those guys missed some games, though due to injuries to different body parts and of varying severity. CEH and Godwin (just so people don't think I'm bashing CEH again, Godwin is one of my favorites) also sort of busted but also missed games, too.

There really wasn't that big of a bust that wasn't injured this year. Does punching a teammate and supposed ankle sprain count? Because Michael Thomas cost a lot of teams with his absence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darius Slayton.  I believe he was drafted in the 25-30 range of WR's with high upside and finished out of the top 50.  And it is likely that many owners didn't even start him when he had his best game of the season (week1 vs the Steelers). 

Elliott’s decline was due largely to Dak’s injury, and the insult to it was a new coach who ignored the run game for huge swaths of the game, and incorporated Pollard a lot more than expected when he’d get back to it. Elliott’s own injuries came at a point when he was already kind of a dart throw flex option as opposed to a reliable weekly starter. 

He probably qualifies as a bust though for his top 3 ADP. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliott’s decline was due largely to Dak’s injury, and the insult to it was a new coach who ignored the run game for huge swaths of the game, and incorporated Pollard a lot more than expected when he’d get back to it. Elliott’s own injuries came at a point when he was already kind of a dart throw flex option as opposed to a reliable weekly starter. 

He probably qualifies as a bust though for his top 3 ADP. 
I mostly agree with all of that, but Pollard didn't start really subbing in until Zeke started asking out for whatever reasons, be it injury or fatigue. I can't tell you how many times Elliott was pulling himself out of the game this year. But, yeah, he was still a bust at his ADP in the top three, regardless of injury, really.

I mostly agree with all of that, but Pollard didn't start really subbing in until Zeke started asking out for whatever reasons, be it injury or fatigue. I can't tell you how many times Elliott was pulling himself out of the game this year. But, yeah, he was still a bust at his ADP in the top three, regardless of injury, really.
Yep. Not until Dak’s injury though. Prior to that he was putting up strong weekly numbers. He was never particularly dominant though - very few home run plays. I wonder whether COVID had some impact on him that we don’t know about. Respiratory damage could explain his tap-outs before his ankle injury later in the season. 

Yep. Not until Dak’s injury though. Prior to that he was putting up strong weekly numbers. He was never particularly dominant though - very few home run plays. I wonder whether COVID had some impact on him that we don’t know about. Respiratory damage could explain his tap-outs before his ankle injury later in the season. 
He didn't have many home run plays, you're right. Not tops in the explosive play category by any stretch. I also wondered about COVID and respiratory or musculoskeletal problems with Zeke, too. We might never know. 

I had Elliot. While he finished well below where I expected he was still 11th rb in my league. So not great, but not the reason I lost that league. I have to imagine there is a bigger bust than that. 

For me it was Todd Gurley. Though I am unsure if this is part of injury related or not. But down the stretch he fizzled out and got outstarted by Ito Smith. 

Expectations were lower this last year than in previous years, but I think Gurley should be considered for this “award”.

Mark Ingram. 

I knew that Dobbins would have a role in the running game, but I didn't think Ingram would be such a non-factor.   Fortunately I had both guys, but going from 1200 total yards and 15 TDs to the minimal amount that Ingram generated in 2020 was disappointing.   
He really disappeared when he played...the odd part is that while Dobbins had a real nice year he was not light's out...if you told me in August that Ingram would be such a non-factor I would have assumed it meant Dobbins put up huge numbers.

I hate to write this but I have to go with my guy, someone I still like and am trying to pick up but to me the biggest bust was CEH.

Mid to late first round for much of August but I did a few leagues that drafted after his big opener and he went top 5 in almost all of those.

Now he was serviceable, solid RB2 so that he was more of a help then a lot of these bust candidates but I give him the award because to me he was the only first round pick who in redraft teams of mine was not a sure start even when healthy. Mixon was getting close fwiw but he also was a second round pick as much as he was a first so I give this so CEH.

Also if I factored in those drafts I saw or was in after the Chiefs vs Texans opener I'd say David Johnson who shot up to around the 15-25 range. At least he paid off in the playoffs.

Conner missed a few games, but has to be in the conversation.

Also Lamar finishing at QB #10 has to be thought of as somewhat of a bust.

Users who are viewing this thread