What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zack Snyder's Justice League - Streaming on HBOMax - March 18th (1 Viewer)

:shrug: I get HBOMax for free, so worth every penny.
Same here so I may at some time end up seeing it. I did not realize it was the same movie released years ago? I never saw that one either. I don't think I ever saw a DC movie that truly worked for me. I did like the last Joker movie with Phoenix playing the Joker. The first wonder woman was ok but I did not care for it as much as others.

Looks awful. Justice League was OK, but I can't Imagine stretching it out to 4 hours. Joker really?

Batman v Superman was the mess. I can see trying to recut it. 

Four more hours of Henry Cavill's CGI mustache 
Not CGI.  He was shooting Mission Impossible and they wouldn't let him shave it for the Justice League re-shoots.  Watch the link I just posted.  The moustache is very specifically going to be gone from this movie...

I will watch it.

DC movies I like:

Man of Steel

Wonder Woman

Aqua Man

Joker

Batman vs Superman Extended Cut (filled some holes better).

The rest were very meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched Twitter to read some comments and there were a large amount of people saying they literally cried watching the trailer? That it was a dream of theirs for the last few years for this movie to be made? Wtf is going on. 

Yeah....this looks terrible. Most of the CGI is laughably bad (especially cyborg....oof)

It is pretty funny how DC just has no idea how to make a good movie. Marvel's 25th best movie is pretty much better than anything DC has done (other than the Nolan Batman trilogy).

I can and will make it through pretty much any movie, even if its a total piece of garbage. I couldn't make it through Batman vs Superman. Just a brutally bad film.

4 hours of this? Wow.

Looks awful. Justice League was OK, but I can't Imagine stretching it out to 4 hours. Joker really? 
This whole thing really baffles me. Are people really expecting that doubling (or whatever) the length of a terrible movie somehow is going to make that terrible movie good?  That said, I’ll probably watch it to see what kind of a train wreck it is, so I guess I’m part of the problem. 

This whole thing really baffles me. Are people really expecting that doubling (or whatever) the length of a terrible movie somehow is going to make that terrible movie good?  That said, I’ll probably watch it to see what kind of a train wreck it is, so I guess I’m part of the problem. 
Exactly. This movie needed less minutes, like zero. 

Maybe they'll recast Superman,  Batman,,  Flash,  &  Cyborg with less annoying actors?  Worth a shot. 

I have HBOMax for free so I’ll probably watch just to see if I don’t dislike it considering how bad it was.

Yeah....this looks terrible. Most of the CGI is laughably bad (especially cyborg....oof)

It is pretty funny how DC just has no idea how to make a good movie. Marvel's 25th best movie is pretty much better than anything DC has done (other than the Nolan Batman trilogy).

I can and will make it through pretty much any movie, even if its a total piece of garbage. I couldn't make it through Batman vs Superman. Just a brutally bad film.

4 hours of this? Wow.
Nolans Batman Trilogy is the pinnacle of comic book movies for me and I don’t even consider it part of the DC collection.

If people do then Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are on my list (1 and 2).

I'd put Shazam up with a good number of the MCU movies.....but this.... I don't know.

Joker/Shazam/Nolan Batman Trilogy/ 2/3rds of Wonder Woman/ 20% of Suicide Squad/ most of Cavills Man of Steel - DC has potential....I just think the people runnings these movies don't "get" the characters at all.  

I'm out on a limb, but I don't get the hate for these or why they're considered lesser tier than the Marvel movies. 

I said it before, I'll say it again.... DC should just straight into a KINGDOME COME movie franchise (older main heros as they deal with younger incantations) where it opens with basic narrative of: "You've all head the stories before (origin stories)....this is what happens after".  Then BAM!.....they have the ability to use their big heroes in a way not seen often (old Batman/more disillusioned and warlike Wonder Woman).  They can still use the brands and fall back on them when needed.... but more importantly they have the ability to create more characters from the templates Mark Waid and Alex Ross created.  Because really, that's DC's biggest problem; their heavy hitters are so big and powerful...they're unrelatable.  They're two dimensional personalities...and that exposes their complete lack of of both villains and secondary/more "human"  characters.

It happened a little with the MCU's Captain Marvel.....but just about EVERY other character is one who has been fleshed out and is liked (IMO) because of that.  Hell, Groot says three words and he has more of a personality than Wonder Woman....and I liked that Gal Gadot casting.   

Exactly. This movie needed less minutes, like zero. 
I liked the parts where Batman was trying to put the team together - otherwise it was bad. 
Put me in the camp can’t imagine that adding scenes that were cut out of a bad movie will somehow save it.

Because they’re bad and the marvel movies are good?
That's a pretty watered down and subjective way of looking at it, but like I said, I'm on my own little island in that thinking.  I don't really enjoy them any less than the MCU.  I do wish they'd done more of the backstory with the lesser characters though.  The stand alone movies for Flash and Aquaman being released after the Justice League films seems rushed and short sighted. 

That's a pretty watered down and subjective way of looking at it, but like I said, I'm on my own little island in that thinking.  I don't really enjoy them any less than the MCU.  I do wish they'd done more of the backstory with the lesser characters though.  The stand alone movies for Flash and Aquaman being released after the Justice League films seems rushed and short sighted. 
I dunno man. The DC movies are just truly horrible. I’m a huge Batman fan, he’s my favorite comic character and I can’t stand them. Both justice league and Batman vs Superman would be the worst movies marvel ever made, other than Thor 2 I guess. They’re just so, so bad. 

fwiw I thought Wonder Woman 1 was great. Second one was tedious. 

I'm out on a limb, but I don't get the hate for these or why they're considered lesser tier than the Marvel movies. 
Things Disney/Marvel did better.

Better writing.

Actors that really seem to embrace their roles.

A more coherent project in which they seemed to hold standards to every movie. There were throwbacks in movies that spanned years.  All the time.  They rewarded you for watching and being with them for the whole journey.

They went with a slow build that helped the viewer relate and embrace the characters/actors over a period of years.

General MARVEL v. D.C.

Marvel heroes and villians are, by and large, much more humanistic....much more relatable.  In a comic, amongst the comic fan....that's not as evident (or even cared for as much).....but to the casual viewer, I think it really matters. I'll give D.C. some credit in that they tried to bridge this gap in these past incantations.  Superman, AquaMan, Shazam.....there were attempts to make them more relatable. But in the end, they don't have really anything that can compare to the motivations of the heroes and villains in the MCU.

I'm a D.C. guy.....I think Batman is greates hero of all time.....Marvel/Disney just blew their doors off.  

I guess I just don't seek any of them out based on some kind of hierarchy.  With two little kids and a wife in the house I don't get much movie time anyway, so if I see one of them on it's kind of a go to regardless of it being DC or Marvel.  I like DC's darkness and Marvel's humor/story telling.  Batman was always my favorite character growing up too, so I'm maybe a little biased. 

One prime example of that is D.Cs inability to get Nightwing on screen in any meaningful way.   He's always been one of D.C.s most popular characters. 

Pratt/Evans/Holland......any of those guys could have played him; a top level martial artist/acrobat who is quick witted and likes to throw quips at his opponents while fighting; a PG/PG-13 Deadpool who is All-American and a legitimate hero. As it is....forr whatever reason, D.C. can't get past the idea that he's been a Robin first (hell...IIRC, he's been Nightwing longer than he's been Robin in comic book history) and therefore needs to be brought up thru the ranks of a Batman movie franchise. But when you're constantly rebooting and retooling your movie franchises....you never get to that point where he becomes Robin; nevermind the idea that he grows up, branches out on his own and becomes his own man.  

Batman is the most interesting DC character because he's human. He gets tested and he sometimes fails those tests. The Nolan films leaned into that- Wayne manor burned down, his girlfriend gets killed in the second one, and he got his ### kicked in the third. He has rules but sometimes he has to break them. Like don't bang any super villains. Ok, one. But just the one. And joker telling him he will have to break his one rule. 

But the main thing is that with batman there's natural conflict.  There are so many recognizable and interesting super villains in the batman universe, and they can "win" without batman dying. They all want him unmasked. They ####### destroy that poor city over and over. Ras al ghul knows who he is but tried to recruit him. The villains threaten people close to him. 

It's much different from marvel because they really can't make him funny.  It's completely out of character unless you want Adam West/Michael Keaton Batman. But Nolan did an awesome job getting Alfred to put in lines that were funny without being sarcastic.  RDJ Iron man pretty much lives on sarcasm, and Thor and the GotG did too. Captain America was more serious but they still gave him lines like i understood that reference and America's ###.

Then there's superman. There's nothing fun about him. He is stronger and better than everyone. He had an interesting origin story but it's done to death. Zod was interesting because they were ostensibly equals or he was even outmatched.  Let Luther, more kryptonite, some random alien bad guy, batman, darkseid... all boring unless they build it up. 

Marvel had that problem too, they had an alien army that invaded and then Hawkeye was killing them with arrows and you're like oh cool they're pretty much unstoppable. But then they built up Thanos over multiple movies and didn't even show him until later, and the first time they met him individually they got trounced. The first time they fought him as a team, they still got trounced. And they built up the consequences of losing for an hour of endgame. By the end you didn't know how they could win and even though they built it up to the point where you knew they had to win... they had consequences. Real, permanent consequences. 

Superman meets someone, fights them, oh no kryptonite... ok I got away from the kryptonite... and then he wins. It will always be ####ty until they find a way to make me believe he can lose.  The comics supposedly did that, maybe someone smart could build a franchise around multiple movies, but justice league didn't accomplish that. It was another one off story that sucked. Oh a slightly more powerful bad guy who they will still beat and get it tied up by the end of the movie. Neat. I've seen that before. Oh cool an origin story and they get together to work together. Again, seen it. 

If they want to fix dc they need to capitalize while Gal Godot is still young enough to wear that outfit, lean into aquaman as their most charismatic hero, lean into the bat villains because they don't have a current batman that anybody really cares about, and find a way to neuter superman without it being the same old kryptonite story. 

Intelligent aliens open up an underwater portal to earth, and begin to  overrun Atlantis. Some Amazonians try to fight them and get trounced. Superman appears to die.  The world leaders surrender.  Earth is lost. The aliens have come here for some Big Secret Thing that only earth has and we take for granted. Maybe it's our oceans. Maybe something cool like the infinity stones.  Regardless they're here and they're taking it and they're winning and we're all ####ed.  The justice league forms. They have to close off the portal. Aquaman has to lead them. It's not that easy because the aliens know he's coming. Wonder woman lassos the truth out of one of them. They find a way to revive superman. Again. But he's still weak and can't fight them one on one. He has to use his other powers and his intellect. They close off the portal eventually but superman is left permanently weakened. And the aliens are a long way away but now they know the Big Secret of why they have to come back to earth. To be continued.  That's the formula. We know who the good guys are... give me origin stories for the bad guys.

Of course this was a mess.  This is Snyder pouring everything he ever wanted to do for DC into one movie. Lots of really cool moments.

Watching this really makes me wish Snyder had been allowed to finish his version of the movie from the start.  So many future projects were being set up, the DC Universe would be a lot closer to Marvel in terms of quality as they are.

Of course this was a mess.  This is Snyder pouring everything he ever wanted to do for DC into one movie. Lots of really cool moments.

Watching this really makes me wish Snyder had been allowed to finish his version of the movie from the start.  So many future projects were being set up, the DC Universe would be a lot closer to Marvel in terms of quality as they are.
Yeah this version should have been released 5 years ago. After the first one I had no interest in watching a Flash movie if this is the Flash.  Much more interesting Flash now.

3/4 of the way though (will finish tonight).  It's still a hot mess and flat out bad compared to most of Marvel's offerings but it's better then the hot mess that was originally released.

One prime example of that is D.Cs inability to get Nightwing on screen in any meaningful way.   He's always been one of D.C.s most popular characters. 
Titans. Titans is coming back for season 3, and this time it has a new home. Originally developed for the US-only DC Universe app, the popular superhero show is expected to return sometime in 2021, making its debut on HBO Max as one of the streaming service's biggest exclusive offerings to-date.

4:3 aspect ratio

Tons of slow mo shots

Horrible sound track

I'm only a half hour in. Yikes
This might be the most surprising aspect for me. I’ve always thought his music and scene pairing to be top notch. The opening scene to Watchman is stunning. It’s been a disaster imo for JL. 

3 parts in. Flash is definitely the best part of this. Cyborg back story was decent.
Different strokes and all.  I absolutely hated him.  Like a not funny version of Spidey for the DC gang.  Plus it makes all the fight scenes need to be in slo-mo.    Anyway, I had to tap out again around the 2 1/2 hour mark.  I don't think I have it in me to finish this up.  

Users who are viewing this thread