Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Zack Snyder's Justice League - Streaming on HBOMax - March 18th

4 minutes ago, SWC said:

oh man this version is so much better holy smokes take that to the bank brohans  

Agreed. Tons of back story for other characters. I didn’t even get Cyborg in the first one. This one makes him a really good character. And the final battle between the JL and Steppenwolf was fantastic in this version. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

Agreed. Tons of back story for other characters. I didn’t even get Cyborg in the first one. This one makes him a really good character. And the final battle between the JL and Steppenwolf was fantastic in this version. 

Darkseid wasn't even in the original. How could you leave him out since his appearance sets up future movies. 

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

Darkseid wasn't even in the original. How could you leave him out since his appearance sets up future movies. 

My son: who do you think is stronger? Thanos or Darkseid

Darkseid loses battle with Earth in literally 5 minutes

My son: well I guess that answers question

7 minutes ago, jobarules said:

My son: who do you think is stronger? Thanos or Darkseid

Darkseid loses battle with Earth in literally 5 minutes

My son: well I guess that answers question

I don't remember Darkseid coming to earth in the movie.

3 minutes ago, jobarules said:

In the Zack Snyder cut? It was a flashback scene of WW telling Bruce Wayne about the Mother Boxes.

Ok yeah. In the fight long ago. Thanos kind of  lost as well to Wanda then reset time for the win.

Edited by Mile High

Have to admit..... as big a DC fan as I am...I had zero interest in the Josstice League movie when it came out and was fully prepared to dump on this when it came out....but it's pretty decent.  There's some Snyderism cringe but not nearly as much as I thought there'd be.  The Epilogue actually made me want them to continue the story as it was an excellent cliffhanger.  Leto, despite getting flamed for his Joker, was also excellent.  His Joker is just flithy. 

Edited by Thunderlips

I was wrong. Second half of this version was awesome. The fight with Steepenwolf was completely different and just as good as any Marvel movie. I really hope they do a second one with the way this one ended.

Also, it's weird how in the previous version Cyborg was basically and afterthought and in this one he almost seems like the main character. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I was wrong. Second half of this version was awesome. The fight with Steepenwolf was completely different and just as good as any Marvel movie. I really hope they do a second one with the way this one ended.

Also, it's weird how in the previous version Cyborg was basically and afterthought and in this one he almost seems like the main character. 

Snyder was interviewed on a local Philly radio show on Thursday and he actually straight up said he considered Cyborg to be the main character and essentially this was his origin story.

• Like 2

Any sign of Gentleman Ghost?  I would figure that in a freaking 4-hour monstrosity they could carve out some *$%& time for him, but I haven't seen anything yet.

I guess the boycott continues...

Edited by Uwe Blab

On 3/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, SWC said:

oh man this version is so much better holy smokes take that to the bank brohans  

It was a completely different movie. Really disliked the first one, really liked this one. There was actual backstory, and stuff was making sense. Sense!!! The scene when Diana was explaining the mother boxes and they actually cut back and forth, or Cyborg’s explanation scenes, both tied those stories into the main arc visually. For real storytelling. I think they finally watched a Marvel movie and took notes. Huzzah!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Football Freak said:

It was a completely different movie. Really disliked the first one, really liked this one. There was actual backstory, and stuff was making sense.

It really is a different movie. After watching it I was thinking why make the first movie like they did when you had all of this to choose from.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, AcerFC said:

Yeah, I really liked this version. You needed all the back story material not only to understand the plot, but to connect with the characters and ultimately the story itself. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mile High said:

It really is a different movie. After watching it I was thinking why make the first movie like they did when you had all of this to choose from.

Great question. Whedon basically discarded everything that would make this movie good, or at least less confusing. I’d start firing execs that gave a green light to the changes, too, because they clearly are not understanding or seeing the source material properly. I would change up the entire team that was put on DC. 

• Thanks 1

Who is the actor in the end?

Nevermind, that actually makes sense.

Wish they had kept a couple of the funny lines/parts of the first, but this is a lot better than the first.  WB execs and wheden need to be shot.

Edited by rascal

I have not seen all of the previous films. I am not sure if that would have helped or not? The beginning with Superman was a surprise to me. Is that something that happened in Batman vs Superman?

3 minutes ago, prosopis said:

I have not seen all of the previous films. I am not sure if that would have helped or not? The beginning with Superman was a surprise to me. Is that something that happened in Batman vs Superman?

Yes, Superman died at the end of Batman vs Superman

• Thanks 1

I thought I would hate it, and it's...ok.  It's now basically a mini-series, not a movie, so the comparisons to the original version sort of seem like apples & oranges.  It still manages to bite off more than it can chew, story and character-wise.  But as something to watch on a streaming service, I've done a lot worse.

Edited by thecatch

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

I thought I would hate it, and it's...ok.  It's now basically a mini-series, not a movie, so the comparisons to the original version sort of seem like apples & oranges.  It still manages to bite off more than it can chew, story and character-wise.  But as something to watch on a streaming service, I've done a lot worse.

Pretty much agree with this. Not bad, but never need to watch it again. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:44 AM, need2know said:

This movie wasn't good when it came out a few years ago.  Making it longer did not help.   Still terrible.

It didn't at all feel like they just "made it longer" to me.  What did you think about the changes in story lines?

13 minutes ago, foxco said:

Pretty much agree with this. Not bad, but never need to watch it again. 

Yea... not great, but it went from utterly forgettable movies to an indiviual movie with potential to move forward.

3 hours ago, matuski said:

It didn't at all feel like they just "made it longer" to me.  What did you think about the changes in story lines?

Was falling asleep so not sure

Watched it yesterday, as most are saying, it was much better than the theater cut.  I didn't know the original release was a mashup of competing studio exec's and director's visions.  It makes sense why it sucked so much now.  What a mess they created.  

Not bad, but slow in some spots.

And no movie should be 4 hours long. 

Deathstroke guy at the end was funny. The wife and I were like what in the hell....thought it was a DC cheap knockoff version of Deadpool (even with the Wilson last name). Had to look up who "Deathstroke" was.  

31 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Not bad, but slow in some spots.

And no movie should be 4 hours long. 

Deathstroke guy at the end was funny. The wife and I were like what in the hell....thought it was a DC cheap knockoff version of Deadpool (even with the Wilson last name). Had to look up who "Deathstroke" was.  

Deadpool is actually a knockoff of Deathstroke

• Thinking 1

I guess we no longer have spoiler tags?   Stop reading here if you care, I guess.

Did Snyder not know Doom Patrol was coming out?   "Oops, guess I shouldn't have killed that guy.   He's a key character in an upcoming series."   

I thought the Knightmare epilogue was dumb.

I also thought the Martian Manhunter epilogue was dumb and thrown in.  I get the studio said no Green Lantern, but that was just pointless.   

Why all the buildup to how important Lois Lane was to everything when she doesn't do anything?   They literally said it wasn't just about grounding Superman when he was freaking out about coming back...then she had nothing else to do with anything.   

Overall, it was a better movie than the Whedon version but way too long.   They could have cut the epilogues and a bunch of Cyborg stuff out and it would have been better at 3 hours.   

Funny how timing and the medium can change people’s perceptions.  If this had been released in theaters in 2017, based on DCs track record leading up to it (save the first Wonder Woman), I’m convinced that it would have crapped on by everyone.  Just another bloated, self-important Snyder-led debacle they would’ve said.

But in 2021, on a streaming service, when people have gotten more used to consuming first-run “movies” as longer-form storytelling (things like WandaVision, Mandalorian etc), and can watch it at their own pace, it comes off as not that bad.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished it up this weekend, and was thoroughly entertained.  (Disclaimer: I'm neither a "DC-guy" or a "Marvel-guy"). 

I actually like Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne better than Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, but like Bale's Batman better than Affleck's.  I'm not sure what that says about me as a human being, but it's not a comfortable feeling.  

I am only half way through this slog but so far it sounds like I am a complete 180 of everyone else.  I think this version is god-awful, much worse than the already bad original.  So slow moving, not at all entertaining, spending so much time explaining things I didn't need to know right away.

I'm not sure why there's this sudden idea that every character needs their origin story fleshed out before they can be in one of the movies.  Marvel certainly doesn't do that.  Black Widow has been in like 12 Marvel movies and we still are only just now about to get her backstory.  Wanda has been in like 4 and we just go hers via a TV show.  Black Panther just showed up in a Captain America movie and started fighting like he'd been there all along.

The humor in the theatrical cut was definitely a shameless attempt to mimic Marvel, but I think it was necessary.  The movie is just so slow and dry without it.

Worst of all is the corniness.  I am a sci-fi/fantasy geek so I am not looking for everything to be The Wire, but there are just so many eye rolling hokey moments in this thing I was practically embarrassed sitting next to my wife and watching it after I'd finally convinced her we needed to see it.

I rarely actually dislike a movie, but this is one of the few I can think of where I really wish I hadn't spent time watching it, and I don't know if I'll finish it (I don't think I've ever not finished a movie in my entire adult life before now).  Queue the hate, but I don't get the love of this thing.  It's really, really bad imo.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was decent.  Much better than the original one but that’s because that one was God awful and I didn’t get halfway through it. 

What left me miffed. though, was given they were already going to stream it, why didn’t they just cut it up and release it as a 4 part miniseries instead?  Lots of complaints about it being too long and that would have completely eliminated that feeling, while also keeping viewers on the platform longer.

58 minutes ago, hxperson said:

I thought it was decent.  Much better than the original one but that’s because that one was God awful and I didn’t get halfway through it. 

What left me miffed. though, was given they were already going to stream it, why didn’t they just cut it up and release it as a 4 part miniseries instead?  Lots of complaints about it being too long and that would have completely eliminated that feeling, while also keeping viewers on the platform longer.

You realize you didn't have to watch it all in one sitting, right?

47 minutes ago, -fish- said:

You realize you didn't have to watch it all in one sitting, right?

I didn’t.  I watched it over the course of 2 weeks.  I’m just saying that from a business/marketing perspective, I feel it would have made a lot more sense to break it up.  There’s a negative stigma that comes with a 4 hour movie that wouldn’t have been there as a miniseries.  Also would have given them an opportunity to generate more buzz.  

35 minutes ago, hxperson said:

I didn’t.  I watched it over the course of 2 weeks.  I’m just saying that from a business/marketing perspective, I feel it would have made a lot more sense to break it up.  There’s a negative stigma that comes with a 4 hour movie that wouldn’t have been there as a miniseries.  Also would have given them an opportunity to generate more buzz.  

This movie couldn’t have been more overhyped.  

22 minutes ago, Klimtology said:

Hey, what's up with HBO Max?

Does it have all the tv shows and movies that HBO, HBO on demand, and HBO Plus has?

That is, all the programming that HBO has?

It's 15 bucks a month.

TIA

Yes.  Plus a bunch more and things that will eventually only be available on HBOMax.  The nice thing is, for now, if you subscribe to HBO then you also get free access to HBOMax.