What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 NFL Free Agency Thread (1 Viewer)

Do the old rules still apply to FAs?  If a guy was franchised, you could sign him, but it cost you 2 #1s.   If so, why not spend the 2 picks on Dak instead of 4 on Watson?

Do the old rules still apply to FAs?  If a guy was franchised, you could sign him, but it cost you 2 #1s.   If so, why not spend the 2 picks on Dak instead of 4 on Watson?
Are you thinking of Restricted free agents?

I don't think you can just sign another team's franchise tagged player.

If you receive the non-exclusive franchise tag the team still has right of first refusal to match the contract or say no thanks andget 2#'1s in return.

Dak was put on the exclusive franchise tag however, which costs Dallas a little more, but under the exclusive franchise tag the player can not negotiate with any team as they can on the non-exclusive tag. Dallas putting the franchise tag on Dak and paying him a little more then the non-exclusive tag is a clear indicator they value or at least valued him more then 2 #1's.

Last edited by a moderator:
BoltBacker said:
Loved the Thuney to CIN, they need a veteran anchor(or two) on that line especially if they expect young players to turn this OL around and keep Burrow alive.
:wub:

-QG

ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports the "expectation is Baltimore won’t pursue a No. 1 wide receiver like Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay."

For fantasy purposes, Golladay and Robinson avoiding the Ravens is certainly for the best. The team's low-volume passing offense wouldn't offer the sort of opportunity that has made Golladay and Robinson consistent fantasy producers. In 2020, Ravens receivers ranked last in catches (137) and receiving yards (1,729). Hensley said Baltimore could pursue "one or two wide receivers from the second tier" -- wideouts like Sammy Watkins, A.J. Green, and Corey Davis. Dez Bryant and Willie Snead aren't expected back for the Ravens in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Kenny Golladay

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 2, 2021, 8:55 AM ET

I feel like FA is going to be anti climactic this year. Not much juice IMO. Black star me though. 
I disagree - I think there will be a lot of movement among skill position guys. Unfortunately for many UFAs, due to the cap situation, they’ll probably have to take less than in previous years. That could argue for many of these guys staying put, but their current teams in many cases are facing the same constraints in keeping their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be tons of movement but I just don't think there is much talent on the top end. A few QBs and a couple middle tier WRs and RBs.

barackdhouse said:
There will be tons of movement but I just don't think there is much talent on the top end. A few QBs and a couple middle tier WRs and RBs.
I think that's likely to be 100% true  but would you not say that's about par for the course?  Seems to me like most of the upper echelon players never make it to the open market. Trying to think of past years and kind of drawing a blank but last year was Cooper not the biggest name to reach UFA? Bell the previous season I'm thinking? Young in demand QB's almost never make it, if Dak does next year he'll probably be the first but we did have the hugely impactful Brady and Peyton sweepstakes in past years. Mainly what you are saying, the mid tier players who sometimes get such a good bump in FA they become something much more or at least their values spike.

Saying that, and I'll tie this into something Mac_32 was alluding to a few posts up, I do think this year should be better then most due to cuts that already started and are forthcoming and also we just have an increasingly trade friendly league and we've seen some fantasy whoppers, like Jimmy Graham to Seattle, during this time. It's enough for me to make the start of NFL FA one of my favorite few days of the year, basically after the draft and opening weekend I probably don't enjoy any other time in the NFL calendar more then first few days of FA.

I'd add one thing that did not go like I thought it would entering the year was a ton of starting RB's on the market. We got a few but so many RB's who I thought would enter FA just saw their values die from where they were to begin the year. Guys like Bell, Conner, Gurley, and players like Hunt resigning. I thought heading into the year we'd see a robust FA RB market, now it's average at best.

zamboni said:
I disagree - I think there will be a lot of movement among skill position guys. Unfortunately for many UFAs, due to the cap situation, they’ll probably have to take less than in previous years. That could argue for many of these guys staying put, but their current teams in many cases are facing the same constraints in keeping their own.
Could be a lot of 1 year prove it deals, or we may see a lot more spread out guaranteed money or 2nd year big roster bonuses. Cap shrinks this year but is expected to explode in 2022.

Best fantasy football landing spots for five NFL free agents

The beginning of NFL free agency is inching closer and it could be a lot of fun for both fantasy players and fans of individual teams alike. There are so many possibilities in free agency, making it one of the most unpredictable parts of the off-season news cycle.

It also gives us a chance to play armchair GM, placing free agents on teams that would be great for fantasy purposes and, in some cases, help the fantasy teams you're managing.

Here’s a look at five players who are about to hit free agency and the teams that would be the most fun landing spot for fantasy purposes. We’ll also pick a landing spot that makes sense from a positional and salary cap sense.

Jameis Winston

Fun Fantasy Landing Spot: Carolina Panthers

Speak it into existence!

There’s a lot to love for the Carolina Panthers offence. Look at those playmakers: Christian McCaffrey, D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson, and the guess is that they will be adding another wide receiver, tight end or complementary running back as part of Matt Rhule’s retooling of this team. The only thing missing is a quarterback.

Love him or hate him, Jameis Winston makes football interesting. There’s talent there – you don’t throw 33 touchdowns in an NFL season by accident. I know what you’re thinking though: the interceptions. He’s not quarterbacking my team so I don’t care as much about that and if he’s on your fantasy team, you probably shouldn’t worry about it too much either. Most leagues don’t punish you enough with negative points for interceptions, so ride the touchdown wave.

Winston was QB6 before leaving Tampa to be the backup in New Orleans, so you can expect that if he goes to a team like Carolina that he’s going to sling it.

Logical Landing Spot: New Orleans

After seeing how Drew Brees finished the last two seasons, it’s clear the clock has struck midnight for him. And while Taysom Hill is a nice idea, he just doesn’t work for me as a starting NFL quarterback over the course of an entire season. Winston has spent a year with the team, so he knows the playbook. It’s not an awful landing spot fantasy-wise, either, with some established players like Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas, plus the potential emergence from second-year tight end Adam Trautman.

Aaron Jones

Fun Fantasy Landing Spot: San Francisco 49ers

This one might raise a few eyebrows because the 49ers’ backfield situation always seems to be a hot-hand approach and you never know what to expect.

But what about the thinking that maybe Kyle Shanahan hasn’t had the workhorse running back in his stable to really unleash? This is the angle I’m taking with this landing spot.

This would be such a fun team for Aaron Jones, especially considering his RB5 finish last season, his ability to catch passes, run between the tackles and the pairing with a brilliant offensive mind like Shanahan. The 49ers love to run the football and Jones can certainly fill any role in that offence, a trait the head coach absolutely loves in his players, as seen with the drafting of Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk and the signing of Jerick McKinnon a few years ago.

Logical Landing Spot: Miami Dolphins

This would be a good fantasy landing spot for Jones as well, but not nearly as good as San Francisco. Miami makes a lot of sense financially as the team has some cap space and from a roster perspective. Myles Gaskin was good in the lead role last season and provided a good spark for Miami’s offence, but he isn’t Aaron Jones.

Having a running back like Jones will help the Dolphins offence, and in particular, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, immensely. On a team that boasts some good playmakers, this might help push them closer to a playoff spot.

Allen Robinson

Fun Fantasy Landing Spot: Green Bay Packers

For this one, we turn back the clock a little bit. The last time Allen Robinson was a free agent, the Packers were right there with the Chicago Bears as one of the suitors for his services. Eventually, as we know, they lost out to their division rivals.

Plenty believe the Packers are in desperate need of another top-end wide receiver to complement Davante Adams. While this narrative is a tad bit overblown, it would still be a ton of fun to watch those two wide receivers in the same offence. How do you defend that?

It would give Aaron Rodgers the best one-two punch he’s ever had and would also keep him very relevant as a top fantasy option for another few seasons. It would hurt Adams' fantasy numbers as you would expect Robinson to eat into some of that workload, plus whatever Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Allen Lazard accumulated.

We’ve always wondered what kind of numbers Robinson would put up if he had a great quarterback, and this would be one of those opportunities.

Logical Landing Spot: Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens desperately need an alpha wide receiver and Robinson fits that bill. However, I can also hear the collective groans as people read this. It would be a terrible spot for Robinson from a fantasy perspective. In fact, it may be one of the worst fantasy landing spots for any top wide receiver.

Having said that, it would do wonders for Lamar Jackson to get a top-end wideout on the roster to pair with some talented playmakers in J.K. Dobbins, Mark Andrews and Marquise “Hollywood” Brown, but will it change their offensive approach? I doubt it. The Ravens threw the ball a league-low 25.9 times per game in 2020. That certainly doesn’t bode well for Robinson to reach his full season averages of 88 catches for 1,170 yards and 8.25 touchdowns.

If Robinson ends up in another situation with an inaccurate quarterback, especially with his pick of the litter, we can then all blame him for his choices.

Will Fuller

Fun Fantasy Landing Spot: Los Angeles Chargers

Not only does this fall under the category of a great fantasy landing spot but it also could be the most fun landing spot.

Will Fuller set career highs in basically every statistical category in 2020 and only played 11 games due to a violation of the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing drugs. It was an unfortunate end to what was shaping up to be a special season. Fuller was on pace for 77 catches for 1,278 yards and 12 touchdowns on 109 targets. That would have been a WR4 finish in standard and WR6 finish in PPR scoring.

The Chargers would offer a great spot for a burner like Fuller to land because of quarterback Justin Herbert’s deep-ball ability. The rookie threw for 953 yards on passes over 20 yards, which was good enough for sixth in the league, while also throwing the second-most touchdowns on passes over 20 yards with 12.

It seems like the perfect marriage – Fuller’s 4.32 second 40-yard dash time to go along with a gunslinger like Herbert.

Logical Landing Spot: Green Bay Packers

The Packers were interested in Fuller ahead of the trade deadline but couldn’t come to an agreement with the Houston Texans. This would be the Packers’ counter to not being able to sign a bigger name like Robinson, but would be a really good fit. Fuller’s blazing speed and sure-handedness would be a suitable replacement for the drop-prone Valdes-Scantling. This might also be a little easier for Green Bay to fit under the salary cap considering Fuller’s previous injury history could mean a bit of a discount on the cap hit.

This would also be a pretty good landing spot for Fuller for your fantasy team and it wouldn’t be nearly as much of a hit to Adams’ numbers as someone like Robinson would be.

Hunter Henry

Fun Fantasy Landing Spot: Seattle Seahawks

Russell Wilson hasn’t had a good tight end to use as a security blanket and end-zone threat since Jimmy Graham left town after the 2017 season and it’s something that is needed in Seattle. The Seahawks could use a playmaker at the tight end position, especially one who converted four of six red-zone targets into touchdowns last season.

At six-foot-five, 250 pounds, Hunter Henry is a big-bodied, athletic tight end who can be a safety valve for Wilson, who has seemingly been running for his life since he came into the league behind a shoddy offensive line. Health is a bit of a concern for Henry as he has yet to play a full season in his career, but he has produced when on the field. His full-season averages would be 58 catches for 653 yards and seven touchdowns.

It would be a pretty lethal combo to have Henry along with DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett in the passing game to go along with Wilson’s accuracy. Now, if Pete Carroll would only let Wilson throw the ball.

Logical Landing Spot: Indianapolis Colts

Carson Wentz is now at the helm of the Colts and there is a need for an athletic tight end with Trey Burton and Mo Alie-Cox being free agents. Wentz comes from Philadelphia where he had a couple of good tight ends in Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert. A reliable, athletic tight end is necessary for this offence to succeed with Wentz at quarterback as that has been what has worked in the past.

The Colts are also loaded with cap space, so they can afford to overpay for a player like Henry if they need to.

Tyrell Williams signs a 1yr prove it deal in DET that I can only imagine is for a very low price. If DET lose both Golladay and Jones to FA he could end up playing a bigger role than expected. You would think that they will draft a guy if both their starting WR's leave but I'm always surprised more teams don't make moves like this so they don't HAVE TO draft a WR high and can leave them more wiggle room to just draft best player. Cephus could also be a sneaky stash in deep leagues if both guys leave.

The expectation is Golladay gets franchise tagged but we'll have to see if DET is willing to spend $16Mil+ on a WR in what some are expecting to be a much more run oriented offense moving forward. 

Tyrell Williams signs a 1yr prove it deal in DET that I can only imagine is for a very low price. If DET lose both Golladay and Jones to FA he could end up playing a bigger role than expected. You would think that they will draft a guy if both their starting WR's leave but I'm always surprised more teams don't make moves like this so they don't HAVE TO draft a WR high and can leave them more wiggle room to just draft best player. Cephus could also be a sneaky stash in deep leagues if both guys leave.

The expectation is Golladay gets franchise tagged but we'll have to see if DET is willing to spend $16Mil+ on a WR in what some are expecting to be a much more run oriented offense moving forward. 
As a TyWill shareholder I’m happy with that landing spot. Geoff is likely to throw a lot & whatever happens with Golladay, Marvin Jones is gone.

i think I paid $4/500 3 years ago. I’m comfortable holding. He was money for 1/2 a season in Oakland. 

Maybe it was mentioned but Golden Tate was released from NYG, he had a PED suspension but prior to Matt Patricia taking over the Lions he was catching a lot of balls from Stafford, I see him finding his way to Los Angeles for a small contract and a chance to compete. 

Like 1 master thread for all the fee agent moves. Easy to find out what has happened. 

Users who are viewing this thread