What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 NFL Free Agency Thread (1 Viewer)

Bill gettin busy wow
As I posted in the Patriots thread yesterday, with the cap surplus they had for 2021 and so few players signed past this year, NE had $211M worth of projected cap room for the 2022 season. They literally could create an entirely different roster for next year. They also have opt-out guys they can drop or renegotiate without big penalties, so they can open up even more space.

As I posted in the Patriots thread yesterday, with the cap surplus they had for 2021 and so few players signed past this year, NE had $211M worth of projected cap room for the 2022 season. They literally could create an entirely different roster for next year. They also have opt-out guys they can drop or renegotiate without big penalties, so they can open up even more space.
That's crazy

Can't remember Bill spending this kind of dough before. Must have been a humbling experience sucking last year and missing the playoffs. 
During the season in an interview BB basically called 2020 a reset year due to the dead cap money they had on the books, a lot of high priced veteran contracts that were winding down, and the COVID situation. Now that they have cap room, they can actually sign some players. Whether they end up with the right players at the right price is a different story, but they are at least bringing in some new blood.

LB Jarrad Davis to the Jets on a 1-year deal for $7M.
S Rudy Ford two-year, $4.2 million deal with the Jags. WR Jamal Agnew also to the Jags.

Smart. And if they can swing it, they should sign Trent Williams too. We all saw how average the offense looks without good blocking 
IMO, Thuney is good but not worth that amount of money. He was the 2nd highest paid guard last year and ranked as the 14th best at his position by PFF. 

Spotrac projected his market value at 4 years, $54 million. He got 5 years, $80 million (if he sees it all).

Per Rapoport, Thuney’s deal has first 2 years guaranteed for $32.5M. Year 3 is injury only but converts to full guarantee in year 2. So $48M practically guaranteed.

Interesting. Bert Breer said Pats were neck and neck with KC and in it right down to the wire. I think they are better off letting him go.

Seeing blurbs about G Joe Thuney to the Chiefs. 5 year deal. $80 million.
Huge upgrade for KC in a much needed area, although giving top-5 OT money to a guard is a little wild -- they still have 0 proven starting-caliber tackles. Must be pretty high on Lucas Niang.

Per Tom Pelissero, the Chargers are expected to sign all-pro center Corey Linsley. The longtime Packers standout has a new home on a deal expected to make him the NFL's highest-paid center.

ETA: 5 years/$62.5 million

Last edited by a moderator:
Per RapSheet, the 49ers are signing OLB Samson Ebukam to a two-year deal worth $12 million that can be worth up to $13.5 million with incentives.

Can't remember Bill spending this kind of dough before. Must have been a humbling experience sucking last year and missing the playoffs. 
Obviously they had cap space in a year many did not but at some point I wonder how much having a head coach and owner approaching 70/80 respectively is making them try and speed up the rebuild timeline.

Obviously they had cap space in a year many did not but at some point I wonder how much having a head coach and owner approaching 70/80 respectively is making them try and speed up the rebuild timeline.
The issue is their drafts have been very bad so they really did not have a choice...this is not a go for it free agency but a building a foundation free agency.

Kraft the owner will be 80 in a few months, but from what I can tell he isn't that actively involved in the day-to-day operation of the team all that much. It's his son that is the one that is more involved. I think a better question is how likely would BB want to stay involved with a team that wasn't very good, so he is the one pushing to get the team back into contention. TB12 winning the SB has given him more motivation to win.

WFT has what top 6 most money to spend and not a single signing yet. What a huge difference from the Vinny/Allen years where we would have overpaid and had 2-3 big signings already. Still hoping either JuJu or Samuel signs to run opposite McLaurin. 

WFT has what top 6 most money to spend and not a single signing yet. What a huge difference from the Vinny/Allen years where we would have overpaid and had 2-3 big signings already. Still hoping either JuJu or Samuel signs to run opposite McLaurin. 
Somewhere along the line today, I saw a Tweet that mentioned that JuJu told his teammates he won't be returning to PIT. So there's hope.

Huge upgrade for KC in a much needed area, although giving top-5 OT money to a guard is a little wild -- they still have 0 proven starting-caliber tackles. Must be pretty high on Lucas Niang.
think they do like Niang....and they get Duvernay-Tardif back as well

LT-TBD

LG-Thuney

C-TBD

RG-Duvernay-Tardif

RT-Niang

obviously still some work to do in FA.....some have KC attacking OT in first few rounds including the first....gut says what was a nightmare situation will be ok by the time the dust settles.....don't think they can afford to make a huge splash at LT in FA but we will see...

Thuney to the Chiefs.

Cut both OT, and sign the most expensive OG?  Hmmmm
The thing is, the two guys they cut were both coming of injuries. Fisher tore his Achilles in the AFC Championship game, so his availability for 2021 was really iffy (and expensive).

And Swartz missed a large part of the season with a bad back and recently had back surgery (and he was also really expensive).

Those were moves they HAD to make. 

Users who are viewing this thread