Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 NFL Free Agency Thread

Not official yet : Michael Brockers to Detroit  https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-finalizing-trade-to-send-dl-michael-brockers-to-lions

The Detroit Lions and Los Angeles Rams are at it again.

Having previously agreed to swap quarterbacks in a deal that is set to become official at the start of the new league year, the Rams are finalizing a deal to send veteran defensive lineman Michael Brockers to the Lions, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’ll be nevermore if he becomes a Raven.

Seeing blurbs about G Joe Thuney to the Chiefs. 5 year deal. $80 million.

Given the cap situations league wide I think it's going to be a circus. 

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

WR John Brown to LVR. 

I think that's a good signing for them. He may not be overly productive, but perhaps a good mentor for their young WR crop.

39 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I think that's a good signing for them. He may not be overly productive, but perhaps a good mentor for their young WR crop.

Now he just needs David Carr to throw the ball past 15 yards.

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

David was one of the more underperforming #1 overall draft picks.

That poor guy was a tackling dummy.  His o-lines were horrendous.  Seems to be a Texans tradition.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tha Guru said:

That poor guy was a tackling dummy.  His o-lines were horrendous.  Seems to be a Texans tradition.

Then there's KC. They shelled out $80M for Joe Thuney and were prepared to give Trent Williams over $100M (but couldn't land him).

1 hour ago, Tha Guru said:

He is the prototype of how not to develop a young QB...they hung him out to dry.

• Like 2

If anyone can explain what the new Broncos GM is doing, please do...

...they say they want to bring in vet QB competition for Lock...now they're all gone...no way they'll get Watson

...re-sign an over-the-hill Von Miller...which screams Win Now but far too many roster holes for that...

...effectively kicked fan fave Phillip Lindsay to the curb...

...9th draft spot no man's land for rookie QB w/o giving away the farm to move up.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

If anyone can explain what the new Broncos GM is doing, please do...

...they say they want to bring in vet QB competition for Lock...now they're all gone...no way they'll get Watson

...9th draft spot no man's land for rookie QB w/o giving away the farm to move up.

The Bears will give you either Dalton or Foles (or both), and their 20th pick for your 9th. :)

• Like 1
Just now, barackdhouse said:

Is anything even happening today? The first official day of FA? So anticlimactic this year. I want to see any of the big 4 WRs go to Washington. 

Technically it's not official until 4:00 PM Eastern. And a handful of teams still have to get under the salary cap before then.

30 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Bears said to have offered three first round draft picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson. 

Wow. Not sure who is dumber, the Bears for making that offer for wilson (instead of for a younger Watson) or Seattle for not taking it.

4 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Is anything even happening today? The first official day of FA? So anticlimactic this year. I want to see any of the big 4 WRs go to Washington. 

It's been super slow for fantasy impactful related signings for sure. Hoping things pick up as well as some trades other then one's we already know about start coming down in a few hours when they can start being official.

5 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

Wow. Not sure who is dumber, the Bears for making that offer for wilson (instead of for a younger Watson) or Seattle for not taking it.

Someone said one possible reason they declined is because those future 1sts were likely late. Lol as ####### if. Disclosure I'm a Bears fan since the 70s I can say these things.

9 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Technically it's not official until 4:00 PM Eastern. And a handful of teams still have to get under the salary cap before then.

I'm so bored. Mom, WHERE'S THE MEATLOAF??! NM I SEE IT.

• Laughing 1
7 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

IMO, Wilson was never realistically going to get traded. It was posturing to upper management that he wasn't happy. SEA would have to take an immediate $39 million cap charge. And they'd have no one else to play QB. They are said to have $17M in cap space (but would actually lose $7 million of it by trading Wilson). And they would not be in position to draft one of the top QBs on top of it. So yeah, lots of bluster in the Wilson trade narratives.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

I vote neither team was dumb but impossible to say for sure unless we knew who the two starters were. Are they players that the Bears needed/wanted to pawn off or truly valued players?

7 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

IMO, Wilson was never realistically going to get traded. It was posturing to upper management that he wasn't happy. SEA would have to take an immediate $39 million cap charge. And they'd have no one else to play QB. They are said to have $17M in cap space (but would actually lose $7 million of it by trading Wilson). And they would not be in position to draft one of the top QBs on top of it. So yeah, lots of bluster in the Wilson trade narratives.

Yeah he was never going anywhere. I don't mind Pace bringing it to get a franchise QB. This was never a thing though. Watson is the obvious target if they're going that route. I still think it's possible if not likely the Houston situation is so toxic that the Bears know better than to bother. I mean maybe Wilson was more realistic. But if they're willing to spend that kind of cheese maybe they're willing to do something similar to move up in the draft? If so I don't hate the Dalton move. He *is* actually better than what they had yesterday morning.

14 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

IMO, Wilson was never realistically going to get traded.

5 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Yeah he was never going anywhere.

My opinion differs from both of yours. I think they would trade him but two conditions apply and it's extremely hard to pull them both off.

1. They'd need to get a viable replacement QB or draft pick to potentially select a replacement. This is by far the trickiest part of the process but SEA simply can't deal 2 #1's for Jamaal Adams and then turn around  the next year and leave themselves in a rebuild without a viable QB.

2. The trade would need to happen after June 1 which makes item #1 even more difficult as that removes SEA getting a pick to draft a QB out of the equation.

I'm not predicting he gets traded, I'd bet my money on not, but I still believe the Jets if they don't draft a QB at 2 and Raiders both have potential to make something happen for Wilson after June 1.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, menobrown said:

My opinion differs from both of yours. I think they would trade him but two conditions apply and it's extremely hard to pull them both off.

1. They'd need to get a viable replacement QB or draft pick to potentially select a replacement. This is by far the trickiest part of the process but SEA simply can't deal 2 #1's for Jamaal Adams and then turn around  the next year and leave themselves in a rebuild without a viable QB.

2. The trade would need to happen after June 1 which makes item #1 even more difficult as that removes SEA getting a pick to draft a QB out of the equation.

I'm not predicting he gets traded, I'd bet my money on not, but I still believe the Jets if they don't draft a QB at 2 and Raiders both have potential to make something happen for Wilson after June 1.

I still think the chances would be extremely low. SEA would have to eat that $39M in dead cap money regardless . . . the only difference is they could take it across two seasons instead of one. But by then the draft would have come and gone and all the available options in free agency would have come and gone (admittedly not a lot of great options anyway). So the Seahawks would have to take on Darnold as their only real option at QB. And one would have to think that with Wilson the Jets would be better . . . probably better enough to be a middle of the pack team. So the future picks SEA would get from NYJ won't be Top 10 picks. The Seahawks at that point would be punting this year and switching to rebuild mode (which I am guessing isn't really something that Pete Carrol would love at his age).

Just now, Anarchy99 said:

I still think the chances would be extremely low. SEA would have to eat that $39M in dead cap money regardless .

OTC show the dead cap dropping to $13M if dealt after June 1 and I don't think it matters anyway.  Only cap space matters and they gain $19M in cap space if he's dealt after June 1 vs losing $7m if deal before.

As for replacements  and not getting to touch the 2021 draft I touched on that in my post, these are problems for sure. But  I think Carr could run an offense the way Carrol wants it run, it's a perfect fit IMO. Darnold I'm not sure but Carroll does want to run the type of offense that Wilson wants to run and it's a problem I'm not sure is going away.

Agree odds are low, I just disagree it's not possible.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, menobrown said:

They'd need to get a viable replacement QB or draft pick

That is why it was never going to happen for the Bears. I don't know who they'd find after June 1st. The climate in Seattle got a lot crappier though. Wouldn't be surprised if they do in fact move on somehow.

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

OTC show the dead cap dropping to $13M if dealt after June 1 and I don't think it matters anyway.  Only cap space matters and they gain $19M in cap space if he's dealt after June 1 vs losing $7m if deal before.

As for replacements  and not getting to touch the 2021 draft I touched on that in my post, these are problems for sure. But  I think Carr could run an offense the way Carrol wants it run, it's a perfect fit IMO. Darnold I'm not sure but Carroll does want to run the type of offense that Wilson wants to run and it's a problem I'm not sure is going away.

If they move for Carr expect buildings on fire in Seattle.

1 minute ago, barackdhouse said:

That is why it was never going to happen for the Bears.

Agree and why I said I did not think any of those teams, Bears or SEA, were stupid to offer what Bears reportedly did or for SEA to say no thanks.

1 minute ago, menobrown said:

Spotrac has the following numbers . . . not sure why they are different than OTC.

Pre 6/1 release: $58M dead cap
Pre 6/1 trade: $39M dead cap
Post 6/1 release: $32M dead cap in 2021 / $26M dead cap in 2022
Post 6/1 trade: $13M dead cap in 2021 / $26M dead cap in 2022 (with $19 million cap savings in 2021)

So sure, they would get some cap relief in 2021 . . . but would still have to eat $39M in dead cap money (including $26M next year). That is a huge chunk of the cap to NOT have someone on your team.

4 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Agree and why I said I did not think any of those teams, Bears or SEA, were stupid to offer what Bears reportedly did or for SEA to say no thanks.

"The Bears are stupid" is sort of my default mindstate as a longtime Bears fan. I've been in a holding pattern for decades waiting for them to prove me wrong. Hasn't happened yet. I think Seattle would be monumentally stupid had they accepted. The fact they didn't is actually very smart to me. Should have been an easy decline though. 

If they really are headed for a divorce in Seattle, though, Carroll should be the one. That's probably even less likely but IMO once you've lost the locker room (and an entire region of the country) it is too late. Regardless of whether it is fair or not. Wilson is *adored* by the fanbase. If they move him it needs to be Hershel Walker level. The Bears offer wasn't really that good. Not that they had more to give but no way.

18 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

a lot of buzz about Golladay going to the Giants...some twitter posts about it, but can't find anything official yet...

kinda think those were troll posts

but still surprising KG, Samuel, Fuller and JJSS are all still looking for deals

6 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

kinda think those were troll posts

but still surprising KG, Samuel, Fuller and JJSS are all still looking for deals

They're going to fall like dominoes.

30 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

a lot of buzz about Golladay going to the Giants...some twitter posts about it, but can't find anything official yet...

There's been buzz on Golladay to the Giants since the tampering period opened.

Raiders trading C Rodney Hudson and a 7th to the Cardinals for a 3rd.

I'd love to see Golladay to the Giants. They need that kind of a receiver. Would love to see Juju to the Football Team and I'd love to see Fuller anywhere that makes him tradable for me and I'm curious to see about Samuel. Don't know what to think of him. Jets?

1 minute ago, barackdhouse said:

I'd love to see Golladay to the Giants. They need that kind of a receiver. Would love to see Juju to the Football Team and I'd love to see Fuller anywhere that makes him tradable for me and I'm curious to see about Samuel. Don't know what to think of him. Jets?

Samuel has been smoke/fire with WFT the whole time on my Twitter feed. We shall see...

4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Bears said to have offered three first round draft picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson. 

Is what I think I heard correct - that if the Seahawks trade Wilson they get a $39m dead money hit?